PDA

View Full Version : How to wear my hair for a job interview?

VenusHalley
March 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
It's position of interpreter... It's a leasing company... So I think I will have to look uberconservative. I have no idea what to wear (probably my "evening blouse" and skirt, bit confused about shoes... I have high boots, they look elegant, but slightly slutty/sexy:D. They have almost no heels. Than I have shoes on bit of a heel (I hate to wear heels because with my 180 centimers I feel bit overgrown).

my hair is almost waist-lenght, henna red, darker at roots, with thousands of layers and quite heavy bangs... I don't even have that many hair tools here... just some pins and sticks and that comb-thingy (two combs connected, if you know what I mean). I need to look serious, lol.

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't wear anything sparkly or flashy in my hair- if you have anything sparkly LOL. I would either wear pulled back in some type of bun with held with pins or your sticks or even just half up in a barrette, if you have one.
Just a style that is classy, professional, and understated. Something that will pull the hair away from your face to show confidence.
As a side note, if your intervier (sp?) happens to be a woman, a pair of creative but classy sticks may be a nice conversation piece if she notices and asks about them. Just as long as they are not big gold ones with cross and bones and dangly sequins hanging off of them lol. True, managers are looking for a professional and conservative look to match their business image, but a little bit of personal style with something as simple as a pair of hair sticks or a braided bun can say allot about a person, so let yourself have a little bit of fun!
Hope this helps, and I am sure other members will have lots of other advice
Good luck!

GeoJ
March 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Good luck in your interview.

Can you do something like a French twist/roll (I forgot the proper name)? That should keep the layered parts from sticking out like they might in a braided style, and it keeps the hair up and 'polished' looking.

embee
March 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
An orchid bun will hold nicely (for me) with just one stick, and is very simple and quiet. It's my go-to updo.

Low key is what you're probably looking for right now. Avoid flashy or sexy, because that - while attractive - is a bit of a danger signal in an office. Other women may find it threatening and men get distracted. ;)

Good luck on the interview! :)

kittensoupnrice
March 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
If you have the pins, I'd go for a simple unadorned braided bun. I think they look really classy and professional.

paisley
March 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Last time i went on a job interview - and got the job - my hair was a catastrophe, lol. I had planned to wear it up in a split bun with a hair stick . I went to the gym before the interview, to feel alert and relaxed, and got the urge to shower my hair afterwards. Time for the interview was approaching when i tried to fix my hair style, i got in a hurry, and it all ended up with me wearing it wet, and loose. Not very proper at all. But hey, it's a plus to look healthy and sporty these days, so...

Btw, i agree about pins. It looks very decent and also relaxed with an easy bun, fastened with non-visible pins.

VenusHalley
March 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
thanks. I think I'll go for French twist...

what is funny that I actually was invited for another interview, for an organization that is not that stuck-up... so not only I will have to run to get to the second place in time... I will also be totally overdressed most likely.