PDA

View Full Version : Eeeep! Flakes! Help!

UncommonTart
March 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not really sure if this belongs here, or in the "Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare" section, or on the "Conventional Products and Accessories" section, so please do move it if it'd go better somehwere else, dear mods.

I'd been using Chagrin valley bars for some time, with great results. I followed with an ACV rinse and a light cone free conditioner, and oiled the length lightly afterward. This worked beautifully on my hair, as the roots tend to be oily and the ends, dry.

The problem is, recently here the humidity has dropped significantly. I've never lived in a "dry" climate before and I don't know what to about this. My scalp is all... gross. Flakes- big, stand-out-and-be-noticed flakes, and they are making me miserable. I even went back to sulfates and cones in order to try dandruff shampoos. The flakes remained, defiant, and my hair went back to being all frizzy-poofy-unmanageable like it was before I started with CV bars.

Nothing has worked, and I miss my happy shampoo-commercial hair that I had with CV bars, in the days BF. (Before Flakes.) I had just reached my goal length, too! I was so happy with my hair, and now I'm thinking about a cut. Help me!

Arrow Juniper
March 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
If it's caused by the drop in humidity, it sounds like your not getting enough moisture to your scalp. Moisturize that scalp! My DBFF has this and suggests oiling your scalp, she uses coconut and castor oil mix, before shampooing. She used her first CV shampoo bar today too, Nettle.

little_acorn
March 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
:grouphug: have you tried oiling your scalp with a deep treatment over night and then scritching it?

UncommonTart
March 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM
If it's caused by the drop in humidity, it sounds like your not getting enough moisture to your scalp. Moisturize that scalp! My DBFF has this and suggests oiling your scalp, she uses coconut and castor oil mix, before shampooing. She used her first CV shampoo bar today too, Nettle.

:grouphug: have you tried oiling your scalp with a deep treatment over night and then scritching it?

Y'know, I haven't tried oiling my scalp. It's just never occurred to me- I've always had oily scalp. Right now, I have coconut and jojoba oil in the house, as well as a few essential oils. I can get something else to try, but probably not 'til Sunday when I do the shopping. What do you think would work best?

ETA: and... this is a silly question, but how do you oil the scalp? I mean, I've lost a lot of hair due to illness-related thinning, but it's still some thick up there... How do I get the oil to the scalp (where it needs to go)?

Fractalsofhair
March 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Try putting the conditioner on your scalp, then rinse it out, that worked for me when I had a dry scalp. Also, try a heavier conditioner that's cone free!

UncommonTart
March 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Try putting the conditioner on your scalp, then rinse it out, that worked for me when I had a dry scalp. Also, try a heavier conditioner that's cone free!

I think I'll try this in the morning, and then try oiling my scalp after the weekend, when I haven't got to be out the door before seven AM. Thanks!

Gabriel
March 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Y'know, I haven't tried oiling my scalp. It's just never occurred to me- I've always had oily scalp. Right now, I have coconut and jojoba oil in the house, as well as a few essential oils. I can get something else to try, but probably not 'til Sunday when I do the shopping. What do you think would work best?

ETA: and... this is a silly question, but how do you oil the scalp? I mean, I've lost a lot of hair due to illness-related thinning, but it's still some thick up there... How do I get the oil to the scalp (where it needs to go)?

I'd try the jojoba on your scalp. I use it on mine sometimes.

There are probably a lot of different ways to get the oil where you need it. I use a cotton pad with the oil on it and part my hair section by section and apply it directly onto the scalp.

After I've gotten as much oil as I can on this way, I massage it around for a bit with the pads of my fingertips gently, adding more oil if needed.

( I sometimes do this with a very strong nettle tea or an infused nettle oil to help with flakes. )

If where you live has gotten that dry, you might consider a humidifier for your skin and hair.

UncommonTart
March 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I'd try the jojoba on your scalp. I use it on mine sometimes.

There are probably a lot of different ways to get the oil where you need it. I use a cotton pad with the oil on it and part my hair section by section and apply it directly onto the scalp.

After I've gotten as much oil as I can on this way, I massage it around for a bit with the pads of my fingertips gently, adding more oil if needed.

( I sometimes do this with a very strong nettle tea or an infused nettle oil to help with flakes. )

If where you live has gotten that dry, you might consider a humidifier for your skin and hair.

Thanks! I'll definitely try that. How long do you leave the oil in? Overnight? Longer? (If it'll get rid of the wretched flakes, I could be convinced to oil my scalp and just wear a hat for a day or so, provided I haven't got to go to work...)

And as for the humidifier, I keep thinking about buying one, but at the moment I am not suffering from an overabundance of space or money and I keep convincing myself that it's silly to buy something like that, which then has to go somewhere, when I live in what is generally considered part of the country's "steam belt."

Gabriel
March 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I usually just apply the oil a few hours before I plan on shampooing but I don't see why you couldn't leave it over night.

I'd try a treatment of a few hours first and see if it does anything to help.

An alternative to a humidifier could be if you have a smallish kitchen, boiling some water and hanging out in there. Or if your bathroom has an exhaust fan, maybe not using it after a steamy shower/bath and leaving the door open so it could moisturize the nearby rooms a little.

Arrow Juniper
March 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I like to use a Q-tip to get it right to where it needs to go, all the way down between the hairs, and then I massage my scalp.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Garnier Fructise is Triple Nutrition is pretty heavy and cone free. It works great for me for controlling this kind of thing because the oil is heavy enough to stay on my scalp. Yes, I put conditioner directly on my scalp. I CO, but I always did this and it's always worked great for me.

skysraine
March 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Flakes can come from a wide variety of different circumstances. Hormones, Hard water, Continual use of the same sham/cond., somthing your body is detoxing out your scalp, eczema. But you wont lose your hair from it. It's easy enough to remedy... Just be patient, Here is some information and reasonable tips...:meditate:
Possible reasons for dandruff include poor circulation and the overuse of products that dry the scalp. The most common cause is the irregular production of an oily substance, called sebum, by the scalp’s sebaceous glands. More rarely, dandruff is a sign of an infection by the microscopic fungus Pityrosporum. To get rid of dandruff and promote scalp health, try these simple anti-dandruff treatments.
Stimulating shampoo: Steep two cups (500 ml) of boiling water with two tablespoons (30 ml) each of dried sage, thyme and rosemary (all of which have antimicrobial properties) until room temperature. Strain. Combine one-quarter cup (60 ml) of the herbal tea with one-quarter cup (60 ml) of a mild, natural baby shampoo, which is gentle on the scalp. Add 15 drops of eucalyptus and 15 drops of lavender essential oils. Shake well before use.

Herbal rinse: Combine one-half cup (125 ml) of apple cider vinegar with the remaining tea and add 15 to 20 drops each of eucalyptus and lavender. Mix well. After shampooing and rinsing your hair, gently massage one-quarter cup (60 ml) of the rinse into your scalp. Leave on a few minutes before rinsing. Condition as normal.

Nighttime treatment: Every night, rub your scalp with about one tablespoon (15 ml) of the following mixture: one-half cup (125 ml) distilled witch hazel and 15 to 20 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender and rosemary. Repeat until the condition clears up.

It’s also important to nourish the scalp from the inside. The body may be lacking in the essential fatty acids found in nuts, flax seed and evening primrose oil. To counteract an inefficient carbohydrate or fatty-acid metabolism, which can cause dandruff, eat plenty of vitamin B-rich foods, such as eggs and cabbage. Sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes or fresh wheat germ, both excellent sources of B vitamins, onto your breakfast cereals and salads. Hope I could help XOXO

UncommonTart
March 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Garnier Fructise is Triple Nutrition is pretty heavy and cone free. It works great for me for controlling this kind of thing because the oil is heavy enough to stay on my scalp. Yes, I put conditioner directly on my scalp. I CO, but I always did this and it's always worked great for me.

I didn't know any of the Garnier were cone-free. I used to love some of the Fructise products before I quite cones and sulfates. Thanks!

UncommonTart
March 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I usually just apply the oil a few hours before I plan on shampooing but I don't see why you couldn't leave it over night.

I'd try a treatment of a few hours first and see if it does anything to help.

An alternative to a humidifier could be if you have a smallish kitchen, boiling some water and hanging out in there. Or if your bathroom has an exhaust fan, maybe not using it after a steamy shower/bath and leaving the door open so it could moisturize the nearby rooms a little.

I like to use a Q-tip to get it right to where it needs to go, all the way down between the hairs, and then I massage my scalp.

Thanks- I'm going to try oiling my scalp for sure. Maybe if I run a steamy bath too, it'll be like a spa treatment. :lol:

UncommonTart
March 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Flakes can come from a wide variety of different circumstances. Hormones, Hard water, Continual use of the same sham/cond., somthing your body is detoxing out your scalp, eczema. But you wont lose your hair from it. It's easy enough to remedy... Just be patient, Here is some information and reasonable tips...:meditate:
Possible reasons for dandruff include poor circulation and the overuse of products that dry the scalp. The most common cause is the irregular production of an oily substance, called sebum, by the scalp’s sebaceous glands. More rarely, dandruff is a sign of an infection by the microscopic fungus Pityrosporum. To get rid of dandruff and promote scalp health, try these simple anti-dandruff treatments.
Stimulating shampoo: Steep two cups (500 ml) of boiling water with two tablespoons (30 ml) each of dried sage, thyme and rosemary (all of which have antimicrobial properties) until room temperature. Strain. Combine one-quarter cup (60 ml) of the herbal tea with one-quarter cup (60 ml) of a mild, natural baby shampoo, which is gentle on the scalp. Add 15 drops of eucalyptus and 15 drops of lavender essential oils. Shake well before use.

Herbal rinse: Combine one-half cup (125 ml) of apple cider vinegar with the remaining tea and add 15 to 20 drops each of eucalyptus and lavender. Mix well. After shampooing and rinsing your hair, gently massage one-quarter cup (60 ml) of the rinse into your scalp. Leave on a few minutes before rinsing. Condition as normal.

Nighttime treatment: Every night, rub your scalp with about one tablespoon (15 ml) of the following mixture: one-half cup (125 ml) distilled witch hazel and 15 to 20 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender and rosemary. Repeat until the condition clears up.

It’s also important to nourish the scalp from the inside. The body may be lacking in the essential fatty acids found in nuts, flax seed and evening primrose oil. To counteract an inefficient carbohydrate or fatty-acid metabolism, which can cause dandruff, eat plenty of vitamin B-rich foods, such as eggs and cabbage. Sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes or fresh wheat germ, both excellent sources of B vitamins, onto your breakfast cereals and salads. Hope I could help XOXO

Thanks! I wonder if tea would work... I have a black tea blend with rosemeary, lavender, and sage. And I've read that caffeine is good for hair loss, which I have had a bit of (from something else- I know flakies don't cause hair loss). I try to eat a reasonably healthful diet, and my morning Marmite is chock full of vitamin B, but maybe I could do better.

sibylla
March 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I always carry a little Vaseline jar in my bag. If I see a flakyness I apply a little bit with my fingers and it really helps:).Fishoil tabletts are good for the scalp.Only use cotton near your face and hair.I hope your scalp gets better soon:)

UncommonTart
March 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
After most of a week of oil treatments (jojoba and rose absolute, since rose has always seemed soothing to my skin) and switching back to a heavier conditioner (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, which I'd used before but never on my scalp) my flakies seem to be mostly gone. My hair is slowly getting back to "normal" as well, and hooray for that.

Thanks everybody!

cardamom
May 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I tried CWC (with diluted shampoo) followed by a gentle scalp massage with a drop of coconut oil on the fingertips(a drop or two,not more),while it is still wet, which helps to seal moisture.It works!

EtherealOde
May 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
If it is a fungal condition, try the monistat treatment. If it isn't fungal, then oiling would be your best bet. Really, the easiest way to oil your scalp is to get a small (one-2 ounce size) squeeze bottle with a pointed dropper application tip. Put the oil in that and lightly squeeze thin lines through your hair at the scalp. You don't even need to part the hair with an applicator bottle, the tip does it for you, just run it along your scalp. It should take less than a minute to do your entire scalp. Then massage in with your fingertips for a minute or two to make sure it covers your scalp completely. You can do the same thing with the monistat. Just dilute it a bit with oil and water and apply the same way.

countryhopper
May 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I think it's much easier to oil the scalp upside down.

Rub a little oil on your fingertips, flip your hair over (upside down) and massage oil at the roots and scalp.