PDA

View Full Version : Another coconut oil question.......

HeatherMae
March 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I found some in the baking isle at Wal*Mart. I put it on my hair and I love it already! :) The only thing is that it doesn't smell like coconut. It doesn't have a smell to it at all really. I was really hoping that it would smell good. Where can I find coconut oil for my hair that SMELLS like coconut as well?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If you go to an indian grocers and look for a brand called parachute (it's sold in a blue plastic bottle) then that smells of coconut, otherwise try looking for virgin coconut oil in a health food shop.

DolphinPrincess
March 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I actually found mine in the supplement ailse at WalMart. It's extra virgin coconut oil. Its a solid at room temp, smells like coconut and works well.

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Oooh i forgot to say, there's Dabut Vatika oil, which smells of coconut plus lemon and a few other scents.....but it's gorgious.

Shorty89
March 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
My coconut oil is like that but I don't really care, personally. It doesn't smell bad and it was under $2 for a huge bottle :D As long as it works eh. But, it would be a major bonus if it smelled like coconut, yum!

yogachic
March 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I bought mine at the local health food store, but i see that walmart has it by the vitamins now.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I found some in the baking isle at Wal*Mart. I put it on my hair and I love it already! :) The only thing is that it doesn't smell like coconut. It doesn't have a smell to it at all really. I was really hoping that it would smell good. Where can I find coconut oil for my hair that SMELLS like coconut as well?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I think the reason it doesn't smell is because it's not cold expeller processed. But if it works, go for it!

ETA: I don't' know what I was thinking when I typed that! The reason it doesn't smell like coconut is because it's refined, not unrefined!

coppercurls
March 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I like the kind w/o the coconut smell~that way I can any EOs that I like. I will have to check out the other kind though, because I do like the smell of coconut.

Patrycja
March 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I like the kind w/o the coconut smell~that way I can any EOs that I like. I will have to check out the other kind though, because I do like the smell of coconut.

I'm the same way with mine.I bought it with it in mind that it smelled like coconut.

Does refined or unrefined make a difference?

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
If I remember correctly (this was all on the old boards... hopefully we'll be able to recover it eventually!) the unrefined absorbs into the hair shaft, and slows the loss of protein better than the refined.

HeatherMae
March 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Lots of good info!!!! Thanks! :)

Future CCC-SLP
March 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Mine doesn't smell like coconut either but it does have an odd smell. Mine is fairly solid until I rub it in my hands. I got it from the chamberlains, but it does make my hair oh so soft!! I think its unrefined.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I got mine online. It's extra virgin coconut oil by Nutiva. It was around 10 dollars, but it's really high quality stuff. It tastes great, smells great, and works well on hair. I recommend it! If you don't want to pay for shipping, look for the words "extra virgin." The refining process takes out the smell but it doesn't affect the effectiveness.

vdhendrix
November 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
yes the reason it doesnt smell like coconuts is because its been refined and deodorized, the unrefined extra virgin coconut oil is the one that smells like coconuts

spidermom
November 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
So refined (which has no odor) doesn't work as well! Boo-hoo; I bought some refined because it was on sale. I can't tell a difference in how it works, though; not yet anyway.

Jessikinz
November 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
hmmm mine is unrefined but it doesn't smell like coconuts. It's not rancid either.

jojo
November 24th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Parachute is good for smelliness, my work mate has gone home to India and shes pressing me some coconut oil from fresh, how nice of her is that?

Silver & Gold
November 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Virgin coconut oil like the brand I purchase, Nutiva (http://nutiva.com/products/10_coconut.php), will smell like coconuts.

There are a few other processes for making coconut oil but these processes destroy the smell and taste of the coconut.

Here's the Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil) that might help you choose your coconut oil.

Jessikinz
November 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Actually mine does have a smell, i went to take a big sniff of it haha. It's just not a strong smell( thank goodness cause i don't like the smell of coconuts lol).