PDA

View Full Version : Proper Length for infinity and other buns?

Nevermore
May 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have iii hair that's about 28 inches long. I tried a few new buns last night (cheater's figure 8, quick twist variation) and I've found that I don't have enough hair to do either of those and just barely enough to do the infinity bun.

What is the minimum length for these styles? I think my hair being so thick may be part of the issue (many of the people who do the tutorials have hair that's a similar length, but ii), so I'd like input from people with similar thickness.

Thanks!

Anje
May 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, it really varies by thickness, and iii is probably the most variable thickness group of all.

Why don't you post your circumference, and see if people of similar circumferences have lengths that they were able to do these styles at.

One suggestion, based on the Flower bun post earlier today: Most iii people can't do normal wrapped buns for a LONG time. However, you can separate a ponytail into several sections and do several smaller wrapped buns, then pin them in place in a cluster. It'll look intricate and dressy.

LeaM07
May 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Half-ups look great in thick hair also... you have enough hair to do the bun and still plenty left to look nice hanging down. :)

Ursula
May 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
It's hard to say. It depends on how thick your thick hair is (it varies quite a bit from barely iii to an inch or more above the minmum circumfrence for iii), the amount of curl or wave (which eats up length, and makes the coil thicker, making your hair need to be longer for a style), and even the size and shape of your head.

Where is 28" on you, body-wise (I'm not good at visualizing inches) I was almost at hip length before I could do a figure-8 bun, and tailbone for a log roll.

Nevermore
May 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Ursula and Anje: My circumference is 4 inches and 28 inches is elbow on me (yes, I'm short :P). I do have some taper because I'm growing out various bits and pieces of layer-y things and old bangs, so it's less than that from about halfway down to the end of my ponytail.

Lea: Unfortunately, I need full ups, as it were, for most things right now, otherwise I'd do that. I'll keep it in mind for times when hair confinement isn't mandatory.

Euphony
May 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yes iii varies way too much. I was finally able to do a figure 8 at roughly 31 to 32", and did an infinite about a month after. I still can't do a log roll though and my cinnamon bun has no cinnamon :sad

LeaM07
May 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I also remember someone here crossing figure-8's... doing an infinity as a half-up, then taking the rest of the hair and figure-8-ing it vertically over the top of the infinity (kinda like a "+").

It's the same idea, though... multiple bunning.

Shell
May 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I had to do French Twist things until my hair was longer than waist. My hair is iii, but on the lesser side of iii, and wavy.

Nevermore
May 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Lea: That might work! I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to try it when my hair dries a bit.

Shell: I finally figured out french twists recently, if I'd known how to do them four inches ago, I might have even been able to hold them up with something less than an industrial strength fake ficcare lol! I really need to get some combs to hold it with.

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
my ponytail circumfrence is around 4 or 4 and a half and my hair is now waist length and I find alot of updos hard to do on my hair also so I know what you are going through

salamander
May 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I could just barely force my hair into a fake figure eight at 28". They didn't start looking normal for another inch or two. You're almost there, though, my hair's four inches around too. Of course now that I can do them, they've gotten really heavy! Dammit, scalp, adjust; I love my figure eights!

frizzinator
May 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM
My hair is very thin, and it was 30" long before I could do figure 8 or infinity. I tried to make these buns on my friend's very thick hair which is the same length as mine, but couldn't even make half of the bun before I ran out of hair. I estimate she needs 6 more inches of hair.

Thick hair would have to be much longer than mine to do these buns. Observe how much of the bun you can make now, and you can probably estimate how much more length you will need to make the bun.

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I can do figure 8s and infinities only if it is straighter than usual (like DD 3 or 4) and combed out with a wide tooth comb. My pony circumference is 5 inches when freshly washed and dried and then it varies after that. I have a bit of taper from old layers but really that helps I think to tuck the ends in better. They BARELY tuck in when I do a figure 8 or infinity and sometimes will not cooperate at all. I figure about another inch should do it and 2 will be better. But then I just cut about a half inch to trim the ends. I'll probably be sorry because of this very thing.

Nevermore
May 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe the issue is that I have serious taper to go with my "short" hair. I have a DEEP U shaped hemline.