PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else put lotion in their hair?

contradiction
March 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
For many years I've been putting regular moisturizing lotion in my hair when it's dry. I wonder if anyone else does this?
What I do is, the night before I wash my hair I just take a blob of lotion and run it all through the ends of my hair and sometimes the roots. The next day when I wash my hair it's a lot softer and easier to manage than normal. I tried doing this with oil and regular conditioner but I just don't get the same results.
I didn't post about this before because I thought people would think I was weird. I've used St. Ives, Vaseline Lotion (not regular Vaseline) Johnsons Baby Lotion...they all seem to work well but baby lotion does the best job I think.

marikamt
March 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I used to.... after I would lotion body/ hands/ whatever, I would rub the rest into my hair.....

spidermom
March 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Like marikamt, after I've applied lotion to my hands, I will blot the excess onto the ends of my hair. But I would never pick up lotion with the sole purpose of applying it to my hair. I've got coconut oil for that.

Debra83
March 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Once in a blue moon, but never really looked for the results. Thought about it recently again, but haven't done it since on LHC.

Speckla
March 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I attempted to do it once and was shocked when my hair started to foam. I thought there was some weird chemical reaction going on. 'til I noticed it was a bottle of Shay Butter Bodywash. :D

ravenreed
March 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have also done it after using lotion on other parts of the body. I have never used lotion as a leave in. I don't think you are weird though... I once boiled flax seeds to make a gel to use in my hair. Lotion seems practical compared to that. Plus, the gel didn't work for me. Too flaky..

aef231
March 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I've done it with shea butter when I have extra from hands/body. just on the ends, I actually like it :)

Lamb
March 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I used to do this some years ago. However, I really need to watch the ingredients in the lotion, wax, mineral oil and glycerin are things my hair doesn't like at all. (Although in humid summer weather, I sometimes use gels with glycerin in them - even KY. :o)

Lamb
March 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I attempted to do it once and was shocked when my hair started to foam. I thought there was some weird chemical reaction going on. 'til I noticed it was a bottle of Shay Butter Bodywash. :D

:spitting:
It could have been worse. I once started brushing my teeth with moisturizer. I also almost used my facial cleanser to wash my hair. Next I'll be putting toothpaste in my hair. :silly:

HairColoredHair
March 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Nah, done it once or twice, mostly by accident, and it seems to make my hair waxy, sticky, and plasticky.

clichepithet
March 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
(snip) Next I'll be putting toothpaste in my hair. :silly:

Can't be any worse than Monistat! lol

I like to nip at my ends with a whatever is leftover after I lotion up my hands/face. Here lately that's been with Nivea Soft. Outside of that, not really.

sherigayle
March 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I just put some cocoa butter on my hands and hair. Just on the ends that need that extra moisture.

Anje
March 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've tried it without much success -- lotion, like leave-in conditioner, seems to make my hair feel sticky and a little rough.

DH, on the other hand, regularly would put lotion on his hands, rub it in a little, then apply the rest to his hair. It provided a bit more body to his hair, so he did it intentionally. More recently, though, he switched to aloe vera gel.

Lorisal
March 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have tried putting lotion on my hair a couple of times, but I don't like how it feels on my hair.
It felt like a lot of product build-up on it.

Yozhik
March 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Good idea -- I'll try it with my hair tonight (I'm washing tomorrow morning)
. . . just have to run downstairs and check the ingredients label :)

ZaBasDa
March 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I used to do it as a last layer kind of thing to just smooth down the top layer frizz. It worked for me kind of like a wax would with less build-up. But my hair doesn't mind glycerin or mineral oil. Now I have a jelly/gel/pomade product that does basically the same thing but with better results. Lotion was one of the few products I could apply to dry hair without horrible results, but I never used it for anything other than frizz control. I also tended to used baby lotion in Lavender or Cucumber Mellon.

catysue
March 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
My hair doesn't like it, for some reason. It makes my hair staticky and tangly :( I have tried it, though, so you're not alone! haha

Almandine
March 14th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Totally. I put it on the top to make my frizzies go soft and stay down. I just use it on my hands then make sure there's a bit of excess. Works really well and smells great.

nellreno
March 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have, but not for moisture. When I lived in Texas the humidity would make me have a lot of frizz and flyaways, so I would put a little bit of lotion on my hair to keep it down.

Bellona
March 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
WOW, I was just going to make a thread about this! My brother used to do this in high school. He has similar hair to me except it's 3a/3b and quite dark. I thought heck, if it makes his curls so shiny and springy, it has to make my wurlies the same way! I still use it to this day. I find it works better than oil when my hair is above BSL.

Journeywoman
March 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I do it with Palmer's Cocoa Butter, only on the very ends, but I wouldn't consider doing it with a lotion that had a ton of chemicals in it (e.g. Salicylic acid and so on) because I'd be terrified of ill effects! I haven't noticed a huge difference with the cocoa butter but it hasn't done any harm either.

Ash
March 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I do sometimes. I would never consider doing it with a chemical lotion though. My hair does not really like chemicals. I used some Alba body cream in the last 2 inches of my hair because the ends were so dry, it seemed to help It also helped control frizz at the top of my hair. I also use the Alba oil free aloe moisturizer in my hair occasionally if I get out too much for my face. I think that some lotions are similar to using a leave in conditioner for some people. My SO uses his lotion to slick back his hair sometimes instead of using gel. It works well for him and is much easier to get out.

johnnysgirl
March 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I live in a very dry climate, so my hair is often staticky - the lotion really helps tame my electrified look.

I make (and sell) my own handmade lotion - no chemicals or any yucky stuff. I don't know if I'd try it with commercial stuff.

Olde Soul
March 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I occasionally use my Lush face cream as a leave in, works great.

PineappleJello
March 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
If I have extra lotion on my hands I run it through my hair, but I never go out of my way to put it in.

mizk5110
March 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I've used it on occasion as static control on very dry days. Have to watch how much I use, as my hair tends to get oily FAST, but it seems to work nicely. I've mostly used bath and body works shea and parafin hand cream, since that 's what I have in my car. But if I'm at work and my hairs gettin frizzled I'll cream up my hands good with my homemade hand cream and run the leftovers over the top. That works nicely, since it's mainly coconut, jojoba, and peach kernal oils.

hendrix.co
March 15th, 2010, 02:41 PM
hahaha this comment just made my day. women and their many products. :)

Shicurls
March 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
hendrix.co stick around a minute and you'll find men using the same stuff.

ravenreed
March 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Actually, I just remembered that one day I was out and about and my hair was being difficult. I usually have hand creme in my purse (but never hair stuff) and I did use a bit to help my hair behave.