PDA

View Full Version : Would this "clarify" my hair?

Mamakash
March 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yesterday, I tried a new sequence of oiling and washing my hair and I was wondering if it had any clarifying benefit. I've used Vo5 clarifying shampoo once and I didn't like it at all . . . left my hair clean but tangled, took a lot of effort to condition and I long a lot of hair in the process. I decided I probably should clarify again but needed my ends to be more moisturized . . . I jojoba oiled my ends and scalp, kept it on for the day and at night, rinsed my hair out. I cleaned the oil out with Vo5 conditioner, rinsed, shampooed my scalp with a clarifying shampoo(working the lather down my hair to the ends), rinsed thoroughly, then co washed with Vo5 again. I had no trouble in getting the comb through and lost very little hair. The process is painless and my ends are wonderfully soft . . . however, do I need the un-comb-able squeaky clean feel to get the benefits of clarifying?

clichepithet
March 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hello, Mamakash. I do something very similar when I clarify. I oil regularly anyway (mostly coconut), and usually right before a clarify run is give it a heavy hit at least an hour prior. Once in the shower, I CO over most of my hair, concentrating on the length and ends, and getting some up on my crown. I let that set for a few minutes while I do other showery-things. Then I rinse about half of it out, and use whatever clarifying shampoo I have ATM (diluted) on my crown, while working the suds down the length a bit, not worrying about some of the condish that's left. Afterwords I rinse, rinse, rinse. Follow with a different, heavier condish on my length and ends only, let that set while more showery-stuff takes place. Cold water rinse. Of course since I'm addicted to oil, after I'm mostly dry it gets a little more on the ends. I've never sought that squeaky-stripped feeling. What I want is clean. We have hard water and am a blonde, so I tend to use a heavy chelater. I'm usually a little extra tangly for about 24 hours after I clarify, but it subsides and is much happier after. I simply put it up and leave it up. HTH. :flower: