PDA

View Full Version : Hidden styles

Vijikanth
March 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Was wondering if you people enjoy any particular style that you dont like or want others see it. Being a male, I'm not able to wear my hair in many of the styles outside. But in my room, I usually wear a sing braid or bun. Is that the same for ladies too..

habioku
March 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry... fail post

restourceful
March 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Other than the occasional very messy or really goofy thing I do just for fun at home, I don't think there's any style I wouldn't want someone else to see. I don't want anyone except DH to see me in curlers, though.:cool:

GoddesJourney
March 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty shameless. But I doubt DH would like to walk around with me in an upside down French braid or some of the other funky things I play around with (like double meat balls).

Peter
March 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
A bun!

I still can't do it well enough to be comfortable going out with it.

myrrhmaiden
March 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I don't like wearing up-dos anywhere but at home. When I venture into public I wear it loose, or a half up. I have never felt comfortable with a "naked face."

spidermom
March 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
At home I divide my hair into 2 more or less equal sections and tie a square knot, then spear into place with a pencil, fork, or stick. I don't wear it out of the house because it doesn't stay in very well, otherwise I'd wear it outside of the house, too.

goodenough
March 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I look gross in pincurls, and I really don't even like my kids to see me that way-lol. When my hair was longer, I would put it in two high buns so it would be wavy when I went out at night. I wouldn't share that style with the world--just because it doesn't go with my personality. I like it on some people.

JenniferNoel
March 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Sloppy pigtail braids.
Comfortable and quick, but... not really "me". I love them on other people though!

Cinnamon Hair
March 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
My sleep cap. Secretely, I love it. If it was invisible I would wear it all the time. So comfy!
A turbie twist is nice after showers too. On weekends I lounge around in it for a couple hours, until it gives me a chill.

YesitsReal
March 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm getting to the point that no one besides myself, my roommate, and my boyfriend see me with my hair down. I kind of like it like that. DBF likes it down, so I feel like I'm keeping it just for him. :D

MissMandyElizab
March 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Braided pig tails ......only at home at nights but i wish i had the balls to have them out side

Ven
March 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I will use tiny little claw clips and divide my bangs in half and clip them into place right at my hair line like a pair of ears... :o

~Ven

melusine
March 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I usually avoid leaving the house with a simple braid or a simple ponytail but I do wear those a lot at home for comfort.

deviantkitten
March 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The only styles that I don't like to wear out of the house, or really never wear at all, are a ponytail, or a ponied braid. When all my hair is pulled back and forced into a pony, it makes me feel really exposed and vulnerable because I have a round face and all you see is FACE LOL. Buns and updos are fine, but I like a little bit of softness and fullness around my face that I don't get when I pony my hair

trolleypup
March 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Given that I've worn a sleep cap out in public, as well as a paint sock...there isn't much I wouldn't wear. Certainly nothing that would be considered gender inappropriate in other places. I might avoid something ugly...but I've done that too...usually when I am doing something dirty/dusty in the house and need to go out and run to the hardware store or something.

My standard public style is a bun.

Juliannaissance
March 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I don't like wearing up-dos anywhere but at home. When I venture into public I wear it loose, or a half up. I have never felt comfortable with a "naked face."
Me neither!:D

Gumball
March 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Most of the time I'll wear out what I'd wear at home. Heck you name a style in my album that I've worn then I've worn it outside somewhere, sans the two high braided buns. That is nearing my threshold. :lol:

sneakybea
March 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM
It's not that I won't wear it outside the house, but I don't like to wear a single braid in public, because that's my bedtime hairstyle, and it feels like wearing my pajamas in public. And when I try to use my hairagamis, because my hair is so long and my arms aren't, the buns I create are often much higher on my head than looks good to me. So I usually redo them or take my hair down before going out.
Other than that, and the hairstyles that sometimes don't feel stable, I'm pretty fearless about what hairstyles I'll let others see me in.

gmdiaz
March 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't. . couldn't. . .wear my sleep cap out in public. . .it's bad enough to endure the snickers, outright laughter and abuse I get just wearing it at home.

Otherwise, no hairstyle would be off limits to wear out. . .I can get away with a lot. lol

trolleypup
March 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't. . couldn't. . .wear my sleep cap out in public. . .it's bad enough to endure the snickers, outright laughter and abuse I get just wearing it at home.

Otherwise, no hairstyle would be off limits to wear out. . .I can get away with a lot. lol
Heh. I do it in context...sleep cap in grubby clothes all covered in sawdust or plaster dust.

Calista
March 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I do not wear my hair in anything but a bun variation outside my personal comfort zone. Hair down is something that only those very near and dear to me get to see.

Fethenwen
March 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think single braids look awesome on guys!

Hmm, well my sleeping knot on top of my head is really something I would not show in public :P

yellowchariot
March 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Was wondering if you people enjoy any particular style that you dont like or want others see it. Being a male, I'm not able to wear my hair in many of the styles outside. But in my room, I usually wear a sing braid or bun. Is that the same for ladies too..

Tucked under braids are the best way to keep all of my hair out of the way while I'm doing anything around the house. Also banded ponytail-buns coiled around the neck are excellent as well. :thumbsup:

Side Note: Has anyone else noticed, or is it just me, that when men wear a suit and tie, they can just about get by with any updo/bun or braid style?! It almost totally changes the appearance of the hairstyle itself into a formal serious/business occasion, as in "don't laugh at that guy's hair-do, he could pull out a gun and kill you!" :cool: :draw:

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Side Note: Has anyone else noticed, or is it just me, that when men wear a suit and tie, they can just about get by with any updo/bun or braid style?! It almost totally changes the appearance of the hairstyle itself into a formal serious/business occasion, as in "don't laugh at that guy's hair-do, he could pull out a gun and kill you!" :cool: :draw:

When I see a good-looking guy in a suit, it doesn't have that "he could kill me" effect. It just makes me melt. ;) But I agree that when a man dresses in a formal way, his hair would look good in a braid. Probably much better in a braid than loose.

restourceful
March 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM

I, too, don't think "that guy could kill you." But I do love to see a man well dressed and fabulously groomed with his hair in a pony or some other updo. It looks very professional, to me. But then I also really love seeing my DH well dressed and fabulously groomed with his clean shaven head. He makes my heart go pitter patter! :love:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
ponytail.

During my high school years, i wasted the beauty of my waist-length hair by wearing it in a ponytail. Although i always wear it at home, i'll NEVER wear it out again, unless it's polished and sleek.

kevala
March 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
When I'm out, I usually need to have a fairly polished, professional look. So, I tend to avoid casual styles like plain braids, ponytails, or pigtails. Outdoors, I usually wear a bun or keep my hair down, or do a slightly fancier updo.

I think it's harder for men. My ex had very handsome dark and curly hair, and he wore hairpins, clips, and braids at home but usually felt uncomfortable wearing them out.

myotislucifugus
March 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'm shameless. I don't have anything I wear around the house that I wouldn't wear in public.

Of course, new styles that don't stay up is something else. It isn't embarrassment that stops me, it's the irritation of constantly fixing the style.

Vijikanth
March 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I agree with Yellow chariot on that. Long hair with a very good sense of dress looks awesome on men. Be it a braid or bun or any updo too. The guy can just go stealing the show. If the dress is not perfect, no matter whatever you do with your hair, it looks shaggy. and Dull. Dress and confidence in you helps overcome the problem men with long hair face in this world..

linda g
March 12th, 2010, 04:44 PM
High pigtails. (think little girl)
Asymmetrical ponytail (think the 80's)

BrightEyes7
March 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
With my hair all greased up and put in a cinnabun on the very top of my head... :D

Peter
March 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Braided pig tails ......only at home at nights but i wish i had the balls to have them out side
I've worn them a few times and gotten some funny reactions. :D

david
March 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Being a guy I just couldn't gather the courage to wear plaited/braided pigtails outside. Although I do have a very I'll do what I want attitude to hairstyles and generally wear it how I like. But I just cant bring myself to wear plaited pigtails. :lol:

I have to agree with those above who said about guys in suits with their hair styled well. Even though I very rarely wear a suit I tend to wear my hair in a single plait, half up or ponytail held with a plain barrette.

Calista
March 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Being a guy I just couldn't gather the courage to wear plaited/braided pigtails outside. Although I do have a very I'll do what I want attitude to hairstyles and generally wear it how I like. But I just cant bring myself to wear plaited pigtails. :lol:

Although no one would ever think that he (http://harveywallbanger99.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/willie_nelson.jpg) doesn´t look manly. :crush:

Wicked Princess
March 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I think any hair style that I would wear at home I would wear out as well.

My "around the house" wear isn't so much a hairstyle as much it is hair accessories! I use a really large, chunky, plain plastic jaw clip at home. I have worn it out in public before, but only if it's part of a hairstyle designed around it, or if I decorated it with beads that day. I also have a left over, single chopstick that I will sometimes stick in my hair if I'm doing house/yard work. I'd never wear it out in public! I also have this fluffy pink scrunchie that, admittedly, I almost never use any more but sometimes, I just choose a high bun for sleeping in rather than a sleep cap and I use it to secure said high bun.

And...of course...my sleep cap, heh. :o

FrannyG
March 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM

I have to agree with those above who said about guys in suits with their hair styled well. Even though I very rarely wear a suit I tend to wear my hair in a single plait, half up or ponytail held with a plain barrette.

Double braids never hurt Willie Nelson. Just sayin' :shrug:

embee
March 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I never wear my hair loose/down in public, and seldom at home either - it drives me nuts floating around and tickling my face and getting caught in my glasses and food! ;) Also tangles terribly.

My bed-time topknot does not go out in public, don't think it's flattering at all, but it is comfy for sleeping. Perhaps I'll get over that some day, and wear it - better with a scrunchie for me, as the topknot itself is pitifully small, it just looks like a little knob on top. ;) It does work well with my gardening straw hat, though!

Guys in suits look fine when they're wearing their hair in a low bun or tight braid down the back. The only danger is the fuzzy braid problem that often show up after about an hour. That will detract badly from the look. To me, wearing long hair loose with a suit is very strange - it just looks messy. Maybe it's the people I've seen doing that?

GlassEyes
March 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
French twists.

They're so easy, yet i can't seem to get myself to wear them out. xD; Beyond that, I'm pretty fine with most styles.

david
March 13th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Double braids never hurt Willie Nelson. Just sayin' :shrug:

:laugh: yeah I forgot about the Willie Nelson thing. I just cant get the confidence to wear them though.

intothemist1999
March 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
It was LOOONG time before I was comfortable out 'n about wearing a bun. However, as my hair has got longer I *have* to wear it up for work...or cut ALOT it shorter, which I don't want to do. "Half-ups" and ponytails for work were my first baby steps to hair away from my face.

Was just scrolling up and what JenniferNoel said reminded me...pigtails. I wear them at home in the warm weather, loose or braided, but I think I'd be judged for wearing them out (here, in the burbs, anyway, and definitely at work) at my age and with my "style" -- or lack of it. Out in public I could probably get over that. :D

flutterbudget
March 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
There's this thing I do when I'm doing a deep treatment or something of that sort. I grab the middle of the lenght and twist it up so the ends are twisted up with the base and leave a big open loop right on the top of my head. Dunno if I've really described that so you can picture it very well... Then I clip the giant loop to my head with claw clips. Usually topped by plastic of some sort. I actually almost thought about going out like that to pick DH up from work the other day. I wasn't going to get out of the car or anything... But then I just couldn't do it. ;)

nowxisxforever
March 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM

I think braids look very good on guys, even pigtail braids! :)

Twil
March 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I have these long colorful scarves that I wear at night, when I'm chilling at home, or doing a DT. They're so pretty! I wouldn't like to wear them outside though, I always think people will tell me I forgot to do my hair this morning

PrliamntofRooks
March 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM
for me it's double-anything... pig-tails--high or low, double braids, double buns. I have a round face and double chin, so those styles just don't seem appealing to me (however I don't think they look bad on OTHER women/men with round faces...go figure!)

chelssix
March 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
The loveliest hair accessory on this earth- my bedtime scrunchie, that I made by cutting off the bottom of a lime green tanktop.

The world will never see it. NEVER.

stuntpeople
May 30th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I used to do pigtails indoors only (pretty sure lots of guys do this) but I finally up and went out with them. It's just more practical since I don't want to have to straighten out the kinks when I do go out, and if you wear em with confidence then people won't bother giving their opinions. I do braided or unbraided depending on mood, and I keep em low. :D They're good for working out too if your hair's not long enough for a ponytail.

Arctic_Mama
May 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
When I see a good-looking guy in a suit, it doesn't have that "he could kill me" effect. It just makes me melt. ;) But I agree that when a man dresses in a formal way, his hair would look good in a braid. Probably much better in a braid than loose.

Mmmm, there is always a place for a well-suited man around me! I wish I could get my husband to dress up more often :p

Arctic_Mama
May 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
As for hairstyles, about the only one I can think of thy I wouldn't wear out is high unbraided pigtails, but that a because it looks really young on me, and kind of... ******y? Its just too schoolgirl for me to wear out, not to mention I generally avoid styles anchored by a hairtie.

naereid
May 30th, 2010, 02:08 AM
A brown claw clip is my home style. It's comfy, but I'd never wear it outside! So uncool! :laugh:
Also, my bee-butt bun makes nice waves, but unfortunately looks like something that, well, came out of a butt. :grnbiggri

LittleOrca
May 30th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I wear my hair in my tail socks when I am at home, but don't wear them out in public in them unless they are in a bun as well, but I am not sure if that counts. :)

Sunsailing
May 30th, 2010, 03:49 AM
The only way I wear my hair out in public is in a ponytail.

Part of that is me, but it has a lot to do with my wife. That seems to be the only acceptable style for her. She puts up with me having it long, so I'll compromise in how I wear it out.
She doesn't even like it when I wear it up some other way at home (sloppy bun, etc.). She used to ask me not to do it, but I think I've worn her down a little ;-)

I'd like to learn how to do a real bun to wear out formally (weddings, etc.) when I'm in a coat and tie.
I'd like to wear it down sometimes in public, but I don't have the confidence to do it (and I don't want to go against my wife's wishes).
I wish my wife was more supportive, but I love her anyways!

gretss
May 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I like trying out funny-childish looking styles at home, and they're my hidden styles. I won't go out with anime buns, "bjork hair" and similar styles, although I like wearing them at home. I let my husband and some friends see me in my hidden styles:p

joiekimochi
May 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I will never leave the house in the messy, lumpy top-knot bun I sometimes wear to sleep. It looks too crazy-Britney for me!

Although sometimes I will annoy my mother with that hairstyle. I will pull everything into a bun right at the top of my head, play the song from The King and I where all the royal Thai children parade to meet Anna, and then walk in and out of my mom's room pretending to be different Thai princes/princesses.

Capybara
May 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
A topknot, too for me :p

And, I did mini braids a few weeks back (inspired by some threads here), and did not wear my hair down after I took them out (gigantic POOF!). Other than that...I can't really think of anything else.

Speckla
May 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Double buns. I've only worn them once to work and got called Minnie Mouse. The teasing was annoying and I'd rather avoid that.

swivelhop
August 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Interesting... so that's what everyone's hair is doing behind closed doors. Alone my hair is usually in a topknot about two inches from my hairline. I'll take it down or move it to go outside. I think I am a closet Sikh.

twilight_faerie
August 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I often wear my hair down around the house, but I seldom wear it down out of the house because I have a really stubborn slight wave that's kind of ugly when my hair's down. Also, nape ponytails. I wear them around the house a lot because they're quick and easy and keep my hair out of my face, but they don't look good on me.

Synthemesc
August 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
There isn't much at all I won't be seen in, might as well go crazy with it while I'm young and stupid. Don't think my bee-butt bun wave making fiasco is fit for human consumption, bit too Bjork-y. :D

Sagi1982
September 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I wear heidi braids (Gretchenzöpfe) only at home... they look so ...German (not the nice way! :demon:) on my head.

Johanna
September 5th, 2010, 02:07 AM
If I'm home all day i just leave it in my messy sleep braid. That way I'm not fiddling with it too much. Otherwise I like to wear rag curls around the house :D

TeddyK
September 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
When I go out it is always in a ponytail and usually is at home as well, but sometimes when I am trying to fix something etc. now that it is actually getting long I use a big claw clip thing to pin my ponytail up so it doesnt go flopping around in my face.

Tiina
September 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I will never wear pigtails, braided or not, when I am out with my husband. We already get strange looks (older man with a young, foreign woman) and wearing a style many people associate with children makes me uncomfortable. At home, or if I am out without DH, I love to wear pigtails of every kind.

Also, I will never let anyone at all see me with a claw clip. Not owning any makes it very easy. :p