PDA

View Full Version : My mom just commented on my hairstyle...

VenusHalley
March 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
"wear your hair down, guys and men like it. Don't wear your teacher-buns all the time"

;)

btw, I never had a teacher who wore updos. I had few young ones just out of school - all their manes down (and too much make up and shorter skirts than average High school student).

Katrina
March 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I have heard something like that too. Nothing about teachers though... My ex-boyfriend used to say, that I look like a grandmother when I'm wearing a bun (or a long skirt). I didn't get it, because in Finland women over 40 (or even over 30) have most often short or very short hair.

In my opinion, these kind of comments about hairstyles are a bit rude from loved ones. Perhaps they are not meant to be rude though...

teela1978
March 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I get slightly similar comments, but my family puts it a bit better. "Your hair is so beautiful, I love it when you wear it down!" Which I don't mind hearing. The added "you look like crap with it up" is fortunately not generally voiced.

Kristin
March 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
That is weird. People generally think my hair looks nice up and loooove it when I let my hair out of an up-do. Your mom is being silly. Why would you want some guy who only likes you with your hair down, anyway???

marikamt
March 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
My grandma is the only one who has commented on my hair.... she has a general dislike of long hair (always asks me why I want it so long, even when it was just at APL/BSL) but really likes it when I have it bunned.... she even makes me show her how I bun it (and is impressed at how quick I can put it up... :lol:) She thinks hair sticks and toys (in bunned hair) are good too.....

jera
March 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Most of my female high school teachers wore their hair long and free flowing. They'd only bun it when the weather was hot and muggy. :o

I think the bunning thing is an outmoded stereo type. It doesn't mean a woman is a librarian. ( Where I live it could mean she's an artist ! ).:D

Though it's always nice to be attractive to others, I'd want guys to value my other qualities, as well as my long hair of course. :p

Liave Ekeli
March 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I get slightly similar comments, but my family puts it a bit better. "Your hair is so beautiful, I love it when you wear it down!" Which I don't mind hearing.

Same here. But sometimes they'll complement me on my updos too...my mom has never said that she doesn't like my hair up, but that's probably because she's had long hair herself in the past and knows first hand how impractical it can sometimes be to wear it down. I have gotten the 'guys like girls with long hair' comment from her, though, which I don't mind.

1nuitblanche
March 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
DBF complains about my hair when it's up too--especially when it's in a bun, and then, even more so when it's got a hairstick to hold it up. He might have a little less of a problem with it if I had bangs or a fringe, but in general, he thinks it makes me look too old/severe, etc. with it back. Alternately, my mother thinks it is wonderful when it's up, and most of my female friends give me occasional compliments whether it is up or down. So, this isn't really a conclusive post, just a "reporting observations" one.

kjirstiben
March 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I get a fair amount of flak from the family, too, at times... Most recently from my dad who HATES the red (henna) and wants me to go "back to blonde". Umm, sorry, that ship sailed when my hair darkened up in college (though I highlighted it into straw for another 8 years or so...)

I will say, though, that when I do wear my hair down--which is rare these days--I get a LOT of male attention. I think when it's up it's "invisible" or something. :)

julliams
March 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I was a primary school teacher and I always wore it down until I tried a little experiment. One year I started the year off with it back every day - not always bunned, but always up in some way. I found my students responded better to my requests - it was like a "lets get to work" look. The days I chose to wear my hair down, I noticed my students more relaxed and much more chatty. Could be complete coincidence but just something I noticed.

Perhaps you can let your mother know that your hair will look beautiful when it's down if you keep it protected by bunning it most of the time.

I think to some degree it's true that guys like hair out (I know that is a generalisation)- certainly true in my experience, but you also have to be practical. Also I think if you wear it up most of the time, when you wear it down it is more appreciated??? Maybe??

Dreams_in_Pink
March 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
i kinda agree with her. Loose hair has that movement and sexiness to it that none of the buns have. Of course there are some very cute and impressive buns out there, but "free" hair is the most appealing way to wear long hair IMO.

GoddesJourney
March 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
"wear your hair down, guys and men like it. Don't wear your teacher-buns all the time"

;)

btw, I never had a teacher who wore updos. I had few young ones just out of school - all their manes down (and too much make up and shorter skirts than average High school student).

That's funny. It's true, though. I think sometimes we forget to just let all our hair down and enjoy it. It's nice when men like it too, but I like my own hair.

Peter
March 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Most people around me have hair that's short enough that wearing it down all the time is no problem. When I see someone with some kind of braid or bun, I'm intrigued because I don't see them that often. I also think it's cool because it makes me feel a bit less socially isolated. :o

Maybe it's just because I have long hair too, and I know that wearing it down all the time isn't practical once it gets to a certain length.

girloctopus
March 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM
My mom told me that I look like Cher with my hair down. I don't believe it was meant to be a compliment. It's getting "weirdly long." I was like, "Thanks Mom." :rolleyes:

I think it all depends on the guy. Down can be pretty, but my SO likes it when it's up as well because he says that it shows off my "graceful" neck as well (lol, I am anything but graceful).

JenniferNoel
March 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
My SO loves my hair no matter what, but he's been especially fond of my tiny braids. ;)
Open hair tends to have a graceful, swingy, feminine appearance which naturally is more appealing to most men then up-dos.

ETA: And I've never had a teacher comment about any bun I've worn but I've definitely had the "I wonder what would happen if we pull the hairstick out" experience in a restaurant a few months ago.

Sissy
March 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
my husband actually always compliments me when I wear my hair up... he says it looks nice :o Maybe he's only saying it because he knows I'm a little self-conscious to wear it up in public because I think my face is a bit fat for that...

Anyhow, it's nice to know that he's supportive of me wearing it up.

I also agree with what was said about loose hair being romantic looking, but I think that a nice non-aggressive updo can be really romantic too.

trillcat
March 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I wear my hair up a lot more now that is getting longer than it has been in quite a while, and it does make me look older, and I don't care!
I have a big face, a fat chin and rosacea/acne scars, not the most attractive face to wear pulled back hair, but again, don't care!
This is me, and my face with all it's flaws, like it or not, it is what it is. If men don't like my hair this way, too bad for them, their loss, not mine. (I am single) I go with the saying on this board that "I am not here to decorate your world"
I do like the way I look with my hair down, but that is not always an option on between wash days, windy days, days when I have running around to do and can't be bothered with combing it every 5 minutes so it doesn't look all frazzled.
I am leaning all the time more intricate updos and braids as the hair gets longer, and they can be so beautiful, people look at you and wonder how in the world did you do that!? :D

Lamb
March 14th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Guys *and* men? What's the difference? :ponder:

I don't really get this "men like this or that, so you need to do this or that" rationale. First off, men are people - they have their own likes and dislikes. (I haven't found the "all men prefer long hair" thing true, either, no matter how many friends have tried to drill it into me.)
Second, I dislike the implied message that a woman's first priority should be men's approval. :shrug: