PDA

View Full Version : Annoying "bump" in the middle of my buns. HELP!!!

deviantkitten
March 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Alright my wise LCHers, I have a bit of a dilemma-
Whenever I do a twisted bun of any kind- braided, rope braided, cunnabun, etc, I always have a bump where the first twist takes place (where I first wrap, as opposed to the initial twisting that takes place before the wrap). I have tried pinning it down before I wrap the rest, but this seems to take a bunch of pins that wind up sticking out and showing in the end product. I see so many gorgeous pics of buns and updos where this little personal dilemma of mine is nowhere to be found!
I have bought forks and sticks to try different variations sans pins, but I have yet to receive them, so for now, I am a slave to my pins!
So, lay your wisdom on me my darlings!
How the heck can I avoid this?

Narya
March 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
The same happens to me, so I don't have much advice or help to offer.

Just know that you're not alone! ;)

I'll be watching this thread too.

GeoJ
March 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I get the same problem. So, I usually just do knots and wrapping style buns, completely avoiding the twist bun issue. If I do happen to somehow miraculously get a twisted bun to look nice, I take a photo of it before my pins give out and the lump comes back.

Sometimes I have wondered if it is related to my taper- I get a sudden reduction in thickness just as my hair touches my shoulders.

I really hope someone with a solution comes along.

Laurenji
March 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've noticed this problem popping up in my buns from time to time. I played around with it and found that I need to twist less before I wrap and more while I'm doing the wrapping. The problem came when I'd twisted it tight before wrapping, and then it became super-twisted through the natural motion of wrapping. When I made it a little looser, the bump went away.

ravenreed
March 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have it too and I just assumed it was because that is where my hair has the most thickness/least taper?

deviantkitten
March 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks for the advice with less twisting, and the thought that it is just where the hair is thickest. Keep the thoughts/advice coming!

deviantkitten
March 10th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Bump for my bump LOL
Anyone else with any suggestions?