PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about cutting bangs....

seethruugirl
March 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I can't remember the last time I had bangs. I just can't decide what to do. Since I haven't had them in so long I can't remember why I wouldn't want them...can you all give me some reasons good or bad why you would or wouldn't want bangs??? :) Thanks so much! I will post pics of my face in my profile. I have a round face and I'm not sure they will be great but, I think I want a thicker bang not super short. I just find that as I am growing out my hair I'm not very talented at "fixing" it or doing updos and I think bangs might make it more "fixed" looking. So, if you don't mind I would love to hear your opinions on bangs :) Thanks! Robyn

Tutti_Frutti
March 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I also have a round face and bangs looked pretty nice on me. I think they'll also look good on you. :) But, I see you're a 2a and maybe your bangs will curl a little bit (even I with 1b had this problem and because of that I used the flat iron, which I defenitely don't recommend). Hopefully this will help you with your decision!

Sunny_side_up
March 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Bangs can create a nice change to the way your face is framed, i prefer side swept on me, thats what i got a couple months ago and got lots of nice comments, my hair has that mild waviness to it, even small curls when wet, full on bangs in the past presented me with lil flicked out sides.
However my side swept look has grown a little and now my middle parting is now back and the hair is tucked behind my ears. Bangs can always be clipped aside or held back with a headband if you dont want them hanging there.
Happy hair growing!

patience
March 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I decided to grow out my bangs, just 2 days ago so that may change. :) Main reason for me is because I have to blow dry my bangs to get them to sit/hang right. I'm trying to cut down the things I have to do in the mornings.

I go back and forth on bangs though. I have them for a bit then grow them out. It's a normal cycle for me.

Unofficial_Rose
March 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
You could try clip-in bangs - they've been available for a while and would give you a no-commitment way of trying them out.

bijoux
March 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I recently got bangs and I really like them. I think they do add a 'finished' look to my updos and braids. If you excersize and sweat alot like I do, be prepared to clip your bangs back or they will get wet and greasy/slimey looking. Mine also stretch to go into my eyes :rolleyes: but I dont mind pinning them back.

kjirstiben
March 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I, too, periodically debate cutting bangs... However, my hair went from wavy to curly since the last time I had them ('91?) and even with waves, the bangs were often unmanageable. I do like some of the longer styles, though, particularly when side-swept. Other possible considerations--bad hair day styling, cowlicks at the hairline, and how sensitive your skin is on your forehead (would you break out?). I must say, though, that a lot of the bangs we're seeing are awfully cute... I'll be interested in hearing what you decide!

seethruugirl
March 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Oh thank you all so much!!! I know it sounded like it but, I'm not afraid of change and I know they will grow back out if I don't like them. I just can not remember what its like to have them....like with working out...I hadn't even thought of it. :) So I really appreciate all the comments. My sister in law is coming over Friday eve and she's a stylist so she is going to cut them then. Ill post pics when I'm done! Thanks!

Kimberlee
March 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm like Tutti - I have wavy hair and have to use a straightener (very low setting) to get them to lay nicely. I have a round face as well and I think it's a toss up - I can go either way. I tend to leave mine a bit longer so I can let them split (my many cowlicks make that something I can't always help). I do feel that having them makes it easier. I am not good at ALL with my hair and they kind of save me.....

Tap Dancer
March 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I don't recommend them if you have an oily face. I used to have to wash mine every morning and they'd separate and look greasy again in a few hours. It was worse in the summer because it's so humid where I live.

I love bangs and I had all types of bangs for the first 29 or 30 years of my life. Growing them out has been the best thing for my hair, though. Growing them out isn't hard, but what a pain! :p Just be sure you want them before you cut.

spidermom
March 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I like being able to pull all my hair away from my face when I'm doing hot, sweaty work. That's why I don't want bangs. How do you feel about hair sticking to your face and getting into your eyes (nose, mouth)?

tokidokichi
March 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Side bangs are always nice =]

Hana
March 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
always bear in mind - growing them out! nightmare. I'm currently going through that phase.
mind you, i had a fringe for 4 years, and i did love it. its just too high maintenance for me (read= im lazy! :D)

sneakybea
March 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I was without bangs for about ten years before cutting them again. For me, the pros are that my updos look less severe, and it's pretty easy for me to get them to curl under without a curling iron. The cons are that they get oily faster, and they don't always play well with my cowlicks. Then again, the cowlicks didn't cooperate when I didn't have bangs, either.

phistash
March 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I'm one of those people who cycles through having them, growing them out, and cutting them again. It can be annoying to grow them out, but I think they tend to look good on most people, provided care is taken to get the right type for your face. I look best with very short bangs, about 1/2" above my eyebrows, but because I have a square jaw, they can't be too severe. Maybe you should start with longer bangs, wait about a week and then decide if you want to cut them shorter.

LaurelSpring
March 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Bangs or no bangs. This is the eternal debate for me. My friends are probably sick of me asking them if I look better with or without bangs. When I look at pictures of myself I think I look better with bangs. When I cut my bangs I think I look silly like a little girl so then I want to grow them back out again. What is working best for me now is a bit of longish front fringe that I can pull to the side or have it blend in to look like I dont have bangs. Maybe that would be a good place to start before cutting in real bangish bangs. You tube has some good bang tutorials.

getoffmyskittle
March 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I would probably cut them, except I have bad cowlicks in my hairline and they'd require a lot of styling every day. No thank you! If you're one of those lucky people who could air-dry your hair and have them look nice, then go for it.

Ravenne
March 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Bangs can look really nice on a lot of people if cut correctly. I'm currently growing mine out because I have oily skin and they got greasy very quickly. Not fun. Plus, I want to be able to pull all my hair back in a bun/ponytail/braid/etc. But if that's not a big deal to you, then by all means, cut away. :D

Juliannaissance
March 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I wish I would look better in bangs, but somehow they make my face look a lot smaller than it already is..bummer!!!....:(

Princess Kitti
March 15th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have a round face and find I look much better with bangs - it not only looks too severe if I have my hair up without bangs, it makes my face look fatter than it is!

ArienEllariel
March 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Bangs can be really cute. I prefer sideswept bangs myself and not too thick but it depends on the look you're trying to go for.

My poor sister went to get her bangs trimmed and cut a different way than normal a couple days ago.. the stylist misunderstood what she wanted and cut heavy fringe bangs (the kind that go straight across) instead of the side bangs she wanted. Sh cried all the way home but I think it isn't too bad. The front of her head just kinda looks like she joined the Beatles now. hehe

The nice thing about bangs is that they really don't take all that long to grow out.

seethruugirl
March 16th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Thank you all so much for the replies! I'm off to youtube to hopefully get some ideas! :)

LoveMyLongHair
March 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I have a round face and find I look much better with bangs - it not only looks too severe if I have my hair up without bangs, it makes my face look fatter than it is!

I'm right there with you, Princess Kitti....I have an almost square face, and look much better with bangs. I had been letting them grow for a bit, they are not to my shoulders, but they are getting ready to be cut..........as my updos look much better with bangs (less severe) and my face does not look nearly as full and yuk.

I will probably have them a wee bit long, so they can be side swept, pulled back, or styled under.

Does anyone follow the Farmer's Almanac for Morrocco Method for cutting hair? Morrocco says that the 19-20 are the days for beautification with the Spring Equinox, Farmer's Almana says the same thing...........cut hair to increase growth.

Just wondering.................;)

klcqtee
March 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
My hair is wavier than yours, and I have no problems with my bangs flipping out or doing weird things. If you want stick straight, blunt cut bangs, then they're going to be a lot of work, but if you just want something soft to frame your face, go for it!

The positives:
Even with your hair pulled back, you don't feel "naked"
softens a look (no more mean-lady-tight-bun)
a good way to experiment without losing all your length or damaging your hair
more "romantic"
can be flattering

Negatives:
can be tough to maintain (always having to trim or straighten)
takes a long time to grow out
get in the way (I'm constantly getting food and paint in mine, so I always have to lace braid them out of the way)
less "professional" (depending of course upon your work environment)

I say cut them. If you don't like them, you can always grow them out. I'm growing mine out (simply because I'm tired of them, not because I don't like them), and I've found I can hide it with head bands, bandannas, scarves, and lace braids. It's not a painful, awkward thing that some people make it out to be. If you're scared, or nervous, take baby steps. Start with long bangs, or maybe just face framing layers? If you are curious, you can cut them into jaw level (still fit behind your ears, and easy to put up, or leave down), then work your way up. Long bangs (between mid-nose and chin) are flattering on most everyone.

paperwhite
March 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I went from vehemently not wanting bangs for about...20 years when I decided one day to go for it. I had blunt, straight across (but not super thick) bangs and loved them. After a while, I got sick of having to keep them washed (they get greasy), getting them trimmed/trimming them myself every few weeks, etc., etc. and decided to grow them out as side swept bangs. It's a HUGE pain! now I'm starting to remember why I didn't want them! :p

That said, I did really enjoy having them, and I agree with other posters that said it softens up some updos and generally look nice on everyone. I liked having them when I started wearing my hair up all the time. I definitely felt more confident with how my face and hair looked while pulled back with bangs as opposed to without them. I think I'll grow them out to where they can be comfortably tucked behind my ears and keep them around that length. That way, I'll still have the option of covering my forehead, but they'll be long enough to pin back without looking funny.

princessp
March 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
bangs can be so cute. i especially love that betty paige look! unfortunately, i look horrible w/ bangs :( i get the cowlick thing and it does nothing 4 my face. good luck with your decision!

johnnysgirl
March 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Oops - I just posted a thread like this one, before I saw yours. Sorry! I was wondering about fringe today too. What is the difference, really, between fringe and bangs?

phistash
March 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Oops - I just posted a thread like this one, before I saw yours. Sorry! I was wondering about fringe today too. What is the difference, really, between fringe and bangs?

Isn't "fringe" just UK terminology for "bangs", which is the US/Canadian term?

atlantaz3
March 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
My dh abdicated from any hair comments since he recommended I chop off my hair. (In his defense it was needed at the time.) But the one thing I have made him tell me is not to cut bangs. For me it took almost two years to grow them out. That's a major commitment if I decide I hate them. I too flirt with cutting them back in because I liked my bob with bangs at the time. When the dh was chiming in he said he didn't like my face hidden by bangs and then the rest of hair just hanging down. I'm also trying to avoid the 50+ something way of hiding wrinkles in the forehead with bangs. Just my two cents for now for me no bangs.

myrrhmaiden
March 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Bangs for me meant daily washing and daily styling. Also, if you have to wear a hat, they will get messed up. They looked horrible on me anyways, so I grew them out. Too much hassle for me.