PDA

View Full Version : Local "Oscar" Awards Dinner - half up ideas?

Debra83
March 10th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Rats! Have to post again.....it disappeared!!!!

This Saturday we are having a Business Awards Dinner patterned after the Oscars and I'm going with DF because one of the companies he works for is one of the nominees!!! Then I found out that one of the companies I work for is a nominee too!!! It's a black tie event, and I went and bought a calf-length, black-beaded dress. I just happen to have a black beaded bracelet, and stretchy double black-beaded hair comb (like an African Butterfly comb) to match! I would like to let my hair air dry and scrunched to amplify my natural curls, then somehow use the comb in a half-up? That's what I was thinking unless someone comes up with something different. I henna'd last night so this is the colour I have to work with - the length seems longer this week to me too........

It's looking so straight cuz I used the Pantene Leave-in straightening cream.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=66354

What do you think? I'm sooo excited!!! (I can't believe I had to type this twice!!!!)

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Congratulations! That is so exciting!
Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for you, other than a bun, or ponying the hair you want up, and twisting a small section and pinning it where it looks nice. I have never used a butterfly band, so I can't recommend a style with that.
However you do your hair, it will look lovely.
Be safe and have a wonderful time.

brunette
March 10th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I was given two web URLs when I bought some of those combs, and here are some style ideas:
http://www.theoriginalswinky.com/styles
http://www.african-butterfly.co.uk/page49.htm

countryhopper
March 10th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Hmmm... I've never used a butterfly comb, either. So I'm not much help.

But i saw a beautiful picture of Padme's battle bun in the article section. Maybe you could do a half up using it? and securing with the comb?

Anything you decide to do, we need pics!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried out a 5 strand braid, and it isn't as hard as I thought! How about doing a 5 strand on the top half, and either allowing it to hang as is or folding it up and using your comb? 5 strands look so intricate; I'm sure you'd get lots of complements...

ericthegreat
March 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hey Debra! I love that you are not giving in to the heat styling temptation that a trillion other women would do to their hair without a second thought for an black tie dinner event.

What I would recommend then to you is to wash and condition your hair on THE actual day of the dinner. Wash it in the morning, and do the usual CWC routine that you do and then apply your leave-in conditioner and for this occasion, you need to gently detangle your hair because for this night, you want your waves to be smooth and in control, not wild and crazy. Use your wide tooth comb to detangle of course. You are between a 2c to 3a, so I know that even if you were to comb your hair out, it would naturally curl back in. Just comb your hair when its wet and full of the leave-in of course. Then let it naturally air-dry over the rest of the day.

When your waves have dried perfectly to the right shape, that's when you should do your styling. I definitely agree with the half-up idea, its very romantic. Check out this youtube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtuw_aUb-I(for you, just ignore all the brushing and the teasing of course!) but do pull back the top half of your hair up and tie it back with an non-damaging fabric covered elastic. This is just the easiest and fastest way to secure a neat half up, if you try to mess around with bobby pins and all that it gets too complicated and you often end up with wonky and bumpy parts because you didn't place all the pins in the right spot. Then, do what he does in the video and fan out the ponytail(but do yours a bit more carefully so you don't disturb your curl pattern too much). Then, you could artfully place the butterfly comb a little off to one side. Oh and in the front, pull out or purposely leave out some bang pieces, those would really help to soften the look up!

Debra83
March 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks you guys!!!!! Very helpful!!!

brunette
March 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I hope we'll get to see pics of the finished 'do!
Have fun and best of luck in the awards!

Debra83
March 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'll definitely try to get a pic or two, and thanks for the good wishes!!!!