PDA

View Full Version : I had a cone accident...

Mannaz
March 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
So, yesterday I thought I'd do something nice for my hair. I mixed up some cone-free conditioner, peach-kernet oil, hydrolyzed oat protein, and some moisturizing cream. The cream was a sample from the pharmacy, and it was the same brand that I use for my skin and also sometimes for my hair, it has a very simple INCI with no silicones.

Well, this one had silicones in it, and of course I took a look at the INCI only AFTER the stuff was in my head. Cyclomethicone is listed fifth on the INCI, and before that, beeswax :rolleyes:.... The mix was in my hair for a couple of hours, and now it feels so...weird and grose.
Yes, it has some great slip, but it's so limp and feels a half thinner than normally when I co...

I haven't used any cones for a couple of years, and this convinces me that I will not use them ever again. And I swear there are dozens of new right angles and other weird things that wasn't there before yesterday!

I'm not sure how the protein goes in to the scenario, any thoughts on that? I don't use proteins regularly, only sometimes in my deep treatments.

So now I'm contemplating what to do, should I clarify right away, or maybe just do a CO to see what happens? Is clarifying the only thing to get rid of the cone-coating and get my normal texture back? Do you guys know what type of cone that cyclomethicone is? I say it is evil, EVIL!

Thanks for your help!

Centelleo
March 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cyclomethicone isn't water soluble but it is one of the lighter cones commonly used in beauty products. A clarifying wash should knock it right out.

ericthegreat
March 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM
So, yesterday I thought I'd do something nice for my hair. I mixed up some cone-free conditioner, peach-kernet oil, hydrolyzed oat protein, and some moisturizing cream. The cream was a sample from the pharmacy, and it was the same brand that I use for my skin and also sometimes for my hair, it has a very simple INCI with no silicones.

Well, this one had silicones in it, and of course I took a look at the INCI only AFTER the stuff was in my head. Cyclomethicone is listed fifth on the INCI, and before that, beeswax :rolleyes:.... The mix was in my hair for a couple of hours, and now it feels so...weird and grose.
Yes, it has some great slip, but it's so limp and feels a half thinner than normally when I co...

I haven't used any cones for a couple of years, and this convinces me that I will not use them ever again. And I swear there are dozens of new right angles and other weird things that wasn't there before yesterday!

I'm not sure how the protein goes in to the scenario, any thoughts on that? I don't use proteins regularly, only sometimes in my deep treatments.

So now I'm contemplating what to do, should I clarify right away, or maybe just do a CO to see what happens? Is clarifying the only thing to get rid of the cone-coating and get my normal texture back? Do you guys know what type of cone that cyclomethicone is? I say it is evil, EVIL!

Thanks for your help!

Actuallly, many devoted members here regularly use products that contain cones and they swear by them. Cones clearly work very well for them. Actually, my hair loves cones as well, I've used coney conditioners for years on end previously and my hair has always been very shiny and silky feeling.

If you happen to prefer using a conefree haircare method, by all means go for it :). But, I suspect that if you were to use cones occasionally on your hair, it would actually make your hair even shinier and sleeker in fact.

Mannaz
March 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Centelleo: thanks for the information!

Ericthegreat: I know many people love cones, and maybe even I would get some benefit from them, but right now, what they offer just isn't what I'm looking for. The feeling I have in my hair now reminds me of the times when I had no clue about proper haircare, the times when I used any shampoo and conditioner -usually loaded with cones- and I hated my hair then because it had no volume or texture and was so dull and frizzy, I thought it was just my hairtype, but now I'm pretty sure it was the harsh shampoos and cones. All this has changed after switching to CO/herb washing, I love the volume and the feeling of "weight" in my hair. Maybe when my hair gets longer I'll try a coney serum just for my ends, but for now I'll stay away for them...

I was just so shocked at how different the texture became after such small amount of what i now hear "light" silicone :cool:

aisling
March 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Well, after putting all that on your hair, how can you be sure it is the one cone that made it feel weird? There are other possibilities as well, including the protein so I would be a bit careful in judging cones based on this experience.

MandaMom2Three
March 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I used to have a lot of luck with cones, so I still occasionally try using them again. Even one use is usually enough to remind me that my hair really prefers I not use them anymore :rolleyes:. No, I don't think CO would remove it. I would clarify and follow with a nice long deep moisture treatment after, then resume hair life as normal :flower:

Anje
March 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM
If I recall, cyclomethicone is volatile. That is, it should actually have evaporated from your hair by now. It's useful to help spreading and all that.

In my limited experience with it, I happen to think it's rather drying to my hair. It won't build up, though.

I'd be more inclined to blame the beeswax and/or the protein on your problems in this instance.

karli
March 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Beeswax can be difficult to remove as well. If clarification is ok with your hair - go for it. Eventually your hair will return to normal.
Last time I accidently put cones in my hair, I clarified and got a really itchy scalp that i tried to massage with oils to calm down - which led to shedding. It took over a month for my scalp and hair to get back to normal.
Cones are not evil, I know that there are many people who use and love them. For my hair they really don`t work though.

Fethenwen
March 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Centelleo: thanks for the information!

Ericthegreat: I know many people love cones, and maybe even I would get some benefit from them, but right now, what they offer just isn't what I'm looking for. The feeling I have in my hair now reminds me of the times when I had no clue about proper haircare, the times when I used any shampoo and conditioner -usually loaded with cones- and I hated my hair then because it had no volume or texture and was so dull and frizzy, I thought it was just my hairtype, but now I'm pretty sure it was the harsh shampoos and cones. All this has changed after switching to CO/herb washing, I love the volume and the feeling of "weight" in my hair. Maybe when my hair gets longer I'll try a coney serum just for my ends, but for now I'll stay away for them...

I was just so shocked at how different the texture became after such small amount of what i now hear "light" silicone :cool:
That is so me! I can't stand cones either for those very reasons. I had a few hours of wow the last time I used a coney shampoo, but after that it got horribly limp and dull. And all the memories of horrible hair back in the days came back :p

Mannaz
March 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
And all the memories of horrible hair back in the days came back :p

This is why I suspect the cones were to blame...
It's like I flashbacked right back to the nineties and the pantene-era :D, no offense to those who like the brand!
Protein tends to make my hair a bit dry if i use it too much, but never limp. But yeah, I'm sure the beeswax has a big role in this case.
Anyway I just washed my hair with a sulfate shampoo and followed with lots of conditioner, it's still wet, we'll see what happens...

Thanks for all the responses, I'll be sure to read the INCI before I put anything I'm not familiar with in my hair... And I know cones arent evil, just needed a rant-moment :p:o

Spring
March 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I used to have a lot of luck with cones, so I still occasionally try using them again. Even one use is usually enough to remind me that my hair really prefers I not use them anymore :rolleyes:. No, I don't think CO would remove it. I would clarify and follow with a nice long deep moisture treatment after, then resume hair life as normal :flower:

I second this :)

update: I think I didn't notice how drying the cones were before because I used the cone conditioners (:D pantene) in between my no-cone conditioners. But after joining hair boards, I started paying attention and I notice the dryness within hours or definitely by the next day :(.

I would carefully clarify and deep condition :flower: