PDA

View Full Version : How much silk should I get?

Monkey962
March 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
During my travels here at LHC, I've learned that silk or satin items can prevent damage to hair when used in place of cotton items. For example, I feel pretty confident that some of my shorter hairs are that way because of the way I sleep, and I suspect my generic cotton pillowcase to be the culprit. So I figure, I'll replace it with a silk/satin one.

But then I thought, why stop there?

Would it be worth it to get anything else made out of those materials? When I'm at home, I'm almost always in a robe, should I get a robe made out of one of those materials, or would that just be overkill? And what about bed sheets? I feel that'd be more expensive than it's worth. :)

MotherConfessor
March 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM
A pillowcase should be sufficient. If you are worried about your robe material damaging it you could consider a silk hair net or scarf for when you are wearing it. If you are worried about it at other times you can try wearing it up more.

trolleypup
March 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
But then I thought, why stop there?

Would it be worth it to get anything else made out of those materials? When I'm at home, I'm almost always in a robe, should I get a robe made out of one of those materials, or would that just be overkill? And what about bed sheets? I feel that'd be more expensive than it's worth. :)
Silk is its own reward!

That said, probably overkill. The key is to find materials that are smoother and less catchy/linty than cotton. I've found that modal has many of the properties of silk without so much of the cost...or even the cost of very high threadcount cotton sheets.

ravenreed
March 11th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I adore silk. If I could afford silk sheets, I would so get them.

Isilme
March 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
a silk scarf! You know when it's cold and you have been outside for awhile and then get home and take off your scarf and find all those little neck hairs totally tangled.
And think about that long braid you throw over the pillowcase, at your length it's going to rub against the cotton sheets between the pillow and bed frame when you move in your sleep.
Consider getting a large piece of silk you could put under the pillowcases and over the top part of the sheet.

hmmm
March 11th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I love silk scarves!

Anlbe
March 11th, 2010, 02:57 AM
If I were you I'd consider maybe sewing a silk collar onto my robe or making detachable ones depending on the robe. For me I don't like silk sheets - far too warm! But I do use left over squares of silk (from old pillowcases or clothes) as towels for my hair.
If your looking at material I'd recommend also looking at raw silk. It's much cheaper and stronger than satin silk or charmeuse and I find it actually far better satin silk for my hair and skin.

Carolyn
March 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Wearing your hair up will protect it from your robe or clothing. I have several polyester satins robes and my hair slides over them nicely. A silk scarf would help when you want to wear it down if you want to be extra careful. Wool sweaters and jacklets and fleece clothing seem to grab on to my hair. Perhaps the shed hairs slide off the slippery, satiny fabrics and cling to the woolens and the fleece. A silk pillowcase should be enough protection for sleeping.

Anje
March 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I would suggest getting a bit to make a cover of some sort for the back of the seat of your car, if you drive. Even when I try to lean it back a bit further, my headrests are shaped so that they often catch on my hair, and I've contemplated covering them for a while. This could also be nice on long trips when someone else is driving, so you can lean back and relax without mussing your hairdo.

countryhopper
March 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
If you're going to buy actual material to sew with vs. store bought pillowcases,etc, and you have extra fabric, make up a few silk scrunchies!