PDA

View Full Version : I cut and I'm kind of sad

Yarn Muse
March 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I hadn't had a cut in six months...that's ages for me! Day before yesterday I evened up my longish layers, and got rid of most of them....but went from 20" (the longest straggliest back part) to 18.5. I cut less off the sides and front, trying for a blunt hem.

One good thing...I started at 17" when I joined four months ago, so I'd gained three inches in that time. That's a lot for me, possibly due to supplements and better hair care?

I like it being more even...but I feel almost bald! And I look at all the lovely long-haired heads here with waist length and longer hair, and think HOW LONG it will take to get there.

Sigh. Okay...whine over. But if you have any advice or words of encouragement, I'd be grateful. Most people don't understand...I mean, my hair is still just past shoulders...what's the big deal? But it seems short to me.

Prism
March 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hi, YM,

Some thoughts...

I know you lost length, but you evened things up. Having been layered before, when you're just bringing up the bottom, the canopy can start to get very damaged on the ends. Now you've got the fresh ends. You'll be able to keep track of their condition much more easily and get things trimmed all at once now.

I think the layered effect is pretty, but I can't count how many times I've seen someone get them cut to one length, and the hair actually appears longer and thicker. I know the longest layers were longer, but the eye plays tricks. If layers are too thin, then my eye visually subtracts the longest, thin layers and "sees" the hair where most of it is.

If you didn't treat those long layers well, you've just been given some inches to baby. :)

I hope this helps.

Demetrue
March 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I know how you feel. I recently felt that my hair was long enough, at shoulder, to even up some of the longest layers and get rid of the very damaged end parts. I only cut off an inch or so, but now it feels so short again and it is no longer touching my shoulders on the sides any more. I will just have to be patient again for a couple of months till I get the length back.

MissMandyElizab
March 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
i know it must be sad but hink of it as a fresh start!!!!

Yarn Muse
March 12th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks, ladies. It helps to be reminded of why it's sometimes good to cut, and to hear from others in the same boat.

I need to forget about length for a while, and focus on enjoying the journey...either just put it up and forget it, or learn some fun new styles, depending on the day.

Yarn Muse
March 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, MissMandy, a fresh start. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Brat
March 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
You cut off an inch and a half? You'll have that back in 6 weeks.

jera
March 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM
You cut off an inch and a half? You'll have that back in 6 weeks.

This is true ! Let it lift your spirits. :) Evening out layers is such a bummer. I've been there too.

skysraine
March 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
By the time the :sun:is kissing our bare shoulders this summer,
all will be a faint memorie.... View it as when you give a rose bush a trim.... The rich,viborant colors that explode, the healthy look it has! Be Happy xOXO

cardamom
March 13th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I too had a major trim of about 10 inches.Hair grows faster than you think,dear!I have survived what your are going through now.Just enjoy loving your hair more and more.:)

Hana
March 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
By the time the :sun:is kissing our bare shoulders this summer,
all will be a faint memorie.... View it as when you give a rose bush a trim.... The rich,viborant colors that explode, the healthy look it has! Be Happy xOXO

i was thinking about saying something similar, but you hit the nail on the head, and its both poetic and true.
well said.

Yarn Muse
March 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and sage advice. I'll try to keep it all in perspective and enjoy my more even ends.

jera
March 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I too had a major trim of about 10 inches.Hair grows faster than you think,dear!I have survived what your are going through now.Just enjoy loving your hair more and more.:)

This is a very healthy way to view a 10 inch change. :)

Calista
March 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
IMO all-one-length hair looks and feels longer than layered hair, so even though you cut it might appear longer now.