PDA

View Full Version : Styling dust - damaging?

elina333
March 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I have given up everything that is damaging to my hair. Curling irons, flat iron, hairdryer and almost all of my beloved products ;) I only use cocnut oil nowadays (and schampoo and in-shower treatments with cones).

The only thing I cant give up is my styling dust, but I only use it when I go out to parties and such (also known as wax powder or styling powder). I use the Schwarzkopf Osis Dust It. Its silica powder that gives hair amazing volume and great texture. But it also makes it matt and you cant run your fingers through it since its sooo dense and "chalky". It feels like it shoud be really damaging to hair but Im not sure... And this is all I use nowadays when going out partying and I really dont want to give it up!

It has to be less damaging than heat, right? :hmm: Anyone who uses it and can give some feedback?

TIA! :cheese:

Calista
March 12th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Everything is less damaging than heat.

Well, except a perm and scissors. ;)

Monkey962
March 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I haven't used anything like that, since I don't use much more than combs and oil. However it seems to me that if it's just silica powder that sits on top of the individual hairs themselves, and doesn't get absorbed, I don't see how it could possibly be damaging.

BrightEyes
March 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have something similar from Lanza, and I love it. I sprinkle it on my roots and work it in and I get some good volume. I use it fairly regularly and haven't noticed any damage. That's good because my hair is so flat without some help.:D

deviantkitten
March 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I use a dry shampoo spray that is clay based. I kind of get the same thing. It gets really matte and you can't run your fingers through it. It is due to the clay. I only use it if I am going out and am insistent on wearing my hair down or in a half up and I still have a little while before my next wash day. What you are experiencing is just residue from the powder. i don't think it will damage your hair

tokidokichi
March 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I use Dust It too and I noticed that if I try to comb through my hair where the Dust It is, some of my hair breaks off because its so matted in there. Thats the only thing that I think could cause dammage, so just avoid combing that area and you should be fine. =]

spidermom
March 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Never heard of this stuff; I'm really out of touch.

ravenreed
March 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I just tried a volumizer that has silica in it. I tried it for three times and then had a really bad shed, which scared me. I lost about three week's worth of shed hair in one go. I am not sure if it is related, so I might try it one more time.

Anje
March 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I haven't heard of the stuff before, but I imagine it's less damaging than bleaching, perming, or heat. (Personally, great texture seems to run opposite to causing hair to mat, but that's a personal preference.)

It strikes me that it could be drying, so you might want to make sure you treat your hair with plenty of moisture the rest of the time, particularly after using it.

Also, if it makes hair mat a bit and makes it hard to run your fingers through or comb, I would highly recommend that you wash it out before even attempting to detangle. Just like you should with hairspray. I don't know if it requires shampoo to remove, but I probably would err on the side of shampooing to make sure it all comes out, rather than rinsing or CO. Then condition and detangle gently, either when your hair is loaded with conditioner or when it's dry, whatever works best for you.

elina333
March 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I use Dust It too and I noticed that if I try to comb through my hair where the Dust It is, some of my hair breaks off because its so matted in there. Thats the only thing that I think could cause dammage, so just avoid combing that area and you should be fine. =]

Yes thats my thought as well... But I worry that when I sleep on it, or even when just wearing it loose, it will break off..? But since its the only thing Im using that could be damaging, I guess I'll be fine :pray: