PDA

View Full Version : split end destruction method: less search, more destroy!

birthmarkie
March 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I just tried a new method of finding and trimming my split ends and I had to share it. I'm sure it's not new, but I'd never thought of it until today. My ends are riddled with split ends, white dots, and breaks lately and random S&D sessions wouldn't work. This new method seems to work, though! If it's been discussed before, sorry I missed it, and just take this as a :thumbsup: from a happy customer.

So, here it is:

Detangle hair thoroughly and braid to one side of my head. Tie off securely. Leave unbraided as much of your ends as have the most splits, and bring the braid and the unbraided ends over your shoulder. Starting at where you tied off the braid, twist the ends gently in one direction. You will notice immediately that little hairs will pop out and that most of these will be the hairs that have been damaged by splits, dots, and breaks. Go through and trim these off with your S&D scissors. You can twist in the other direction, too - as well as twist smaller sections of your ends - to do a thorough job.

Enjoy the results!!!

Ravenne
March 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hey, that's a great idea! I imagine it'd be a great method for those with very thick hair or lots of layers too! Thanks!

Stormcast
March 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Sounds effective! I'll have to give it a try :) Thanks for putting this up!

cardamom
March 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
This has been my way of S & D for several years.I learnt it from a hair stylist who also advised me to bend the twisted sections for additional split ends to pop out.:)

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I did it this way (not the braid but the twisting) the first few times because there were too many to just do in straight sections.

ladyships
April 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
ha, i can’t imagine doing S&D without doing it this way. i’ve got extremely thick hair, so whenever i want to do a thorough S&D, i braid my hair on each side of my head, right over my ears, re-brushing each strand as i braid so it’s braided as straight as possible—then bring my high stool out onto the deck, sit out in direct sunlight, & go up and down the braids, bending from different angles, until i can no longer find any more split ends. then i take my hair out of the braids, brush thoroughly with a boar’s hair then a comb, & re-braid and repeat the process. i keep doing that till i can’t find any anymore. then i CO unless i want to be shedding tiny hairs all over my clothes for the rest of the day.

using tiny insanely sharp precise scissors—like the kind they sell in sewing supply stores, for cutting fabric—tends to result in less split ends in the future, i’ve found. if i use crappy scissors, or scissors that are too big to ensure that you’re cutting the hairs from a right angle, screws things up [i think].

if i’m bored with scissors but not enough to go outside or braid my hair, i get a comb or boarhair brush & go through my hair in flat sections, pressing each section into the teeth of whatever, then folding the rest of the section around the back of the brush, holding it taut with one hand, & snipping split ends as they pop up on the side of the brush where the hair is being bent as i slowly go down the length. the nice thing about this is it’s easy to get a bunch in one go, at the correct angle, & you never cut off more than an inch of any split hair.

[i’ve sometimes fantasized about having a hairbrush with a brush on both sides, with very slicksmooth clips to hold the section of hair taut along the side of the brush, & a little guillotine with a comb in front of one of the blades attached to the clip for snipping the ends that pop up as you brush through yr hair. that’d make doing S&D a breeeeeze.]

spidermom
April 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Sounds great; unfortunately, my split ends are so grabby that they rarely pop out, preferring to cling to other hairs and hide.

paperwhite
April 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
That does sound like a good idea. I think I'll try that next time I do some S&D :)

Cirafly24
April 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm about due for a thorough S&D, so I'll try this. Thanks! :)