PDA

View Full Version : Classic length question

shrimp
May 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Ok, so I know that classic length is where your arse meets your thighs right?

And on other people I can see clearly where this is, but I have a bit of trouble knowing if I've reached it or not as I have a :heartbeat: shaped butt! At the sides where there is more of a curve going on my ends are to the tops of my thighs, but the bottom of my bottom overall is about 2/3 inches lower down and goes to more of a 'point' (:oops: ever have one of those moments of self-realisation half-way through typing? :lol:).

So, in conclusion - I have a neat little curve at the sides which reflect the obvious curve point, on that measure I think I'm at classic, but that measure doesn't actually reflect the 'bottom of my bottom'.

Can I call myself classic yet?
My braid tassel ends closer to the end of my butt than my tb now.

Cinnamon Hair
May 3rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
(:oops: ever have one of those moments of self-realisation half-way through typing? :lol:).

wah hahaha Welcome to TMI land! Personally, I called it classic after seeing a length pic of myself wearing my tight fittin' jeans. Au naturale, it would have taken a few more months.

shrimp
May 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
*shakes head in despair at lack of tight jeans, goes off to manufacture butt bra*

heidihug
May 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
*shakes head in despair at lack of tight jeans, goes off to manufacture butt bra*

Hee! That is awesome. My butt is definitely lower than it used to be. Knowing that, I am pretty happy that I got to classic last year. I'm just a few inches below now, but that's in tight jeans mode[TM Cinnamon Hair]! I've never checked it out sans clothes. Now I don't really want to...:(

Tresses
May 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Heidihug, I'm guessing that you and I have discovered what Cinnamon Hair and shrimp will learn in about 10 to 15 years: the "official" classic length gets lower and lower on its own. :o

:lol:

snowbear
May 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
A fun name for classic is "the bottom of your bottom", if that helps any. :)

Kittee
May 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Tresses, your sig is beautiful! Holy cats!

And yes classic would be that sweat fold line where your hiney meets your leg.

angelthadiva
May 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Tresses, your sig is beautiful! Holy cats!<snip>

I second that! :)

Tresses
May 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Tresses, your sig is beautiful! Holy cats!

I second that! :)

Thank you! :flowers:

Tangles
May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not quite sure why this is called "classic" length. In olden times, is this the length most women wore their hair? Did they deliberately maintain it at this length? *confused* Why can't tailbone/hip be classic?

salamander
May 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Your hair is classic length if you can sit on it. That ought to be a less equivocal measure.

mira-chan
May 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not quite sure why this is called "classic" length. In olden times, is this the length most women wore their hair? Did they deliberately maintain it at this length? *confused* Why can't tailbone/hip be classic?

The names comes from the George Michael hair care system. It is called "classic" because in many Renaissance paintings it is that length approximately.

Dulci
May 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I think it can also have something to do with Phi (Golden Section, Divine Proportion) and the Human Body.

This site (http://goldennumber.net/body.htm)illustrates it well, the Divine Proportion of the Human body is shown by the blue line, which is from the top of the head to the fingertips. Fingertip length is right at Classic length.

TammySue
May 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Yes, I recall classic relating to the Golden Ratio.
Now how do we figure that out again? Divide our hair length by 1.618 or something? I need an engineer here - where's EdG? :)

freznow
May 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Now how do we figure that out again? Divide our hair length by 1.618 or something? I need an engineer here - where's EdG? :)

a) height divided by 1.618, then add 6 [this will give you roughly between classic and fingertip length] b) height minus (height divided by 1.618), then add 6 [this will give you roughly waist length]

Classic and waist are both golden ratio lengths, one determined from the head and one determined from the floor. This is why these two lengths are very pleasing to most people. The 6" is added for the standard LHC measurement style, to account for the top of the head.

For example, I am 5'5", which is 65"

a) 65/1.618=40.17 +6= 46.17" which is a couple inches short of fingertip for me
b) 65 - (65/1.618)= 24.83 +6= 30.83 which is almost exactly waist on me.

Islandgrrl
May 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Oh, hell, at this rate and with bum sag it could take me forever to get to classic!

TammySue
May 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks freznow! You rock! :cheese:

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Luckily hair usually travels down more quickly than butts do.

*hurry up, hair!*

angelthadiva
May 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
a) height divided by 1.618, then add 6 [this will give you roughly between classic and fingertip length] b) height minus (height divided by 1.618), then add 6 [this will give you roughly waist length]

Classic and waist are both golden ratio lengths, one determined from the head and one determined from the floor. This is why these two lengths are very pleasing to most people. The 6" is added for the standard LHC measurement style, to account for the top of the head.

When I saw this, my immediate reaction was OHNO!! But I took an deep breath and calculated everything out, and it seems pretty accurate...According to the GR, I'm actually 3.36" shy of my GR classic length! :joy:

mira-chan
May 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I am at Golden Ratio length now. It's 45.5" on me, that ended up being upper thigh. I went by pictures in determining classic length (42").

angelthadiva
May 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I am at Golden Ratio length now. It's 45.5" on me, that ended up being upper thigh. I went by pictures in determining classic length (42").

How tall are you?

I think I'm shrinking! I used to be 5'6 1/2...Now, DH measures me and I'm 5'3 3/4...That may explain why I'm growing horizontally if I'm shrinking vertically, right? LOL :D

I'm confused, and forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between classic and Golden Ratio?

Isn't classic the bottom of your bottom and GR being the mathematical formula based on your height to determine the actual length your hair should be to achieve that length?

rhosyn_du
May 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm really not sure about classic corresponding to the golden ratio. I calculated my golden ratio length a while back and determined it would fall somewhere between fingertip and knee lengths. I don't think I have a particularly short torso-to-leg ratio. :ponder:

mira-chan
May 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
How tall are you?

I think I'm shrinking! I used to be 5'6 1/2...Now, DH measures me and I'm 5'3 3/4...That may explain why I'm growing horizontally if I'm shrinking vertically, right? LOL :D

I'm confused, and forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between classic and Golden Ratio?

Isn't classic the bottom of your bottom and GR being the mathematical formula based on your height to determine the actual length your hair should be to achieve that length?

:lol: It may be tape measure user error there.
I'm 5'4" or so (164 cm exactly).

Golden ratio is the calculated length to your total hight disregarding body proportions other than the hight measure. Classic length is according to your proportions so if you have a short torso compared to legs your classic length in numbers will be shorter than that of a person with a long torso. The two measures don't always line up but they are generally somewhat close.

I'm really not sure about classic corresponding to the golden ratio. I calculated my golden ratio length a while back and determined it would fall somewhere between fingertip and knee lengths. I don't think I have a particularly short torso-to-leg ratio. :ponder:

It really depends on the person. On some people it falls right at classic. For me it falls between classic and finger tip as I have long monkey arms and finger tip is at least 47" on me while classic is 42".

angelthadiva
May 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me! :D

Morag
May 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM

What a great idea! When you get that designed, will you send me a pattern? :rolling:

feralnature
May 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think it can also have something to do with Phi (Golden Section, Divine Proportion) and the Human Body.

This site (http://goldennumber.net/body.htm)illustrates it well, the Divine Proportion of the Human body is shown by the blue line, which is from the top of the head to the fingertips. Fingertip length is right at Classic length.

Dulci, thanks for the link:)

Tangles
May 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Actually, I think the most flattering hair lengths are APL, somewhere between BSL and waist, and classic length. It must have something to do with the proportions of the body. I never thought of it that way. I think shoulder length, BSL and knee length can be very awkward as they tend to cut the body up, whereas the lengths I mentioned as attractive tend to "flow" better.

wintersun99
May 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM

I must have long arms - my fingertips fall below that crease line (butt/thigh) by about 3.5" and so eyeballing the measurement with ruler - classic is 44" ish on me. by the formula it is - 48.7" - I don't think I figured this out correctly. (i.e. I'm 5'9")

mira-chan
May 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I must have long arms - my fingertips fall below that crease line (butt/thigh) by about 3.5" and so eyeballing the measurement with ruler - classic is 44" ish on me. by the formula it is - 48.7" - I don't think I figured this out correctly. (i.e. I'm 5'9")

Your proportions and the "ideal golden ratio" ones usually don't line up. Finger tip on me is a good 5+ inches longer than classic and 2 or so inches longer than my golden ratio length. Golden ratio only accounts for total hight not for torso to leg proportion or the variation in arm length. These vary as people ancestrally from warmer climates tend to have longer limbs compared to body and the opposite for those from cold climates. The Golden ratio person in the drawing is an average of these values.

Mebo
May 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
So, as long as my hair grows faster than my rearend sags, I should make classic soon. Right? Any equations to make my rear sag slower? Vitamins? lol

Dulci
May 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
LOL Mebo!

Dulci, thanks for the link
You're very welcome, it's interesting, isn't it?

wintersun99 One thing I noticed, is that if I relax my arms and let my fingers curve naturally (as in the illustration), my fingertips meet right at the crease. If I flatten my hands and stretch my fingers out, of course they reach further down.

And like mira-chan said, not everyone will fit these proportions, they are an average of an ideal.

Heh, I may be trying too hard to make this theory fit, but I like it, it appeals to me. :flower: :D

Saranne772
May 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
It is 45.5 on me and Im at 38 inches now so I have 7.5 inches to go to Classic!! (I am only just about 1 inch past tb so not too bad

That is according to the aforementioned calculation.

According to the start of thigh method Its less. More like 42" (So I might go by that to get there quicker. Thats only 4 inches to go! Haha!!)

sapphire-o
May 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
According to that calculation I need 45"! That's thigh length for me. Guess I should be happy I don't need that much to get to classic? :)

embee
May 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
I gave up on measuring... my hair was too long for me to properly measure it with my tape measure - it was down to where I couldn't really grasp the ends and the tape together.

One day last year I sat down at my computer (my hair was down, I'd washed it and it was almost completely dry) and when I bent forward my hair pulled - I was sitting on the ends!!! It was *so* exciting! And for me, that meant Classic. Good thing, too, as the hair has not grown more than an inch since then. I think I'm at Terminal. Oh well... at least I got there before I died! ;)

When I want reassurance, I let my hair down, comb it out and then go sit down. Always makes me feel better. I usually laugh out loud, "Ha!". :)

Cowgirl16
November 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Heidihug, I'm guessing that you and I have discovered what Cinnamon Hair and shrimp will learn in about 10 to 15 years: the "official" classic length gets lower and lower on its own. :o

:lol:
OMG LMAO:D That is both true and funny!

Aliped
November 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM
This thread is hilarious! My goal length is tailbone or hip, both boney body parts, which will not sag! :)

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I would like to grow my hair to classic length, Thoughts on regular trims vs micro trim for your hair?

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I would like to grow my hair to classic length, Thoughts on regular trims vs micro trim for your hair?

How often do you trim it right now? What's your current routine with that?

Khristopher
October 10th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Oh my, this thread is ancient! lol
I calculated my golden ratio and it's 107.7cm... My hair is right at 107cm! And that sits just between classic and fingertip, so I guess it's a very good length. I'll let my hair grow those 7 millimeters so it's accurate :p

Dark40
October 10th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Right now my hair is WL, and on me that is 22 inches. For me, classic length is 32 inches on me. So, I've got 10 more inches to go to achieve that goal!! :D I believe very much so that it will happen very soon within the next year or 2.

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Right now my hair is WL, and on me that is 22 inches. For me, classic length is 32 inches on me. So, I've got 10 more inches to go to achieve that goal!! :D I believe very much so that it will happen very soon within the next year or 2.

How are you measuring/how tall are you? Just curious, WL on me is 31".

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 03:58 PM
How are you measuring/how tall are you? Just curious, WL on me is 31".

I'm measuring by how it looks from the back in the mirror. I'm very short. I'm 5'1" Wow, how tall are you?

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I'm measuring by how it looks from the back in the mirror. I'm very short. I'm 5'1" Wow, how tall are you?

I'm 5'7". The accepted standard last I know is to measure from the front hairline, over the crown of the head, and down to the ends. Thus my confusion.

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I'm 5'7". The accepted standard last I know is to measure from the front hairline, over the crown of the head, and down to the ends. Thus my confusion.

Yes, I've also heard that as well, and it is confusing for me as well, and I have a typo error. I put the wrong measurement. I put 22" instead of 16"...lol Because, I used to wear extensions 16" and 22" long.

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 05:06 PM
So I was curious about my measurements which I never did before and I'm 4'8 waist on me is 28 and classic is about 42 inches. Your body must be way tinier than mine dark40.

MusicalSpoons
October 11th, 2018, 05:24 PM
So I was curious about my measurements which I never did before and I'm 4'8 waist on me is 28 and classic is about 42 inches. Your body must be way tinier than mine dark40.

Well now that's most confusing because your measurements for waist and classic are about the same as mine (28.5" for waist, 42" classic) and I'm 5'6" :confused:

I've seen someone say it before, possibly even on this thread (I can't remember) but it bears repeating: body proportions and milestone measurements can be seriously weird!

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Well now that's most confusing because your measurements for waist and classic are about the same as mine (28.5" for waist, 42" classic) and I'm 5'6" :confused:

I've seen someone say it before, possibly even on this thread (I can't remember) but it bears repeating: body proportions and milestone measurements can be seriously weird!

That is so weird :| So does height not matter when it comes to our markers?

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM
I'm 5'8". Waist is about 30 inches on me (previously I measured 29, I just checked, and measured at 30), and classic is 45". Not that far off despite being a foot taller than littlestarface.

Gonna have to see where the golden ratio thing lies for me.

Crystawni
October 11th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Proportions are different for everyone (longer torso, or longer legs, arms... all that). I'm inbetween Zesty and MusicalSpoons for height, and my waist measurement from front hairline, stretched, is 30.3", with classic at 43". I worked out my Golden Ratio, too, and it's dead between waist and hip (32") at 31.11", and between classic and fingertip at 46.63", which is actually a fingercurl from fingertip (47+"). I've now set my goal as ~47", which is also roughly mid-thigh, because that's about where I've been headed all along. :grin:

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 05:41 PM
What the flip is a golden ratio?

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:44 PM
What the flip is a golden ratio?

It was brought up earlier in the thread regarding why it's called classic length:

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 05:45 PM
It was brought up earlier in the thread regarding why it's called classic length:

Ah thank you GC!

Can you figure out my golden ratio for me too? I'm so bad at math :rollin:

I'm 4'8" so I guess 56inches

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:52 PM
My golden ratio measurements are 31.97" which might as well be hip (32"), and 48" which is just past FTL.

Ah thank you GC!

Can you figure out my golden ratio for me too? I'm so bad at math :rollin:

I'm 4'8" so I guess 56inches

27.39" and 40.61"

Pretty close to your waist, and definitely shorter than classic for you xD

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 05:56 PM
My golden ratio measurements are 31.97" which might as well be hip (32"), and 48" which is just past FTL.

27.39" and 40.61"

Pretty close to your waist, and definitely shorter than classic for you xD

Hey thank you sweetheart!! Dang that sucks for me, my hair is at like 49inches right now.

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Hey thank you sweetheart!! Dang that sucks for me, my hair is at like 49inches right now.

You're welcome <3

And pft. Your hair is gorgeous at 49 inches. You have hair goal worthy hair.

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 06:05 PM
You're welcome <3

And pft. Your hair is gorgeous at 49 inches. You have hair goal worthy hair.

Thank you so much you're way too kind :smooch:! I have a picture of when my hair was above classic and tbh it didn't look good but it was before I was doing my CG method.

So like this golden ratio is what is supposed to look best on your body?

Crystawni
October 11th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I think if you divide your body into fifths, yes. It's like a balance thing. But I live outside that anyway, as my hair is up a lot of the time..! That may also be why higher and lower buns and ponytails of certain length can look good--if you divide only your head up into fifths, that is!

sophia_
October 12th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I finally made classic last year when I lost weight, lol.

mira-chan
October 12th, 2018, 04:43 PM

I have about the same classic measurement, and I think waist is something like 27 or 28 on me too. I haven't measured that in a looong time. I'm 5'4" and I'm all limbs. Since I last posted on this thread I found I have a longer arm span than height, so that might help comprehend my "land spider" look as DH calls it.

littlestarface
October 12th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I have about the same classic measurement, and I think waist is something like 27 or 28 on me too. I haven't measured that in a looong time. I'm 5'4" and I'm all limbs. Since I last posted on this thread I found I have a longer arm span than height, so that might help comprehend my "land spider" look as DH calls it.

This is so crazy I swear lol.

I have short arms I hate them so much :rollin:

mira-chan
October 12th, 2018, 05:55 PM
This is so crazy I swear lol.

I have short arms I hate them so much :rollin:
Aww, I think short arms are nice.

Meanwhile my land spider arms have sleeve problems. Full length sleeves of most things in my size hit my arms about 3 inches from the wrist. I habitually scrunch them to make them 3/4 length for it to not look ridiculous. I have the same length arms as my 5'9" DH. Though I wouldn't give mine up as I can reach stuff on the floor when sitting in a chair without getting up.

Dark40
October 12th, 2018, 08:33 PM
I finally made classic last year when I lost weight, lol.

Congratulations sophia! :) lol How long did it take to reach classic length?

JennyLue
October 15th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Im new here and am a little confused on this too. Partly because my hair is wavy and shrinks up some. When I pull it down, it’s at the bottom of my cheeks. Does anyone have any insight on what my length is considered right now? Here is a pic.

https://preview.ibb.co/fQSCqf/3-E8-D8362-2747-4-D76-BEB6-18-C0-B5-C94761.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggt7O0)

Dark40
October 15th, 2018, 09:31 PM

Yes, I have a short waistline or tarso. No, my body is also the same shape like yours. 32" is classic on me.

Dark40
October 15th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Im new here and am a little confused on this too. Partly because my hair is wavy and shrinks up some. When I pull it down, it’s at the bottom of my cheeks. Does anyone have any insight on what my length is considered right now? Here is a pic.

https://preview.ibb.co/fQSCqf/3-E8-D8362-2747-4-D76-BEB6-18-C0-B5-C94761.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggt7O0)

Hello and welcome! :) I know it can be confusing about the different lengths along with your height. Your length right now is classic. BTW, your hair is gorgeous too with waves! :D Thanks for sharing the photo.

littlestarface
October 15th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Yes, I have a short waistline or tarso. No, my body is also the same shape like yours. 32" is classic on me.

If it was the same shape as mine then you would have similar hair measurements. So I am very confused about your answers .

littlestarface
October 15th, 2018, 09:40 PM

It looks classic length to me even when its curly like in the pic.

Dark40
October 15th, 2018, 09:41 PM
If it was the same shape as mine then you would have similar hair measurements. So I am very confused about your answers .

I know it's confusing but my doctor measured my height, and I'm 5'1 with a BMI of 40+ Or, I'm full-figured.

littlestarface
October 15th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I know it's confusing but my doctor measured my height, and I'm 5'1 with a BMI of 40+ Or, I'm full-figured.

You should get a measuring tape and measure from hairline to waist and bottom of bum to get an accurate measurements.

JennyLue
October 15th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Hello and welcome! :) I know it can be confusing about the different lengths along with your height. Your length right now is classic. BTW, your hair is gorgeous too with waves! :D Thanks for sharing the photo.

Thanks so much! And I appreciate the clarification ��
N