PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels thicker 6 days after washing? what's up? (a bit long.)

Rhiannon7
March 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi, i have been wondering something for about 1year (since i started to extend washes to once a week. ) I wash and for about 4-5 days the hair is soft and shiny, very manegable (meaning thinner, not as thick.) but suddenly on day 6-10 after washing my hair becomes thicker, and i can not use my BBB to detangle, have to use my wood comb, because the BBB does not penetrate to the scalp. is it normal?

A little of my routine.

I wash with Suave Vanilla Floral poo.
Condition with either Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship, Pantene Deep Moisture/Repair Treatment or TresEmme Deep Moisturizing/Thermal Recovery conditioners.
I wet comb to detangle hair. apply a quarter sized glob of Shea Butter and Almond Oil mix. Air dry.
During the week i braid every night for sleep, do a braided bun or a regular bun for work.
At night i apply a nickel sized glob of Pantene Restoring/Repair leave in treatment to last 5 inches of hair and braid.
2 times a month. I apply Sun Silk S.O.S. Reconstruction leave in treatment to dry hair from ears to ends and braid.
I do SMT's whenever my hair needs it. (sometimes 2 times a month, sometimes once a month.)
And just did my first catnip rinse a week ago.

I've been noticing this thickening of hair since i started extending washes to more than 7 days. because sometimes i just don't feel like washing my hair and can go for up to 10-12 days without washing.

The hair feels more tangled, less manegable and thicker and have wondered if anyone else has this issue and how you magane it? I normally just brush with my BBB and then use my wood comb to detangle what the brush did not get. (my hair tends to tangle alot near the scalp, top/back of my head.) I don't use a silk/satin pillow case cuz have not been able to make one and i do toss and turn alot.

So is it normal? or is it because i go for so long without washing hair? or is it the Sun Silk reconstruction leave in that makes my hair feel thicker? I did apply the sun silk leave in 2 nights ago and since then the hair has been feeling thicker. but it also happens when i do not use the reconstruction leave in treatment. so what's up with my hair?

cardamom
March 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I fear it is build -up.Why don't you try a clarifying poo followed by SMT/ deep conditioning?I hope it works!:)

deviantkitten
March 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I THINK what's making your fair feel thicker is that your hair shafts are absorbing the sebum your scalp has produced after so many days of not being washed, thus plumping them up a bit? Maybe?
I am extending time between washes to. I am at every 4-5 days now. It does get a little less manageable, letting me know when it needs to be oiled overnight, then WC, and when my hair is super duper oily, like when I have gone a week or so without a wash, it can feel a little thicker. I always thought it was from sebum absorption.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM
It sounds like a build up of oil residues and cones from the Pantene leave-in. You might be overdoing it on the products for someone who is stretching washes that far. Also, BBB doesn't go through oil very well when it's heavy. Those bristles are pretty flimsy. They don't go through my hair at all, ever.

Gumball
March 12th, 2010, 12:35 AM
It does sound like something has built up a little bit if it is literally thicker if not simply feeling thicker. There can definitely be a difference between those concepts. Also remember during the "no wash" days you can get oils that build up, stuff floating in the air can catch on and built up, etc.

As for the BBB those are meant for oil distribution and are not at all meant for untangling hair. They aren't used in the same way that a standard brush is used due to the makeup of the bristles. BBB works more for the outermost layer(s) of the hair if anything.

countryhopper
March 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I have this, too, but I'm not using 'poo.

My routine:
Sunday night: wash with diluted baking soda, rinse with tea
Tuesday or Wednesday: use cornstarch to soak up the greasies
Thursday night: wash with same as Sunday

I don't think it's product buildup, because I don't USE any products, and the baking soda clarifies twice a week.

My guess is that it is sebum. And, in my case, sebum mixed with cornstarch! The cornstarch DOES make my fine hair feel much thicker, though!

When your hair feels thick and heavy, try braiding or bunning-- it'll hold a lot better than right after washing!

Juliannaissance
March 12th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I think it might be the fact that you've had your hair unwashed with oil for a few days. The oil makes it smoother, and silkier, so it's manageable..I've noticed that when i wash it feels thicker because of frizz, i don't know if you get that as well..

Rhiannon7
March 12th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Thank you all for the help. I do think it's a mix of all the above, Sebum buildup, product buildup and just taking longer to wash plus yes, i normally should not try to detangle with my BBB but if i don't i feel the hair tear more than when i do detangle a bit with BBB before using the wood comb.

I do not know why it would be buildup from pantene if i only use it once every 3 washes. and this last time i used H.E. Long term relationship poo and condish. i normally use Suave poo, but wanted to try the H.E. long term relationship poo.

I've always believed that the Suave poo was doing the same thing as the clarifying poo, take most of the build up from the products out of my hair, but maybe i should buy a clarifying poo. don't like the suave clarifying poo too much, too harsh on my delicate hair and it tends to tangle more when i do use it. (threw the last bottle out after only 2 washes 5 weeks apart, because my hair was so tangled and dry. ) so switched to Suave vanilla floral poo, which usually cleans very well. but maybe i should buy it again and see how it responds. i have tried using baking soda for clarifying but i could never get the baking soda out of my hair after, i also tried ACV, (well actually Raspberry vinegar.) hair was happy for a few weeks then got all nasty. so i have gone back to S&C. tried CO but hair was a mess, flyaway and tangled and so dry and ugly, no shine, nothing nice. (hair did like it for a few months, then my CO condish changed formula and hair became nasty.) tried CO with other condish but nothing worked. so went back to Poo and Condish.

I've actually tried it all, and only thing that makes my hair happy is S&C with leave ins and Shea Butter/Almond oil. so i give it what it wants.

Will wash more often, at least once a week, (every 7 days.) hair should be ok then. i mean it's not so bad now, just feels alot thicker. like when you put sand or sugar or flour in your damp hair and it dries and it feels so tangled and thick. that's how it feels. just weird and different and yes i always keep my hair braided or bunned.

Well thank you all again for the help, comments and ideas.
Must go to bed and sleep, got to work early and need to sleep at least 6 hours. see you all here later tomorrow/today.

countryhopper
March 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM
i have tried using baking soda for clarifying but i could never get the baking soda out of my hair after, i also tried ACV, (well actually Raspberry vinegar.) hair was happy for a few weeks then got all nasty.

Really? Did you use the baking soda dry or in a paste in your hair? That could do it. I always dillute about 1 tablespoon or less in a cup of warm water and apply to my scalp only. Actually, i have one of those bottles with the pointed nozzle, like a hair color applicator bottle, so I can reach the roots easier. I can't even see/feel the baking soda in the water, although as I massage it through my scalp it feels slippery.

I find it strange you can't get the baking soda out...?

And, yes, I can't use vinegar on my hair, either. Makes it feel limp and greasy. That's why I use the tea; you must always follow up a BS wash with an acidic rinse. It helps the scalp to return to it's natural ph and close the cuticle. Also keeps the hair from feeling "dried out" from the baking soda.

Sara Smile
March 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've stretched my washes now to 7-9 days (I don't like washing my hair and put it off longer than I probably should). The top of my hair does seem to get thicker as the week goes on, making the ends look even thinner by contrast. I think it's sebum (although my sebum production has declined alot). I keep telling myself to move up to washing every 5 or 6 days, and then I forget. I'lll try to remember.

Rhiannon7
March 12th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I was told to use the baking soda dry, just sprinkle on my hair and well i did, but then i tried to wash it out it was over an hour and half a bottle of poo before i could get most of it out. had to wash with detergent to get the entire mess out of my hair.

Might think about using just a teaspoon of baking soda in 1 big 2 litre bottle of water. would that be enough water or should i use less? plus do you use the baking soda from the fridge? or a special baking soda from the herbal store?

Thanks for all the comments and help.

countryhopper
March 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I was told to use the baking soda dry, just sprinkle on my hair and well i did, but then i tried to wash it out it was over an hour and half a bottle of poo before i could get most of it out. had to wash with detergent to get the entire mess out of my hair.

Might think about using just a teaspoon of baking soda in 1 big 2 litre bottle of water. would that be enough water or should i use less? plus do you use the baking soda from the fridge? or a special baking soda from the herbal store?

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Ah. Here's the problem :)

i don't think you need so much water. try using the teaspoon or even two teaspoons of baking soda in warm water, maybe half a liter of water. Use this to wet your scalp and massage in. The rest will run down the length and you don't need to work it in. It's fine. But remember to rinse with plain water, then use an acidic rinse (diluted vinegar, either white or ACV, or tea which is my favorite, or lemon juice). Just a splash of something acidic in water and apply that to scalp and length, massage in the scalp and rinse with plain water. That's it!

If you have hard water, boil some water, then add the baking soda to it. It will disolve this way. If you have normal water, just use regular shower water and it will disolve just fine.

Don't be tempted to use too much baking soda; it'll be too drying. you'll have to play with the amounts to find what works best for your hair.

And yes, just use plain 'ol baking soda. the stuff out of the fridge. Doesn't even need to be fresh. You can even take extra dry baking soda in the shower with you and scrub your shower with it while you're in there :p