PDA

View Full Version : Does it look as bad as I think it does?

myotislucifugus
March 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've been trying to not trim for a year, and this weekend will make one year. Trouble is, my hair seems so thin to me lately, and while it feels good, it is riddled with splits. It doesn't seem to matter how many S&Ds I do I just get more splits. My scissors are still pretty new, so I don't think it is dullness doing more damage, I just feel like my hair is thin and ugly. I feel like my hair looks all scraggly, and just looks... ugh. I've recently switched from olive oil to coconut oil, and that seems to have helped some, but I just feel so blah. I don't want to cut. I just want thicker hair.

Does anyone think cutting back to waist will be helpful? There are splits all up the length, which is normal (it's in moderation), I just, I dunno. Blech. I feel like I really take good care of my hair, using shampoo bars, nice water to rinse, always oiling, comb for the most part except for my BBB before washes. It's always up, and I sleep in a hair safe updo.

Is there anything I can do to make it better?:mad::(:p:rolleyes::poot: and for the heck of it:cheese:

redwoman
March 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Waist would be a lot of hair, how about an inch? You'd be amazed at what a little trim can do for you.

heidihug
March 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I took a look at your album, and, honestly, I think your hair is lovely. You have fairy-tale ends, like I do. Everyone (well near everyone, anyway) has at least a little bit of damage to their hair. I tend not to believe those that swear they have no splits, no dryness.

It sounds to me like this might be more about how you feel about your hair than your hair itself. You seem to have a haircare routine that works for you. Perhaps it's time for a little micro-trim - take off less than .25 of an inch? That always helps mine feel a little thicker. And perhaps some new hair toys? Or try some new buns or braids?

Hope you are able to get out of the unhappy and move towards the enjoyment of your pretty hair.

restourceful
March 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Waist would be a lot of hair, how about an inch? You'd be amazed at what a little trim can do for you.

Mmm, hmm. I agree with redwoman. :agree: Rather than one big chop which you may or may not be happy with, why not go at it with small trims if you really feel you must? You can always trim more later if you feel you need it but you can't put back what you've trimmed if you take more than you really need to.

ETA: After rereading, my "mmm, hmm" is agreement with redwoman, not an answer to your question "does my hair look as bad as I think it does." Your hair looks good to me.

Rhiannon7
March 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
You have beautiful hair, nice fairy tails and lovely color. i agree a micro trim of no more than 1 inch might help the blah feeling. it does not look bad, i guess it's that moment in the growth when you just need a little change, just a little. like some say here, a tiny 1 inch trim might help, some new toys or updos can help also. i felt the same way when i reached TBL and was so unhappy with how my hair started breaking and looked so damaged and dry ( i tried it all, CO, CWC, SMT, Oiling, etc. and nothing helped in my opinion.) i simply got up from the computer and cut the braid off, then had my cousin even the hemline. i cried after i did it, but ignored the 2 week rule and simply cut.

take a breath, have patience and cut 1 inch, then wait a month, give extra care and moisturizing and after that month decide if you need to cut more or not.

Good luck and let us know what you decide please.

Shicurls
March 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I would agree with those above. Just microtrim it. Your hair is beautiful to me and I think a microtrim might make you feel batter about it.

Centelleo
March 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I don't think it looks bad at all.

A trim might be beneficial but like heidihug said, I think this is more about how you feel about your hair rather than your hair itself. Cutting to waist length seems extreme but how do you feel about a 2" allover trim? I know it seems like you would be losing quite a bit of length but think of it as a sacrifice for the greater good of your hair since the frequent S&Ds are not helping. If that's no longer an option, try relaxing or even switching up your routine a bit. What kind of shampoo bars are you using? Is it possible they could they be too moisturizing, which would weigh your hair down? Have you tried a catnip rinse for the split ends? Maybe a weak ACV rinse to close the cuticle and add some shine and volume?

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well....

I did as of yesterday have the same thing as you - splits and dryness in spite of a good routine. I have chalked it up to the current weather situation that involved drying winds. They kind of did the deed for my ends this time. So - I trimmed back to tailbone. I admit, it feels weird and strange but also reviving. I say, trim half an inch. Do a deep treatment. Wait a week. If you still are unhappy, take another half an inch off. Or something like that, you may want to take off a smaller amount.

spidermom
March 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
If you really hate the way your hair looks, I think there is very little point to trying to tough through this for the sake of length. Get it trimmed. I don't think you have to go all the way back to waist length, but if it were up to me, I'd take off 2 inches at least.

But I'm coming from this perspective - I really think that even, thick ends enhance the beauty of hair. Yes, fairy tale ends can be beautiful, too. If you were happy with them, I'd never tell you to trim. But since you're not happy, I think it's time for a change.

I get mine trimmed every 3-4 months, about 1/2 inch per trim, although in January I had it cut back 4 inches because of dryness and split ends. I don't regret it one tiny bit. My hair is easier to deal with, and I like the way it looks.

wtchmel
March 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM
your hair looks beautiful, we're always our own worse enemy when it comes to our looks/hair. if you want to 'thicken' it up, get a 1-2 inch trim, i think you'll be suprised at how much better you'll feel and how much thicker your hair will feel as well.;)

Deborah
March 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
If you really hate the way your hair looks, I think there is very little point to trying to tough through this for the sake of length. Get it trimmed. I don't think you have to go all the way back to waist length, but if it were up to me, I'd take off 2 inches at least.

But I'm coming from this perspective - I really think that even, thick ends enhance the beauty of hair. Yes, fairy tale ends can be beautiful, too. If you were happy with them, I'd never tell you to trim. But since you're not happy, I think it's time for a change...

Yep, what she said.

myotislucifugus
March 10th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I think spidermom is right. I think I'm just unhappy with my fairytale ends, and want to thicken up a bit. I think I'll take off an inch, and then if it still feels blah to me, another inch. I think fairy tale ends can look good on some people, just not me, not right now.

I'll blunt up my ends a little and see if that helps. Thanks y'all!:p

embee
March 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Sounds like a plan! :) Just remember, it's probably not really as bad as you think. We are very severe critics of ourselves.

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
The small trim is a good idea! I hope you find it helps you to feel good about your hair again - it's what you want that counts, not anyone else. And I agree - fairytale ends have a beauty all their own, but if you're not happy with yours, then you should get to your happy place. Good luck! :flower:

Tangles
March 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Another vote for 2" off. Since the ends are thin relative to the rest of your hair, you will hardly notice a difference in overall length.

Isilme
March 10th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Trim just an inch or two. In a year or two or when you have reached classic two inches aren't very important. (Can you tell I'm a bit tired of my own hair right now?;))

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Myotislucifugus, you should try not to comb your hair as often, I rarely comb or brush my hair and it remains less damaged then when I used to brush and comb. I do that once a month now..

Also..if you want thicker hair, with less spits..you should try to trim it at least 3 inches at the least, because once you have a ton of splits it's hard for the hair to grow and be healthy since the hair will continue to split all the way up..

As for the shampooing and conditioning, try to do it only 2 times a week, and one tip: I use the mane n tail shamp. and cond...it makes my hair thicker, shinier, softer. Maybe it will work for you as well! :)