PDA

View Full Version : First trimming in ~4 years. This feels *weird*

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM
So, yesterday evening my BF's sister did me the honour to trim my hair. As a former longhair, she is very understanding and are regulary "hired" by another longhaired friend for annual trims.

She gave me her honest opinion - although I was more then halfway to classic, it wasn't much hair at all. She recommended me to cut back to tailbone.

I took her advice.

Afterwards, she complemented me *heaps* on how good it looked and how thick and healthy my hair looked while I was oogling myself in the mirror half in shock, half in excitment.

The backlash came afterwards, when I went to bun my hair until I wash going to wash it. It was veeeeery tricky! I hadn't realized how much easier it is to get those ends to stay in the bun when their are thinner.

Now I'm sitting here contemplating my dead. I didn't follow the 2 week rule, but it was just a minor trim and no 2 weeks would have helped the ravage ends (splits forming over night to the weather changes). The updo troubles will subside, I just need to tweak my technique.

But it is funny how naked you can feel by just a small change. I guess I took a gigantic step out of my comfort zone yesterday.

Nini
March 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I know the feeling! One cm off and you feel completely naked, and then nobody notices...

countryhopper
March 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Don't sweat it! It will take some getting used to, but look at it honestly in the mirror. Doesn't it look better to you? It will be back in no time, and much thicker and healthier!

Isa-belle
March 9th, 2010, 04:00 AM
You are lucky to have such a nice hairdresser in your BF's sister :)
I know what you mean about bunning, but you're a bun queen, and as you say you'll find ways to get round this :)
We'd love to see a pic :flower:

IcarusBride
March 9th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Best of luck to you Hypnotica! I'm sure that by the time you get used to your new length, you'll be all the way back to your pre-trim length, but healthier!

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM
You are lucky to have such a nice hairdresser in your BF's sister :)
I know what you mean about bunning, but you're a bun queen, and as you say you'll find ways to get round this :)
We'd love to see a pic :flower:

Will do - when I'm back in my den again. Right now I'm stuck at work :D

Sissy
March 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM
that's great. I wish I could go 4 years without trimming, unfortunately my hair gets wicked uneven and split prone. I bet it feels a lot softer at the ends and looks really nice with an even hemline and tailbone length is still pretty long to the average person out and about. I have tailbone length too and sometimes I feel like it's short because of all the beautiful hair around here on LHC. Then, I think about real life in my own city and realize that my hair is quite long compared to co-workers and the average person I see out and about. :)

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Ok, so I just got back from work! This hair is post French twisted, so it looks shorter. I guess a tunic wasn't the best garment to wear either.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4419666469_779fea91fb_o.jpg

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Wasn't that the worst pic ever...? I need to make some more this weekend when it is actually daylight outside.

spidermom
March 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM
It's far from the worst picture ever, and your ends look very nice and thick.

JaclynBailey
March 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I dont know what it looked like before... but I do know that it looks awesome now and I would do *just about anything* to have my hair be as beautiful as yours it!

Liss
March 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Wow, your hair looks incredible!

Maybe your bunning issues will be less of a problem with some new toys!!!

Bethany44
March 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Not the worst photo ever and your hair looks so beautiful and healthy!

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
It's far from the worst picture ever, and your ends look very nice and thick.

It is nice that you see them, because I don't :) Truth be told, henna and my camera does not play well if I don't take pics in natural light.

birthmarkie
Looks great. She did a very even job, and your ends look thrilled :D Congratulations!

Hypnotica
Wow, your hair looks incredible!

Maybe your bunning issues will be less of a problem with some new toys!!!

I have two new Innovations actually.... :eyebrows:

Nightshade
March 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
WOW. Your hair has gotten LONG. I remember when you first came to LHC :inlove:

I think the trim and your hemline look divine :cloud9:

LaurelSpring
March 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM
WOW! Your hair looks absolutely awesome. I know what you mean about those ends though. When I cut off my taper it was a pain to refigure my updos. Those little ends helped alot.

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM
WOW. Your hair has gotten LONG. I remember when you first came to LHC :inlove:

I think the trim and your hemline look divine :cloud9:

Then your memory is heaps better then mine :p
I can *sort of* remember that. But I think I need to go to the archives to freshen up.

I found the first pic I ever posted, about 4 years ago...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2229/2337686382_e17c1a45ee_o.jpg

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I know the feeling! One cm off and you feel completely naked, and then nobody notices...

Yeah. Naked. That is utterly weird. I even felt naked riding to work, with my hair UP.

BrightEyes7
March 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yes... now you will be combing hair that isn't there!! I always do that. You get used to pulling the comb so far and without those last few inches or so your combing the air! :D

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I took a stroll through the archives and discovered that my goal length actually was BSL from the beginning.

Guess we past that one a long time ago.

And that at one point called Nightshade a desperate condish-snorter!

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yes... now you will be combing hair that isn't there!! I always do that. You get used to pulling the comb so far and without those last few inches or so your combing the air! :D

Already experienced that one. :D

zeldagirl7491
March 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Wait, what is the "2 week rule"??

girloctopus
March 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Wait, what is the "2 week rule"??
Basically, one should wait two or more weeks between making a major hair decision and acting on that decision. It's supposed to help curb the impulses to cut in frustration.

Your hair looks amazing, Hypnotica! Very healthy, smooth and silky, and I think your new hemline looks amazing. You'll regain the lost inches in no time.

(And I'm totally coveting your color. I wish I looked good in cool toned reds like that.)

Darkhorse1
March 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
WOW! It looks amazing!! I know if I could grow it out longer and do a trim in a year, my hair would look better, but I do mini-trims every 3 months. I don't like my ends looking weathered and with my job and at my age, it shows sooner.

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
WOW! It looks amazing!! I know if I could grow it out longer and do a trim in a year, my hair would look better, but I do mini-trims every 3 months. I don't like my ends looking weathered and with my job and at my age, it shows sooner.

Nah, I don't think mini trims every third month is worse then doing one big trim once a year. You will gain length!

Shermie Girl
March 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Ok, so I just got back from work! This hair is post French twisted, so it looks shorter. I guess a tunic wasn't the best garment to wear either.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4419666469_779fea91fb_o.jpg

The lighting isn't great, but it isn't a "bad" photo. :D

Your hair is lovely. So shiny. And your ends look great . So thick and even.

paperwhite
March 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Your ends look great! Very thick and healthy looking :) The weird updo and nakedness issues will go away soon. I had major issues putting my hair into my normal bun for a while after my last cut (1 1/2" in December). It was a pain, but now that I've grown the cut length back, it's fine again :) I'd love to go four years without a cut, but I'm growing out some damage, so that probably isn't the best idea...

I love your length and color (!!!), even in a photo that you think isn't great :flower:

Rhiannon7
March 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The pic looks good, and your hair is amazing! such lovely color and length. the updos problem should get better, when i cut my hair from TBL to just below shoulder i had a huge problem relearning to do the bun and braid. now that it is almost waist i am still re-learning to do some buns and totally forgot to do french braiding.

camirra555
March 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I think your hair looks great. I wish I could go 4 years without a trim. Right now I'm aiming for a year.

Carolyn
March 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I think your new hemline looks great. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the newness. I know just what you mean about those thinner ends and ease of bunning. I don't think we can have both thick ends AND that nice ending length of hair when doing a bun.

Hypnotica
March 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I think your new hemline looks great. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the newness. I know just what you mean about those thinner ends and ease of bunning. I don't think we can have both thick ends AND that nice ending length of hair when doing a bun.

Goody hair pins are your best friend for the thick hemline :D

Chrissy
March 10th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I must be blind because I can't see the hemline in that picture. You do have beautiful hair.

Pixna
March 10th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Your hair turned out fabulous, Hypnotica!! I can totally appreciate the "feeling naked" sensation. When I got pixified, I also was mortified. It is amazing what a psychological effect the loss of even a few inches can have. I understand why some dogs hide for days and don't want to be seen after a haircut -- I've often felt that way myself!

As far as bunning, I can relate. Blunt, thick ends look beautiful when hair is worn down, but bunning up those ends can be trying. It's a tough trade off, but I'm sure you'll sort it out and come up with great new bun videos for those of us with thicker hair and hemlines (and who need to bun left-handed). Hint...hint...hint!!!!! :gabigrin:

Carolyn
March 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hypotica, I don't know if you are a fan of wearing your hair in a single braid or not, but blunt ends look great in a single braid. You will have a nice thick, fat tassel. I've found that trims and new lengths bring new challenges but they also allow you to enjoy hairstyles of the past once again. Just a few inches can be a major change.

Igraine
March 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Time flies so fast, Hypnotica! It was like yesterday when your hair was BSL and you were still able to do French twists you were sooo envied for :p.

Nightshade
March 10th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I took a stroll through the archives and discovered that my goal length actually was BSL from the beginning.

Guess we past that one a long time ago.

And that at one point called Nightshade a desperate condish-snorter!

Achem. I'd like to point out that was utterly a mistake! I was trying to see what it smelled like and the bottle shot it up my nose :o

girloctopus
March 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Achem. I'd like to point out that was utterly a mistake! I was trying to see what it smelled like and the bottle shot it up my nose :o

Haha I've had that happen to me too! I also accidentally did it to a friend with sunscreen and my son just did it in the middle of Lush recently :o It's more
common than you think!!

You're not the only desperate conditioner-snorter, Nightshade! :p

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Your ends look nice and thick! It's hard for others to understand how we feel about even taking a centimeter off our hard-grown hair, if they've never been where we are. We tend to make such an event out of the growing process, and often trimming gets thought of in such a negative light due to that. It doesn't have to be that way, though! I think your trim looks wonderful, you have very lovely hair! :flower:

emmabovary
March 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Your hair is sooo beautiful, Hypnotica. I can relate to feeling naked after getting it cut but hey, it's still long and superbly pretty! I would do anything to have hair like yours. :)

Nightshade
March 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Haha I've had that happen to me too! I also accidentally did it to a friend with sunscreen and my son just did it in the middle of Lush recently :o It's more
common than you think!!

You're not the only desperate conditioner-snorter, Nightshade! :p

Oh good :) It's nice to know I'm not alone in my inadvertent attempts to deep-condition my sinuses.

getoffmyskittle
March 10th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Wow, your hair looks awesome.

Schnee
March 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Shouldn't you technically have hit your eye? :eyebrows:
Or maybe you just sniffed too much condish.....:cheese:

Nightshade
March 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Shouldn't you technically have hit your eye? :eyebrows:
Or maybe you just sniffed too much condish.....:cheese:

Everyone's a smartarse around here :lol:

Schnee
March 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Everyone's a smartarse around here :lol:

Sorry, couldn't really help myself... :laugh:

Hypnotica, I sort of get the suddenly thick hemline problem. I had my first trim i two years a coupe of weeks ago (didn't care about the two week rule either) and I let her cut as she wished. I had expected to loose more than 3-4 inches, but apparantly it was all I need.

Hypnotica
March 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Time flies so fast, Hypnotica! It was like yesterday when your hair was BSL and you were still able to do French twists you were sooo envied for :p.

Back then, I was the french twist queen :) But I can actually pull off some mean looking frenchies even today.

Hypnotica
March 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
When I'm still walking down memory lane, I have to tell you this: When I first joined the forum, I didn't believe for one moment that I could contribute with anything new. I was especially an updo idiot.

I guess I proved myself wrong in that department too. I hope the updo muse doesn't abandon me.

nowxisxforever
March 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM

I do that...lol :x Yuuuck!

FrannyG
March 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wow, that is one trim I wouldn't regret! Your ends look thick and fabulous! I'm sure it won't be long before your ends start behaving well in updos again.

Isa-belle
March 12th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Your hair looks great Hypnotica! You've come such a long way from APL.
With such thick healthy ends, it'll grow back in not time.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 12th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Wasn't that the worst pic ever...? I need to make some more this weekend when it is actually daylight outside.

Ummm, if that is the worst ever, i wanna see the best???

it is LOVELY!:D

kitten1986
March 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Your hair looks amazing so healthy and shiny and beautiful with stunning body to it... I think you have just become my LHC inspiration :D

Firefly
March 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Oh good :) It's nice to know I'm not alone in my inadvertent attempts to deep-condition my sinuses.

:spitting:I love it!

When I'm still walking down memory lane, I have to tell you this: When I first joined the forum, I didn't believe for one moment that I could contribute with anything new. I was especially an updo idiot.

I guess I proved myself wrong in that department too. I hope the updo muse doesn't abandon me.

Wow, it's hard to imagine that. Your updo tutorials have been an absolute life-saver for me! I think the trim looks great too. I'd love to have ends so healthy looking!

Hypnotica
March 12th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Your hair looks amazing so healthy and shiny and beautiful with stunning body to it... I think you have just become my LHC inspiration :D

:o

Glad to be an inspiration.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
It seems like there's nothing wrong with tailbone length hair with nice ends to me. If you were still growing it to that length you would be pleased. Remember how pleased you felt? Cutting back to it just means your hair is that much better quality. You'll get used to it and it will grow right back out before you know it anyway. If your friend was a former long hair, I think she wouldn't steer you wrong with this. When you hair does get out to classic, it will be better than it would've been. Just think, less tangles!

Hypnotica
March 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM
It seems like there's nothing wrong with tailbone length hair with nice ends to me. If you were still growing it to that length you would be pleased. Remember how pleased you felt? Cutting back to it just means your hair is that much better quality. You'll get used to it and it will grow right back out before you know it anyway. If your friend was a former long hair, I think she wouldn't steer you wrong with this. When you hair does get out to classic, it will be better than it would've been. Just think, less tangles!

Less tangles is good! I'm getting to really appreciate the cut, although it has increased my styling time a lot.