PDA

View Full Version : Hair coloring accident for many reasons

JenniferNoel
March 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Well, for starters, I ended up having to cover the non-permanent green (don't cry), given the fact that I'm looking for a new job and there's nowhere I can think of that would hire a radioactive sludge ball, so I tried to overtake it with red to get some sort of brown-ish color. But the red was a little... er... strong... and this is the outcome.
As for your information my hair is in perfectly good shape (I know how much dye is too much), and I'm pretty sure I can't take it with so I'm going to enjoy it while I'm here. You know what I mean. :cool:
And I got to perform one time yesterday with the green hair and guitar, so no waste. I miss it, but at least I can say I did. Now I'm feeling a little self conscious as I've never been a "red head" before, but after a little miscalculation and several honey treatments to even everything out, this is the result. Am I being ridiculous, or does it look alright? I wear snoods and bandannas often so I'm not too worried about the red on top, but if it does really look as bad as I think it does (I am done with [mean word!!] chemical dye now, this is my last endeavor with it. Yes, black is my color, but if I ever want to have virgin hair and not worry about unattractive contrast, I guess this is the way to go), is there any natural way I can tone it down? If I were younger I'd worry less, but I really need opinions. Here are the pictures. Hair is slightly damp and frizzy (humid, muggy day yet again), so excuse the mess. LOL. So please tell me it doesn't look too awful. But be honest. :violin:

I really think it's time to leave it be. Don't yell at me. I admit my mistakes. :blushing: Moral, I guess I had my fun and now I better let my hair do it's thing. I know I just colored my roots green, honey lightened, and then put red over everything, but still, it's been so long since I've changed color more dramatically than a natural fade.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/DSC00387.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/DSC00375-Copy.jpg

deviantkitten
March 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Honestly, I like it!
My hair was bright bright red for a long time. The only way I ver got rid of it was to wait a month or so until as much washed out as i could wait for. Then I just dyed over it with dye in a box I bought in a drug store.
Of you are really getting sick of it, you may need to strip it, which I would not recommend because it will damage your hair, and right now so soon after dyeing your hair may not be very resiliant. I would say let it be for now. I think it looks really cool. If you do decide to dye it back with permanent colour closer to your shade, you may want to wait at least a week and a few more washings.

TinaDenali
March 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I like the way it looks, too. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a new job, prospective employers are not as accepting as the long-haired lovelies are here. I wish it wasn't so, but I really think it is. I used to have very blonde hair with chunky black streaks and I loved it - but after graduation my mom told me I should dye it all one color before I started college because too often people judge on appearances only. I suppose it may depend on where you'd like to get a job.
I hope I don't offend! It wasn't my intent, just trying to put another perspective out there.

And I agree with deviantkitten, give it a few days before you dye it again. And, I *love* all black. That's what I did to my hair at the advice of my mom. It's so mysterious and lovely. But maybe I'm biased. :)

ericthegreat
March 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I really love the red! It looks killer on you. And I was just getting used to the radioactive green!
I really wouldn't tone anything down if I were you, because I can tell your inner personality loves to be different. You're an artist, so don't ever feel ashamed to be who you really are!

I think if you want to look a bit more "socially acceptable" for your job(God I hate that even in the year 2010, we are all still judged by how we choose to look on the outside rather than who we really are inside) perhaps you might want to slick your hair completely back into a ponytail or a casual bun. That's pretty conservative looking.

Seriously, I've seen at least in NYC men with APL to even BSL in suits working in a business or corporate job, and pink and purple and green and blue hair on girls who are also carrying Gucci handbags. I've seen hairstyles and styles of clothing that are FAR MORE progressive than your personal choice of style Jennifer, so I think you might be worrying a bit too much about what your new job might say about your hair. I'd go to the interview or the first day on the job as you are right now, maybe slick your hair into a ponytail or bun, dress a bit formal and wear some natural, neutral toned makeup and see what happens.

And honestly IMHO, any place that didn't accept how I personally choose to present myself( and I shower twice every day, put on deodorant, and I definitely dress to impress so I know that I do everything else to "fit in") simply because of a hairstyle wouldn't be a place I'd want to work at anyway.

JenniferNoel
March 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I really love the red! It looks killer on you. And I was just getting used to the radioactive green!
I really wouldn't tone anything down if I were you, because I can tell your inner personality loves to be different. You're an artist, so don't ever feel ashamed to be who you really are!

I think if you want to look a bit more "socially acceptable" for your job(God I hate that even in the year 2010, we are all still judged by how we choose to look on the outside rather than who we really are inside) perhaps you might want to slick your hair completely back into a ponytail or a casual bun. That's pretty conservative looking.

Seriously, I've seen at least in NYC men with APL to even BSL in suits working in a business or corporate job, and pink and purple and green and blue hair on girls who are also carrying Gucci handbags. I've seen hairstyles and styles of clothing that are FAR MORE progressive than your personal choice of style Jennifer, so I think you might be worrying a bit too much about what your new job might say about your hair. I'd go to the interview or the first day on the job as you are right now, maybe slick your hair into a ponytail or bun, dress a bit formal and wear some natural, neutral toned makeup and see what happens.

And honestly IMHO, any place that didn't accept how I personally choose to present myself( and I shower twice every day, put on deodorant, and I definitely dress to impress so I know that I do everything else to "fit in") simply because of a hairstyle wouldn't be a place I'd want to work at anyway.

Thanks!! I chose red because I've seen a few people around the places of choice whom have bright red streaks so I figured if they can pull it off, so can I. It's just more of a thing of how far I can go with the punky look and still be professional looking. :cool:

goodenough
March 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to live with a red mistake-semi-perm that doesn't want to go away. It's hard not to mess with it, but whatever. I'm trying to wait until I have noticeable roots before I throw on a box of dark brown:)

2peasinapod
March 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Personally, I love the way it looks!:)

If you're worried about looking professional, is there an updo that can hide some of the red? Or maybe a small snood or scarf? I second the suggestion of a bun (or maybe a braided bun) or other conservative hair style (as well as neutral dress).

It's too bad that employers might not look past the red - it really looks great! :flower:

jera
March 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think you look smoking ! And I like the way you styled it too. Great effect. :D

JenniferNoel
March 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone. :flower:

Yeah, apparently snoods are acceptable and I own loads of them. I'm probably going to braid and hide the red under the snood when needed.
And I'm relieved to hear positive feedback on the way it looks. I was worried it made me look too... bozo-ish. :o

Rhiannon7
March 15th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Jen your hair color looks good, not bozo at all. (check out my blog page for bozo, she's there. 5th. pic from the top. )
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=22234

Red hair is very good anywhere. agree with the buns and braids and snoods, you have awsome hair and i know it is difficult to get rid of your green color but the red came out just great!