PDA

View Full Version : Damaged hair?

Snivellus
March 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM
My hair has some split ends but lots and lots of breakage throughout.
On the top of my head are quite a few new virgin hairs with tapered ends. I've found that these newer hairs are usually quite wiry.
I've got fine 2c hair that's on the thicker side.

Here's the kicker: I do nothing to my hair to damage it. I brush it very gently once a day, wash it once a week, and I don't style it in any way. It's usually just in a pony tail.
I don't go out in the sun much, never to the pool, and I'm certainly eating properly enough. I don't think I'm that stressed.
Also, no matter how gentle I am with the brush, I still hear 15-30 little pops as my hair breaks even more.

What am I doing wrong? Why is my hair so fragile? And why are my new hairs growing in so wiry? :confused:

Mutinous
March 12th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Do you dye/bleach your hair? That would cause a little damage. What type of hair tie are you using for your ponytails? The ones with the metal bit on them are known to cause damage.

:)

EvaSimone
March 12th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Your hair might need moisture or protein. Most likely moisture though.

Also you just might have the type of hair that splits and breaks more easily, in that case their isn't a lot to do about it.

BTW here is what I use for when my hair needs moisture:
1/4 cup Vo5 conditioner (cone free)
1/4 cup light coconut milk (I use whole foods 365 brand)
1/4 cup honey (heat the honey for ten seconds so it doesn't lighten your hair unless you want it to)

I get my hair damp and then I slather this mixture all over. Saran wrap my entire head and wrap a towel around my head for heat and one around my neck for drips. I sit with this on for a few hours and my hair always feels great afterwards.

elina333
March 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Seems like you have very fragile hair. Stop with the ponytail and bun it or braid it instead... Ponytails are damaging as the ends rub against each other, your back etc. Also, coconut oil is a great way to protect and moisture your hair! Good luck! :pegasus:

Arctic
March 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Also you might want to try detangling your hair first with wide toothed comb, then brush.
I second the stopping ponytailing: any style you do repeatedly might cause damage.

Nightshade
March 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
There's an article on how to understand and rehabilitate damaged hair in my siggy. Perhaps you'd find that worth a read? :flowers:

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
You have fine hair and perhaps should not be brushing it until it's been combed out, especially if it's wet or damp. Also, much of this is going to be hair that was damaged long ago. Even if you're doing everything right for your hair now, there could be some hair from a couple of years ago that's been snagged or overbrushed or dyed or whatever. I agree about the ponytail comment. The little elastics for ponytails tend to be damaging, especially over time. Also, they don't do much for keeping your hair untangled.

Leena7
March 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I second giving your hair a break from the ponytail. My cousin has very tightly curled AA hair. She used to wear a ponytail every day and when she went to bed. She had a lot of breakage and her hairdresser told her that it was probably because she was constantly wearing her hair in a ponytail. The elastics were causing friction, especially when she slept and this was leading to breakage. The hairdresser told her to change up her hairstyles and that if she must wear a ponytail, make it as loose as possible with a metal-free band. Perhaps you could try this and combine it with some deep conditioning or protein treatments.

spidermom
March 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I agree - ponytails aren't at all protective, and if you tighten it by dividing it and pulling each side outward to make the tie roll closer to the scalp, you are peeling your cuticle and weakening it ever time you do it.

That said, I must confess that I take as good of care of my hair as I can without putting it under glass, and it still splits and gets other kinds of damage. It's not too bad, obviously, but I think most of us have to live with hair that's never going to be perfect.

Joette
March 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I also have fine 2c (with some 3a) hair. I've very nearly eliminated brushing altogether. I've found that a wide toothed comb is just as effective at removing the tangles and my ends stay healthier. That said, of course I still find damage from when I was coloring, etc. And I'm retiring my headbands for a while because I'm positive they're why the wispies around my ears and temples don't grow.

Best of luck!

my2cats1
March 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
It might be time to toss your brush and use only a wide-tooth, seamless comb. How do you wear your hair at night? A ponytail can be damaging then, too -- depends on how you wear it. A few ideas: silk or satin pillowcase, dry hair carefully by gently squeezing with a towel (don't rub or wring it with a towel), make sure you're taking a good multivitamin supplement, deep condition a couple of times a week.

Good luck, and let us know if you see any improvement!

PineappleJello
March 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I think the suggestions of braiding instead of the ponytail and using a comb are the best suggestions. Also making sure your elastics don't have those metal clasps.

starlights
March 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
for damaged hair i think oil works great... my hair was damaged, but i trimmed it short (to get rid of the unhealthys) which took my hair to SL , then i oiled every other day from there... and its been healthy since. I think to grow healthy start healthy

Anlbe
March 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
When I was a teenager with virgin hair I used to put it up in a pony tail for 20mins every morning with a silk scrunchie, and that was enough to cause damage through the whole length. `Some of us just have very brittle hair and can't do elastic.

Juliannaissance
March 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Maybe you could cut down on brushing daily, especially if you hear your hair popping. If you use a regular brush with rounded tips, instead try a boar bristle brush. :)

Sweetness
March 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Do you trim regularly ? You could try combing gently (with wood or bone comb), braiding, and trimming on a regular basis :)

Could it also be your nutrition ?

Rhiannon7
March 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I agree, stop using ponytails, maybe change to buns or braids, and use scrunchies instead. specially the ones that are wrapped with some cloth, they are kinder to hair and the repeated use of ponytails can cause damage also. also try an SMT, it will help with any moisture lack you have and if you still need to, get a protein treatment. also try and comb your hair instead of brushing, curly haired people should rarely brush, makes hair poofy. but can you tell us what brush you use? what products? your routine?

Snivellus
March 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, thanks so much everyone!
So sorry for not replying sooner, I didn't expect so much help. :D

A few more details:
-I use a soft, thick, cloth band without metal.
-I don't use chemicals or heat.
-I sleep with my hair down and wear it down half the time.
-I brush it once a day from the bottom up.
-I mostly use Garnier Fructis. I wash once to twice a week.
Recently I've used "So Sexy" from Victoria's Secret (Christmas Present) and a generic anti-dandruff conditioner. I also use Sunsilk leave in conditioner often.

I think the damage at the ends is old damage. I started lurking this site about a year ago I think, so my hair has gradually gotten quite a bit better. I still have new breakage and weird wiry hairs though.

So far the best advice is getting a different brush, braiding, and a protein treatment.
The whole seams on the bristle thing really blew my mind. I don't like to comb because I think it damages my hair just as much if not more. No matter how gentle I am with the comb, it tends to get stuck on the knots and worsen them by making them tighter, if that makes sense.
Are metal brushes bad? :/

Again, thanks for everything everyone, I really do appreciate it. :)

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Definitely agree with ditching the ponytail. Other than your diet, are you possibly taking any medication that can be causing this? The coconut oil suggestion is very good (use almond oil if you can't find coconut).
My best to you!