PDA

View Full Version : Babassu Oil; Is this a good hair oil?

pinchbeck
March 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I tried to find babassu oil (this oil comes from the babassu palm in the Amazon in South America) in advanced search on TLHC and couldn't find anything. If there is a thread, please post it here.

I noticed some hair products contain this oil. Would babassu oil be a good hair oil? How does it compare to coconut oil (apparently they're similar)? Do you like it?

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I've never used it, but if it's similar to coconut oil, it should work great on skin and hair. Is it expensive? If it is, I guess there's no real reason to try it out. If it's no too bad, I suppose you could try it out and tell us all how it compares.

akka naeda
March 13th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I bought some along with capacu (sp?) butter and because they were expensive I mixed them with coconut oil. For my hair it's better than straight coconut oil, in fact it's the best thing I ever used. I can't remember the precise amounts for my mix right now, but can probably find them if you wanted them

Pierre
March 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM
You mean cupuaçu butter? It's a close relative of cocoa.

GlassEyes
March 13th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Babassu is a highly moisturizing ingredient in some hair products-anyone familiar with Chagrin valley can testify to that. They have a soap made with it that's pretty powerful stuff--though my hair hated it.

Brownie
March 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I used Babassu Oil for a while and I loved it :cheese: My hair likes both Babassu and Coconut, but Coconut oil is cheaper :D

Henna Sooq
March 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yes coconut oil is cheaper for sure, but you can get some of it's benefits if you try out a shampoo bar and that way it'd be less expensive.

indigonight
March 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
babassu oil is great!