PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Massage

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried massaging their scalp? Supposedly this increases the blood circulation to the scalp which will help hair growth..Plus it feels good! :cheese:

aef231
March 10th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yup. I started doing this recently each night before bed. I mist my scalp with a blend of water and lavender, rosemary, and tea tree essential oils. not sue if it's making it grow faster, but sure does feel nice! :cheese:

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I do this in the shower while I am washing my hair. i try not to do it too often between washings, because while it does increase bloodflow, it also encourages sebum, and y hair is fine and tends to get too oily when I play with it too often. Man, it does feel good tho!

Hana
March 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
i do it too when i shampoo. love it.
and sometimes when i put in a deep oil treatment, just because.

sweetestday
March 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I like to massage my husband's head, but he's quite bald. It doesn't seem to be making any difference. :D I sure love it when he massages my head, though. My mom bought me an interesting head massager thing for Christmas. I'll see if I can find a link for it. It sure feels good to me, but my boys fall to the ground giggling when I try it on them. :)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/236364393/head_massager_tools.html

momtofour
March 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Scalp massage is one of the first "hands on" procedures that hairdressing students learn. You can go to the nearest beauty school and get a deep conditioning treatment with a lengthy scalp massage for a very nominal fee. It always feels SO much better when someone else does it. (Don't forget to tip, tho). :)

Felix_D
March 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Scalp massage is one of the first "hands on" procedures that hairdressing students learn. You can go to the nearest beauty school and get a deep conditioning treatment with a lengthy scalp massage for a very nominal fee. It always feels SO much better when someone else does it. (Don't forget to tip, tho). :)
Oh my god I love when my hairdresser massages my scalp with the conditioner, but I didn't know I could just go pay someone for just the massage!!

I... I have to go... Don't wait up... :cheese:

Peter
March 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Yep, I do. Feels good. :D

Ravenne
March 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I do when I'm in the shower and I'm doing my final "scrub" with my conditioner. I've noticed some new growth at my hairline in some thin spots too. Dunno if its because of that, but I'm not complaining either way. :D Massages rock!

momtofour
March 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Felix D - Hairdressing students are always GLAD to have "real live" humans to work on, vs. mannequin heads. It is great place to get a facial, too, at a very reasonable price. The massage that goes with that is also very enjoyable.

EqLady
March 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Has anyone tried massaging their scalp? Supposedly this increases the blood circulation to the scalp which will help hair growth..Plus it feels good! :cheese:
I massage my scalp before every wash. I scrub in a bit of oil to the scalp. It isn't an involved process, just a minute or so.

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have never gotten a scalp massage before, I think that would be nice..but i do massage it once in a while, and obviously in the shower..hehehe!

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I do this in the shower while I am washing my hair. i try not to do it too often between washings, because while it does increase bloodflow, it also encourages sebum, and y hair is fine and tends to get too oily when I play with it too often. Man, it does feel good tho!
It's also true if you massage the scalp with conditioner it makes it a lot more oily..I love that dancing cheese dude! :cheese:

Jessikinz
March 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I love scalp massages! I did one last night while watching tv. Feels great :)

JenniferNoel
March 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I massage my scalp multiple times throughout the day. Feels great, relaxing, and generally great for hair and scalp alike.
I don't know if it's psychological, but I'm pretty sure it sped up my hair growth a little and also helped grow more hairs. But that could be due to a number of things. Just some food for thought.

Juliannaissance
March 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I massage my scalp multiple times throughout the day. Feels great, relaxing, and generally great for hair and scalp alike.
I don't know if it's psychological, but I'm pretty sure it sped up my hair growth a little and also helped grow more hairs. But that could be due to a number of things. Just some food for thought.
I think you're right, the tingly feeling after the massaging seems to liven up the hair. :D

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I do it when I'm tired or when my head hurts. It puts me right to sleep and it feels amazing. Obviously, it's a good idea in the shower too, but I'm in a hurry then. It's nice while I'm laying in bed ready to go to sleep, or when I'm reclining on the couch watching a movie or something.

Rhiannon7
March 12th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Ohhh yes! i love it, but i have to do the scalp massage just before washing or my hair gets all weird. but it feels wonderful to do.

naereid
March 12th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I do a couple of times a week. It feels nice, but what bothers me is that my fingers get strange and tingly so I have to stop after a minute or so.

There's a new article on that very subject in the articles section!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=172

elina333
March 12th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I do it too, but I have to do it right before a wash or my hair gets really oily... Although I like it better when someone else does it. Much more relaxing and my arms wont cramp :D

habioku
March 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I love scalp massage, but because it increase my sebum production, I used to massage before I intent to wash my hair. Sometimes I use olive oil for the massage, this is good for my sensitive scalp and prevents dandruff.

Juliannaissance
March 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I do a couple of times a week. It feels nice, but what bothers me is that my fingers get strange and tingly so I have to stop after a minute or so.

There's a new article on that very subject in the articles section!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=172
This happens to me too!! Really annoying right?:p

curlylocks85
March 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
All the time. I love it!

juliesglory
March 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Ooooh I do it all the time, many times per day :)
I do it with my head bent over upside down, it feels amazing :cheese:
And I have plenty of new hair growing, and my overall hair is growing very fast too, vive scalp massages :cool:

PineappleJello
March 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I love massaging my head upside down, but I prefer massinging other people's hair.

naereid
March 14th, 2010, 03:05 AM
This happens to me too!! Really annoying right?:p
Indeed!

A couple of times I saw these kinds of scalp massagers (http://www.amazon.com/Scalp-Massager-Colors-May-Vary/dp/B001IHXFQK/ref=pd_sim_hpc_5) for sale... they feel REALLY, REALLY GOOD, but probably don't work that well for circulation, just for a nice scratching. Sigh. :grnbiggri

Sunny_side_up
March 14th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I do a mini scalp massage sometimes when i get home in the evening after work, do find some tense parts of my scalp and its eased by the gentle pressing, don't massage too often though because i think it'll get too greasy quickly, i'm holding out for 3 days no washing if i can manage it, otherwise wash every other day.

Years ago had a fab head massage in a salon while lying in one of those massage chairs, they didn't tell me they were going to start doing it, was well weird at first but enjoyed it. Would love to go for one of those indian head massages.

jexichan
March 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I massage my spoiled SO's head almost every night. It's good leverage when I want to invest in hair toys.

tokidokichi
March 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I like to massage my scalp a couple times a day and even turn my head upside down to get some blood flowing up there! hehe

bubbles_87
March 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I do this all the time. I've noticed the more often I massage my scalp it seems like my hair grows faster. The only bad side is that it gets more oily but oh well it feels good. I do it almost every other day for 30 seconds to a few minutes.

bumblebums
March 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
You know, I used to do it, but all it seemed to do is make my hair greasier, and it also caused me to shed a lot more.

Nowadays, I don't massage my scalp, but I do make sure to incorporate a good long inversion into my yoga practice, which accomplishes the same result (and is also good for your face's skin). I also make sure to get plenty of exercise to keep circulation up all around.

yellowchariot
March 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have never gotten a scalp massage before, I think that would be nice..but i do massage it once in a while, and obviously in the shower..hehehe!

^ No way! Then one of your hair goals should be to get someone to give you a head message! :D

IMO giving yourself a scalp message, is not as soothing as someone else doing it for you. You have to work at it, your arms, fingers, and hands will tire too quickly.

I am a sucker for head messages! They put me to sleep, which is awesome, because It's difficult for me to even dose off on my own. It also helps relieve stress. One of the reason's why I've decided to have long hair, is because the longer hair actually intensifies the relaxing feeling of getting a message. :thumbsup:

Capybara
March 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I absolutely LOVE scalp massages!

As a joke last year, my sister bought my brother a scalp massager for christmas, similar to this: http://www.wellness-shop.ca/head_massager.html
Surprisingly, it feels amazing! What was supposed to be a gag gift turned out to be a hit... And trust me, it's not as evil as it looks. :D

Juliannaissance
March 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
^ No way! Then one of your hair goals should be to get someone to give you a head message! :D

IMO giving yourself a scalp message, is not as soothing as someone else doing it for you. You have to work at it, your arms, fingers, and hands will tire too quickly.

I am a sucker for head messages! They put me to sleep, which is awesome, because It's difficult for me to even dose off on my own. It also helps relieve stress. One of the reason's why I've decided to have long hair, is because the longer hair actually intensifies the relaxing feeling of getting a message. :thumbsup:
Nice! Yeah, I try I do it myself. The only thing I've had is a regular back massage. And that feels way better when someone does it. hahaha!
Scalp massaging does tend to sooth me though, imagine how it would feel if someone else did it, i would put myself into a coma. :D

ArienEllariel
March 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Oh yes. I love scalp massages. I just wish I could get someone else to give me one. *makes mental note for future hubby* :)

Bethie
March 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I love scalp massages, especially after a stressful week. My mom laughed at me because I had her "teach" my DH how to give a proper massage.

Juliannaissance
March 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
I just got my BF to give me a scalp massage the other day. So soothing! The tingly feeling is the best! :cheese:

yellowchariot
March 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM
I just got my BF to give me a scalp massage the other day. So soothing! The tingly feeling is the best! :cheese:

^ Told ya! :thumbsup:

Let the other person do all of the work, while you lay there in bliss! That's the only way to get a massage! hehe

Jammy
June 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
My inhumanly good boyfriend has been massaging my scalp every day. It's only been a few months but my hair has gotten quite a bit thicker (amount) and my seasonal shedding stopped early!!

Not to mention it feels fantastic! Thanks Kevie!

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Blood supply to the derma papilla is what nourishes a hair to grow. If you increase the blood supply, you can encourage a stronger, faster, healthier growth cycle. Not everyone will notice results, but for some people it can be dramatic. If you are bald and have already lost the ability to grow hair in those follicles, it will do nothing for you.
When I went through my Electrolysis training I started massaging my scalp, because it is scientifically proven to stimulate growth. That was five years ago and I still massage nightly. I have 1 inch of growth every three weeks on average. You must do it regularly to reap the benefits, if you only do it once or twice a week it won't provide enough increase in blood supply to stimulate the derma papilla.
Happy massaging everyone !

Barniie
June 3rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Whenever I do this (including today) lots of my hair falls out, I dont know if im just loosening old hair from the root, but it freaks me out. Still, it feels marvellous!

TerraD
June 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
I love scalp massages, they do feel great. I do them before shampooing (to help loosen whatever may be clogging my pores) and after moisturizing my scalp (to increase absorption).:eyebrows:

Synthemesc
August 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I LOVE scalp massages, annoys me that I doesn't feel as good when you do it yourself. Was given one of those scalp massager thingmajigs... feels good but nothing beats a bit of pressure.

Mel
August 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I just started doing scalp massage a few weeks ago and I'm already in love with it! Not only does it feel good but it seems to be helping with my dry patches because it does encourage sebum production. After I'm done massaging I "pull" the oil down my hair. I've been doing it every night and also when I wash. I really wish I had learned about this sooner.

suffer-cait
August 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM
i love the motion of giving a scalp massage, and frequently give them to others. when ever i massage myself, however, it does not feel as good for my head or my hand. this does not in any way cause me to stop, because i know it's good for me. =]

Peisinoe
August 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I've heard that scalp massages not only help hair grow faster, but they also help keep away headaches. I haven't noticed my hair growing faster from it though...
(If you don't mind your hair getting a bit darker though, putting flax-seed oil in helps)

Tea Lady
August 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Here's a question: I have a pair of scunci massage paddles that I bought several years ago. They look similar to these (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AGQ169CAL._SS500_.jpg) (couldn't find a picture of the scunci ones). Does anyone know the proper technique for using these? I've been doing a combo of little circular movements, and also keeping them stationary and just altering the pressure of my hands over them (does that make sense?).

Would using fingers be significantly better?

Thanks, Tea Lady

LoversLullaby
August 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I absolutely adore scalp massages, I do them at least twice a day using Snowymoon's Scalp Massage Method. I love the way it makes my scalp feel, plus while doing this method my sebum gets distributed through my hair making it soft!

I have just started doing them and have not noticed any growth yet, but even if I don't I still definitely benefit from them! :cheese:

christine1989
August 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I think I may be one of the only people on LHC who dosen't like scalp massages. I want to like it but I just can't. I hate doing it because I get bored plus it is difficult because my hair is quite thick at the roots.

Carina
August 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I love scalp massages for sure.But I really miss having someone who can give me one when I want and feel like it.

lhangel9
August 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM

At least every other night. First I use essential oils, massage for at least 5 minutes and I even brush 100 strokes. It feels great!!!

lsnyder09
August 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
hmmm I shall have to try this indeed! I need to get some essential oils though

emsahib
August 12th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Blood supply to the derma papilla is what nourishes a hair to grow. If you increase the blood supply, you can encourage a stronger, faster, healthier growth cycle. Not everyone will notice results, but for some people it can be dramatic. If you are bald and have already lost the ability to grow hair in those follicles, it will do nothing for you.
When I went through my Electrolysis training I started massaging my scalp, because it is scientifically proven to stimulate growth. That was five years ago and I still massage nightly. I have 1 inch of growth every three weeks on average. You must do it regularly to reap the benefits, if you only do it once or twice a week it won't provide enough increase in blood supply to stimulate the derma papilla.
Happy massaging everyone !

UltraBella how long do you massage for?