PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizing hair while outside...

Marz Hase
March 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Alright... My hair HATES being without olive oil. Absolutely hates it. Does not function well at ALL. However, my fear is that if I oil my hair before spending an entire day outdoors, the hair will heat up and pretty much fry my hair. Is this true? And if so, what can I use as a replacement?

Heavenly Locks
March 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I seriously doubt that the sun can impart enough heat onto your hair to 'fry' it with the olive oil. If that were the case, any oil (including your own sebum) would be a risk. IMO, the damage comes from the UV rays and all that.

If you're worried put on a hat or cover your hair, or use a protective updo :flower:

elina333
March 11th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldnt worry either... The temperature where oil starts cooking is way higher than what you get from the sun. So dont worry! Wear a hat if you get too warm :flower:

cardamom
March 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Did you meat it gets heat fried?:confused:

May be it gets dry becuse you leave it down - the dry environment,wind,rubbing against your clothes and of course the sun.

Do an updo when you step out.

You can use a tiny bit of leave in conditioner/sunscreen on your hair if you want to leave it down.You can also use a scarf or a hat.

Make sure you are well hydrated.

Hope this works.:)

hmmm
March 11th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I've never heard of this happening... I oil my hair a lot, I've never had any damage from it. It's really hot and sunny here, btw.

ETA Olive oil may accelerate the bleaching process of your hair when you're in the sun, as it contains peroxide. But I seriously doubt that any oil will harm your hair. You're safer using oil than you are not using it ;) My head gets super hot when I'm in the sun - it's black and well, it's hot - but it doesn't cause damage. If you're worried, you can wear a scarf or a hat as other people have suggested.

Marz Hase
March 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Awesome! I'm sorry for the silly question, guys... I'm new to this whole oiling my hair thing(even though apparently I should have been doing it all along with the way my hair loves it).

christine1989
March 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
If anything oil can protect your hair in the sun from some of the UV rays. People actually heat their hair with oil in it to help the oil penetrate even deeper so sun may actually be good for it.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
The heat should help you absorb the oil. Two suggestions. The first one is to oil damp hair if you're not already. A lot of people find that this really helps because the oil keeps the moisture in. Also, coconut oil melts at a much higher temperature. If you ever plan on being somewhere extremely hot and you think this will somehow be a problem for oiling your hair, you could try this other oil. I don't know if your hair likes coconut oil.

ChloeDharma
March 12th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Coconut is an oil traditionaly used in hot countries, but sesame has some level of SPF which might be worth considering. I agree with the suggestions to wear your hair up and try to keep it covered though.