PDA

View Full Version : Can you tie your hair in a knot?

edensapples
March 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
A different kind of milestone to be sure, but recently I discovered that my thick hair had finally gotten long enough to tie it all in a knot at the back of my head.

I don't even need hair sticks or hair ties now. I still use them, I like the look of them.. but it is great to know that if I need to tie my hair back, I don't have to have anything on hand!

Who's with me?

:cheese:

SimplyViki
March 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Me! :D I tie my hair in a "breadbag knot". :p That's the knot my family would always tie into a bread bag when we lost the twist tie, with a tail end sticking out and a loop so you just pull on the end to loosen the knot.

spidermom
March 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Oh yes, even a double-loop knot, but without a stick or fork, it won't stay in longer than about 1/2 minute.

edensapples
March 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah Yeah! A breadbag knot!

I don't pull my ends through so the bun looks smooth, but yes! Awesome :D

At what length were y'all able to first do it?

I am about 3" from waist.

Merewen
March 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I can tie a knot, but it won't stay yet. Now I"m wondering if I could pull off the "breadbag knot". That would be pretty useful.

SimplyViki
March 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah Yeah! A breadbag knot!

I don't pull my ends through so the bun looks smooth, but yes! Awesome :D

At what length were y'all able to first do it?

I am about 3" from waist.
I was about the same length when I got back to where I could do it, too, I think. I don't pull the end through either... but by now, it sticks out from underneath. Looks kinda funny. :p

cmnt831
March 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I love knots, but my hair is too slick for them to stay on their own. I have to use hair sticks to hold them. But, yeah, I think they're great and was so happy to find that I could finally make one. :)

nowxisxforever
March 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I can indeed. I have some videos on youtube - under either killingnostalgia or nowxisxforever - and one of them is the knotbun I use. :) It tends to loosen up so it hangs at about BSL with a small tail.

Rhiannon7
March 10th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I can do the breadbag knot but it will not stay tied for more than a couple of minutes. i'm about 2 1/2 inches from waist and could do it at just below BSL, but i've practiced since '98. it's fun to be able to do a simple breadbag knot, now if it would just stay tied for more time.

yellowchariot
March 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
This is also one of my milestone 'do's to try. My hair isn't quite long enough to loop it around my fingers and pull the tail through.

I think this would be an excellent alternative to the pony-bun.

little_acorn
March 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I can only just do it but it doesn't stay - my hair has been too thick to do this ealier and if I dodn't have layers I think I'd need even more length

It looks good if you put a stick/fork through it though

Felix_D
March 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I can tie mine in a million little knots! Does that count?

farewell_nancy
March 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yep, but it's too short and slippy to stay in without pins.

IndigoAsh
March 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I usually do it when I need my hair up for a quick second and I can't find a hair tie like when I'm working with food or changing a diaper.

may1em
March 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
They don't always stay in super great, but it is a good way to get my hair out of the way for a few minutes.

Ravenne
March 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Ah! I'm so close! Ok, not really that close, but I can see how I could do it with just a few more inches. Maybe by the end of this year I'll be able to. :)

lychee
March 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The "breadbag knot" is one of my favorite things. =] I was super excited when I realized I could tie my hair back like that in November or so. It stays a little better now but all the short front bits of hair fall out so it still gets in my face! As little_acorn mentioned, it looks pretty good with a stick or something to hold it in place.

In2JC724
March 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I've been doing this with my hair for a few years now... it is very nice when I need to keep my hair up for a few minutes. It's true, it doesn't stay very well, unless my hair is dirty! lol

It does stay better as my hair has gotten longer, as the "tail" tends to hold it in.

My tail is 17 inches! Woo! :D

Copasetic
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I can! It wouldn't stay in long, though.

Qamar
March 11th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I can tie my hair into all sorts of knots, and was actually thinking recently that I want to try some nautical knots as buns. Some of the knots sailors use in rope are intricate and would make gorgeous buns.

Gumball
March 11th, 2010, 12:35 AM
When I wear a Nautilus Bun I use a stick, but if I take the stick out it still stays no problem. I say that counts as a knot, too. I just like the stick for that extra bit of security.

Qamar
March 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I also use an inside out bun/knot as a sleep bun. It holds nicely and doesn't require pins or sticks.

Quixii
March 11th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Yup. Can and do. :D

MissManda
March 11th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I wish I could. I can barely get my hair into a decent-looking cinnabun at the moment. I probably won't be able to do that until maybe hip length.

Lady_C_longhair
March 11th, 2010, 04:55 AM
It must be wonderful to have hair long enough to do this... I'm afraid mine would become too heavy to not use hairclips and so on though. I already have difficulties wearing it in a bun with shoulder - lenght hair.

squee
March 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
yeah....but it just falls right out again in less then 30seconds. :)

Liss
March 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Just tested, and successfully managed to put my BSL hair into the breadbag knot. I think it lasted all of 60 seconds before slipping out.

Angela_Rose
March 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Yes, I can. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=735&pictureid=43956)

myrrhmaiden
March 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Sadly no, I cannot.

Finoriel
March 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Yes, I can.
Four knots actually :p taper is such a great thing, isnīt it.

sibiryachka
March 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Yep, but it's too short and slippy to stay in without pins.

This, exactly. Still, with a fastener, it makes a pretty bun.

maskedrose
March 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I definitely can put it into one, but its far to slippy to stay by itself

sweetestday
March 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Now I can't get this out of my head:
Does your hair hang low?
Does it wobble to and fro?
Can you tie it in a knot?
Can you tie it in a bow?
Can you throw it over your shoulder like a continental soldier?
Does your hair hang low?

Juli414
March 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Now I can't get this out of my head:
Does your hair hang low?
Does it wobble to and fro?
Can you tie it in a knot?
Can you tie it in a bow?
Can you throw it over your shoulder like a continental soldier?
Does your hair hang low?
That was my thought, too, and I tried the bow while reading this thread, no, it doesn't work.

Spring
March 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
That would be a dream :cloud9:

freckles
March 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Yep, I can get my hair in a knot, but it doesn't stay on its own.

ladycatpurrs
March 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I can tie my hair in a knot and it will stay for hours. One day I was at my family doctor's office and forgot to put my hair up before he checked my heart and lungs so I just tied a quick knot to get it out of his way and he gave me the strangest look. He said "did you just put your hair up without anything to hold it?" So I had to take it down and show him what I had done. He seemed impressed and bemused. I bet we people on this forum get those reactions a lot though, lol!

Speckla
March 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM
My hair ties little knots on the ends all by itself. :)
I've tried but my hair gets too tangled and the ends grab onto each other for dear life. It's long enough to but just not cooperative enough.

tokidokichi
March 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I've never thought of doing that haha, but I wouldn't be able too

adiapalic
March 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Yaaay, I can make a knot in my hair as well! I actually have been using this when no hair toys are near me :o

Anje
March 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I can tie it in a knot, but it slides out pretty quick.

What works for me is to tie a knot with a loop (breadbag knot, celtic knot, etc.), then I wrap the tail around the base, then pull that loop over the knot. That stays in a secure, lumpy little ball of a bun for quite a long time.

jeanfejes
March 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Yes, but it won't stay

prettydark
March 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
My hair ties little knots on the ends all by itself. :)
I've tried but my hair gets too tangled and the ends grab onto each other for dear life. It's long enough to but just not cooperative enough.

Fairy knots! I get those too.

beez1717
March 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
grr. I'm jealous of you all. I can't wait to do this! I bet it would be fun and useful! But wouldn't my hair look too feminine that way? I'm wondering about that!

Mindfields
March 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I could if I wanted to, but I'd rather knot. (pun totally intended :p)

Misery
March 26th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Yes!

I do this every day.

Monsterkitti
March 26th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I can knot it yes but it drops right out unfortunatly unless I add a stick or grips :)