PDA

View Full Version : Can't Wear My Hair Up :(

Aerith
March 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hey everybody,

I have a bit of a problem... ever since I can remember, my head got sore when I wore my hair up, even in a simple pony tail when it was only shoulder blade length. I don't think my hair likes to be pulled back. The only ways I can wear it are pulled in a simple low ponytail, and I can braid it too. Sometimes if I separate the low ponytail into pigtails it hurts too! :(

I'm not sure what to do, I want to try some of the buns and braids here, but ever since I can remember pulling my hair back has hurt. I tried JJJ's Pretzel bun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSCHnzYtM8 and when I got it to stay in it hurt my head after ten minutes and gave me a migraine because of the weight of the claw clips. When I got it not to hurt after 10 minutes it fell out. :(

I do remember at prom though, when my hair was about waist length it was all put up on top of my head in curls and braids. The hairdresser did a fantastic job and it didn't hurt at all, I think I just stink at doing my own updos to the point of it hurting, I don't know lol!

Is there anything I can do/any styles I can try that might not hurt my head? My hair is between tailbone and classic length (I'm excited for classic! :) )

IndigoAsh
March 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have the same issue and when I do buns I do a 3 part bun. I part it diagonal up the front and than part the hair from ear to ear. The back part I put into a bun and than wrap the side parts around the bun I made in the back of my head. I have photos of it in my profile. I like the three part bun because I also don't like the slicked back look on myself. Allows me to add more hair volume around my face.

spidermom
March 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Try "the bun that stays" from the articles section. Try it high, try it in the middle, try it low. It doesn't pull as much as most other buns in my experience.

deviantkitten
March 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I think the issue here is that you need to find styles that distribute the weight of your hair evenly. Try not do to anything where all if your hair is all together on just one part of your head. Think about it. What's gonna be more painful- 5 lbs balanced on a chopstick resting on your head, or 5 lbs sitting on a plate resting on your head...ok well 5 lbs on your head is gonna hurt no matter what LOL but you know what I mean. A style that will separate the hair and spread it out more. Elizabethan hair taping is great. check out Torrin Paige's youtube tutorial.
Other than that style, I can't recommend any other particular styles, other to suggest finding styles to distribute weight and not be pulling your hair from just one place.

suicides_eve
March 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I deal with the same thing. It's like a sensitive scalp thing. I find a french twist type style works for me and keeps my hair nice looking and out of the way of my daily goings on.

tig-man
March 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
i have no solution for you, just wanna chime in that i have the same problem. i only know how to do two styles besides loose. one is half up pony tail and the other is full pony tail, both hurt my hair line (above my forehead). even if i let it down with no braids, ties or anything, where my hair parts hurts too after a few days. so i just learn to part it in different places and deal with it.

Rennire
March 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I second Elizabethan hair taping. I get really bad headaches too so it's either that or a really low Nautilus bun for me!

Gumball
March 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Sometimes weight distribution matters. If it's not spread out even enough then it creates more sections of tension that get annoying/painful. That might be why your prom hairdresser did a style that didn't hurt. The weight was spread out enough where it didn't get concentrated to the point that you were bothered. When it comes to putting hair up that's where practice (sometimes lots of it) comes in before you get it down well enough to do regularly.

Another thing to consider is if you wear your hair in one way often then if you keep the strands pulled in a different way the muscles at the base of each strand get sore kind of like phone elbow. They get used to lying to the left, then they get pulled right for a while and aren't used to it so an ache may result.

I wish you lots of luck in your hunt to find something that works for you! I love my nautilus bun when I need something that holds, is simple, and doesn't really tug much.

Aerith
March 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone. :) Yeah, I know I need to find a style that distributes the weight better. My hair definitely likes to be parted, and not combed back so if I have a part it shouldn't be as sore (I hope). Like you said Gumball, I think my hair is too use to being pulled back in the same exact way every day.