PDA

View Full Version : Neck hair - Breakage or new growth?

elina333
March 11th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Ok so my hair has been growing pretty good lately. I guess I had about 1-2inches of growth since my last trim on january 5th :cheer:

But all of a sudden I have these neck hairs that are much shorter than the rest of my hair. They're too short to even be in the updos I wear and they tangle pretty bad :hmm:

What are they? Regrowth or breakage? I hope for the previous of course... I idid have some severe shedding like six months ago, but that was mainly around my front hairline (from what I could see at least). Maybe its because of that? Or as hair gets longer, do the neck hair break? Any ideas? :confused:

I wash my hair 2-3 times a week with coney schampoo and use a coney in-shower-treatment, and I use coconut oil everyday. I havent had a trim or highlights since january 5th and my hair is F but iii. Prob around 25 inches long by now.

Honestwitness
March 11th, 2010, 02:18 AM
My neck hairs stay perpetually about 3 or 4 inches long. I don't think it's breakage. I just think that's the way nature programmed them to grow. Just like hair on other parts of the body only grows to a certain length and no longer, so it is with my neck hairs. They won't stay up in my updo's either.

However, if I spritz them with a little water and kind of scrunch them, they dry kind of curly and don't look bad at all. Once in a blue moon, I might CAREFULLY use my smallest-barrel curling iron on them, to give me that Greek goddess look.

Stagecoach
March 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I have the same, and while I know for afact my necklace clasps sometimes get caught in them, I never wore jewelry before I was 14 and I clearly remember having my neck hairs short then as well.

bumblebums
March 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I have the same, and while I know for afact my necklace clasps sometimes get caught in them, I never wore jewelry before I was 14 and I clearly remember having my neck hairs short then as well.

I don't think it's necessarily breakage--the hairs around the hairline, both around the face and around the neck line, tend to have a shorter terminal growth for a lot of people. Mine are not only shorter but finer, too. You can tell whether it's breakage or not by examining the ends of the hair. New growth will have a pointy end without any sign of splitting.

And it's reassuring to see that even Stagecoach has this and still has beautiful, super-long hair!

FrannyG
March 11th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I've always had what I call "baby hairs" at my nape. I don't wear necklaces, but those baby hairs never grow long enough to go into an updo, no matter how long my hair is.

I kind of like them. It softens the look a bit.

Joette
March 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I've got those too and tons of little baby flyaway hairs around my temples and forehead. In my reading it sounds like they might just be new hairs growing. The reason they don't ever seem to go away or get longer is that once they do get longer, they're up in the bulk of your hair and have been replaced by new new growth, making it seem to us like they're little hairs that won't grow.

Or I could be completely off-base. :) My hair grew long simply because I didn't want to spend the money for someone else to cut it and I couldn't do it myself...but now that it's BSL I'm bitten by the bug. Which is all a complicated way of saying that though I'm BSL, I'm still very new to the long hair journey!

jenga
March 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sounds like regrowth to me, I wouldn't worry.

BTW, I adore your hair.

elina333
March 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds like regrowth to me, I wouldn't worry.

BTW, I adore your hair.

THANK YOU! :D Thats very kind :flower:

Cirafly24
March 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have always had a lot of little baby hairs at the nape of my neck. They don't go into updos, but if i twirl them around my finger, sometimes they'll settle into little curls that look kind of cute.

I don't think they're due to breakage or new growth, I think that particular area just stays short.

jexichan
March 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
My wife's hair type is very close to yours, OP, and she also has those neck hairs. Despite ensuring that they don't get caught in necklace clasps and the like, they don't seem to grow. Sometimes she'll use one drop of pure aloe vera to tame them a bit when she has her hair up.