PDA

View Full Version : Trim or Grow?

Monkey962
March 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I measured my hair while it was in a ponytail recently, and from the elastic to the end, it was 21 inches. When it was down, it was 36 inches, or three feet :D. It had been sitting at 35 and a half for ages. At this point, my goal is around 39-40 inches, so I'm really only 3 to 4 inches away from my goal. However, it's been awhile since I've had a proper, decent trim, but I have been dusting occasionally and nipping off splits when I find them. So my question for y'all now is, should I keep growing it, or trim it again?

marikamt
March 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I guess it would depend on how you feel about your hair... is it healthy overall? Are you stressed about it? happy with it? Think it is healthy?

I only trim when I start feeling 'ick' about my hair and even then ONLY after a minimum of the two week rule......... and after I have tried other things (like clarifying, etc)

spidermom
March 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Marikamt about covered it; those are my thoughts as well.

trillcat
March 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I think if your hair looks healthy, the hem is what you want it to be and everything else is good, why trim it?
I think we get it into our heads ( no pun indended, lol) that if a certain amount of time has gone by without a proper trim it must be done, but why if all is well?

Monkey962
March 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
It does have that 'scuzzy' feeling at the ends, but it's not that bad, surprisingly. My only complaint is that the ends lack thickness whilst in a braid. Maybe a long S and D session will do me some good.

curlylocks85
March 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
If there is no significant damage then I would leave it. It sounds like the s&d's are working for you.

Carolyn
March 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Really only you can decide if it needs a trim or not. If S & D is controlling the split ends and you are happy with your hemline, then you likely don't need a real trim.

spidermom
March 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It does have that 'scuzzy' feeling at the ends, but it's not that bad, surprisingly. My only complaint is that the ends lack thickness whilst in a braid. Maybe a long S and D session will do me some good.

S&D is notorious for making the ends even thinner.

Monkey962
March 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
S&D is notorious for making the ends even thinner.

Gah, you're right. Maybe the occasional dusting to even up the ends.

PineappleJello
March 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I am so happy that S& D is a legit hair care method. I've always thought I may just be getting foolish.

jera
March 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Probably just a micro trim to your ends might make you feel better about them.:)

Feli
March 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I was in exactly the same position - have been growing to tailbone for ages (tailbone is approx. 42 inches on me). I'd got to 37.5 inches after being stuck at 35 for what seemed ages and then just started to feel like the ends weren't looking so great, so I had 3 inches trimmed off. I was really unsure about doing it but I am so glad that I did. The ends look so much better and even though I still plan on growing to tailbone, I must say that I'm really enjoying having it back at waist. It's just so much more manageable and doesn't tangle any where near as much. I don't want to influence you either way, just share my experience. I was so nervous about having a big trim beforehand but really am glad that I did.