PDA

View Full Version : Show us your bedtime buns!

sibiryachka
March 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Rather than hijack deviantkittens new-fork thread, I thought I'd start a fresh one following this trail. If you wear your hair in a bun for bed, what do you use to secure it? Where do you place it? Give us specifics! I tried it for the first time last night - I like bun waves so much better than braid waves - but couldn't make it happen.

Teazel
March 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Here's mine! I like a nautilus bun on the crown of my head, secured with a short homemade hairstick.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=38632&albumid=2415&dl=1241675772&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=38632)
(Thumbnail is clickable for larger picture.)

It stays in most of the time. Sometimes it falls apart in the early hours of the morning, but that's no big problem. :)

Carrie Ingalls
March 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Sure, I pretty much just wear whatever updo I had for the day (log roll, inside out bun, failed figure eight), unless it was a bun with a tail, in which case I would put it up in one of the aforementioned updos.

For the log roll I usually use five 3" bunheads hairpins (I haven't really worn it much since the summer). The pins are arranged like an upright star or like this :grouphug: if you were to view it from the top.

For the inside out bun I generally use five 3.5" bunheads hairpins (my fork is a little short to hold this bun). The pins for this are arranged like an upside-down star or :grouphug: viewed from the bottom.

For my failed figure eight I use my four prong 60th street fork (I can't remember the prong length, aprox 5" I think) and one 3.5" bunheads hairpin. The fork goes in on the right angling diagonally to the left and the pin goes in on the left angling diagonally to the right.

Toys that have failed the sleeping test are:
Hair sticks (at least the ones I have are too long to sleep comfortably and I don’t want to break them).
Ficcare Maximas L, it caught hair in the back part (near the spring) and pulled like crazy.

Now admittedly those are two toys I have not invested much time into trying to master, so, I am not very good with them yet.

paperwhite
March 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't have any pictures right now (I'm awful at taking them of my own head and I'm home alone :shrug: ), but if I wear a bun to bed, it's always the Gibraltar Bun with a set of 5 inch Quattro Starlites. It usually holds up pretty well and there's nothing to snag or break.

Kristin
March 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
When I wear buns to bed (cause let's face it, most nights it's a lazy English braid), I wear either one or two Cinnabuns. If I wear two, I just part it down the middle and make the buns quite high so they don't bug me. I use Good Days hair pins. And I agree- bun waves are WAY better than braid waves.

Beets
March 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I tend to fall asleep in the day's updo, too, but when I'm paying attention, I either do a low sleep braid, or lately, a high cinnabun held with a satin scrunchy or a medium Ketylo. But the Ketylo has slid out before, so I prefer the scrunchy.

motormuffin
March 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I have a fear of sleeping with pointy things. I think I have some of those good day pins to try...they might not be so bad. I'm a wreck in the morning no matter what I try.

Rhiannon7
March 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I normally wear a braid to bed, but when i do wear buns, this is the one i use to sleep.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4421274172_81dbf781f6_m.jpg

It's messy and just held with a scrunchie, can't sleep with forks or sticks or anything that can pinch me. the bun usually falls by morning so i normally just wear a braid to sleep. for me it's more comfy and less pulling. will have to see how i feel once my hair gets to classic.

ravenreed
March 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have tried all sorts of top of the head buns and they pull no matter what method I use to secure them. I am stuck with bed-time french braiding for now.

vindo
March 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
A lazy wrap bun:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b2U-2Uet0mw/S5brCCLLrsI/AAAAAAAAGJY/8L8hvGse3_g/s144/IMG_0233.JPG

renarok
March 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I often do what my DH has named my 'devil horns', or 'beelzebuns'.

I do two fairly snug beebutt buns on top affixed firmly. I like the waves that I get the next day.

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Awww, thanks sibiryachka! I have often pondered this question myself- braid, or bun? I just kind of doing whatever I feel like that night. I do love bun waves more than braid waves, but as ravenhead mentioned, mine tend to pull, and if i make the bun/s looser, it falls out. Lately, I have been doing a very loose braid just because it is quicker and just does the job. When I make a bun, not only do i have trouble getting the tension that will work but not hurt, but I find myself trying to make it perfect, which can take several attempts LOL.
I don't think I would ever sleep with a fork. Tho I can achieve a perfectly snug yet comfortable bun, with my luck it would break the first night LOL, and this fork is just too precious to me to have it break on me.
I do have a question tho, for those who answer this thread from this point on, do you thing one style is less damaging than the other? The original poster was so kind as to not hijack my thread, but I am sure alot of ppl would love to hear the answers, and may decide to change their nightime hairstyle. I mean, i wear my hair in a braid, but if someone said that was the worst hairstyle to wear at night, I would want to bun my hair from that point on.
Thanks sibiryachka! Great thread. I have been thinking about this myself!

countryhopper
March 10th, 2010, 03:08 AM

I do two fairly snug beebutt buns on top affixed firmly. I like the waves that I get the next day.

That's hilarious!!

Last night I slept in socks to get snake waves (or z waves). There's an article about it in the articles section at the top of the page.

Anyhow, I used knee socks to do them with, and ended up with 4 thick "horns" sticking out! The waves this orning were gorgeous, though...

Sorry, you asked about buns, but my hair is still too short than to do anything other that make a loop or two on the top of my head with a scrunchie

sibiryachka
March 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM

...beelzebuns...:p

RecklessCharlie
March 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
That's hilarious!!

Last night I slept in socks to get snake waves (or z waves). There's an article about it in the articles section at the top of the page.
Very curious about how you utilized the socks in this :) I know of snake/z waves using a scarf but I've never heard of using socks before. Did you actually put the socks over the hair??

MandaMom2Three
March 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I've tried sleeping in buns, but then my hair wants to stand upright when I wake up :p . I'll just stick to braiding. At least until it's long enough to weigh itself down :rolleyes:

motormuffin
March 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I tried two buns last night with my good day pins...not so bad. I used two pins on each bun. I was in a hurry when I got up to take the kid to school and forgot to take them out. No wonder I got so many strange looks...

Tarja Sky
March 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Most of the time I just do two braids in my hair. I make sometimes a bun with a snood over it but very often the snood is lost during the night and so it the bun :rolleyes:

nowxisxforever
March 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I don't have a photo, but generally I leave my hair in a knot when I get home, and it kind of loosens itself up over time so that the knot sits (rather tightly and comfily and sturdily) at about my bra strap. I just flip it over my pillow (so the bun weighs my hair down and sits on the other side of my pillow) and it stays there.

Other nights I just leave my hair loose, but it's always flipped over my pillow.

BonnyJ
March 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I can't stand sleeping in buns as they pull so I also sleep with 2 braids.

Feli
March 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Sorry, a slight hijack here, but I'm really curious as to whether you all get bun waves when bunning dry hair? If I bun dry hair I get no waves whatsoever. I always assumed my hair was just too heavy. I get slight waves when braiding dry hair, but nothing like when I braid damp hair. Damp bunning takes ages and ages to dry, so mostly, when I let my hair down, it's still damp and I still don't get waves. Always wondered why so many people on LHC rave about bun waves when I've never been able to get them!

countryhopper
March 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Very curious about how you utilized the socks in this :) I know of snake/z waves using a scarf but I've never heard of using socks before. Did you actually put the socks over the hair??

Yes! I used long knee socks- folded them over the section of hair and braided them. I like to use them because after braiding the whole thing, I can use the sock's elastic to fold the ends of my hair/sock together. No bands!

I also use socks to do rag curls in a sleep in them. I use the same knee socks but fold them in half, roll up my hair, and feed the toe/top elastic part through the folded loop to make a slip knot.

Who would have known beautiful curls and waves can be done using SOCKS??!! :D

sibiryachka
March 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Holy wow - since DBF moved in, I have access to a nearly-endless supply of socks! And since I'm the one washing them, I know they're clean enough.:D

plainjanegirl
March 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Is there a list somewhere of buns that do not create waves or kinks in the hair? I love braiding my hair but dont like the waves I get.