PDA

View Full Version : It's Too Thick!

ammorgan
May 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
It has been a while since I posted.

But my hair is too thick. 4.5 inches ponytail.

Granted if its down it's not that thick at the ends but man it gets hot down. I haven't worn my hair down...probably since the winter (on a really cold day) and the whole reason I got it cut like I did last time is to wear it down.

But with it down I end up sweating a lot and my hair ends up plastered to my head, so my hair is always back in a ponytail.

I've actually been tempted to cut it really short, because that is a lot cooler than my hair right now.

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is if there is anything I can do to make it cooler (thinning it does work but only for a little while) and also just ranting.

zift
May 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Hii ammorgan:)
Is it still hot when you put it up?Or you want to wear it down and want it cooler when down?
I mean I shaved from my ears down a year or so ago and it felt much lighter :lol: but I'm having horrible days trying to grow it out.:o Thinning might be an option for lightening but it won't cool it if you wear your hair down because the hair on your neck will be still bothering you.I suggest to keep putting it up. :)

Anje
May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Buns! French twists! Braids that start high. Get your hair off your neck when you're too warm, and you'll be a lot happier. Hair is also a lot less insulating when it's gathered snugly against your head than when it's down. Moistening your hair before or after you put it up might also make you cooler.

ammorgan
May 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Nope not hot when I put it up, not to mention I can use my ponytail as a built in fan LOL.

It would be nice to be able to wear it down sometimes, I always put it into a ponytail, never anything else. I wake up and I grab my ponytail holder and put my hair up, and it stays up (unless my hair starts coming out and I redo my ponytail) until I go to bed.

My hair is layered so sometimes parts of it come out of the ponytail which is tons of fun!

DecafJane
May 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
As somebody with relatively thick hair who is growing it out from VERY short, I have to say that it is cooler to put your hair up than to have it short - with very short hair (unless you buzz cut it) there is always a thick layer around your head that traps the air and keeps it warm, whereas with hair that is up you keep it closer to the head and off your neck so it is cooler.
It was a BIG relief to me when I could finally pull my hair up and I found it so much cooler.
Also if you have very thick hair, short hair can be a nightmare.

I hope you work it out soon! :)

freznow
May 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Let me tell you that even thin hair is hot while down. Even if you got rid of half your hair, it might be slighly cooler, but it'd still be quite uncomfortable.

snowbear
May 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
My hair is hip-length and 5" (when compacted), and what works for me are updos and wet hair. Thin hair and thick hair have their own sets of issues. :shrug:

anna1850
May 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Well, if you just want to make it less thick then do a half-up bun. There'll be less hair on your neck. However, if you really want to stay cool then I'd say a full updo is your best bet.

Paniscus
May 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I work outside a lot and tend to use the ol' ponytail holder quite often. When my hair was cut into a nice short bob, it was somewhat cool, but once it grew further down covering my neck it was horrendously hot! And I couldn't do anything with it... no ponytail/braid or anything! Updos or in a ponytail or braid is really the only thing that keeps me cool in the summer.

Have you considered half -ups? Your hair would still be down, but getting it off/out of your face might help, eh? :flower:

you beat me to the half-up before I could post anna1850!

harley mama
May 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I wish I still had thick hair to complain about! You are lucky that you have so much hair!

Dianyla
May 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have about the same ponytail circumference as you. The coolest hairstyle I've ever experienced was mini-braids. You can feel the breeze on your scalp!

Unfortunately they're a ridiculous amount of work for thick long hair. In the meantime, simply doing double braids at least opens up a part in the back of your scalp which gets better ventilation. :)

Angellen
May 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I have a 4.25" pony (at nape) myself, and I live in a very temperate area. What I do is bun or braid a lot. Updos are your friends right now. :) That's not to say you can't cut if you want to, but there are ways to keep your long hair when it's hot out. :flower:

j4zzin
May 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Nearly 5" here! What I do is put my hair up in a bun when it's still wet so it stays cooler. If I decide to take it down for a bit, my hair is still wet, so it's very refreshing.

kwaniesiam
May 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
You could all donate some thickness to me :bigtongue:

I can barely put my hair in a ponytail right now, and it is so hot when down on my neck, and my pony is a miserable 1.75" around, so up is definitely your best bet. The double braids would be a good idea, you can even do two wet english braids so that it cools you down while they dry. Also some misting of your scalp with some essential oils like peppermint have a cooling effect as well. Maybe try that?

Periwinkle
May 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
My hair is like that too (16cm pony...what's that in inches? 6 and a bit?!) and all I can say is PUT IT UP. Having it short doesn't work: I've been there. What's worked best for me is braids (before I learned to French braid quite recently, I would just put it in a regular braid and then pin it up: looked atrocious, but it worked) and buns (I still can't do any properly because my hair's not long enough, but even shoulder length is enough for a cinnabun held with elastic). Trust me, it's a lot better than having it short.

Hypnotica
May 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
I'm only 3.1 inches, but yes - having the hair down does make me feel quite a lot hotter. That is fine during winter nights, not so much during summer.

Rosamaria
May 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Well I must say it's interesting to read all this. I have always wished for thicker hair but now I see that it's not all a bed of roses! I suppose any kind of hair has its advantages and its drawbacks and the lesson for me is that i should be grateful for what I've got!:)