PDA

View Full Version : How long would you wait?

coscass
March 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My mind has been made up for a few months now- I want a V hemline cut in sometime soon. My hair is pretty long, 21 inches now (maybe 22 by now, I haven't measured in a while), and I consider it long. Maybe not as long as some of the other people here, but to me, it's long.

And yet... Not long enough. I'm afraid that if I get it cut NOW, it'll be screwed up and I'll loose too much length. For anyone that has a V hemline, or that had one, what is your ideal length to have one? My hair is waist right now (with just a little stretching).

I already decided the longest I want to grow is to hip. After that, I'll keep it waist/hip for a while before I decide if i want to cut and try to grow virgin hair. That's all in the future, though.

myrrhmaiden
March 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
My hair is about 24" at the longest bits and it is in a v-hem from a previous haircut. The one thing that bothers me about it at this length, is that the sides, where the v is shortest, are the parts that fall frontwards over my shoulders. Unless I pull some long stuff forwards, I look like I have collarbone length hair from the front. Grrrrrrr. Don't like that part. I do intend to keep the v though, it just annoys me for now. Once the front bits stay behind my shoulders, I'm sure I'll be much happier.

spidermom
March 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I would advise that you get to goal first. You're going to lose a lot of hair when you get that V-cut, and it's going to feel quite a bit shorter because that's what you will see from the front.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I think we are not measuring the same way if 21 inches equals waist length.

Ursula
March 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
How deep do you want the "V"?

There is quite a difference between a shallow v and a deep one, in terms of hair lost.

You might try doing a shallow V or shallow U shaped hemline, with just a few inches between the edge and the center, to start shaping your hair, and then gradually work towards a deeper V over time. That way, you start towards your desired hemline, and can start enjoying it now, without loosing a lot of length, especially at the sides.

pinchbeck
March 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
How deep do you want the "V"?

There is quite a difference between a shallow v and a deep one, in terms of hair lost.

You might try doing a shallow V or shallow U shaped hemline, with just a few inches between the edge and the center, to start shaping your hair, and then gradually work towards a deeper V over time. That way, you start towards your desired hemline, and can start enjoying it now, without loosing a lot of length, especially at the sides.Great answer! I could not have answered this question better.

xoxophelia
March 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I think you should start with a U hemline and then slowly transition into the V to just make sure it doesn't cut more of an incline than you want. Better to cut less than too much. I have a V but am dying to grow it out! haha guess the grass is greener...

coscass
March 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I think we are not measuring the same way if 21 inches equals waist length. I'm 4'9'', so where my waist is is where most people's... stomach..area...still is.

christine1989
March 13th, 2010, 12:06 AM
You should start with a u hemline and try it out to see if you want to go more extreme and get a v. I eventually want a u hemline but I am waiting until I get to my goal so I wont lose length.

skysraine
March 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I had a deep V cut before I had a perm in high school.. And I remember trully dreading my hair,, Hence the perm to get rid of the look. I remember not being able to keep it looking neat. I was also very hard to see all the loss. Unless you have very thick hair you will see a dramatic difference look in thickness. It took me years to grow it all back out to where it all looked healthy and was the same length.. Your hair is beautiful if maybe you just could take off a few inches strait you may feel a total difference..But please do some research before you V your beautiful hair.. I'm pretty sure there are even reviews.. Google it:) xoxo

BelleBot
March 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I'd advise keep growing it before you opt for a v. Hair usually naturally grows in a V shape eventually as you get quite a bit of taper towards the ends, or so I've always found. So keep growing and your hair might do the job for you. To go from a blunt cut to a V cut will result in quite a bit of loss in thickness which you might regret. If you really want it, do it gradually in stages over the year from a shallow U, to more of a V so you can see how you like the change in hemline gradually.

Sissy
March 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I think you should start with a U hemline and then slowly transition into the V to just make sure it doesn't cut more of an incline than you want. Better to cut less than too much. I have a V but am dying to grow it out! haha guess the grass is greener...

yeah, I think it would be wise to start with a U hemline and then transition to V. I suppose I had sort of a V when I started here and I think it looked awful on me. I'm a fan of blunt hemlines or gentle U shaped.

GlassEyes
March 13th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I think we are not measuring the same way if 21 inches equals waist length.
Different heights are often a factor.

I'm going to be contrary. I say go for the deep-v, simply because I think it looks awesome and I remember the last thread you made about it, and the photo you had up looked cool. Just make VERY VERY sure that the person cutting it knows EXACTLY what you want.

Carolyn
March 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM
You do realize that with a deep V cut you are going to lose the ability to do a nice braid like the one in your avatar? Start out slow with a slight U shape and go from there over time. A shallow U won't hinder your braiding and bunning too much but a deep V will. If you wear your hair down all the time of course that's not an issue.

GlassEyes
March 13th, 2010, 07:57 AM
You do realize that with a deep V cut you are going to lose the ability to do a nice braid like the one in your avatar? Start out slow with a slight U shape and go from there over time. A shallow U won't hinder your braiding and bunning too much but a deep V will. If you wear your hair down all the time of course that's not an issue.

Eh. I disagree. Even with layers, I could still do a nice braid--and my hem has never been blunt. It looks like it's tapered, but beyond that.

girloctopus
March 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I would probably do the shallow U and work my way up to a more dramatic one. I'm scared to do that much change all at once! But that's just me :P I'd probably wait until I hit my goal length though so I could get a handle on how my hair works at that length before I alter the hemline drastically.

coscass
March 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Eh. I disagree. Even with layers, I could still do a nice braid--and my hem has never been blunt. It looks like it's tapered, but beyond that.

I did honestly think of that... But you know, as much as I've learned to love braids and updos and buns, I'd still prefer to wear my hair down everyday, with a headband or something.

But who knows what I'll decide.

I think I'll take your guys' advice and do the U hemline first. One question though- how do I explain this to the person cutting my hair? I asked this woman once, when she was cutting my hair, if she COULD do it, and she asked me what a hemline was. I said never mind, just because I didn't want something put in that I'd regret, you know?

Even if I brought a picture, I just have a feeling something is going to get messed up.