PDA

View Full Version : Flower bun

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/th_PICT0031.jpg (http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/PICT0031.jpg)

Did I invent a new (variation of a) bun?

How I did it:
I made a ponytail first and fastened it with a hair band.
Then I separated the ponytail in 6 equal-sized strands and made each strand into a double-looped knot and pinned in place (I wrapped my hair around the base of each knot twice before making the second loop, to use up the length). It can be done with 5 knots too.
To finish, I rearranged the loops a bit to form a better circle.

I have been doing this bun since I my hair was at BSL (now it's nearly waist).
If I did invent this, I would like to call it the flower bun :)

ETA:
A little slideshow that will hopefully clear the main part and step by step instructions:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/th_PICT00302.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/?action=view&current=87cc10bd.pbw)
Step 1: hold strand between 2 fingers and thumb of left hand
Step 2: lift strand (tail points up) with right hand and bring it over the 2 fingers (forming a loop)
Step 3 & 4: bring the tail to the left and rotate counterclockwise for 270°. The tail is now to the right of the loop. For longer hair: make another full wrap in after this (270° + 360°). The tail will end up at the right again.
Step 5: separate the 2 fingers inside the loop and put the tail between them.
Step 6: pull tail partly through the first loop. You have now made your second loop.
Step 7: pin in place with U-shaped pins

Wavelength
May 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
That's really gorgeous! But I'm having a hard time figuring out the explanation...

LeaM07
May 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Oh wow, that's really pretty, Isilya! I've seen styles done similarly with twisty buns instead of knots, but this one's a new one for me. :)

happylynngilmer
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I really need to work up the patience to try this bun this weekend! :} If I figure out, I'll post pics.

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thank you!

That's really gorgeous! But I'm having a hard time figuring out the explanation...

What part is troubling you? I can try to explain it better.

Wavelength
May 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Okay, after reading it over a couple more times...

I think what you did was to make a small loop around your fingers, twist the hair twice around the base of the loop, pin, then make another loop, twist the hair at the base, pin.... rinse, repeat.

Is that right or am I completely off? :o

angelthadiva
May 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
I don't know if it's new or not, but it sure is pretty! :D

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Partly right! Here's a cookie for your effort :cookie:

When making the knot, I make the first loop, wrap the hair around the base of that loop twice, make the second loop (the one you have to pull through the first one) and pin in place.
I basically repeat steps 2 to 4 in this thread for the basic knot: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=32

Did this make more sense or I'm completely incompetent at explaining?

Butters
May 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Thats very pretty. :) And new to me.

Gumball
May 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
That looks absolutely gorgeous. I love how it turned out! You did a fantastic job!

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you everyone *starts to blush*

Meli
May 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
That is very pretty! I'm not sure if I understood the instructions though... :confused: Did you do six individual double-looped knots - like separating the ponytail in six strands and then knot each of them separately?

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yes, I made six individual ones :)

Anje
May 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Very cool. I may need to try making big multi-buns like that. It looks very elaborate.

mommy101405
May 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
That's really pretty, I'm not familiar with all the buns since my hair isnt really long enough for them but its gorgeous either way. That's one of those hairstyles that makes you not want to go to bed b/c you dont want to mess it up.

blackfrostqueen
May 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Oh, I love that, very pretty!

AmandaPanda
May 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'm not too sure about the instructions, either. But it is pretty. How are you securing them?

camillacamilla
May 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
That is beautiful....I think my hair is long enough to do it too.

Angellen
May 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
It looks similar to a variation of a beehive-inspired bun I wore once for a show. But nicer, because it's not so beehive-y. I do love the look, though. :blossom:

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not too sure about the instructions, either. But it is pretty. How are you securing them?

I've tried to clarify the instructions, but if you still have questions, just ask. It always sounds logical in my head, but that's because I already know how to do it :rolleyes: Head to keyboard translation is a bit difficult.
I use simple hairpins (Amish-like) to pin the knots in place.

Thanks again people :flowers:

eadwine
May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Wow.. how long does it take you to make this? It looks gorgeous indeed :D

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you; it took me about 10 minutes.

happylynngilmer
May 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
10 minutes?! You should be dubbed "Nimblefingers of the flowering buns in order of the long haired knights"! LOL

This clumsy chick if she ever did successfully recreate a flower bun, would take all morning.

Sherri
May 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Very pretty. Looks very complex. I will have to go over the instruction a time or to to get it in my head though. Can't wait to attempt this new creation.

LeaM07
May 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
10 minutes?! You should be dubbed "Nimblefingers of the flowering buns in order of the long haired knights"! LOLLOL!! :rollin: Perfect!

Islandgrrl
May 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
It's very, very pretty! I've spent the last few minutes sitting here at my desk trying to figure it out and I have lots of crazy ends sticking in all directions! More like a dandelion bun on me...pffft!

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
10 minutes?! You should be dubbed "Nimblefingers of the flowering buns in order of the long haired knights"! LOL

You're killing me :rollin:

It's very, very pretty! I've spent the last few minutes sitting here at my desk trying to figure it out and I have lots of crazy ends sticking in all directions! More like a dandelion bun on me...pffft!

Dandelions can be pretty too :)

I'm glad everybody seems to like it, even though the instructions may not be perfectly clear yet.

annys
May 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Beautiful!!!

eadwine
May 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
10 MINUTES?

Can you come over here pretty please tomorrow morning (60th wedding anni of the gramps) and do my hair up like that? :lol:

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Is it OK if I come in my jammies?

eadwine
May 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Oh definitely, I even have a bed for you and breakfast :D

I wrapped my hair around the base of each knot twice before making the second loop, to use up the length.

Do you use that after the second loop too? Just wrap until length gone and then pin? So.. loop, wrap wrap, pin, loop, wrap wrap, pin?

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Oh good, I will come in my Nijntje-nightie then (I'm not kidding. I have those)

It's more a loop, wrap, wrap, loop, pin-motion.
I wish I could take pics of the back of my head while doing this step, it confuses people. But my camera doesn't have a timer, my mom can't takes pics and I won't even try to ask my dad :-(

The double wrap is meant for people with hair that will leave a very long tail after the knot is finished. I will go and add that too.

eadwine
May 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
loop, wrap, wrap, loop, pin-motion

THAT makes perfect sense to me! I will give that a try tomorrow morning and see if it wishes to work for me.

NIJNTJE!! Awww :D I love Nijntje!

levelek
May 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Very nice, Isilya!

Yari
May 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
What a lovely bun, Isilya! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

China Cat Sunflower
May 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
it looks beautiful. I absolutely love it:D

Raederle
May 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Very pretty; now if only my hair was thick enough to be able to make 6 sections. I'm shooting for three maybe when I have the energy.

Gwaihiril
May 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Very pretty! It looks very elaborate, but the instructions sound simple (well, now that I've mastered the double-looped knot), so I'll definitely have to give it a try. I'm thinking I may need to add extra loops though, to take up length. Thanks for sharing this, it's great!

SammieEve
May 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
How pretty! I don't suppose someone could upload a video for this for the instructionally challenged among us.... :oops:

eadwine
May 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
How pretty! I don't suppose someone could upload a video for this for the instructionally challenged among us.... :oops:

*looks at Isilya all puppy eyed* pweetie pwease?

;) I would love one as well :)

Phalaenopsis
May 3rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Oh, it look so good! I'm definitely going to try this one (too bad I don't have u-pins, I'll try it with plain flat pins)
It is sooo gorgeous, I really hope I can do this one!

Isilya
May 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
Thank you everybody!

Unfortunately, I don't have a videocamera at my disposal. But I've thought about it and I can get my hands on some string (or a shoelace) and demonstrate the loop, wrap (wrap), loop, pin-thing like that.
It will be easier to take pics of :D

AprilElf
May 3rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
That's really gorgeous, Isilya. :applause
I want to try it ... but I'll have to practice my double-looped knots first! :D

sahiba
May 3rd, 2008, 02:46 AM
This is the prettiest bun I've ever come across. Really elegent, pretty and gorgeous.I just love it.But seriously "just 10 min."?

Isilya
May 3rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
Thank you!

Yes, 10 minutes :) I just threw this one up for the pic and it's basically only making 6 little buns and rearranging them a bit.

LifeisAdventure
May 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Very pretty, I love it Isilya!

eadwine
May 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
You are so lucky with your hair. I just tried it this morning just like you told, would have been nice for that anniversary of the gramps here after all, and it became another scare crow :roll: Such slippery hair.

For anyone curious, the do that made it through the test is in my album now :lol:

Isilya
May 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
Thank you, LifeIsAdventure :)
*beams because of all the nice compliments you lovely people have given*

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you today, Eadwine,but the bun you settled on is very pretty too (you didn't seriously think I'm able to resist pics now, did you? :D).

Wavelength
May 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM

When making the knot, I make the first loop, wrap the hair around the base of that loop twice, make the second loop (the one you have to pull through the first one) and pin in place.
I basically repeat steps 2 to 4 in this thread for the basic knot: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=32

Jeez, this thread exploded while I was away! :eek:

And thanks Isilya, that makes a bit more sense to my easily-befuddled brain.

Yay! Cookie! :D

Xandergrammy
May 3rd, 2008, 06:16 AM
It's very pretty and miraculously, I understand the instructions! I'll have to give it a try when I'm feeling ambitious (I usually throw my hair up in a whatever bun and clip it. the end.)

Rosamaria
May 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Isilya, that is really beautiful. My hair might be long enough to try to copy it in about a year or two!

I am going to have to be very, very patient because I want to have a flower bun NOW :blossom: !!

eresh
May 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Very beautiful!

happylynngilmer
May 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
ok, first off, these are not the best pics but it's a camera phone and it's all I got.

I have ii hair, so I had to accomodate the amount of times I wrapped: loop, wrap, wrap, wrap, loop, wrap, wrap, pin.

I did a pony tail, and seperated it into 3 strands and I held them with claws to keep them seperated (because I want 6 equal parts) then with whatever strand I was working with, I just divided it into two. (it looks like I'm wearing a bra, but it's a spagetti strap shirt LOL)
Stage one after doing the first strand:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/happylynngilmer/05-02-08_1914-1.jpg

stage two, second strand:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/happylynngilmer/05-02-08_1916-1.jpg

Stage three: It did not come out round, but it still looks pretty cool!
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/happylynngilmer/05-02-08_1919-1-1.jpg

Side view (there is a wierd glare on my ear?!):
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/happylynngilmer/05-02-08_1921-1.jpg

It doesn't look exactly like Isilya's but I am darn proud of myself and my clumsy fingers for doing this. It held pretty well, and like Isilya said, it doesn't take long. It was under 15 minutes for me. While too long to wear it to work, for a weekend this is doable.

Isilya
May 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
That came out really nice, happylynngilmer!Well done :flowers:

Thank you for all the new comments on the bun :)

And for those who might need a visual aid, I have added a small slideshow and step-by-step instructions for the difficult part of the bun in the first post. I hope it helps you out.

happylynngilmer
May 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Love the slide show, good job! :}

eadwine
May 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you today, Eadwine,but the bun you settled on is very pretty too (you didn't seriously think I'm able to resist pics now, did you? :D).
:lol: Thank you very much!!

happylynngilmer: WOW!! Looks great :D

I also looked at the slide show just now.. I see I did it wrong! So yeah, going to give that another try likely tomorrow :) Thanks for the slide show!

Isilya
May 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I also looked at the slide show just now.. I see I did it wrong! So yeah, going to give that another try likely tomorrow :) Thanks for the slide show!

You're welcome, I'm happy it helped you out :)

eadwine
May 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I have tried it again.. unfortunately it all sags out after mere minutes with u pins. I have then tried it with claw clamps, which resulted in another scare crow updo.

My hair is just way too slippery for this sort of bun.

Isilya
May 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry your hair doesn't want to cooperate, Eadwine. But you can have a cookie too for your efforts at trying to make it work: :cookie:

eadwine
May 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
*giggles* Thanks :)

greek_lady
May 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
That is one awesome bun Isilya! Very pretty :)

memee1978
May 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
simply georgeous!!!!:cheese:

lirael
May 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
This is beautiful, I have never seen anything like it! I'll have to try it.

Isilya
May 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Thank you :o

@ Lirael: let us know how it worked out :)

hazelfaern
May 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Very pretty! I plan on trying it :)

Isilya
May 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Oh yes, do try it. And thank you for the compliment :)

happylynngilmer
May 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Thank you Isilya and Eadwine! It is not as complicated as it looks.

I did it again yesterday and it came out ROUND! :D

Isilya
May 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Yay for progress!!! :cheer:
Did you get any compliments?

happylynngilmer
May 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
LOL Yup! I wore it to my friend's new church, and the youth pastor liked it very much :} I got a picture of it, but I'm not at home to pull it off my phone :/

It looks *much* better round! :D

saman
May 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM
my hair is short but it's very nice on you.

Isilya
May 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks! You can try it once your hair has grown enough. Maybe it will work as a half-up too, that way you can try it out sooner :)

centurytoolate
May 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That's just lovely. My hair is slippery too but I'm going to give it a try anyway when I have some time.

Miss Murphy
May 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I tried it today - and I love it!
I did 3 loops on top, and 2 on the bottom. Here's what it looks like:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=275&pictureid=12909

Isilya
May 24th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Very pretty, Miss Murphy! I'm happy it worked out for you :)

nissamholtz
May 25th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Wow, that looks soooo impresive. Thanks for Sharing

Isilya
May 26th, 2008, 02:00 AM
You're welcome!

Janka
October 3rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
HELP!
I fell in love with this flower bun and wanted to wear it on my brother's wedding. So I printed out the instructions, pinned them in the bathroom... and had to give up! :-(
The first problem seem to be my layers ("onions have layers, Ogers have layers, end of story!" hihi). So the second loop (the one that is pulled through the first) is apparently thinner. OK, I thought I will just wrap once and try to hide the ends somehow...
The second problem is that my hair is uncredibly slippery! Coul have been only these days, but I need to be sure with this style, especially on the day of the wedding!
The third problem is: what pins are you using? I tried amish pins, but they did't hold. And the "normal" pins are too tight so it hurt.:confused:
The fourth problem was when working with the second (or third) hair strand, I destroyed the first loops...
I know, I'm not good at styling my hair... I manage a cinnamon bun, a few hairstick styles and a chinese bun. But this one seems out of reach for me now...:boohoo:
I was thinking of using a volume mousse to reduce the slippiness (however it's really called) or ever spray the individual strands with hair spray. I did not try it yesterday night, though.
Is there a trick that's not mentionned here in the thread or should I forget this style with my hair type? My hair is about 1inch under BSL, so the length is definitely not the problem.
Another question: which hair elastics did you use? I tried my "usual" (3mm thickness), but it seemmed too thick for the pins. So I tried a tiny-weeny one I got at the hair dresser when I was getting my updo. It did not work either... :confused:
If you have some advice for me, I am eager to learn and give it another try.
THANKS in advance!
J.

Isilya
October 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
HELP!
I fell in love with this flower bun and wanted to wear it on my brother's wedding. So I printed out the instructions, pinned them in the bathroom... and had to give up! :-(
The first problem seem to be my layers ("onions have layers, Ogers have layers, end of story!" hihi). So the second loop (the one that is pulled through the first) is apparently thinner. OK, I thought I will just wrap once and try to hide the ends somehow...
The second problem is that my hair is uncredibly slippery! Coul have been only these days, but I need to be sure with this style, especially on the day of the wedding!
The third problem is: what pins are you using? I tried amish pins, but they did't hold. And the "normal" pins are too tight so it hurt.:confused:
The fourth problem was when working with the second (or third) hair strand, I destroyed the first loops...
I know, I'm not good at styling my hair... I manage a cinnamon bun, a few hairstick styles and a chinese bun. But this one seems out of reach for me now...:boohoo:
I was thinking of using a volume mousse to reduce the slippiness (however it's really called) or ever spray the individual strands with hair spray. I did not try it yesterday night, though.
Is there a trick that's not mentionned here in the thread or should I forget this style with my hair type? My hair is about 1inch under BSL, so the length is definitely not the problem.
Another question: which hair elastics did you use? I tried my "usual" (3mm thickness), but it seemmed too thick for the pins. So I tried a tiny-weeny one I got at the hair dresser when I was getting my updo. It did not work either... :confused:
If you have some advice for me, I am eager to learn and give it another try.
THANKS in advance!
J.

First of all, I love the Shrek quote :D

Second, there are no secret tricks to do this style. As far as I know, you should be able to this after some practice. Don't give up yet :)

Now, for your problems/questions:

I think problems 1 and 2 can be solved if you do use mousse/gel/hairspray. It will give you hair better hold and it will keep the shorter hairs in place. Many people here avoid them because they can be drying, but it won't damage your hair if you use it once or twice.

I used Amish-like pins, so I don't know much about other types. I'm hoping another member will chime in to give you advice on this. The only thing I can think of, is trying to 'overbend' the normal pins a bit (pulling the 'legs' apart), so the opening between the 2 sides will be larger and it won't pull as much.

For the placing of the loops, I think this can be solved with practice. If you have 2 mirrors, you can try to place them in a way that allows you to see the back of your head while you're styling it. You'll be able to position the loops better that way.

I use 5mm hairbands. I've never noticed any problems with pinning. Do you try to stick the pins 'through' the elastic? In that case, try to get them behind the elastic (between the hairband and your head).

HTH!

Silver & Gold
October 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM

Ooooh, that explanation did it for me. I was a bit unclear about the bit where you pull the second loop through the first. But now I get it.

Wow, I like this a lot. I might be able to adapt a similar style on my own hair soon if not now. My hair's a bit on the short side but I'm thinking I might be able to take smaller sections of hair and make smaller loops to compensate. I do have a crochet hook to assist me. Hmmmmmmm . . .

6monkeys
October 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thank you so much, Isylda. What a beautiful bun

kunibob
October 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I did this for my staff Christmas formal last year, but your version looks wayyyy better!!

Arniky
October 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM
looks nice

Isilya
October 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the compliments everybody :)

@ Silver & Gold: I hope this style will work out for you.

Silver & Gold
October 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the compliments everybody :)

@ Silver & Gold: I hope this style will work out for you.

I did try to do a variation on this but alas, I simply need more hair. I simply have to many short layers and not enough length either. But that's OK, one more thing to look forward to trying "someday".

Isilya
October 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I did try to do a variation on this but alas, I simply need more hair. I simply have to many short layers and not enough length either. But that's OK, one more thing to look forward to trying "someday".

Too bad... But I'm sure your hair will look gorgeous in this style once it's long enough :)

Janka
October 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the advice, Isilya!
However, using mirrors only confuses me more. I'm one of those people who cannot switch the brain to think in th mirror ;-)
I will give the style another try, this time with mousse or even spray to make my hair less slippery. I will also try to put the pins under the elastic, as you said. That could have been part of the problem, because the pins stayed open...
I tried another of your styles I like very much - the woven bun. It seemed easier to do for me. However, I think I was too distracted and messed the under/over part somewhere, 'cause I ended with a very, uhm, unsymetrical thing ;-)
OK, I keep practicing. Otherwise, I will have to make a last minute appointment with my hairdresser for an updo or stick to the chinese bun ;-)
Thanks to everybody here at LHC, I learned so much already. Now it's time to try new styles...

Isilya
October 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Good luck, Janka!

BTW, I'm glad you like that other bun too :)

lynnc72
November 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
This style is similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDEW_0E08kA

I too can't use the u-shaped pins. Perhaps I don't have enough hair. I use regular bobby pins.

This style is gorgeous. Thanks for posting!

Ryanne
November 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
It looks pretty.

Cactus Jack
November 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Flower Bun,
Many thanks for listing to U-Tube instructions. It is always nice to find sources where I can improve my skills. What a beautiful hairstyle. :)

aprilmay
November 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Isilya, that is beautiful! I don't have much time to play with my hair and my daughter begs me to wear it down so I am not sure when I will get a chance to try this fun style. Thanks for sharing your pic and instructions.

katiana
November 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Isilya, wow..what a beautiful bun!! I am going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing..

Isilya
November 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)