PDA

View Full Version : So what's the ideal features of hair in general?

Gamber_747
March 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I mean what are considered the "best" features in all the different categories like texture, volume, straightness or lack of, colour, softness etc??

I know it would vary with individual preferences and face cut. I think pretty much all would agree that thick volume is preferable under all circumstances.

The preference of shape would vary, I personally like straight hair with slight waves.

Colour would again vary, I prefer deep black.

Softness I am not sure, dry hair obviously are not likable but how silky would be the "perfect" mix? Too soft hair can be a chore to keep a fixed style with like spikes on men.

As for texture well I dont really know what would be the best. People say that normal texture >>> coarse >>> fine. I do find the fact that wind doesnt make coarse hair go out of place to be an advantage of coarse hair as I dont have to use ultra strong styling products to keep them fixed. But I guess the cons far outweight the pros.

So what are YOUR ideal hair features?

BrightEyes7
March 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Straight... like 1a

Dark Chocolate Brown

Course and thick (C/iii)

And of course very soft. Like silk!

Beets
March 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Truthfully, I love seeing hair that is loved, hair that obviously brings joy to its wearer's life and that communicates something of the essence of the person who takes care of it, regardless of every single other quality. This could be a little wisp of a dutch braid on a 90 year old's crown or a dense, fluffy poof enveloping a 12 year old's face.

Akiko
March 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
If my hair would detangle itself, that would be my ideal.... :)

Other than that, I love healthy hair. I like different colors and texture, straight, wavy or curly on others. But on me, it has to be black and straight. Other colors and texture just did not suit me.

Gamber_747
March 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Straight... like 1a

Dark Chocolate Brown

Course and thick (C/iii)

And of course very soft. Like silk!Arent coarse hair generally very wavy and dry? Doesnt that make coarse an unwanted feature?

Darian Moone
March 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The ideal hair feature is health. :)

TXbarbie
March 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
To be honest, I just really loveee blonde hair. It must be because every girl in my family has cornsilk blonde hair, and then they get a little darker blonde with time. It's just such a light, playful hair color and it picks up the sunlight really well.

But I also love long, silky-to-the-touch hair. When I CO I use so much conditioner that my hair is slippery feeling the rest of the day.

And straight. It just makes hair look longer, healthier, catches light better, and looks great with any outfit :)

But overall hair should be healthy and treated well!

LucyHope
March 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm biased toward thick, healthy hair. Healthy i and ii hair can be nice too, but if I had to pick, I'd stick with my iii... :p

If I got to design my hair from scratch, it would be long, straight-with-body-wave, thick, and I still can't make up my mind between black, dark red, strawberry blonde, or beeyootiful warm medium brown. :inlove:

At the end of the day, though, I firmly believe it comes down to two things:

Health and grooming. :D

ravenreed
March 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Actually, I don't agree thick is better. I have medium thickness and if my hair was thicker, I would not be able to keep growing as some hairstyles are already too heavy.

I have a friend with very short hair who once had hair my length or a bit longer. She cut it because her hair is very thick and she couldn't take the daily headaches from the weight of her own hair. I will keep my medium thickness and be grateful. :)

snip

I know it would vary with individual preferences and face cut. I think pretty much all would agree that thick volume is preferable under all circumstances.

snip

Gamber_747
March 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Wait are you talking about overall volume or individual thickness?

ravenreed
March 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
If you are asking me, I mean over all volume. Too much of a good thing gets danged heavy!

Kirry-Folk
March 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Personally, I don't believe there is a "best." Everyone has different preferences and people with all colors, textures, volume and shine can have beautiful hair.

The practice of defining what constitutes "ideal" hair indirectly sends out the message, "That which does not match the ideal is inferior." And that isn't exactly the healthiest of attitudes to have, particularly if one doesn't even possess the characteristics that one deems "ideal."

:redgrin: Cheers to all heads of hair everywhere! :cheese:

LucyHope
March 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Actually, I don't agree thick is better. I have medium thickness and if my hair was thicker, I would not be able to keep growing as some hairstyles are already too heavy

That seems to vary from person to person. Speaking as someone who has had very thick hair (volume, i.e. iii) down to hip length, I never had hair-weight issues, no matter how I tied it up. I know of others who cut at BSL because of weight headaches...

I guess OMMV...

Toadstool
March 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
my hair is very coarse and thick and I have always wanted it finer.
I don't think there is an "ideal" hair type.

Zarafay Torath
March 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Personally, I don't believe there is a "best." Everyone has different preferences and people with all colors, textures, volume and shine can have beautiful hair.

The practice of defining what constitutes "ideal" hair indirectly sends out the message, "That which does not match the ideal is inferior." And that isn't exactly the healthiest of attitudes to have, particularly if one doesn't even possess the characteristics that one deems "ideal."

That was very eloquently stated. :) I agree completely!

IndigoAsh
March 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I love my hair, and if it were not layered and about a foot longer it'd be my ideal. Working on that though.

walterSCAN
March 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Agreed.

Now, my answer for my head!

Ideally, my hair would be 3a/3b, F, iii and would grow out of my head deepest brown. Also, while I'm dreaming, it would already be TB length and grow 1.5"/month. :eyebrows:

rags
March 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I think pretty much all would agree that thick volume is preferable under all circumstances.

Really? I don't.

Actually, she said it much better than I could.

Leena7
March 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Soft hair. It doesn't matter if it is curly, wavy, straight, short, long, black, blonde, brown, red or blue. As long as it feels nice, it is desirable to me.

Aer
March 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Just generally healthy hair. Personally, I would want dark brown to soft black, but my complexion wouldn't hold well with that. I would like stronger hair though. I have personal favorites of certain colors, not for me, just over all. I'm partial to auburns, white blond, gold or honey blond tawny, chocolate, all grays enchant me, sable, coffee, and black. I guess all them honestly.

Rhiannon7
March 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
My ideal hair would be 3A (spirals.) iii and very soft. i know i am going against my hair type, but always loved and wanted curly/spirals and thicker hair that is classic length or longer. meaning classic when curly.

Lamb
March 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM
The ideal hair feature is health. :)

Yup. :agree:

christine1989
March 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ideally I like thick hair, dark brown or black, frizz free and with some waves.

CaityBear
March 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I honestly love a lot of hair. Some people have very gorgeous curly hair, some have gorgeous stick-straight hair.

Personally though, I would only want slightly wavy hair, some thickness (not really thick, just sort of), silky soft of course, and red! :)

guccixx
March 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Nice volume, not too thick nor thin...super shiny and soft looking. The kind of hair that you want to touch. Healthy looking in general...

Cinnamon Hair
March 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Best, as in capable of growing to super long lengths, I think would be coarse hair that is relatively tangle free because it can take a lot of abuse. Coarse hair is usually not silky. For thickness, I think medium thickness or slightly thick hair would be preferred to very thick hair, since it would be easier to wear updos on thinner hair, but too thin and horizontal volume becomes a problem. Color would not matter, but generally coarse hair is dark brown or black, usually Asian hair. Straight texture or wavy would be best, since curls are prone to breakage and it takes longer to grow curly hair because the curls take up length.

littlemoon
March 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM
of course i agree that healthy, moisturized, cared for hair that can be itself is the best hair of all, but if we are being vein then... ;)

my ideal hair would be a light golden blonde, 3A and thick. this is probably because my hair is so dark, it would take mass amounts of dying to get it blonde, and im wishing the grass is greener on my side :)

tralalalara
March 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ideal hair, according to me, meaning the hair that looks most healthy and beautiful in MY mind, would be blonde curly hair. Like, a 3a or 3b spiral, not too tight. =] I wish mine would do just that without any urging with moisturizers or scrunching...

I just think blonde hair looks bright and beautiful and it looks even better in curls because it can catch more light from more directions that way.

I'm not saying I want everyone like that. just me. ^.^

Teacherbear
March 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I can't answer that question. It is like looking at the art work in the National Gallery of Art (http://www.nga.gov/)and asking which piece of art someone thinks is the most popular.

I could pick my favorite piece of art (or head of hair) from one hall or artist (or group of people who are gathered together), but not from the entire gallery (world).

ericthegreat
March 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
All hair types are beautiful :flower:

There is no one hair type or one hair colour that is the "perfect" kind of hair, because all types hair can be made to look beautiful. I enjoy seeing everything from pin straight sleek hair like mine, to springy curls, sexy waves, braids, dreadlocks, short hair, very long hair, and I see the beauty in all kinds of hair colours.

Lykaios
March 10th, 2010, 02:51 AM
My personal preference would be healthy, damage free hair :)

I like it pretty much how it is now, but I would probably change the colour to a nice copper red shade or strawberry blonde.

countryhopper
March 10th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Ok, I like what the pp said about dreaming up your own hair from scratch so my hair would be:

Dark rich chocolate brown (maybe a cross between dark chocolate and milk chocolate? can you tell I like chocolate? :D ). it would have gold and deep red highlights (henna red!) in the sun (Ok, maybe I really need a chameleon! lol)

Classic length, with HUGE loose curls that are soft and silky, about medium texture, but with a lot of volume. That tosses over my shoulder in slow motion...

Ok. back to earth. :D Have you noticed a lot of us straighties want curls, and many curlies want straight? funny...

Agreed. Healthy hair is beautiful hair

brunette
March 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I think everyone has things they like and things they dislike about their own hair. I used to want curlier hair but I can see the drawbacks. I used to wish my hair were not superfine in texture, but I would miss certain aspects like the softness and the way it snakes in a breeze.
I can see the pros and cons of other hairtypes I guess but every head of hair is beautiful in it's own way!

Felix_D
March 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM
My ideal hair would be APL or longer, firey red (like a first henna application) with big, bouncy, beautiful ringlets, no frizz, and lots of shine.

*Sigh*.

JenniferNoel
March 10th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Midnight black, 1a, C, i. :magic:
On my own head, I love my own hair texture. I just wish the thing would grow an inch a day. LOL.

Pixna
March 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I can't answer that question. It is like looking at the art work in the National Gallery of Art (http://www.nga.gov/)and asking which piece of art someone thinks is the most popular.

I could pick my favorite piece of art (or head of hair) from one hall or artist (or group of people who are gathered together), but not from the entire gallery (world).

I couldn't have said it better! I love all types of hair -- regardless of color, texture, or volume. As long as it's healthy, I'm a fan!! :D

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
OP, you were absolutely right when you said that it is down to personal preference. I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I would imagine that quite a few of the "thick volume" members will be or have already chimed in that they wouldn't mind NOT having some of the problems that come from having such thick hair.

Most of the time it's a grass-is-greener kind of thinking. Thin and straight hairs envy the thick and curly....the thick and curly envy the moderate and wavy...the moderate and wavy admire the thin and straight. And the comparisons go on.

It's plain and simple, human nature. What's "ideal" to us is most of the time whatever we haven't got. ;)

bumblebums
March 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I think this is pretty well covered in this thread.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40593

metalgypsy85
March 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Dark, long, wavy, thick, and shiny. That's what my dream hair is. Is it possible on my head? Not really, but I can deal with what I have, lol.

MandaMom2Three
March 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If I could have any hair I wanted it would be THICK, shiny, wavy, DARK brown and silky :crush:

IcarusBride
March 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
My ideal hair is loooong (of course!) and pin-strait and a little thicker than my hair actually is, but not unmanageable, just not see-through. I'm hoping I can make it!!

myrrhmaiden
March 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
It's all relative.

Beets
March 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM

:D Cheers!

OP, maybe you meant favorite? Personal preference? Ideal and best seem to be hitting some buttons...

Sissy
March 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Straight... like 1a

Dark Chocolate Brown

Course and thick (C/iii)

And of course very soft. Like silk!

Yep, that's mine too... dark brown, almost black, straight, classic length or thigh length, even hemline and thick!

Aero
March 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
There is no ideal hair!

NickalNack
March 10th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I notice a common pattern in general reactions that the longer, straighter, and shinier the better. Bright colors are generally a plus, but jet black also attracts a lot of attention.

Well, this is more of a guess than anything...

I tend to get frustrated in knowing that because my hair is in afro form, that automatically changes the way people perceive the kind of person I am. Like I'm "one of the guys", despite being a very shy and timid person by nature. It's like, they approach me more because I guess I don't come off as a prissy, high-maintenance type (and I'm not, though I'm not saying a girl is just because she has long, flowing hair), but that's really all I am to them. Not really a "girl" but not a tomboy either. But these are just high school boys I'm talking about here. I'm pretty sure things may change a bit as I get older and travel a bit. I do live in a southern, predominantly white area after all.

ravenreed
March 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I always say that if I could have any hair, mine would be holographic.

cupcakes
March 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The original question is problematic. People saying they want their own hair to be this that or the other, OK fine that's a preference. But when people say the best hair ever on anybody is xyz, you're setting yourself up for some serious racism charges. The best hair a Japanese woman can grow is obviously going to be very different from a Kenyan woman, a Norse woman, and so on. And while we might like (for example) long black hair on asian women, there aren't going to be very many asian men who want to have a similar 'do... and so there's some sexism problems also.
I will say this. The "ideal" hair that which is healthy, free of damage, and makes the wearer happy. I love to see squiggly natural curls on black women, but then again Michelle Obama's straightened hair looks pretty rad too. And what about those Japanese women with natural brown hair? Looks pretty hot! And pixie cuts can be hella cute, especially in light colors like grey and strawberry. The point is this. You have what you have, make the most of it.

gmdiaz
March 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I think for hair to be "ideal" to me. .it's really got to be long. As long as it CAN physically grow and be healthy.

But long or short, I so appreciate all the different hair "types". . .each one can, with the right care, look beautiful to me. Love all the colors and textures.

Is my hair ideal. . .ur, no. Not yet. But if I ever could get "there". . .in this magical happy hair place. . I'd see luxurious locks that were soft, clean, healthy and strong.

09robiha
March 11th, 2010, 04:46 AM
To me, all hair is beautiful. Granted i like slightly thicker hair, but that is purely beacuse i would like more of my own. I typical case of wanting what i cant have!!
Also, I adore curly hair but sleek straight hair fasinates me as i know i will never get my curly mane that straight!!
I find blonde, brown, red and black hair all fantastic for differant reasons.

For Myself i would like perfect 3a/b spirals that are ALL THE SAME on my head instead of my 2b/2c/3a mix and to be a natural redhead instead of dying and whilst i am dreaming how about being instantly at classic length too. :eyebrows: pretty please??!!!

Lady_C_longhair
March 11th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Long, thick, coarse, not too oily hair with slight waves. I LOVE red and black hair, so if I had to choose a color as well...:) Ah, and I would want the hair to start lower on my forehead, because I dislike it and I'm a bit tired of having bangs.

countryhopper
March 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I notice a common pattern in general reactions that the longer, straighter, and shinier the better. Bright colors are generally a plus, but jet black also attracts a lot of attention.

Well, this is more of a guess than anything...

I tend to get frustrated in knowing that because my hair is in afro form, that automatically changes the way people perceive the kind of person I am. Like I'm "one of the guys", despite being a very shy and timid person by nature. It's like, they approach me more because I guess I don't come off as a prissy, high-maintenance type (and I'm not, though I'm not saying a girl is just because she has long, flowing hair), but that's really all I am to them. Not really a "girl" but not a tomboy either. But these are just high school boys I'm talking about here. I'm pretty sure things may change a bit as I get older and travel a bit. I do live in a southern, predominantly white area after all.

I LOVE to see women with your hair type have springy ringlets! it's ok if they're afro--ringlets exploding everywhere "restrained" back with a cute scarf tied as a headband is awesome!! I love it! But beware... beautiful ringlets attract people like me who like to pull one and make it "boing"! :D

Gamber_747
March 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
The original question is problematic. People saying they want their own hair to be this that or the other, OK fine that's a preference. But when people say the best hair ever on anybody is xyz, you're setting yourself up for some serious racism charges. The best hair a Japanese woman can grow is obviously going to be very different from a Kenyan woman, a Norse woman, and so on. And while we might like (for example) long black hair on asian women, there aren't going to be very many asian men who want to have a similar 'do... and so there's some sexism problems also.
I will say this. The "ideal" hair that which is healthy, free of damage, and makes the wearer happy. I love to see squiggly natural curls on black women, but then again Michelle Obama's straightened hair looks pretty rad too. And what about those Japanese women with natural brown hair? Looks pretty hot! And pixie cuts can be hella cute, especially in light colors like grey and strawberry. The point is this. You have what you have, make the most of it.Huh how? You are mixing lookism with racsim.

By best we mean here "most attractive" like if I say that straight hair are the BEST than that means that they are most attractive. It doesnt mean that someone with straight hair becomes "superior" in any other way to someone who doesnt have them.

To describe particular physical features as "best" is not racism in any form.

Toadstool
March 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
My own personal favourite hair belongs to my 5 year old niece - hip length natural golden ringlets. I would adore to have her hair!

Kirry-Folk
March 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Huh how? You are mixing lookism with racsim.

By best we mean here "most attractive" like if I say that straight hair are the BEST than that means that they are most attractive. It doesnt mean that someone with straight hair becomes "superior" in any other way to someone who doesnt have them.

To describe particular physical features as "best" is not racism in any form.

If one chooses to subscribe to the belief that a particular characteristic is "the most attractive" that is quite loudly dismissing anything that doesn't fit that bill as "not being as attractive." Therefore, that which does not possess the exact characteristics of desired attributes has become inferior in the eyes of that individual.

Whether or not one chooses to ascribe these particular terms (inferior/superior) is a matter of preference, but this is, in essence, what the practice of using "best" and "ideal" to describe what he/she favors boils down to.

Racism is the wrong term to slap to this behavior of indirectly discriminating against physical attributes that are not the ideal of the beholder, but in general it's fairly destructive and offensive.

"Straight, thick, and dark hair is the best and most attractive type of hair one could possibly have! I think this is the most beautiful, so let us revere those with this type of hair!"

If we were to replace "hair" with other physical attributes with coinciding descriptors of the attribute, that would be even less acceptable, though, of course it happens. Generally not here on LHC, but what is appropriate and healthy about saying "This is the best!" when there are so many different people with different beliefs and ideals?

:rolleyes: I possess (insert hair type, color, length) but I truly love afros, waves, ringlets, skinny ponytails and thick ponytails, blue hair, black hair, red hair, blonde hair, brown hair, yellow hair, purple hair, henna-ed hair, and every sort of hair. I think most everyone at LHC can appreciate hair for how unique it can be and how gene expression manifests itself in such a wonderful array of colors and textures.

Gamber_747
March 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
If one chooses to subscribe to the belief that a particular characteristic is "the most attractive" that is quite loudly dismissing anything that doesn't fit that bill as "not being as attractive." Therefore, that which does not possess the exact characteristics of desired attributes has become inferior in the eyes of that individual.

Whether or not one chooses to ascribe these particular terms (inferior/superior) is a matter of preference, but this is, in essence, what the practice of using "best" and "ideal" to describe what he/she favors boils down to.

Racism is the wrong term to slap to this behavior of indirectly discriminating against physical attributes that are not the ideal of the beholder, but in general it's fairly destructive and offensive.

"Straight, thick, and dark hair is the best and most attractive type of hair one could possibly have! I think this is the most beautiful, so let us revere those with this type of hair!"

If we were to replace "hair" with other physical attributes with coinciding descriptors of the attribute, that would be even less acceptable, though, of course it happens. Generally not here on LHC, but what is appropriate and healthy about saying "This is the best!" when there are so many different people with different beliefs and ideals?

:rolleyes: I possess (insert hair type, color, length) but I truly love afros, waves, ringlets, skinny ponytails and thick ponytails, blue hair, black hair, red hair, blonde hair, brown hair, yellow hair, purple hair, henna-ed hair, and every sort of hair. I think most everyone at LHC can appreciate hair for how unique it can be and how gene expression manifests itself in such a wonderful array of colors and textures.If the world would become so politically correct then we would never know where we stand. Accurate knowledge is more important than having delusions of how you look, being realistic will make it more probable that you are going to fulfill your goals and dreams in life...

I am a 5"5 guy, if it were like you are suggesting then nobody would say that a short guy is less attractive than a taller guy keeping all variables constant. I would much rather live a life where I realise fully that my height is a significant shortcoming than to live in a delusion that it doesnt matter. Sooner or later reality is going to strike you anyways.

The world has become too sensitive and politically correct about racsim, why does nobody get offended about short guys being generally called less attractive? Because this particular trait doesnt seem to vary that much with race so nobody cares even though it can have an equally damaging effect than lets say "people with X skin colour are less attractive"...

Kirry-Folk
March 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
If the world would become so politically correct then we would never know where we stand. Accurate knowledge is more important than having delusions of how you look, being realistic will make it more probable that you are going to fulfill your goals and dreams in life...

I am a 5"5 guy, if it were like you are suggesting then nobody would say that a short guy is less attractive than a taller guy keeping all variables constant. I would much rather live a life where I realise fully that my height is a significant shortcoming than to live in a delusion that it doesnt matter. Sooner or later reality is going to strike you anyways.

The world has become too sensitive and politically correct about racsim, why does nobody get offended about short guys being generally called less attractive? Because this particular trait doesnt seem to vary that much with race so nobody cares even though it can have an equally damaging effect than lets say "people with X skin colour are less attractive"...

If we can maintain a peaceful discussion, that would be excellent, so I'll bite until this can't be discussed openly any longer.

Frankly, I can't see my viewpoints as being constructed on the grounds of political correctness, but rather tolerance and promoting the belief that all people can have their own ideals and still remain appreciative of what diverges from what they value.

If this garnier commercial comes on, and it features a woman with long straight shiny black hair, should I envy that? Not really, considering her hair is just so completely different from my own that I can't be bothered to idolize something that is completely unattainable for me. This is why they make the half-arsed attempt to showcase people with several different types of hair (albeit heavily processed both physically with cones and with CG imaging) until the woman pops up with hair that MINE may feasibly resemble if I buy the product...

It's simply a matter of manipulation that exists to push product. How many of us wavy/curly haired people straightened our hair EVERY DAY as teenagers? ;) I can imagine there are plenty of us. The reason for this is because somewhere along the line something influenced us to believe that the opposite of what we possessed was considered "better."

The topic of a man's stature is not relevant to this thread and so I can only say I am truly sorry that your life experiences thus far have caused you to believe that you are inferior to another simply because of your height. :shrug: My very own SO of five years is your exact height and he has yet to receive the memo that a person cannot find him attractive due to his "shortcoming."

GoddesJourney
March 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I absolutely adore dark, C/iii+ hair. This is great in stick straight hair and also in that glorious "wild woman" hair. Think Asian, Indian, Hispanic, Native American... Princess Jasmine, Esmeralda?

Gamber_747
March 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
If we can maintain a peaceful discussion, that would be excellent, so I'll bite until this can't be discussed openly any longer.

Frankly, I can't see my viewpoints as being constructed on the grounds of political correctness, but rather tolerance and promoting the belief that all people can have their own ideals and still remain appreciative of what diverges from what they value.

If this garnier commercial comes on, and it features a woman with long straight shiny black hair, should I envy that? Not really, considering her hair is just so completely different from my own that I can't be bothered to idolize something that is completely unattainable for me. This is why they make the half-arsed attempt to showcase people with several different types of hair (albeit heavily processed both physically with cones and with CG imaging) until the woman pops up with hair that MINE may feasibly resemble if I buy the product...

It's simply a matter of manipulation that exists to push product. How many of us wavy/curly haired people straightened our hair EVERY DAY as teenagers? ;) I can imagine there are plenty of us. The reason for this is because somewhere along the line something influenced us to believe that the opposite of what we possessed was considered "better."

The topic of a man's stature is not relevant to this thread and so I can only say I am truly sorry that your life experiences thus far have caused you to believe that you are inferior to another simply because of your height. :shrug: My very own SO of five years is your exact height and he has yet to receive the memo that a person cannot find him attractive due to his "shortcoming."I think you are taking things differently. I dont consider myself inferior just because of my height but I know that it is a less desirable trait. I have some good feaures and some not so good ones, it's important to know it in my opinion.

You also seem to think beauty is entirely subjective which is something I dont really agree with.

Btw I have been called attractive several times, you are again as I said taking it too absolutely. I never meant to say that a short guy can never ever be attractive end of story, it's just that it's an undesirable trait but there are not many people who dont possess atleast one undesirable physical trait so just because I dont find a particular trait to be good doesnt meant that I wont like anyone who posseses it. The same is the case with the features I deem good.

I also think the internet is a great place to have open discussions on such sensitive issues.

Katurday
March 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well, in my culture, the ideal hair is long, shiny, mostly straight with slight flips and curls near the bottom, iii, M/C. I sometimes feel like I have ideal hair, and while its a bit of an ego boost, I'm happy, so what!

Syaoransbear
March 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Long, straight, or straight with a slight wave, strong pigment, shiny, fine, iii.

Bellona
March 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I think some of the other iii people here might not go with super thick as "ideal." I know I wouldn't. My hair is also coarse and lacks shine, so I'd have to go with the following.

2a or 2b/fine/ii
I pretty much like all the colors, but my dream hair would be dark red/auburn.

ETA: after reading a few other posts here, I'd just like to clarify that that description is only what I'd like to change my own hair too if I could choose. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with my own hair or anyone else's. I quite enjoy seeing variety here, and on myself too (which is probably how I got myself into this mess of growing and dying and cutting, haha!)