PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I'm not the only 1 with neck hair.

disneynut1977
March 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I am so self conscience about the back of neck is anybody else?.

The reason is I don't have what I would consider normal hair growth back there. I have nape hair that goes partway to the sides of my neck and I have what looks to be devil horns, upside down on the very back, with a small clear patch right smack in the middle.

The most ironic thing is I LOVE updo's, That's 1 of the reason's I'm growing my hair. It's so embaressing though when I do have my hair up. I've tried the shaving and I just don't keep up with it. I've tried waxing and though it may last for at least 2 months before I have enough regrowth to be noticed 2-3 weeks out of that time I have what looks like alien acne,LOL, a reaction from the waxing and it's the same with warm wax and sugaring.

Please tell me I'm not the only 1 with lot's of hair on the neck.

Calista
March 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Certainly not - I think weīve even had a thread or two about it.

Personally I tend to do nothing at all about my neck hair. Shaving looks much worse than letting it grow IMO. If it bothers other people, let them look away.

ETA: Here you can see my neck hair. itīs not lots, but it does form those lovely little devilīs horns:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=996&pictureid=12462

Shorty89
March 8th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have that too, and some of it grows long too :S I've shaved it before but then you get stubble that sticks straight out. I usually just try to ignore it. I think it looks worse to me than it actually is.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
i also have that, i have two islands of pubes completely disconnected from the scalp hair. It looks HIDEOUS but i always fail at waxing them, for those hairs are sooo strong wax cannot pull them out.

Not a huge problem for me though since i always wear my hair down :D

DARKMARTIAN
March 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Oh im so pleased to have found this thread...:p

I DO have neck hairs and its kinda embarressing because in some photos if ya catch me from the back when the hair is ponytailed..it can actually kinda look like im dirty......but its really just thin wisps of hair there on my neck.

Blahhhhhh.......:(

disneynut1977
March 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
OH, thank the lord it's not just me, LOL.

I'm pretty sure it's just me that's bothered by it..........except for my lovely DH that decided to point out last night what looked to be a pubic hair on 1 of my side patches, LOL. I almost yelled at him, but kept my cool and calmly said don't ever say that to me again if you know what's good for you, LOL.

I stopped waxing the area a few months ago, so my regrowth back there isn't too long yet and some hairs are kinda kinky and curly.

disneynut1977
March 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Calista, I can't see your pic.

Is that because I don't have enough post's yet to view pictures?

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Oh no, it is not just you OP. I think I'm 1/2 Sasquatch--I'm hairy every where; neckline included...If I didn't shave I think I'd have a wrap around beard (back to front)...Erm, yes, I am a woman ;)

paperwhite
March 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Nah, you aren't the only one ;) I think it's really common to have hairs just the way you described at the nape of your neck. I have them, too, but they never really bothered me. They don't get long enough to do anything with, but I can't imagine trying to get rid of them. What a pain! I'd likely end up with some kind of crooked looking disaster :p

disneynut1977
March 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Oh no, it is not just you OP. I think I'm 1/2 Sasquatch--I'm hairy every where; neckline included...If I didn't shave I think I'd have a wrap around beard (back to front)...Erm, yes, I am a woman ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty hairy too. My mother say's it just makes us softer to touch though, LOL.

I have very fine, but thick peach fuzz over most of my body:mad:. I actually.................shave the lower part of my face like a man would too. If I didn't, well I would have noticable side burns and I just don't want that.

Also have those stupid occasional blacks hairs that pop up on my chin from time to time. At least those are easy to pluck though:)

Blondschopf
March 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
man for ages i wanted to start such a thread -.-

I do have this problem too, i think the worst thing about it is that those strands ALWAYS work their way out of my braid and then i have this kinda pouf in the neck.... AAAARGH.

Luckily it's long enough now to fit into my bun and after reading this I think I won't change this fact :rolleyes:

spidermom
March 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
We have had a few threads about this. When I see it, I'm not bothered by it at all.

I don't have much neck hair myself.

Calista
March 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Calista, I can't see your pic.

Is that because I don't have enough post's yet to view pictures?
Oops, probably. Didnīt think about that. :oops: You should be able to see it soon, as you have more than 25 posts now, so you just need moderator approval.

Luckysock
March 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm getting the hair on my neck evened out with electrolysis. I think I've had 4 appointments (30 min each) and I'm happy with the results! I won't have a perfectly straight hairline, because its pretty wonky and goes up quite high in some places, but the results are enough to make me feel more comfortable wearing my hair up.

When I'm done I'll post pictures :)

Peter
March 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I've got it too. I tried shaving it back in September 2009, and I can't say it's done any good. It's growing back now, but it's too short to get into a ponytail or braid, so it just sticks out and looks terrible. I don't plan to touch it anymore... I'm just going to leave it alone.

For the record, right now it's (estimate) ~3" long.

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty hairy too. My mother say's it just makes us softer to touch though, LOL.

I have very fine, but thick peach fuzz over most of my body:mad:. I actually.................shave the lower part of my face like a man would too. If I didn't, well I would have noticable side burns and I just don't want that.

Also have those stupid occasional blacks hairs that pop up on my chin from time to time. At least those are easy to pluck though:)

I like your mom ;) I have that same peach fuzz too. When DD was born, she looked like a little hairy monkey (seriously) the doctor told us that it was natural and it would just come off; especially on her back. He made some indication; gosh I wish I could remember what he said exactly, but...Oh, yes, he made some sort of a hereditary link to it. I agreed in such a way that he assumed I was talking about DH :D So, far DD is still our hairy monkey-girl. I think it is adorable; it has not lessened, but it has lightened up a bit...We call them baby hairs ;)

Oh, those chin hairs? I call them lost/confused eyebrows :eyebrows:

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Meh, I have that... One of the reasons short hair is such a pain for the upkeep. :mad: My hairline is high in the middle of the back of my neck, and comes down almost to the collar either side of that, in curly almost ringlety wisps that don't seem to grow out at all. At least they're pale goldy taffy coloured, so they don't stand out much - just more of that halo of "angel fluff" that I get all round my head. :p

It gets at me occasionally, but since I wear my hair up almost constantly I just try not to think about it. The only time I can recall someone mentioning it was a hairdresser, who made concerned/frustrated "Mmm" sounds when she had to trim it for a short haircut.

Mutinous
March 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I have this too. And the added dilemma of sideburns, which I never know what to do with. Part of me wants to grow them out, but it is far easier to cut them when I shave (yes I'm male).

annarose
March 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I have this too, double horns.

I had a tattoo done inbetween, now no one notices the horns, just the tiny little palm trees and sunset :wink:

Honestwitness
March 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I have unruly neck hairs, too. In fact, that's the reason I found LHC. I was looking for a way to deal with them. After reading a bunch of posts on this topic, I decided to just leaave them alone.

I think we need a "neck-hair" gallery for moral support.

Gulbahar
March 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I never thought that neck hairs would bother anyone at all. Most people have them.

Anje
March 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I've got hair way down the sides of my neck too. It tends to curl and tangle, just to top things off.

I should baby it and make finger curls in it. Instead, I tend to snip it to about 1-2 inches long, so it won't tangle. It still shows, but it's short enough not to be unruly and long enough not to look like it's regrowing from shaved.

adiapalic
March 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I have furry wispy neck hairs. It doesn't bother me, because I figure it's natural..

Heck, sometimes I grow out my underarm and leg hairs when I feel like it.

RecklessCharlie
March 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Neck hair is completely normal - wouldn't fret too much over them.
My neck hair grows down quite far, past my collar if its a collared shirt. Everyone is a little different, but everyone's got some neck hair :)

ilovelonghair
March 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I got them, the hairline goes way down my neck, never bothered me, The hair on my neck is also quite long so it just goes into my up-does :)

sneakybea
March 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have a really low hairline in the back, and it grows in those two long "horns" as you describe. I get them from my mother, who has short hair and has my dad shave them for her. (Funny digression: when I was home for Christmas, my mom said "I have to ask your father to shave my neck" and I heard "I have to ask your father to shave my head." I couldn't imagine my mother bald!) The thing is, I've thought about shaving or otherwise removing the hair, but when I wore my hair up over the holidays, my mom said "No, it looks nice, you have these long curls." So I'm just not going to worry about it, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

dearladydisdain
March 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmm. I really thought everyone had at least some hair down their neck. Is there anyone out there who has no neck hair? :confused:

RocketDog
March 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have annoying little hairs around my nape, they are much coarser than the rest of my hair and stubbornly refuse to do anything other than look like, well, pubes! I tried oiling them slightly and got some cute little ringlets to form, but unfortunately they didn't stay looking cute all day. I just ignore them, since I'm not going to clip or pluck them... and since they're on the back of my head, I just avoid twisting my head around to stare at them once my 'do is finished.

IcarusBride
March 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Eek! Me too! I'm sooooo self concious.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I didn't have neck hair when I was thin but after I gained quite a bit of weight I notice I now have neck hairs >..<

xoxophelia
March 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Be thankful you don't have what I have.. when I pull my hair straight back, it looks like I have ACTUAL devil horns. Oo

The exact place they would be, the same angle.. same length. My baby hairs stick up and form triangles that seriously look like devil horns. XD

Juanita
March 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Mine are about halfway down my neck but are long enoughto go into updos

Juanita
March 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Pictures in Wedding album in my profile of the back my neck They don't worry me. they're just there.

disneynut1977
March 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Thank you for everybody that responded.

I ended up waxing them this morning. Gonna try to keep the area nice and clean to help with the breakout's.

I just can't stand it. As some other people mentioned the side patches go right down to my collar also. I know it shouldn't bother me and it shouldn't matter, but I keep thinking I should have a nice smooth swan neck. I know I'm vain:p

I actually should have taken a before pic. We could start a neck hair gallery as somebody else mentioned, LOL.

Aer
March 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
We should start a neck hair gallery. I just see it as that my "mane's" base extends down farther than most. As long as I'm not getting the same growth on my tail, I'm happy.

disneynut1977, was it a little more painful to wax that area than compared to other spots?

disneynut1977
March 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think if you already currently wax other area's, it's not bad at all. For somebody not used to it, I think it would hurt alot. I'm so used to waxing, it doesn't bother me much at all.

Actually, the only spot on me that it really hurts is my armpits.....but that's gotta be because I rarely wax them. Only if I'm going on vac somewhere warm. My hair grows in quick, I easily get a 5 o'clock shadow and it really bothers me. I soooooo wish I could afford laser.

1 word of advice though, sugar the area, don't use WAX. If you get the stuff in your hair, it's not such a big issue getting it out. I don't like having to use cloth's, but hate getting wax in my hair.

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
My mother barely has any neck hair, it's just some fluff and it looks a bit strange to me. Because as far as I know: everybody has neck hair. Some people shave if off, or cut it off, but it looks weird.

disneynut1977, make sure not to wax off too much!

disneynut1977
March 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I didn't. I just wax off those side patches on my neck. I leave the rest. I want my hairline to look as natural as possible.

lora410
March 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I have small hairs at the end of my hair line all around. I could care less..lol

Anje
March 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Does anyone else find their neck hair irritated by turtlenecks? I get sore there when I wear one, the same way my scalp gets sore if I've had a bun on top of my head all day, then let it down.

GlassEyes
March 10th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I have nape curls. They're annoying as HELL.

Norai
March 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I thought everyone had neck hair... it never occurred to me to shave it off! :x

I had a friend in middle school once who shaved her widow's peak off, and had black hair. lol. It looked really ridiculous growing back in, was this little tuft.

BranwenWolf
March 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I have neck hair that refuses to go in a ponytail. It's also really wiry, dark and coarse.
I've decided it's going to be there no matter what, and I'm not going to shave it because it will look worse and be very itchy.

I have to shave my chin/sideburns, too. A few years ago they started getting really dark and thick, as opposed to blonde. Most of the women on my mom's side have issues with facial hair. I pluck on the front of my chin but shave the sides because it would be a pain in the butt to pluck it all.
May try waxing in the future so I don't have to get shaving cuts. I had some guy comment "well you're fine being hairy as long as you don't have to shave your face!"
Err.....

gi2121
March 11th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I also have neck hair that annoys me very much. It will always stick out of the updos and it's as long as the rest of my hair, it really doesn't look that good :(. So, with the help of 2 mirrors, I snip them but not too short, and it looks quite natural and much better.

squee
March 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Your not! :D

I got it too...along with this super wavy bit that is always at the back of my head on the bottom. It is so wavy that it hides my neck hair at times...
If image doesn't work: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4479&pictureid=62285)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4479&pictureid=62285

disneynut1977
March 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Your not! :D

I got it too...along with this super wavy bit that is always at the back of my head on the bottom. It is so wavy that it hides my neck hair at times...
If image doesn't work: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4479&pictureid=62285)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4479&pictureid=62285

Your's isn't bad at all, at least from what I can see in the picture.

TheStorm
March 15th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I got it too, really annoys me.... All I can do is cover it up by wearing my hair down or put up with it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x268/TheStormRichard/CBun.jpg

disneynut1977
March 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I got it too, really annoys me.... All I can do is cover it up by wearing my hair down or put up with it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x268/TheStormRichard/CBun.jpg

That's exactly what I got, but my hair is a different color and smack in the middle it's bare.

I'll try to remember before I have to wax it again to take picture and post it in the albums.

So far the breakouts haven't been too bad. I've been using witchhazel on my neck after every shower.

velvetcat
March 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have that too, all the way to the collar area. I use one of those little trimmers, the kind you find with an attachement for the eyebrows? I trim it super short (not quite shaving, because that gives me those red bumps) about once a week and that seems to keep it in check.

It only takes me a few minutes. I put my hair up in an updo, stand with a mirror in one hand, my back to the other and BZZZZT, gone. Then shower the little hairs away.

My hair curls elsewhere but there it's stick straight and not, IMO, pretty to look at. I'm very pleased with the (relatively) low-maintenance method I have right now.

Canarygirl
March 15th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hmmm...I was wondering what to do about this. My 'devil's horns' are super super fine, like long peach fuzz. I think after reading this thread I will use the approach mentioned of trimming them to ~ 1" long. They certainly do not stay in pony tails or anything of the sort and they look....not good the way they are now.

Dementia1013
March 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I made mention of this before, because it really bothered me too. Then it got worse!!! Handsome and I started taking DE on a regular basis. I can say that it really makes hair grow, because now my neck pubes seem to be out of control. :(

Katurday
March 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I love my little neck hairs. They add softness to every updo, instead of looking harsh and proper.

LucyHope
March 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM
It's been mentioned several times - why don't we start an album or whatever it is called? (How do we do that? *newbie*)

Also - does anyone here find their neck fluff requires heaps more conditioner than any other area near the head?!?! (For those that condition, at least.) Even when you're not leaning your neck on things during the day, or wearing high collars, and have otherwise tangle-free hair?!? I mean, jeez Louise! :rolleyes:

hendrix.co
March 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
mine are long thick and each side is about 1 1/2 inches wide. they come to the sides of my neck and theres is no wax spray or gel in the world that will tame them. So when it's time for my hair to go up I just give them a curl and cry a little.

patience
March 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've got plenty of neck hair. Just another one of those things I except about 'me'. :)

Yozhik
March 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I agree with Katurday -- I like mine and think that they soften up my updos :)

And I can't imagine what kind of pretzel I'd have to get my arms in to wax my neck, especially while looking through a mirror :p

princessp
March 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
lol--i have those too and just lamenting them today!

christine1989
March 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I had a bit of that and I HATED IT! I thought the hair on the back of my neck made me look like a monkey. Unfortunatly I had to wear my hair up for gymnastics so I got laser hair removal from my dermatologist and it was really effective and looked pretty much perfect :). Now I always wear my hair up.

ArienEllariel
March 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Yep. I'm really glad I'm not the only one. It's kind of annoying as I have these 2 horn-like patches on either side. They don't grow all that long and I doubt anyone else notices all that much.. besides, I'm waaay to lazy to ever try and keep that area hair free. It's just not worth the time.

Ash
March 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I had a bit of that and I HATED IT! I thought the hair on the back of my neck made me look like a monkey. Unfortunatly I had to wear my hair up for gymnastics so I got laser hair removal from my dermatologist and it was really effective and looked pretty much perfect :). Now I always wear my hair up.

How much is laser hair removal for that? I am seriously thinking about it because I have been shaving my neck for about 14 years. :( No one seems to have the cost for neck hair removal listed on their sites.

anemix1005
March 17th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I am so self conscience about the back of neck is anybody else?.

The reason is I don't have what I would consider normal hair growth back there. I have nape hair that goes partway to the sides of my neck and I have what looks to be devil horns, upside down on the very back, with a small clear patch right smack in the middle.

The most ironic thing is I LOVE updo's, That's 1 of the reason's I'm growing my hair. It's so embaressing though when I do have my hair up. I've tried the shaving and I just don't keep up with it. I've tried waxing and though it may last for at least 2 months before I have enough regrowth to be noticed 2-3 weeks out of that time I have what looks like alien acne,LOL, a reaction from the waxing and it's the same with warm wax and sugaring.

Please tell me I'm not the only 1 with lot's of hair on the neck.

Great! I'm not alone! :D I've always been a hairy girl, and since I have to wear my hair up at least thursdays and tuesdays, I always feel ike everybody's watching my neckhair :o
I try to ignore it tough ... :cheese:
The other days I wear my hair down :D I love the feeling

emmabovary
March 17th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I agree with Katurday! I love mine :) The baby hairs on my forehead though, those are another story :whistle:

Schmoomunitions
March 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I LOVE neck hair on men, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! And I think it looks cool on women too.