PDA

View Full Version : Combination hair?

HintOfMint
March 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Hi! Newbie here.

When hairtyping, we're asked to define our hair as fine, medium, or coarse. However, I have ALL of those textures on my head.

Some hairs are like spidersilk, some regular, some like steel cables, and don't even get me started on those strange curly wires on the top of my head. To top it all off, a few random hairs are actually ROUGH. Not curly, wavy or frizzy, but rough, like sandpaper.

How would I type my hair, and more importantly, how does this change how I would treat my hair? Overall, my ponytail circumference is exactly 4 inches (not including bangs) and it is pretty voluminous.

On a side note: What ARE those rough random hairs??? Am I damaging my hair or scalp in some way, or are they normal?

Chamy
March 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have the exact same problem, and i just put my setting on medium(thinking it would somewhat even out things :P ).
Ill be watching this thread for answers since i dont really have any.

Oh and welcome to the forums HintOfMint :)

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Typing is frustrating... I had issues with the curliness typing - somewhere in the 2s, but so erratic with the waves on top, and switching between waves and ringlets underneath depending on hair product/weather/drying/phase of the moon/what colour my t-shirt is... :p Sounds like your best guess might be medium?

With regard to those "renegade fuzzies", do you know of your genetic background? My family is all Scots/Irish/English (traceable back to the 17th century in most areas), and my sister has patches of wiry zig-zag frizz that the (taken aback) hairdresser classed as technically "negroid". :-D (My sister's hair is light- to dark-blonde, with shades of ginger, for the record.) Maybe you have a similar situation, with a random genetic factor popping up where it has no obvious reason to be?

GoddesJourney
March 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have fewer fine hairs and more coarsies so I just went with the M/C. Anyway, a lot of my really fine hairs are only that way because of damage, so what can you do? I get the rough ones too. I have mostly flat hairs even though my hair is relatively straight. The get wavier depending on mood apparently. The damaged ones are curly at the ends sometimes. The coarsies are often kinky. I was 1c/2a until a month or so ago. 4 inches? Check. Yeah, I feel your pain in this hair typing thing. I'm assuming you're as mixed as I am. Just choose M unless you feel like you lean toward one side or the other.

HintOfMint
March 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Chamy!

To LucyHope: In regard to my background, I'm Indian. Full Bengali, specifically. The lineage goes back pretty far, to perhaps 18th century, when my mom's ancestor came to Bengal from Punjab. I guess we generally have the wavy, wurly type of hair, or straight. I haven't met any Indians with full blown curls, although I'm sure they're out there. I'm pretty sure I'm 100% Indian, particularly in light of a pretty strict caste system and arranged marriages. That is, unless some great great great to the Nth power grandmother got frisky, if that's alright for me to say here:eyebrows:

And "renegade fuzzies," what a perfect way to describe them:)

Back to the frizzies themselves, some of the hairs actually have a smooth tip, for about an inch, and then become "renegade fuzzies," go rogue, as it were.
To all three of y'all, I guess we all learn to appreciate our mixed up hair! I think I'll go with a solid M

julliams
March 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm right there with you - have every texture of hair on my head. Some are as thick as wires and slubby and others are babyfine and straight. There's one spot where there are more of the fine, smooth hairs which is kind of funny. Of course all the frizzy ones make up the canopy :roll: