PDA

View Full Version : I'm Shedding

LittleOrca
March 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM
So as a result of the surgery I had in December, I am starting to shed. So far the shedding, while larger than normal for me, is still within the normal amount for the average person per day. I try to remember that my shed is still "normal," that and long hairs that are shed often look like 2x-3x as many hairs than they really are.

I am still miffed about it though. Hopefully it will not be extensive since I have boosted my hair vitamins, biotin, and protein over the last three months in preparation for and to compensate for this event.

Here's hoping that it wont be too much of a shed. :beerchug:

jivete
March 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hang in there. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Dientje
March 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Keep up the positive thoughts! I'll also send lots of positive - do not shed too much - thoughts your way, hopefully your careful preparation will pay off...

cardamom
March 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Littleorca,As you know some shedding is normal few weeks after any stress -physical,emotional or whatever.Isn't that a sign of organs working in harmony?:)

I had a major shedding after my caesarian too. Its growing back and I can see a definite layer at my chin level.Don't think about it and count fallen hairs(I did that),which will worsen the scenario.Have your vitamins and proteins,hydrate yourself well.:)

clichepithet
March 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Here, here! :flower: Don't think of it as shedding! Think of it as dusting the world with beautiful little pieces of you! :D That may have sounded better in my head... *hugs*

LittleOrca
March 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the support all. :)

And clichepithet... lol :D Things always sound better in our head.

xoxophelia
March 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I was ill for about 8 months not too long ago resulting in a 3 week hospital stay.. and let me tell you, my hair got.. thin O.O... And if you look at my older pics (natural hair color), my hair is obviously on the thick side.

It is still thinner than it normally would be, but I can visually see it growing back out and there has been a huge difference.

So, if you do shed more than you would like to, it does tend to come back. You would notice other things though if it were to get really bad. Like, in my case, my nails became see through and clear.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 12:27 AM
You're okay. Mermaid hair doesn't fall out or it would clog the drains in the pool, right? :D

elina333
March 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
You'll be ok! Its very normal to shed after stressful periods in ones life. So just keep that positive attitude and hold your head up high! :D You still have gorgeous hair :flower:

ravenreed
March 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I am sorry you are experiencing this. I only had three major sheds in my life... two were postpartum and one was a side effect of a medication I was taking. It is never easy! I hope you get fast regrowth.

jera
March 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
LittleOrca, you sound calm, prepared and in control. That's good. I hope your shedding will be be of short duration. Hugs. :)

myrrhmaiden
March 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Don't worry, it's only temporary. :hugs:

gmdiaz
March 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
That was super smart of you to prepare for the after surgery shed! That will help your hair a lot!

The good thing is that you know it will grow back soon and be as it was. . .it's not forever.

It surprises me HOW much your hair can and does change from day to day, month to month, year to year. . .recording the chemistry that bounces us around through life!

Buy a new hair toy, you'll feel better. lolol

linda g
March 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
:grouphug:

kevala
March 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I've been through shedding during an illness, and was surprised by how fast my hair was able to recover once I got healthy. It sounds like you've taken precautions and aren't experiencing severe loss...I hope you experience a speedy return to your usual full, thick hair!

ladycatpurrs
March 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hey Girl! I am glad you are doing well and even though you knew you were going to shed, it still stinks bad that you are going through it. I do understand. I lost my home to a fire and then my dad died and as a result of that I lost HALF my ponytail--didn't notice until months later, of course. Very sad (for all of that but we are talking hair now) but it seemed that my replacement hair came back in double time, quick growth. And that was without the preparation you have done so I am sure that any of those lovely hairs coming out now will be replaced by fast growing beauties. Think of it as getting NEW HAIR! :)

girloctopus
March 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
It sounds like you were prepared for it, but it still is hard to deal with. Once everything regulates itself back, it'll gain back its volume in no time :)

curlylocks85
March 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
You'll be ok! Its very normal to shed after stressful periods in ones life. So just keep that positive attitude and hold your head up high! :D You still have gorgeous hair :flower:

I second this! :blossom:

kwaniesiam
March 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Your body will adjust in time, hang in there until that happens and good luck :flowers:

Anje
March 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hugs. I'm sorry you're shedding, even though it's not a surprising outcome from all this.

Don't give up hope. Given that you're a iii, I wouldn't be surprised if you have considerably more leeway for shedding above-normal rates without your hair getting particularly thin. It's only a temporary sacrifice, and hopefully the supplements and steps you've taken to minimize the hair loss will be helpful in keeping this mercifully short and mild.

SpinningCarrie
March 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Mine shed after the birth of my children, and then recently after I lost 40 pounds. It certainly is a shock! With my last shed I was asking everyone to make sure that the thinning wasn't creating any bald spots. I think my mom was ready to beat me by the time I calmed down.

spidermom
March 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Tricky way to get rid of those two-tone hairs that were bothering you so much some months ago, LittleOrca.