PDA

View Full Version : no more measuring

natorade
March 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I am packing away my tape measure. Last night, after I styled my hair, I thought my hair actually looked cute. I still have my bad hair moments, but I am having happy with my hair moments too. Because I thought my hair looked so cute, I decided that for now on, I can live with it as it grows, so, I' am packing up the tape measure. No more measuring and being upset because I feel It's not measuring longer. I am going to let my hair do it it's thing and just continue taking monthly pictures, to keep track of progress. I am still loving the coconut oil too.

marikamt
March 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I did the same thing and am WAY less stressed about my hair...

minuteofdecay
March 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I'm already obsessed enough with my hair, that if I were to constantly measure my hair I think I would go crazy!

Ravenne
March 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I've told myself that the only time I'll pick up my tape measurer is the beginning of the month when I measure in/take length photos. For the rest of the month... I just try not to think about it. And it does help me love what I've got instead of wishing I had more. :)

Rivanariko
March 7th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I used to measure and take length shots at the beginning of the month when I first joined (last summer) but my growth slowed way down in the winter, so I've been letting it go. I don't think I've measured or taken a length shot in 2-3 months. I know I made it to hip. Part of it is measuring is kind of a hassle for me. I have to let it air dry straight after a shower, and since I usually shower at night after riding, I'm ready to go to bed by the time it's close to dry, and I braid it at night, and almost every day. I'll probably go back to measuring this summer, when I get that summer growth spurt going. But for now, it seems to be happy just being.

I'm glad to hear that you've decided to just be happy with your hair though :) That should be all of our ultimate goal, really.

Keildra
March 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I never measured, not really because I didn't want to but because I don't own a tape measure I didn't think it was important enough to go out and buy. I've always just let my hair grow and measure by milestone, I think it's more fun and easier something I can do without having to remember to do it with wet hair or stretched dry hair. Also I don't confuse my self by measuring wrong or something. I love doing it this way I don't think even if I got a tape measure I would measure my hair that's just how I am.

Rhiannon7
March 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Good for you. less stress and alot more fun. i used to measure last summer and fall and was going insane not seeing any length growing, then decided to do benign neglect and simply measure once every 6-8 weeks. since i mostly wash at night by the time my hair gets remotely dry i want to go to bed, so i measure just after wet combing to detangle. the length does not get much shorter when dry since i barely get any waves so i see very little difference, maybe 1/2 an inch shorter when dry. decided to simply take pics once a month and measure once every 6-8 weeks to update any length growing and to document how fast my hair grows when it does not stall.

So have fun taking pics and having less stress and enjoy your hair.

CuddlyChicken
March 8th, 2010, 02:03 AM
:cheese: (the cheese agrees)

I'm not measuring mine. I used to measure my virgin hair when I was taking Biotin and DE to see if there was a huge difference but as I stopped taking those now I also stopped measuring. I also wear my hair up most of the time (well, the back, can't get the front bit into a ponytail or anything :D) so I notice growths a bit better when it's down on the odd occasion. It's like "ohhh, my hair is brushing my neck now, how awesome is that? *moves head from one side to the other*"
A very sad thing to do but whatever keeps me going right? :D

Pixna
March 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I don't measure either. In fact, I sort of made a vow not to measure this time around, except in terms of body parts. It's just too frustrating and makes me a tad obsessive. I also am not taking progress pictures but every three to four months, for the same reasons. That way, I can see some real progress among the photos. If I take a pic every month, it's going to make me feel as though I'm not getting anywhere (and it would also feed my obsessive tendencies). I'd rather just enjoy the growing process instead of fretting about whether my hair is getting longer.

Svenja
March 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Keep an old proverb from Africa in mind: the grass does not grow any faster when you pull it

So: the hair does not grown any faster, when you constantly measure it :):)

I do not measure my hair at all. It'd drive me nuts!

Suszi
March 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Keep an old proverb from Africa in mind: the grass does not grow any faster when you pull it

So: the hair does not grown any faster, when you constantly measure it :):)

I do not measure my hair at all. It'd drive me nuts!

Haha, this is true!

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I only measure once a year now. In the beginning I measured every month and it was way too frustrating and stressful.

juliaxena
March 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I don't measure or else I'd go crazy. It makes me frustrated enough that I can only do so much with my hair. I liked my hair short, I liked my hair long, I just hate this in between stage.

aililiú
March 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
i never measure my hair :) i dont care what number its at, its all about how it looks visually. the number is irrelevant.
kind of like body weight-- i never weigh myself-- it really doesnt matter what the number on the scale is, as long as i look/feel the right size :)

jesamyn
March 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I stopped measuring too. Chasing the number was really getting to me, especially now that my hair is harder for me to measure solo. Different measurements can just be my inability to measure! So I'm sticking with body part markers now. Glad you are happy with your hair!

jenga
March 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a smart plan! Your hair does look super cute so I wouldn't worry about it either.

Do you mind if I ask how you use the coconut oil?