PDA

View Full Version : advice on my crappy hair with photos

sandrak
March 13th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I have been fighting my hair for the last few months. I'm not exactly sure what is going on but from above my ears all the way down it looks like my hair has been breaking or something. I don't see any splits but it seriously looks like my hair has been layering itself. I am at a breaking point. I don't know if I should cut short and start all over. I thought about layers. I have been taking so great care of my hair, so I don't know what is causing this. I don't heat style and I don't wash everyday. I have been using henndigo glosses, but I don't think this has caused this because it started before. Actually, I started the glosses hoping to help my hair. But the glosses have faded dramatically. They don't stick around more than a couple of weeks. My hair does feel soft and not damaged, but it looks like teetotal crap! What would you do? Here are a couple of photos that kind of show what I am talking about. I hope the photos don't come out too big.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/sandrak1/crappyhair002.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/sandrak1/crappyhair004.jpg

Clarisse
March 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
It is normal to have hair at many different lengths, but this looks slightly more "layered" than what is natural. How do you detangle your hair? :)

sandrak
March 13th, 2010, 03:56 AM
It is normal to have hair at many different lengths, but this looks slightly more "layered" than what is natural. How do you detangle your hair? :)

To be honest my hair doesn't get tangled too much. I just cond. in the shower and comb. Really no problems with tangles.

cardamom
March 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
It could either be 1.new growth 2.overenthusiastic S & D or 3.hair breaking off!

If your hair is healthy and well manageable,sit at ease! It could be due to reasons 1 or 2
If you have split ends,white spots and tangly , brittle or dry hair they are most likely broken hairs.

Don't worry,try deep conditioning weekly (SMT is a good choice),a leave in conditioner, or a drop or two of oil on your lengths after shower and gentle handling will do.:)

Xandergrammy
March 13th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I don't think your hair looks crappy. It looks pretty healthy to me and my guess is that you have some baby hairs that are a shorter length. :flowers:

countryhopper
March 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Look carefully at the ends of the offending hairs :)

If they have a tapered end, they are babies!

Gothic Lolita
March 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
My hair looks exactly the same in certain lightening and it is healthy. They're, for me, new growth finally grwoing down. Look at the ends of these hairs: if the look tapered, they're baby hairs, if split it might be breakage.

myrrhmaiden
March 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
How strenuously are you combing it while its wet?

Charlotte
March 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Your hair looks lovely to me.... it just looks as though you have variable length new growth - same as I do. My hair dresser (who I hardly ever see) said that it is very common for longer hair to look like this; ie, variable lengths. I also thought mine was all broken off hair but when I inspected closer, found out that they are indeed unbroken new hairs. :)

sandrak
March 13th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the comments! I wish I saw it as lovely.
Maybe it is just new growth because I honestly don't see any splits at all. I am just going to get mini trims and see if that helps I guess.

Fiferstone
March 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Judging from the close-up, it's new growth :). I've got tons of it at the front of my hairline myself, although that part has definitely thinned out for me over the years. And no, it definitely does not look like "teetotal cr@p" I think your hair is beautiful. :blossom:

celelu
March 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I have the same problem on my lenght. They are probably babies! The reason why they are sticking out is maybe static. If you can find a way to make them point down and integrate the direction of your lenght, which I am also looking for, you wouldn't have this problem! I heard about methi fenugreek too, but I didn't find it yet. Did you try an oil leave-in or a serum? For me, the whole point is to give my hair a kind of balanced and flexible «weight»... Good luck! ;)

spidermom
March 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
It looks normal to me. Everybody who doesn't keep their hair short has hair of every length. You know how it goes: you shed hairs every day, and new hairs start growing every day. I think you're looking too close. Back away from the mirror and evaluate it as a whole. That's how other people see you (except for evil nit-pickers, but who cares about them?).

Isilme
March 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Have you had a heavy shed recently? Or maybe some months ago or even a year and your hair has started to grow again. Is that possible?

sandrak
March 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Have you had a heavy shed recently? Or maybe some months ago or even a year and your hair has started to grow again. Is that possible?

Maybe. I had surgery last year. I don't know if that would have caused me to shed though. I have been under a great deal of stress with my 19yr. son and his dad always fighting. So, maybe that has caused me to shed?

Dientje
March 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Very well possible. Stress can cause you to shed more, I don't know about surgery but I can imagine that having aneasthetics also has some negative effects on your body.

So don't worry, pamper these new baby hair and don't cut them off when the ends are tapered. I read somewhere in a thread that the tapered ends of new growth are stronger than cut ends.

Your hair looks very healthy and pretty! Maybe just do some SMT so your hair is less static, for me that makes those new hairs less obvious.

GoddesJourney
March 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Everyone has all different lengths. For me, sulfates make my hair turn up at the ends like that, so you can really see it. Since I've stopped using sulfates and silicones, that all got a lot better. I started COing a few weeks ago and I am WAY happier. Not so much now on the frizz or the ends turning up.

ravenreed
March 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The only way my hairs are all the same length is a regular trim every six weeks. Not all hairs grow at the same rate, so right there you are going to differences. For instance my right side is usually longer than my left if I go more than 2 months without a trim... Then add in the baby hairs, etc. I always have new growth going on so I will always have a halo around my head, and hairs all different lengths.

I think that the ends flipping up is what makes it look more noticeable. Have you tried a bit of oil on the ends or using a leave in? Mine don't do that as a rule. I have a friend who has finer hair than me and I have seen hers do it.

Marjolein
March 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I noticed someone else said the same, but to me it seems like your hair is just a little static. My hair looks the same right now, at the end of the winter, lot's of flyaway hairs. Don't dispair, just wait for spring!

curlylocks85
March 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I do not think that is breakage. I think it is new growth, which has never seen a pair of scissors. Also, since hair has different growth rates/cycles, it makes sense that it looks like it is layering itself. I would not worry about it. If you cut it then you would have to start all over again and possibly end up with the same result. Keep doing what you are doing and only trim when breakage is involved. :)

sandrak
March 14th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Thank you everyone for all the helpful comments. My hair isn't just like this in the front, it is like this all around. Since it is like this all over is it more likey new growth and not breakage?
I was so distressed that I set up a hair appointment for next week to get a major cut. I was either going to cut short again or get layers. Now, I am just getting a small trim. I need that anyway because I haven't had one since December. Hopefully if I keep babying and getting mini trims the shorter hairs will catch up.

julliams
March 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Do you wear your hair in a ponytail often? My daughter has this and I figured it's because she wears her hair in a ponytail everyday.
Either that or its new growth.