PDA

View Full Version : Pain during scalp massage?

Dimitri'sMom
March 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I did my first SMT today with scalp massage and I have tight, painful areas on my scalp, especially on the crown of my head. Does anyone else experience this? It's almost like I have knots, or areas of adhesion on my head. I know I have a lot of scar tissue from the chicken pox. Does this go away with continued massage?

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Try a more gentil massage. Maybe find those points and hold them or pull them in a direction that they will easily move and hold them there for a little bit. Try not to overdo it or you will simply make them feel bruised. I do think that continued gentle massage will help that out. Try it. If it doesn't work, no harm done.

Sara Smile
March 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
It's not the same thing, but I simply have a very tender head. When I used to go to the salon for a trim, I would frequently wind up bleeding from their scalp massage while shampooing. This is after I asked them to be very gentle. Now I simply don't rub my scalp much (and don't go to the salon anymore).

My suggestion would be to be more gentle with your massage and see if that helps.

Or possibly, you're having an allergic reaction to something in the SMT. Are you using ingredients that you've used before separately? Perhaps it was too moisturizing for your scalp skin and irritated it. See if happens again the next time.

Dimitri'sMom
March 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I think I've always had these painful spots. It definitely wasn't the SMT; that was actually very soothing to my scalp skin. This was more like tight knots on my cranium. I will try a more gentle massage, though, and see if that works.

BrightEyes
March 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
My husband gets tight, painful spots on his head when he has had a stressful day at work. If I give him a gentle scalp massage it seems to loosen the spots and relieve the pain. Sometimes I get them too and I find that gentle pressure seems to help relieve the pain. HTH

Monkey962
March 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Is it what you'd normally call painful? Or is it maybe a little less intense? When I massage my scalp after it hasn't been in awhile, or if I massage my hair opposite in the direction it's been going, it can feel sort of painful, but overall really good.

Lamb
March 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
The scar tissue might well be the reason why you have this pain. Some people also just have a very tender head, I know I do. There is one particular spot on top of my head which gets sore when I am under stress or when the weather changes suddenly. I avoid massaging it too long or too intensely when I wash my hair.

Dimitri'sMom
March 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it's probably the scar tissue and stress; it's definitely not my hair going in a different direction or the scalp skin, it feels like I'm pressing a hot button of fire. I really want to do the massage though because I think it could make my hair look better so I'll just go softer and try to stress less. Yeah, right!

prettydark
March 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
is there any chance you're allergic to latex? People who are allergic to latex usually can't use aloe.

momtofour
March 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
GoddesJourney - LOVE that photo! :)

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
GoddesJourney - LOVE that photo! :)

Thanks! That's my baby.