PDA

View Full Version : No Salon = savings!! ($1520 per decade)

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
when i had long hair before, my barber (i call him barber, bc he's a guy, too, but specializes in women's styles) charges $30 for each trim. $38 is what i usually pay.

my old routine was trimming 4 times a year. that's $152 a year. Multiply that by 8 years of shaving my own head and 2 years of regrowing = $1520.

soooo, I manage to saved $1520 in ten years, I guess i have an excuse to go shopping now! Tool stores, here i come:cheese::cheese:

contradiction
March 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
That's very interesting when you look at it that way. I'm sure I spent over a thousand dollars on my hair last year when I was going to the salon every six weeks for cut and highlights. I'm planning on going the whole year without a salon visit.

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
$1000+ in ONE YEAR!?!?! :agape:

teela1978
March 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've never really gotten regular salon haircuts... and I can't imagine how anyone actually affords them. I have friends who go in every 6 weeks for a trim and color touch-up, that's gotta be at least $100 each time. Even stretching that to every 8 weeks its $600 a year as a low-ball estimate. Its kinda insane. Makes my hair-toy habit look cheap :)

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
:joy: I'm glad you ventured out of "NEW START HERE" forum, now your posts can count and you can see ALL we have to offer here. I think your initial thread was the most activity I've seen on the Newbie forum in a very long time :)

So, what tools will you be investing in?

Sissy
March 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
$1000+ in ONE YEAR!?!?! :agape:

yeah... wow. I can't imagine paying that much. I actually have never really even been to a salon. I would go maybe once a year sometimes, but I haven't even been to one for a trim in years. Most of the time growing up I was able to find someone to trim my hair for free.

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm still going through the sticky threads, and am discovering a lot of things i never even knew existed (henna, indigo, oil...OIL?!?! i suppose i "oil" my hair every time i spray WD40). I think the amount of activity is due to the novelty of a guy posting.

Ah, yes, hair toys, so thats what "you people" call those doohikies. I've been searching all over the web for hair stuff for men, but have mostly come up empty... good thing, otherwise, that money i saved would be gone! While I didn't find hair-toys for men, i do have a few proto-type in mind (stainless steel...sharp, lots of sharp angles).

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
You are my hero :cloud9: YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL ANGLE!! You have no idea how many times I've seen MY name spelled instead! ;)

Hmmmm, maybe start a thread requesting manly hair toys (that's what we call the doo hickies) ;) I'm interested in the responses...Who knows, this could be a business venture for you :)

Calista
March 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
tig-man, there are lots of hair tools deemed suitable for guys. Stainless steel chopsticks, leather hairgloves, bronze or brass barrettes, leather bands are some I can come up with offhand. It seems that most guys like to wear their hair down, but IMO updos can be very masculine.

Loviatar
March 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I hope it's OK to mention names, but Ravenslair on etsy dot com has some titanium sticks at the moment which look very masculine, and Quattro on etsy has many basic metal sticks and forks also. :flower: They are a couple of my favourite vendors. I'm not a guy, obviously, but I do like plain sticks for work sometimes.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Ah, yes, hair toys, so thats what "you people" call those doohikies.

Did you just "you people" us? :)

*Aoife*
March 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
$1000 a year shudder:
Just wondering, how much did/do people spend on salon visits? Mine used to cost €25 + tip. And that was max three times a year!

Did you just "you people" us? :)

Yes he did! I noticed too :p

Sorry for the double post, btw.

teela1978
March 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
$1000 a year shudder:
Just wondering, how much did/do people spend on salon visits? Mine used to cost €25 + tip. And that was max three times a year!

Most I ever paid was $35 plus tip. Honestly, it was my favorite haircut I ever got... it was also my last cut before joining LHC.

Before I learned to self trim I'd usually go to a cheap place that was less than $15 a trim. With tip it was usually under $20, and I'd maybe go 3 times a year. So $600 a decade or so :)

Akiko
March 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I know a lot of people who pay more than $150 per salon visit. Cut, color, style... They seem to go to a salon every 5-6 weeks. That will easily cost more than $1300 per year. In ten years, it will be $13,000. Ugh.

I think my husband should be happy that my haircut is free. Well, he trims my hair. :)

Fractalsofhair
March 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Salons can be as low as $10, and as high as $100 for a cut in my area. I only go 2x a year, even when I had styles that required going more often. I think that a lot of people can't really afford to go to a salon, but do because it's expected.

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
hey, thanks for all those resources, I will definitely check them out.

and, yes, I said "you people" as in, you people who are obsessed enough with your hair to take time out of your day to post on an internet bulletin board. obviously I do not under any circumstances include myself in THAT group ;)

Felix_D
March 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
The only way I can think of guys wearing long hair is a la Antonio Banderas (http://img1.ifilmpro.com/resize/image/blog/1/8/7/5/1875583/200902/1235519241264.jpg). (edit: not Steven Seagal! haha)

Geez, lets see about the savings... $90 for trim and highlights every 3 months... $360/year. Not crippling, but it definitely adds up. I'll be glad to have the extra dough! :)

embee
March 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
$$$ is one reason my hair is now long. I could not justify spending a lot of money on hair trims, and my hair - being stick straight - needed frequent trimming to look neat. $25 every 6-8 weeks will add up, and that was pushing it, time-wise.

BelleBot
March 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
When I used to go to a salon to get my hair cut and coloured (full head) it would cost me £80 a time because of my length. So that's about $120. That was about 4 times a year, I didn't do the every 6-8 weeks as advised. I did that for about two years. Ouch, lots of pennies. I haven't been since summer 2008, and don't intend to go again. It's not so much the price, just my distrust of hairdressers.

Lisa Tregner
March 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
$1500....a decade.

I wish...for me it really is more like a year.

I really do not want to add it up.

shadowclaw
March 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, everyone really seems to be paying a lot for a trim! Maybe prices are higher now, but the only time I ever had a professional cut my hair was in 2002, and I actually got it cut into a style, not just a trim, and it only cost me $14.99 plus tip. Come to think of it, a lot of things at that salon cost $14.99. I went there 3 times during high school to get my hair done for dances, and it cost $14.99 each time for that, too. That was a really swell salon, too. The ladies there all loved my long hair, and the "master stylist" or whatever you would call it had beautiful long wavy blonde hair.

In any event, congratulations on saving money! For me, I find that I am spending more money. Instead of paying for a trim, I am now spending money on hair toys, although I am beginning to create my own!

bumblebums
March 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
In any event, congratulations on saving money! For me, I find that I am spending more money. Instead of paying for a trim, I am now spending money on hair toys, although I am beginning to create my own!

You know, that's a good point, but I figure that if I spend money on hair toys, at least I get to keep them. Forking your money over to an overpriced stylist amounts to paying someone to take something (your hair) away from you. So I'd rather spend my money on hair toys!

Nae
March 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
With all that money you are saving you can buy some awesome hair toys.

These antler sticks seem masculine to me.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42019191
They have them in different colors if you please.

These titanium chopsticks are nice.
http://www.tistix.com/cart/

This site has leaf-shaped leather barrettes and metal celtic style hairsticks which I think are pretty masculine, depending on the design.
http://www.craftycelts.com/celtic_hair.html

This site has some interesting designs in bronze, including skull and crossbone ponytail covers and some hair swords which could be nice for the manly man.
http://www.bronzejewelers.com/index.htm

This one has some dragon style hair sticks, dunno what your style is, just throwing out options that I have in my favorites. :D
http://www.alchemygothic.com/component/ag_cat_bridge/?agpage=c_29_0_Hair_Accessories.html

This one has some lizard/salamander themed things, but it is in French.
http://www.bijoux-manoel.com/epingle-a-cheveux-2/ge_013-gecko.html

And this one has some nice basic wood hair sticks.
http://www.woodjewelry.com/category.php?c=7

There, I have officially gone through my hair toy folder and found everything I thought looked masculine. Now off to do my homework before my physics class lol. Have fun!!

tig-man
March 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
am i missing something with the titanium sticks? whats the advantage? I'm not unfamiliar with metal, I would rather use 6061 aluminum, unless there's something with titanium that i'm missing. is it the weight?

holy crap, $50 and up? are you guys kidding? I can make one out of aluminum for way cheaper then that. Think $4-$6 in material, and maybe two hours of work. So, $50-$5 for material=$45. then minus tool wear, electricity, abrasive, polish..maybe $3 to $5, split into 2 hours, thats $20 and hour. I dont mind paying myself $20 an hour for work i enjoy doing anyway :cheese:

is it obvious i'm a cheap asian? :D:D

bumblebums
March 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
holy crap, $50 and up? are you guys kidding? I can make one out of aluminum for way cheaper then that.
is it obvious i'm a cheap asian? :D:D

It's obvious you're someone who's comfortable with tools :)

As you can see, there is some money to be made on hair sticks and other hair jewelry, and considerable demand in communities such as this.

Titanium is better than aluminum in that it isn't as bendy. Some members here have really thick hair that breaks hair sticks that aren't made of strong enough material.

Also, you can get cheaper hair sticks ($3-7 dollars plus shipping) at online wholesale jewelry supply sellers--they don't have to be that expensive.

sibiryachka
March 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
It's obvious you're someone who's comfortable with tools :)

As you can see, there is some money to be made on hair sticks and other hair jewelry, and considerable demand in communities such as this.

Titanium is better than aluminum in that it isn't as bendy. Some members here have really thick hair that breaks hair sticks that aren't made of strong enough material.

Also, you can get cheaper hair sticks ($3-7 dollars plus shipping) at online wholesale jewelry supply sellers--they don't have to be that expensive.

...And, clearly, a gaping hole in the market for toys geared to men!

Liss
March 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I cringe when I think about what I used to pay at the salon and I'm not joking when I quote these prices...

€10 for the shampoo & condition (which I never wanted but they always insisted) €60 for the cut & highlights, and then another €20 for the blow dry - which again I never wanted, but they always insisted on to see how the colour developed.

That's €90 for an average visit, which I'm a little scared to convert into USD and then calculate over a decade!

Bethany44
March 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I just spent $65 on my last haircut and I'm really looking forward to giving that up. I went about every 8 weeks, so I was looking at around $450 per year. Right now I plan to stretch that to 12-16 weeks and I found someone good for $30. My hair is around shoulder length now and I really need a professional to make it look decent at this length.

When my hair gets longer, I'll start doing small trims myself and only visit the salon 1-2 times per year.

spidermom
March 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ah, yes, hair toys, so thats what "you people" call those doohikies. .

Not all us people. I hate the term! (and I know I'm not alone because I've posted about this before)

tig-man
March 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
didn't mean to offend. it was q joke.

Katurday
March 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
My hair (color, highlights) would cost me around 250 dollars CAN initially, and the root touch ups would cost about 80-100 dollars every month. Thats roughly 1130 dollars minimum?

Keep me on the henna, folks. Keep me on the henna.

Carrie Ingalls
March 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the savings everyone! :hifive:

I don't know if I can really say I am saving anything, since I have never set foot in a salon to let anyone touch my hair. :cool:

RocketDog
March 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Back in the days when I wore an angled bob, a cut, base color, two colors of highlights, and wash/blowout/style cost $150 a visit (including a good tip!) every 6-8 weeks... that's just the SALON, that doesn't include styling products and tools and shampoo/conditioner/treatments, and we're almost pushing a grand.

bumblebums
March 11th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I think spidermom was referring to "hair toys" as the term she dislikes, not "us people." "Hair toys" does have a weird, slightly unwholesome ring to it. Ahem.

Fiferstone
March 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Holy Cr*p, I've probably bought a car with what I haven't spent on conventional haircare.

I went 12 years without once stepping foot in a salon. Seriously.

Once I'd learned how to trim my own bangs I had no reason to go back.

Now that I've found LHC I may never go to a salon again :).

bumblebums
March 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I almost feel bad, because I live a block away from my salon. My stylist sometimes waves to me when I walk by. I haven't had a haircut since August, and I don't plan to go back... I sent a friend or two her way, so I don't feel too bad, but I'd like to keep that $60+tax and tip every four months to myself from now on...

It's amazing what you can get away with once you get used to wearing your hair up all the time!

Hana
March 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM
i think the most i've spent in one year is £200.
so far this year- £18. i dont think it'll be getting cut again for a while though. maybe, once more this year?

tig-man
March 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I think spidermom was referring to "hair toys" as the term she dislikes, not "us people." "Hair toys" does have a weird, slightly unwholesome ring to it. Ahem.

what's wrong with the term hair toys? while I will never be caught saying it in public, I fail to see why its unwholesome.i wouldn't say it in public... well, other men will think I'm weird & will uncomfortably change the subject to monster trucks, sports and hooters. meanwhile, I certainly wouldn't want want my female friends to think I spend any time/energy in actually learning anything about hair. most of them hate me because my hair grows faster then theirs anyway :)

Lamb
March 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hi, tig-man! :waving:

No kidding. :nono: Last September, two of my peers at grad school cut their (APL) hair to super-short pixies. I asked one of them where she usually has her hair cut - she named a place, and said they usually charge her over $100 per visit. :shocked: She is a grad student. With a pixie that needs re-shaping every 4-6 weeks. Let's just do some math here...

Er... I think not.