PDA

View Full Version : How did you find TLHC?

Laurenji
March 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I was reading another thread on a different topic that also happened to have several stories of how people found TLHC. I was fascinated by the different stories and wanted to hear more, so I thought I'd start a new thread :) Here's mine:

I was bored with my hair and wanted to dye it, but didn't want to commit to anything permanent. I had heard that you could dye your hair with kool-aid, so I was googling it and I found a thread on here about it. Luckily I was soon convinced of the error of my ways... But I stayed to poke around the articles. I was fascinated by all the good advice and decided I wanted to stay.

And that's it...now it's your turn. How did you find TLHC?

Oskimosa
March 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hmm. Well I met a lady with pretty soft ginger red hair and she said she used henna. I googled henna and got the mehandi.com / henna for hair website. I was checking out that forum and kept hearing about LHC. I happened to be growing out a bad chop salon boo-boo. Finally came over, and that's that :)

BrightEyes7
March 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I googled "how to take care of really long hair" after I had been having breakage with my waistlength (at the time) hair. I lurked for a month or two then joined. I will never leave... you can't make me!!!

redwoman
March 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
googled long hair to see what I could find about it, growing it caring for it etc...found this site, lurked for a couple of months then decided to join. Best thing I've done for my hair yet.

aef231
March 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
googled long hair to see what I could find about it, growing it caring for it etc...found this site, lurked for a couple of months then decided to join. Best thing I've done for my hair yet.

Same here :D :cheese:

Hana
March 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
on a livejournal post for vintage hair!
there was a link to some waves - in the articles i believe, and from there i started browsing the forum and never left!

deviantkitten
March 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I too had lurked for a while. Whenever I googled a particular dilemma for my long hair, LCH came up. I would read what I needed to, then leave. I have been obsessed with Torrin Paige's tutorials for a while, and one of her vids mentioned LHC. I thought, well, she has beautiful hair, I want beautiful hair, she's on LHC, soooo I guess I have to join LOL.
I have learned so much about my hair I ever thought I would! And so much more too! I am in the process of ordering my first mens cup, I have coconut oil in my hair as we speak, I have discovered Etsy and all the amazing toy makers out there, and hairstyles, hairstyles, HAIRSTYLES LOL

Marz Hase
March 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I actually heard about this place on BPAL. I was curious as to what I could do to help grow out my hair as healthy and chemical free as possible. :) The long hair thread there referred to this forum!

barbararla
March 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I was tired of my lifeless hair and was looking to find a natural recipe for a moisture treatment. I just thought to type long hair instead and it took me here where I found people with beautiful hair! So I spent time reading through the articles and trying some stuff and now my hair looks much better and I don't even use shampoo anymore :-)

eyesofsummer
March 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I heard about it on longhair communities on LiveJournal! It's funny, I don't really use my LJ anymore but I still log in everyday to check on the communities I'm a member of.

Ravenne
March 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I was a member of the forum on another long hair website and all the "veterans" seemed to be referring to things/convos/tips from here so after a few quick lurks and spying I finally decided to join and see what all the fuss was about. :)

Yozhik
March 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I was researching whether or not cones were good, and it led me to a great article on here! Then I started to look around and decided to stay :)

Peter
March 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Found it from the MLHH, the men's long hair board. It's been so long since I found that place that I don't remember how I got there. It was probably from googling how to deal with blatant sexism. :p

Wanderer09
March 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I wanted purple hair, but I had also decided to grow my hair longer, so bleach was out of the question. A search for how well Manic Panic will show up on unbleached hair led me to LHC. :)

GoddesJourney
March 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I've been trying to grow my hair back out for years now and something always happens to it that sets me back. I was dealing with that in Brazil last year and (since I had nothing to do for months) I had a lot of time for the computer. I was looking for interesting updos that weren't so complicated and I found torrin paige's YouTube. Then, I found some interesting things about growing long hair out and most of them were perv sites. Finally, I came across this place through some link or another and checked it out. Honestly, there were a thousand links, I'd just been ignoring it and it won. Now it has me and it won't let go! What do I do?! Oh, right, enjoy it and my growing beautiful hair.

RocketDog
March 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I believe I was searching for info on using coconut oil as a hair treatment... that, or trying to find henna information for a friend. I'm not the most active poster, but I love this forum, it's such a great community and an invaluable, ever-growing bank of knowledge!

autumnsdaughter
March 8th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I first ran into LHC via the naturally curly site, when I was doing the CG method. I was more focused on getting as much curl as possible at the time, rather than length.

Kelli Kat
March 8th, 2010, 10:40 PM
There was a thread on a completely unrelated forum board I'm on, talking about LHC and I decided to check it out. I signed up a year ago, but just became active over the last several weeks or so.

Laurenji
March 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I love all the stories! It seems TLHC has gained quite the reputation on the internet. :)

liseling
March 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I first ran into LHC via the naturally curly site, when I was doing the CG method. I was more focused on getting as much curl as possible at the time, rather than length.

Me too! A few years ago I suddenly became really interested in caring for curly hair and ran across the curly girl method and naturallycurly.com. It was a total revelation and I got really into researching making hair (especially curly hair) as healthy as it can be. Naturally that led me to LHC!

Star Eagle
March 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I found this site thru henna page... I have learned so much already and the people are really nice...

cardamom
March 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I was doing some google search for hair care and I stumbled upon LHC.:)

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM
on a livejournal post for vintage hair!
there was a link to some waves - in the articles i believe, and from there i started browsing the forum and never left!

Me too, although it was this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15791&highlight=1920s+updo) on getting a 1920s shingled-style updo for long hair, via the Vintage Hairstyles community on LJ, that got me on board. :)

Gypsy069
March 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
With me i have not been here that long. I found it by asking google for my hair problems. When i came here i got great advise for my problem. Now im happy and healthy =) Thanks to everyone here.

Gumball
March 8th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I think at one point I was looking up information on how to do some styles. One thing led to another and eventually I ended up doing the lurk-to-joining shebang.

serious
March 9th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Actually, I can't remember :confused:

I think it was through H4H, but it's possible it was through Serbian LUSH forum I was frequently lurking at that time. I'm pretty sure someone had mentioned CO wash there...so, one thing led to another...:D

habioku
March 9th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm in another (german) hair forum too and there I read a lot about this forum, so I take a look :D

Heavenly Locks
March 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
A friend of mine from a horse forum I frequent shared the link to LHC with me when she found out I was interested in healthier and longer hair. I am so grateful to her! :)

jera
March 9th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I saw a woman on Antiques Roadshow who had a collection of 19th century hair ornaments made from human hair along with photographs of the Sutherland sisters.. Her own hair was almost floor length. I got curious and Googled the Sutherland sisters. From there, I linked my way here. :D

Suszi
March 9th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I was looking for tips on how to take better care of my hair.

Masara
March 9th, 2010, 02:27 AM
My daughet had a dance show and I needed to make a decent bun. I googled "ballet bun" and eventually found myself here.
At the time I had very short hair which I was planning on growing out to maybe shoulders so I didn't really think this place was for me. But the articles and discussions were so interesting that I kept coming back and then seeing all that wonderful long hair made me rethink my shoulder length goal a bit.

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I googled +cheese +moldy +wonderful +banana +acrylic and the first link was to a thread here....err, no - I didn't, but as this community is a such diverse lump of people, I wouldn't be suprised if this community would show up in the top results in Google whatever I would google :)

Heavenly Locks
March 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I saw a woman on Antiques Roadshow who had a collection of 19th century hair ornaments made from human hair along with photographs of the Sutherland sisters.. Her own hair was almost floor length. I got curious and Googled the Sutherland sisters. From there, I linked my way here. :D

Cool story! :)

Tutti_Frutti
March 9th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Google is your best friend!
I wanted to find information on how to handle damaged hair and found a Belgium hairforum. And there was a link to TLHC.. :)

disneynut1977
March 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
After I started hennaing my hair, it was in such good shape I decided to stop cutting it and let it grow.

Hennaforhair forum links to here a lot.
I'm soooooo glad I found this place.

prettydark
March 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I believe I found TLHC through the longhair community on livejournal.

Laurenji
March 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Star_Eagle, I love your siggy pick. It makes me smile. Although for some reason at first glance, it always looks like a camel to me...

wilddaisies
March 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I was looking for different ways to braid my hair and take care of it, and then I came across people (like Torrin) with lots of beautiful, long hair... and then somehow I came to this land of long manes, lurked, and joined. :)

Cirafly24
March 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I had been wearing my hair down or in a boring ponytail for the last 8 months, and I was looking for hair styles for long hair.

I was poking around on youtube and found torrinpaige's tutorials...some of the comments referenced LHC, and I recognized the name from an article I had read (didn't know there was a forum). I googled, and was almost immediately hooked (for life, I'm pretty sure).

:)

heatherainsley
March 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I found it online when i was searching for tips on how to grow healthy hair.

Merewen
March 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'd been using a pencil for a hair stick and figured I needed an upgrade, so I googled "hair stick". Found the forums on longlocks.com, then CinnamonHair's page, and then finally the LHC. I promptly decided to grow my hair. :D

Kaijah
March 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I was actually bumming around on some beauty/fashion forum (is it bad I can't remember which?) and one of the posters had a link to LHC in her signature. It was all downhill from there. :D

Bethany44
March 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I got a bad short haircut (chin length) so I was looking for tips on growing hair faster. Found the LHC and that day decided I wasn't just going to grow to shoulder length - I was going to grow, grow, grow!!

Liss
March 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I posted a goal to grow my hair long on '43 Things' about 18 months ago and was directed here. I think the boards were down at the time, or I'd been directed to the old board where there had been no activity for more than 6 months, so I forgot about the site for a while. Then a few months ago the name LHC popped into my head, so I googled it and here I am!

TXbarbie
March 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I was googling about long hair care, and the forum popped up. I lurked for about a week and then joined!

Carrie Ingalls
March 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I don't remember exactly what I googled, but I found the archived board (in Jan 2009) and was thrilled and then crestfallen within a very short span of time because it was so great and then I realized it was a "dead" board. But thankfully I haphazardly clicked to logo or home button and saw that there were posts that had been made that day! Needless to say I was overjoyed! again. :)

Edit: I lurked all spring and then joined in May (since needed a different email address to join).

Tovah
March 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I was seeking a way of fixing my hair that had been severely damaged from dying and blow frying. So I googled and found this place. It got to the point that my hair was breaking off in clumps after my last dye job at the salon. I was frantic thinking that I had to cut all of my hair off to 1 inch. I came here and heeded the advice I got and found Ojon deep conditioning treatment and it saved my hair.......

Then, I decided to let it grow after seeing all the beautiful hair here. Everyone is so nice and helpful, so I stayed and joined. Its a journey.

Rhiannon7
March 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I stumbled upon TLHC when i started to search for recipes to heal my dry hair, i've always loved super long hair and was mystified by all the classic and beyond hair found here so i joined and that's history. this site has helped me so much i rarely stay away, even when i come home exhausted from work i try and at least take a peek and see what's new.

CrisDee
March 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'd been chemically dying my hair red for 20+ years, and my daughter recommended H4H's henna. Joined there, and while tweaking my henna recipe to get a lighter color, and researching honey lightening, I was referred here by Carrie on H4H. I'd seen LHC mentioned a number of times on H4H, but thought it was for people who already had long hair (silly me!). After I finally took a peek at LHC, I made the long overdue decision to regrow my hair - and here I am :)

crabpixie
March 9th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I was tempted to bleach over my henna to remove it as it was starting to look very orange due to the strong florida sun... I wanted to return to my original brown, I googled it and came across this forum.

Thank goodness I did, otherwise my hair would be damaged sludge now!

I now use Katam/buxus to cool it after reading about it on here :)

HintOfMint
March 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I was looking into no 'poo and saw its derivative, CO, and decided to look into that (the idea of the smell of vinegar in a hot steamy shower makes me a bit woozy).

I found the HUGE LHC conditioner only thread and started reading.Then, on that thread, there would be mentions of other ways to take care of your hair, various treatments... etc. so I started looking around the site. It was quite refreshing to see an indulgence of beautiful hair without going on about expensive products and pricey haircuts. Eventually this became my go-to place for any hair inquiries.

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I had lurked around on hair care sites since about 2001, when I was on bed-rest with my first pregnancy, and not working and had nothing to do but surf the net. I remember seeing TILHC (The International Long Hair Club, I think?) but I wasn't long enough at that time to join - maybe a tiny bit past waist then, and you had to have at least hip-length for membership. So that kinda bummed me out and I quit messing with those sites for awhile.

I joined Facebook in the summer of '08, and one of my first new friends pointed me here. I lurked for several months and finally signed up and became JamieLeigh in Oct '08. I've lurrrrrrved it here ever since. :crush: :cheese:

cellardoor
March 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I found it through Mark's Daily Apple, someone mentioned on the forums there and I thought I'd come check it out. I'm so happy to have found this site, my hair has never looked so healthy thanks for all the great advice! :)

Leena7
March 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I got here by searching for pictures of grown out pixies. I lurked for a while, almost a year actually, before finally becoming a member.

LunarAurora
March 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I heard about the Long Hair Community thanks to a French longhair forum named "Le jardin des chevelus" :)

Stevy
March 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I think I was doing a search on 'classic length', because I'd seen it somewhere and didn't know what it meant. I found a lot of... um, special interest pages, and LHC. :)

tralalalara
March 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I did a search on "how to wash long hair" because my lack of routine left me kind of frizzy.
All I found at first were on washing long african hair, then every good link I clicked on went HERE!
=]

melusine
March 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I think I must have found it through the Livejournal longhair community!

celelu
March 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Ok, so at that time I was annoyed with my hip-long hair and starting to consider cutting it to something really short. One day, I was bored and watching ballet videos on Youtube (probably after searching for baroque dance vids, and, as always, finding nothing good). One of these videos showed how to tie chaussons, and the next one was about making buns. On the «related videos» list was a tutorial by Torrin Paige... Ballet suddenly lost its interest, and I watched all her videos. When I was done, I searched «long hair» on google, and here it is! I never want to quit... It seems that my hair looks and feels better every time I try something new (or almost... I had bad experiences too, but it made me learn anyways)