PDA

View Full Version : anyone else view "long hair" as being....

ALenee
March 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM
... atleast hip length? I know everyone has a different opinion, however, about a yr ago I cut my hair (about 7" off) bringing it to a very short (in my opinion) 29" then 3 mos later I cut another 2" off! GASP! I liked it, but knew I wanted my long 36" tbl hair back! I'm almost back, just at hip length (33.5"), and just now feeling like I have long hair. Not to mention I recently shut it in the car door lol!

I couldn't help giving my co-worker a funny look when she referred to her bsl hair as "long" I meant no offense, I think she understood why I didn't share her view.

Anyone else?

P.s. its good to be back! :cheese:

autumnsdaughter
March 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Being that the cultural norm in the USA seems to be at about shoulder length or shorter for adult females, I see how anything longer than that could be seen as long. I had my hair at about APL for a long time, and it was constantly being referred to as long. At just past BSL, I am getting tons of comments about "growing my hair super long." I won't personally consider my hair to be long until I hit waist. Right now I consider my hair to be "mid-length."

PineappleJello
March 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have never been able to think of anything above my jeans as being long. I grew up with very long hair so to me Bra length is meduim hair.

ALenee
March 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Koots- same here, I grew up having LONG hair... when I was at 27" it felt like a bob!

Autumsdaughter- really?? Do they have very short hair??

autumnsdaughter
March 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Not particularly! Many of them have APL hair... so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why just past BSL is "super long!" :p Ah well. This is the longest I've ever had my hair, so to me it feels longer, but not long, if that makes sense. :D

Robbi Dehlinger
March 14th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Haha

Only some of us on THIS site would consider BSL as short hair??:)

Brenda714
March 14th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Dear Alenee, Do you mind my asking, how long did it take to grow out the layers and bangs to get back to where you are now? That's how my hair was cut and it feels like a stupid shag, I just hate it. Any tips would be appreciated. Your hair is so beautiful!!!

ALenee
March 14th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Robbi- is that right? So funny, cause when I see a lot of the hair here, I have major envy. Makes mine look shoooort!

Robbi Dehlinger
March 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Robbi- is that right? So funny, cause when I see a lot of the hair here, I have major envy. Makes mine look shoooort!

Hi there

Well, it seems that longer than BSL is long here?? (No stereotyping plz):))

I am amazed (and pleased) that so many of us wnat it TBL or longer

KNEE OR LONGER OR BUST:cheese:

Katurday
I used to see long as waist, but now its progressed to hip. I wouldn't be happy with my longest strands brushing waist. Truthfully, true blue long for me is tailbone.

ALenee
Brenda- I still have the layers and bangs.. I like the layers as they give my hair body and a nice soft V hemline. I'm not a fan of blunt hemlines.

Rhiannon7
March 15th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah! i feel like laughing when people gasp and say **your hair is super long. how can you manage such long hair?** and my hair is barely waist length! what are they going to say when it's classic or beyond? i am learning to just ignore those comments, just smile and say, quite nicely thank you. i used to glare at them, and walk away. now i think different, for me hair is not long until it is waist. from there on it is long. but i was raised with long hair everywhere so short (BSL and above) hair is always short for me.

HintOfMint
March 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
The eye adjusts very quickly, I think.

If you watch mainstream movies and tv, and consume American pop culture, then "long" will be around BSL or waist. When I see those models/actresses, I still classify them as having long hair. Yet, when I'm on this site, it seems that APL to BSL counts as having medium. This is probably because most people here seem to have waist or longer as a goal, and those who have shorter hair often talk about their goals and how they really want to be at waist, hip, classic... etc.

Personally, I look in the mirror and don't even consider my hair that long, even though I would look at Monica Bellucci's hair and think, "My goodness, isn't her hair long and gorgeous!" Then I remember that my hair is about that length.

It depends on what you have been looking at recently, I think.
A prescription for feeling smug/satisfied with your hair length:

Two days of pop culture. After that, you should be swishing around your hair as if you were a mermaid. Warning: side effects of pop culture consumption can include nausea, headaches, and disdain for mankind:p

invisiblebabe
March 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Haha, when I had super long hair (it was anywhere from hip length to classic length, from ages 12 to 21), I felt the same way :D

I still wouldn't call BSL short hair, though. Comparatively speaking, sure, but it's still long enough to do all sorts of buns and braids.

I wouldn't use "long hair" as an identifying descriptor of someone unless it was at least BSL, though. And I think "very long hair" starts at waist.

jera
March 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I used to see long as waist, but now its progressed to hip. I wouldn't be happy with my longest strands brushing waist. Truthfully, true blue long for me is tailbone.

Katurday I agree and feel the same. My definition of long has changed from hip to knee or beyond though I understand the rest of the world views it differently. :D

Nat242
March 15th, 2010, 02:19 AM
OP - you may be interested in this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25611)

Quixii
March 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Yeah, about hip is where it starts looking long. I chuckle when I see anything shorter being referred to as "long" or even "super long." I always give my friends a special look when they complain about their shoulder length or so hair being "too long." Then we laugh together - and they go back to complaining. Ah, well...

Calista
March 15th, 2010, 03:21 AM
To me hair is long if it can be put up in a bun.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 15th, 2010, 03:23 AM
For me, long hair starts at waist length. I think calling waist and tailbone "short" is kind of pessimist way to approach things :D (especially if you've been a SL for many months :/ )

I think "very" long hair starts at classic :) That's when hair starts to look extraordinary. If people are turning around to see your hair once again, than that means you've got a long hair :)

ETA: i felt the need to add that i'm between SL and APL and i can definitely feel my hair's LONG :D maybe it's the thickness?

Sara_1987
March 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
To me hair is definitely long at BSL. I'm at BSL right now and I know hardly anyone IRL whose hair is longer than mine. People also comment that my hair has gotten so long.
Personally I don't feel like my hair is long yet and I want to grow it to waist.

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I get people a lot, commenting about how long my hair is. Some lady even said it was the longest she's seen irl. I was like "ummm thanks, but its not all that long" lol

spidermom
March 15th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I declared myself to have long hair when it was APL. That seems short to me now, but it was long to me then.

FrannyG
March 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I've had hair several inches longer than it its now, but I still consider long hair to be anything where all of the hair is below shoulder length and can be held without trouble behind the shoulders.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to waist, hip or tailbone, however long my hair will grow.

myotislucifugus
March 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I always thought long to me would be waist, but then I realized the people I had wanted to emulate had hip length, not what I'd called waist. I think hip is where I start to consider it as long. Which, all of my hair will be at shortly. And then I think I will trim to maintain...

Gingevere
March 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm a big picture person, so I don't pay much attention to what LHC thinks is long. In the USA/Canada and probably most of Europe, long hair starts at APL. Just look at any hairstyle magazine! And judging from people's reactions and comments on my hair, 30" is a rare sight. In my opinion, though, waist = long, TBL+ = very long.

justgreen
March 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
To most stylists, long hair is considered to be shoulder length and longer. I'm not sure if this a mindset for them, or merely where they start charging more for their services.

HairyCarrie
March 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
My new vision of long hair is waist and beyond. I'm thinking of going to tailbone as well. I'm at near-BSL for the first time in my life and I've recently gotten comments by neighbors about my "long hair". One said she didn't recognize me with my pretty hair flowing down my back. I'm loving that folks notice the growth. Wait til next year!:gabigrin:

Monkey962
March 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Obviously it's an opinion thing. There is no definable point where hair becomes 'long' because people's ideas of what is and what looks long differ. Some people with BSL and APL hair look like Rapunzel, whereas some people with classic look normal. That is to say, it suits them well.

For me, waist length on anyone is when it starts becoming 'long'. It was my first major goal, and now that I've passed it, my hair definitely feels long.

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Lol monkey, no one with APL or BSL hair looks like Repunzel! Even waist for that matter!

Deb!
March 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
... atleast hip length? I know everyone has a different opinion, however, about a yr ago I cut my hair (about 7" off) bringing it to a very short (in my opinion) 29" then 3 mos later I cut another 2" off! GASP! I liked it, but knew I wanted my long 36" tbl hair back! I'm almost back, just at hip length (33.5"), and just now feeling like I have long hair. Not to mention I recently shut it in the car door lol!

I couldn't help giving my co-worker a funny look when she referred to her bsl hair as "long" I meant no offense, I think she understood why I didn't share her view.

Anyone else?

P.s. its good to be back! :cheese:

I also think long means at least hip length or longer. I'm also of the opinion that the hair in question should have a thick hemline, be that u-shaped, blunt or v-shaped...not thin, whispy "barely there" strands of hair.

Lamb
March 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Long hair, to me, starts at APL. Above that, it's medium, above shoulders it's short.
I guess it's very relative, and varies from one person and area to the next.

VenusHalley
March 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I see few inches bellow BSL as long... it is comparetelly (sp?) long.

johnnysgirl
March 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I agree that "very long hair" should be waist or longer, but "long hair?" That would mean that my 30+ inches is medium? Of course, I'm really short, so my 30 inches goes almost to my waist. I dunno. It feels long to me. It's longer than anyone I know. Long, in my mind, is BSL.

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I also agree that having very wispy ends at say, tbl, isn't truely tbl. Cut it off lol!

hendrix.co
March 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
my hair is bsl and i think it is SHORT. I'm so envious of you and your locks. I love my hair no matter what length, but i sure wouldn't mind if we traded. :P

teela1978
March 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I tend to think of bsl as being long.

Its when I have to start changing how I care for my hair, when my ends start needing a bit more love than they otherwise would. Its also when it starts going into buns without too much effort.

At waist length I have longer hair than anyone I see on a daily basis, so I definitely consider my hair to be long.

I also think wispies count :)

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Teela, its interesting how everyone's view is different. You have lovely hair ;)

Also... wispies don't count! Haha. Makes the hair as a whole look unhealthy.

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hendrix- you will get there hun! Thank you!

Arctic_Mama
March 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM
It's an interesting perception issue - on ME, I find my just-longer-than-BSL-but-not-yet-waist length hair to be fairly short, but on OTHER women I'd consider it longer than normal. My personal definition doesn't make hair long until at least waist length, but given the hair culture in America I consider other people 'long' at a much shorter length. They don't view hair the same way I do, as a rule, so I don't apply my personal qualifiers to them if I can help it :)

Cleopatra18
March 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
my hair is half way between my waist and hips and i really really really think i have short hair.its kind of depressing at some point but id never really consider having long hair untill tailbone or classic...i grew up having long hair too so maybe thats why

CrisDee
March 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Interesting question. I think for me, true "long hair" starts at waist. That goes back to my high school days in the early 70's, where pretty much everybody had at least shoulder length hair (guys included :D). Only one girl in our high school of 1600+ students had classic length hair - she was considered the "gold standard" of long hair for us. I do remember having my hair styled at a salon for a prom and being shocked to see on their price list that everything shoulder length and below was considered "long" for pricing purposes - I didn't consider shoulder length to be remotely long, even then. Pop culture seems to follow the salon pricing guidelines, everything shoulder length and below constitutes "long" in the magazines. Guess it's all about the money?

Here's another related question for this thread - how has being on this board changed your definition of "long hair?" I think for me, it didn't really change it - it brought it back to where it originally was, back in the day before I lost my opinion of hair length (and a lot of other things) to the opinions of others. For me, this has been a very good thing...

Journeywoman
March 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I seem to be constantly changing my mind as to what constitutes 'long'. My hair's BSL right now which I consider to be quite short - though most of society would call it long! I tend not to consider hair to be long until it's the longest I've ever had it, or longer (if that makes sense). The longest I've had it is at waist length so I guess that's what I'd call long.

Can't wait to get back to waist, and beyond! Really starting to consider classic length hair now, though of course, I have plenty of time before I get there.

Alun
March 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I don't think we can really accept the OP's position without renaming this the Medium Length Hair Community.

Gingevere
March 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Teela, its interesting how everyone's view is different. You have lovely hair ;)

Also... wispies don't count! Haha. Makes the hair as a whole look unhealthy.

Oooh, better watch out! There are some die hard "fairy tale ends" fans on here. :p

Personally, I like the wispy look as long as it's healthy, not all frizzy and split. It looks natural to me. That said, I think u-shaped and shallow v-shaped hemlines look very nice as well. Blunt isn't my thing, though.

Yozhik
March 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm such a waffler -- I go between being really narcissistic about my hair length (because it's longer than it has been in at least 7 years) to feeling that it's inadequate!
I can't wait until my hair gets to BSL . . . It's my short-term goal, but I want it so bad I dream about it.

That being said, I consider BSL hair to be long, above that to be medium, and above shoulder to be short :) Classic, etc -- that's super long :D

xoxophelia
March 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would say BSL is medium-long. It isn't exactly medium or long. Sorta inbetween. Hair to me starts looking long when it gets past 30".

But then I also think the attitude of "well to me THIS is long and your hair is short" or .. cut off your hair, it is too wispy and doesn't count is a bit elitist and will probably rub some people on LHC the wrong way. It is up to each person to determine what their personal aethestic dictates. Also, some here have suffered from illness resulting in hair loss. It is a very personal decision what they decide to do with their hair.

Otherwise people might go on to say "your hair looks dry to me from all that heat styling and dye.. cut it off!" and then "I don't like long hair.. cut it off"

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Alun, for the most part I do think that the majority of people here have med to short hair (waist and above) Although there are some very impressive heads of hair here!

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Xoxophelia- I don't mean to offend anyone. Its just my opinion, and apparently I'm not alone. Wispy ends may be some peoples ideal, however most people that I talk hair with agree they look bad. Unhealthy, scragly. If you have thin hair, maybe long isn't the way to go. I'm sure it would look cuter short.

Lamb
March 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I don't think we can really accept the OP's position without renaming this the Medium Length Hair Community.

:lol: Indeed.

pennyroyal
March 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
i love wispy fairie tale ends!!! that's what i want as i grow out my hair, actually.
i guess i don't consider hair "long" till it reaches your bra, then your bottom i would say is "really long" & longer than that is super long (& awesome!). :p

princessp
March 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
people always refer to my hair as long whether it is just BSL or just above hip length. they don't even notice if i cut it anywhere in between (even drastic cuts like a foot). i notice of course, and it sounds like you do too, but i think we are in the minority.

Capybara
March 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I actually think that it's relative to the person - on some people, BSL looks long, while on other people, their hair doesn't look *truly* long until they reach hip length+. I think that, in general (there are probably many exceptions :p) thinner hair can look long at shorter lengths, while thicker hair looks shorter at the same lengths. (because the thickness to length ratio is different.) This is just in my experience, though. My hair doesn't feel long until it's past my elbows.

princessp
March 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
one more thing to consider (after reading the wispy reply a few pages back), my hair is wavy/curly. when i straighten it (or it's wet), it is way longer. so we wavy's have a different idea of long because our long is actually longer than ye lovely straight-haired. i hope that makes sense :D

Ash
March 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
In the general public I consider anything waist or over as long. My hair is still short to me though and it is butt length.

ArienEllariel
March 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
In most modern fashion, shoulder length is medium and APL or BSL is long. In some ways I consider BSL to be long (mostly because I've only ever had SL or shorter hair). I've reached APL so far and while I can now safely classify it as medium length hair, I could never consider this to be long.

Oh the day when I can swish my shiny virgin tailbone length hair around to my heart's content... *dreamy sigh* :crush:

Cinnamon Hair
March 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I remember looking through a book at a salon when I was little and the "long styles" were mostly shoulder length, if that long. That was funny to me. My hair was probably BSL then and I wanted to grow it longer (my bff had around tailbone length). So no, even as a kid I did not consider hair long until at least waist length.

HairColoredHair
March 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
The eye adjusts very quickly, I think.

If you watch mainstream movies and tv, and consume American pop culture, then "long" will be around BSL or waist. When I see those models/actresses, I still classify them as having long hair. Yet, when I'm on this site, it seems that APL to BSL counts as having medium. This is probably because most people here seem to have waist or longer as a goal, and those who have shorter hair often talk about their goals and how they really want to be at waist, hip, classic... etc.

Personally, I look in the mirror and don't even consider my hair that long, even though I would look at Monica Bellucci's hair and think, "My goodness, isn't her hair long and gorgeous!" Then I remember that my hair is about that length.

It depends on what you have been looking at recently, I think.
A prescription for feeling smug/satisfied with your hair length:

Two days of pop culture. After that, you should be swishing around your hair as if you were a mermaid. Warning: side effects of pop culture consumption can include nausea, headaches, and disdain for mankind:p
I have tried your method. All I learned was that they have no idea how long someone's hair should be for a style (Legend of the Seeker, I'm looking at you. Cara's hair when loose (waist-ish) couldn't have made that classic length thick as a forearm braid.)

I think long starts about waist... since that's pretty long for most people IRL around here. Shoulder? Don't make me laugh! It's hard to find a woman with hair ABOVE shoulder around here.

ALenee
March 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Cinnamon- your hair makes me greeeen with envy!! Now that's impressive!

ALenee
March 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Bump..................................

adiapalic
March 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I consider waist and beyond to be long, BSL medium, and anything near shoulder and above as short.

ETA:

...Here's another related question for this thread - how has being on this board changed your definition of "long hair?" ...

I think my definition of long hair has remained pretty consistent because I've had my hair long since before high school. Although, after joining LHC and seeing that many people out there actually do have waist length and beyond, this has made me feel more positive about growing my hair longer--and it makes me feel happy. :bluebiggr

LoversLullaby
March 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I usually view hair waist and longer than that as being long. Anything less than that I actually view as short. :D Which means my hair is short... grow hair, grow!

Robbi Dehlinger
March 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I consdier mid back or longer as long

Fethenwen
March 18th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I seem to be a minority here :D I think hair longer than short is long.

So my hair being only a little past APL is long to me, because it certainly isn't short! There is a difference between how long your hair feels and reality, if you want a short hair cut it will be short and not shoulder length. Which is by standard called long hair.

I am quite happy with my length, it feels long. And it will be more awesome when it gets even longer :cheese:

lilravendark
March 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM
my bf is starting to point out women with what he thinks is long hair out to me the cutey lol and they usually have bsl to midway to waist length I always laugh, It seems about medium length in my eyes because my goal is longer than TB. He always adds well its longer than yours -_- I wish I never cut my waist length hair :P

Roseate
March 18th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I seem to be a minority here :D I think hair longer than short is long.

I totally agree! Once my hair is enough past my shoulders to hang down behind me all day, and long enough to put up, it falls into the category of long, not short.

Of course, I want it longer, but once it stops being around my face and starts heading down my back, it is out of the "short" category.

I've had all lengths of hair between bald and hip, and while there is a difference between hip and BSL, it's not as big a difference for me as the difference between chin and APL.

windinherhair
March 18th, 2010, 03:40 AM
On someone else I consider anything long hair when it reaches past the shoulders. Personally, I always think that my hair feels short though, and I want to keep growing longer. And with my hair being at the tailbone right now, it is hardly considered short to people. ;)

lhangel9
March 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM
To me when the hair is MBL it is "just starting to grow." I used to consider shoulder length as long & then APL & then BSL. I consider it long at TBL and beyond.

ALenee
March 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Roseate- there is a HUGE difference between hip and BSL!
BSL is only medium length hair, while hip is LONG. APL is also in the begining of the medium catagory. I understand views can vary on this, however I've never heard of or known someone to refer to anything less then wasit as "long" IRL.

ALenee
March 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Bump........................

RavennaNight
March 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
My hair felt short until I passed waist. BSL is short.:lol:

teela1978
March 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Roseate- there is a HUGE difference between hip and BSL!
BSL is only medium length hair, while hip is LONG. APL is also in the begining of the medium catagory. I understand views can vary on this, however I've never heard of or known someone to refer to anything less then wasit as "long" IRL.

I'm with Roseate. Once you have to treat your hair as long, its long. My hair has been down to about tailbone before, and there really isn't a huge difference in how I treated it at that length to how it was treated at BSL. BSL (maybe a little above) is where detangling becomes a bit more difficult, where it starts needing to be kept up, where my ends start being damaged if I'm not careful, where it starts catching on things, etc....

I think most of the world tends to think of "long" as starting around APL or BSL. Apparently not in arizona though (I'm never going there if my hair becomes "medium" upon arrival!) :)

DragonLady
March 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I think most of the world tends to think of "long" as starting around APL or BSL. Apparently not in arizona though (I'm never going there if my hair becomes "medium" upon arrival!)

There is a LOT of long hair here. But even here mine is exceptionally long.

Keildra
March 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I find it funny that the salon standards for long hair have gotten shorter over the years, when I was in elementary school the standard was beyond shoulder length is long, now it's beyond chin. That, I believe, is a way of charging people more.

I grew up in a Pentecostal church where the standard was to have long hair at about classical, so my view of long hair is a bit skewed because I do see long hair as starting around the waist. I view anything above shoulder as short and anything in between shoulder and waist is medium. I'm pretty sure my view will change as my gets longer, I have hairorexia (my hair is never long enough)

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I think, in today's society, BSL is considered long, and past waist is "super long". For me, personally, past waist is long, and past hip is "super long". :)

nycstar
March 27th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I totally agree with you! I don't consider BSL hair long at all. Hip length is definitely where it all begins for me. I also consider long layered hair (even if the tail end of it is super long) as sorta cheating. My hair is really long (final layers at tail bone length) and I don't feel like I'm completely part of the club because of the (evil) layers. :)

Purdy Bear
March 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Im not sure about other parts of the Uk, but long hair seems to be rare in my area. Anyone in the city with hair longer then shoulder length is long. Infact when I worked in the city, there didnt seem to be many with anything but short hair.

I personally thick it starts being long when it reaches the waist, and very long at the knee, but thats just me.

long.again
March 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I agree that it's a cultural thing. Most people would consider just below shoulder length long and past BSL very long. Just as most people would consider longer than the butt to be crazy. But, those people aren't here. Here it's very different.

I consider my hair as "getting long" because this is the longest it's been in four years. But I won't consider it long until BSL.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 28th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I totally agree with you! I don't consider BSL hair long at all. Hip length is definitely where it all begins for me. I also consider long layered hair (even if the tail end of it is super long) as sorta cheating. My hair is really long (final layers at tail bone length) and I don't feel like I'm completely part of the club because of the (evil) layers. :)

My hair should be so evil:)

andrea1982
March 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM
To me, anything past BSL is long. My hair is finally there and finally is starting to feel long! In general society though, it seems as though anything past shoulder length is long :(.

stinamoo
March 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
**deleted**

Robbi Dehlinger
March 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM
isn't this the real world??? LOL

-j-
March 29th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I consider waist length "long" and anything shorter is "short".
Hip lentgh for me is "super long" :)

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think it depends on thickness too. For me, "almost long" is waist, "longish" is tailbone, and honest to goodness "long" only truly starts around classic. BSL is "so short, what on earth do they do with it??"

Forever_Sophie
March 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm probably alone on this, and weird in that I have a different answer for myself opposed to everyone else.

On me, long hair=BSL; on others, APL, a few inches below shoulder or so. I like my hair waist-length, it was the goal, but I'm considering cutting it to BSL again.

nycstar
March 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm probably alone on this, and weird in that I have a different answer for myself opposed to everyone else.

On me, long hair=BSL; on others, APL, a few inches below shoulder or so. I like my hair waist-length, it was the goal, but I'm considering cutting it to BSL again.

I'm just curious?? Why are you contemplating cutting your hair instead of reaching your goal.

French Braider
March 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
On other people waist is pretty long, but on me it wasn't long untill it was Tailbone, and even then it does not feel really long. I also don't wear it open unless it's drying.

allege
March 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I view long hair as being at least waist. I usually have to try to hide a laugh when people complain that their shoulder blade length hair is long!

alles_klars
March 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Maybe it's just cause I'm new here, but for me BSL+ is long. I have one friend with hip length and one with waist length hair, but other than that I don't really know anyone with hair long than BSL, and you don't really see it that often in London.

Went to Sri Lanka recently though (God I keep banging on about it!), and had the worst hair envy ever! Outside of Colombo almost every single woman I saw had beautiful plaits as thick as my wrist, down past tailbone. Incredible...

Forever_Sophie
March 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I'm just curious?? Why are you contemplating cutting your hair instead of reaching your goal.

Whoops, should have clarified, I've reached my goal, and I did love it, but it's gotten so thin :( Hence, cutting a few inches *maybe*.

BTW, your hair is GORGEOUS! It looks perfect. Plus I see you're in my favorite city, lucky girl!

-j-
March 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Maybe it's just cause I'm new here, but for me BSL+ is long.

Definitely!
Just wait a while and waist length won´t be long for you... ;)

teela1978
March 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Definitely!
Just wait a while and waist length won´t be long for you... ;)

I dunno. I've been here 4 years and still think of BSL as long :)

MandyBeth
March 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I think it depends on context also. LHC - BSL-waist is "normal long". However, at work - being in a white collar type job where women routinely cut their hair short - my just past chin, touches collar in back length hair is considered long. I walk around now at work and I will get comments on "Wow, your hair has gotten so LONG!". I'm thinking "Huh? I can't even get it all to stay in a ponytail and it's long??"

For me personally - Shoulder is long. It's longer than I've EVER had it now. I go to the salon and flip thru their guides and I'm well into medium and am almost to a good half of the long styles. When I get past SL, I'll think APL is long. Then BSL. And so on and so forth.

And well cared for fairytale ends count.

Fried, dried, bleached ends that are snapping off I have a hard time considering long - because if you move your head and 12 hairs break off because you've done so much damage - aren't you better off just chopping the whole mess off and starting over? Yes, literally saw this at the store. A woman with butt length fried mess turned her head, drug her hair an inch to the left, and then she counted how many broke off with the rather proud announcement of "Hey, only 12 broke this time!" But fine, it's not for me and I don't like it, but if it makes her happy, she's the one who has to wear it.

My end result with my hair will not make everyone the world over happy. But I'm the only one who has to wear it, and I'll wear it however I darn well please. And if I can't control what I do with my hair - I will just get rid of it all and shave my head.

Islandgrrl
March 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM
For myself, presently at hip, I have a hard time thinking of myself as having long hair. To be certain, I have thick hair and an awful lot of it, but it's only just beginning to feel comfortably long to me. I know I'll be really comfortable around fingertip length - it was a really nice length for me last time I was there, and it felt crazy long.

In the mainstream real world, I have "really long hair." But in my own little LHC influenced world, not so much.