PDA

View Full Version : Constant exposure to the computer screen causing shedding??

Lia_Vaumont
March 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I was just wondering if constant exposure to the computer screen causes shedding. That's what I've noticed every time I spend more than 2 hours a day on the computer. Maybe its just stress, but perhaps there are other explanations.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for reminding us all to get off our butts and get some exercise outdoors :)

I can't imagine the mechanism by which a computer screen would cause shedding, unless you have an x-ray gun hidden inside the thing.

Tresses
March 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I'd be bald if that were true. :lol:

Lia_Vaumont
March 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for reminding us all to get off our butts and get some exercise outdoors :)

I can't imagine the mechanism by which a computer screen would cause shedding, unless you have an x-ray gun hidden inside the thing.
I'm not sure if it's the screen exposure itself or if it's caused by stress. You see, I just started working as a content writer/editor, and so I now spend upwards of eight hours in front of a computer screen (during night-shifts). Yeah, perhaps it could be stress, but I used to work at an internet cafe at normal hours and noticed the same thing. Maybe its the radiation from the screen? Lol. I really don't know, but it does worry me. I just try to not dwell on it so much otherwise I'd totally freak. I already have programmed genes that might make me monk-headed by the time I'm 25, unless of course I get out of here and start digging myself out of this prison of a body... so yeah, I'd freak if it were really true. I'm just wondering if any of you experience the same thing or if this is just another of my odd experiences.

That is a scary thought for me...

Copasetic
March 8th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Same here! I spend hours in front of my computer screen every day and I still have a head full of thick hair.

florenonite
March 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure if it's the screen exposure itself or if it's caused by stress. You see, I just started working as a content writer/editor, and so I now spend upwards of eight hours in front of a computer screen (during night-shifts). Yeah, perhaps it could be stress, but I used to work at an internet cafe at normal hours and noticed the same thing. Maybe its the radiation from the screen? Lol. I really don't know, but it does worry me. I just try to not dwell on it so much otherwise I'd totally freak. I already have programmed genes that might make me monk-headed by the time I'm 25, unless of course I get out of here and start digging myself out of this prison of a body... so yeah, I'd freak if it were really true. I'm just wondering if any of you experience the same thing or if this is just another of my odd experiences.

There's no radiation coming from computer screens, AFAIK, besides ordinary light (if you're using the technical term :p), but you're exposed to that all day whether or not you're looking at a computer screen.

HildeMV
March 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
That would be ironic for people who come here to take care of their hair.

And I would be bald too. Even during the summer I was working in an office. :p

spidermom
March 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Nope, at least not around here. My job is the computer, plus I hang out here.

Magdalene
March 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It's m ost likely the stress.

linda g
March 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Too funny! Same here.

HildeMV
March 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
That would be ironic for people who come here to take care of their hair.

And I would be bald too. Even during the summer I was working in an office. :p

bumblebums
March 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM

If you are using an old-school CRT screen, I suppose there is a possibility of a small dose radiation exposure. I haven't seen a CRT screen in a few years, though. Most computers these days have LCD screens, which only emit light.

Stress, whether work-induced or not, could of course contribute to hair loss. If you are really concerned about your stress levels, perhaps try to incorporate some quick exercise breaks into your workday? I like to get up off my work chair and do some quick yoga now and then, or get up and chat with colleagues.

2peasinapod
March 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Add me to the list of people who would be bald if it were true. Maybe it's stress or your body reacting badly to night shift?

EdG
March 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Make sure that your hair isn't getting caught on your chair.

I put a pillowcase over the back of my office chair to prevent my hair from being snagged between the cloth and plastic parts of the back. :)
Ed

JenniferNoel
March 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Are we dealing with CRTs, LCDs, plasmas, or penetrons?

Let's see who uses what, and make some comparisons, eh?

Lia_Vaumont
March 8th, 2010, 08:32 PM
There's no radiation coming from computer screens, AFAIK, besides ordinary light (if you're using the technical term :p), but you're exposed to that all day whether or not you're looking at a computer screen.
Whew. That's good to know... does that apply to the old-fashioned big bulky TV like screens as well?

Whew. That's good to know... does that apply to the old-fashioned big bulky TV like screens as well?
Eeep. Correction. Bugger. Um... does it apply to LCD screens or the big bulky TV-like kinds? Cause the big ones are what we use in the office (oh yes, I know... we are soooo outdated... Lol.)

If you are using an old-school CRT screen, I suppose there is a possibility of a small dose radiation exposure. I haven't seen a CRT screen in a few years, though. Most computers these days have LCD screens, which only emit light.

Stress, whether work-induced or not, could of course contribute to hair loss. If you are really concerned about your stress levels, perhaps try to incorporate some quick exercise breaks into your workday? I like to get up off my work chair and do some quick yoga now and then, or get up and chat with colleagues.
I believe its the stress to... but I'm just narrowing down ALL probabilities. :D

Make sure that your hair isn't getting caught on your chair.

I put a pillowcase over the back of my office chair to prevent my hair from being snagged between the cloth and plastic parts of the back. :)
Ed
We can't let our hair down at work. It's all updos or high-ponytails, but hey, at least they let me keep mine. :D That in of itself is a good thing. Mine practically stays out of the way. But a pillow would be nice and comfortable though... ^_^

Aero
March 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Lack of blood flow will cause hair to fall out quicker. Maybe try scalp massages while on the computer?

Lia_Vaumont
March 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Add me to the list of people who would be bald if it were true. Maybe it's stress or your body reacting badly to night shift?
*nods* Maybe. I'm still waiting for this week to end so I can be re-assigned to the day shift.

Lack of blood flow will cause hair to fall out quicker. Maybe try scalp massages while on the computer?
I massage mine with coconut oil infused with rosemary before I sleep. ^_^

tig-man
March 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM
maybe its not so much the computer or the computer screen. do you have a seat with back support? i noticed that the ends of my hair, right by where the back pad of the chair is, is dryer then all the other parts of my hair. its from being constantly rubbed between my back and the pad, and switching position... not to mention the really rough fabric that my computer chair is upholstered with.

oh, just read your hair is up when you're at work, that blows my theory right out of the water

linda g
March 9th, 2010, 04:36 AM
What about other work factors? Lack of daylight, poor air quality? (This describes my workspace, I'm sure it's not good for me!)

cardamom
March 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
That's the last thing I want to hear.I'm enjoying a short vacation and mostly glued to my computer chair :rolleyes: