PDA

View Full Version : What inspired you to grow long hair?

Pages : [1] 2 3

autumnsdaughter
March 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed! I searched, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

What was the inspiration to grow your hair long? I know I was always drawn to Pre-Raphaelite works depicting long haired women (which must be a shared interest here, judging by avatars!) and fairy tales that told about the magic of long hair. I'm just curious about how you all came to want long hair!

Ravenne
March 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've envied the long hair in the Lord of the Rings movies for years. Lol. And besides that it was just me getting tired of being stuck with a handful of hairstyle options. Down. Up. Half up..... That's it. Lol. I wanted braids and buns and pretty feminine styles.

minuteofdecay
March 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I had long hair when I was younger, but when I became a teenager I took advantage of it, I bleached, dyed, fried, etc... and eventually cut it short. I like/miss the look of long healthy hair... and it doesn't help that I have a mother whom I see all the time who's hair is past her waist!

sarah061
March 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Ooh lots of things!

The paintings of John William Waterhouse (avatar pic!), disney princesses like Jasmine and Sleeping Beauty - they looked so beautiful, feminine and graceful and I always wanted to put on a pretty gown and dance around with my hair swirling around me like that, hehe.

Emmy Rossum's hair in Phantom of the Opera (nearly persuades me to get a perm every time I watch it: http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/andrew_lloyd_webber_s_the_phantom_of_the_opera/_group_photos/emmy_rossum10.jpg

Any "period piece" film in general that has women pulling combs out of their hair before bed to reveal long gorgeous tumbling locks that were so cleverly concealed by the updo.

And also just being frustrated by short hair in general - such fewer ways to style it and whenever it's summer and I'm at the beach I always wish to god I had long hair to go with my bikini, hehe.
Great thread! :)

satoushiri
March 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Period films have inspired me also. I'm a huge Jane Austen nut, so I have pretty much every movie that ever was adapted from her books ... I like to dream of the idea of semi-upper class/upper class self having someone else come in and style my hair into these intricate do's everyday :P

I have also been inspired by everyone here at the LHC who have put so much time and effort into such amazing hair! The styling especially! I have seen so many styles that made me say to myself "just a few more inches and I will be able to do that!" This is my first ever post, but I've been lurking for a while (even as a signed up member), and I just wanted thank everyone here for doing what you do!

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Generally Bollywood movies, particularly the scene in Devdas where I think it is Parvati who smacks Devdas with her braid. A gesture that is both fiesty and devastatingly feminine.
But that is in terms of looks. A more visceral inspiration was probably tipping my head back and feeling my (compared to y'all) short hair tickle my back. It was a very comforting feeling and I wanted that all the time. It was probably that feeling alone that really drove me to not only have long hair (compared to what everybody else thinks is "long") but hip length, whoa nelly hair.

Keildra
March 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The urge to be slightly different. And a really bad pixie cut. My hair was at Bra strap length by the time I joined and I thought my hair was already pretty long but then when I was looking for styling videos on youtube I found so many with beyond waist hair that I had to try and go all the way.

formunkyfrommom
March 8th, 2010, 12:04 AM
religious conviction :)

Rhiannon7
March 8th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I am obsessed with Medieval History and Archeology and have always wanted to have classic and beyond hair like in the fairy tales i was read when i was a child. plus i had classic length hair as a child so wanted that length back. my fave story was Rapunzel, so love long hair. that is what inspired me to grow it long again, besides the last thing my Dear Departed Hubby asked me to do was grow my hair to my knees. so doing as he asked.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
The people here, of course??

So much beautiful hair to admire:)

BunnyBee
March 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Allergy to hair dye > Looked into henna > Found this place > No looking back :)

Quite simple really.

Kirry-Folk
March 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Sailor Moon. :laugh:

countryhopper
March 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I've always loved long hair, but felt like my hair didn't look good long. But DH kept giving nice compliments of how long my hair was getting (due to a move and fear of gettiing a new hairdresser, plus hotter weather wich makes putting my hair up much better than trying to style it, only to have it go limp).

So, I decided to try to let my hair grow to BSL. Now I'm reconcidering that and thinking closer to waist might be nice...

Chamy
March 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM
For me it was a series of bad experinces with lousy haircuts. I decided to never cut again(except to even out and get rid of damage), and i have firmly kept that promise. Plus the fact that long hair is simply gorgeous!

crabpixie
March 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Fairy tales (rapunzel) Samson and delila (oddly!) Ariel in the little mermaid with her fire red locks floating in the water and the first moment I laid eyes on Daryl Hannah in "Splash" I was mesmerized by her long golden crimped locks. As a little girl it was my aspiration to have long flowing hair.
I will be honest in that I associate long hair with beauty, when my hair is short I don't feel as feminine. There are some girls out there that look beautiful with short pixie cuts, but I'm not one of them, I have very heavy brows and look quite masculine!

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I grew up surrounded by longhairs of both genders, and Mum grew my hair long (actually, she just left it be) and by the time I was three it was waist length. At that age I played "hairdressers" with the girl down the road, and then I had no hair. :p I grew it again until I was seven, then got a crew cut. I grew it again until I was 12, then got a 20s-style ultra-short bob. I grew it again until I was 18, then got a Roxy (http://danes-sweety.deviantart.com/art/Gen-13-Roxy-aka-Freefall-40577289) hairstyle. I grew it again for a while, then had a boredom-hissyfit and chopped it off with the kitchen scissors (The English Patient was boring).

It got back down to collar-length again, and I was starting to think about how/if to chop it, when two things happened:

1) I reacted (mildly) to hair dye, and chopped it off to a pixie-cut rather than grow out blondy-browny-gingery hair with 10-12" BLACK ends. :eyebrows:
2) Someone I love said to me, "How bout growing it out this time? Show me you can do it - show me you can stick to something! Nice, long, beautiful hair. Go for it." So I did. :D

Additional factors are ones others have mentioned - short hair is hard to style without copious amounts of product and heat-styling, long hair is pretty and feminine, and constant haircutting is expensive!

CuddlyChicken
March 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Sailor Moon rocks :D

To me it has always been a life long dream to have "long" hair. I've had chemo when I was 4, lost my hair and only regrew baby fine blond hair. Always had to keep it short which gave me some sort of boyish look. When I was about 10/11 my hair started darkening again but it took another few years before it gained a bit more thickness. It's still not thick but now I'm confident in finally growing it long. Screw all the people who made me believe that my hair is too thin to ever grow it long :draw::hatchet:

autumnsdaughter
March 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I grew up surrounded by longhairs of both genders, and Mum grew my hair long (actually, she just left it be) and by the time I was three it was waist length. At that age I played "hairdressers" with the girl down the road, and then I had no hair. :p

Oh, you made me flash back to memories I had forgotten! My childhood next door neighbor was a girl, my age, who had the most beautiful, silky, long raven hair! I remember playing with it and putting it into all sorts of up-do's and braids! I was so jealous of her, as my hair was boring (to me) blonde, wavy, and only a bit past my shoulders.

I have to say, the replies are so fascinating! I love hearing all of your stories! Keep them coming!:D

Renbirde
March 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM
It was long when I was little. I had a... whim when I was in the third grade (=collar-length blunt) and hated having it in my face. I can't stand headbands, and clips would fall right our.

Irregular trims => longer hair. :)

I got layers put in around 8th grade, and the hair-in eyes thing stated all over again. You'd think I'd learn. :D In the process of growing out the layers, it got longer.. and longer... and longer...

And I like it that way. :) So it was really more of an accident than an inspiration/ goal thingy.

Now... old paintings, coupled with all the lovely heads about the forums here. (And I'm still too lazy to get regular cuts. I can manage about once a year, no more. XD )

cardamom
March 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I myself had thick and long hair (my dream hair at present) till I was 18 or 20.I used coconut oil with Indian herbs(my mother's and grandma's recipe for their 50+ long thick locks) and juice of hibiscus leaves and flowers as conditioner.I still remember extracting juice from garden fresh aloe,henna,indigo and eclipta (The list is incomplete)
Later I abandoned those traditional treatments and was after variety of shampoos,for which I blame lifestyle changes,eduction,stress,lack of time.....
Now I am starting all over again at a little below BSL.

cardamom
March 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I myself had thick and long hair (my dream hair at present) till I was 18 or 20.I used coconut oil with Indian herbs(my mother's and grandma's recipe for their 50+ long thick locks) and juice of hibiscus leaves and flowers as conditioner.I still remember extracting juice from garden fresh aloe,henna,indigo and eclipta (The list is incomplete)
Later I abandoned those traditional treatments and was after variety of shampoos,for which I blame lifestyle changes,eduction,stress,lack of time.....

Princess Kitti
March 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Generally Bollywood movies, particularly the scene in Devdas where I think it is Parvati who smacks Devdas with her braid. A gesture that is both fiesty and devastatingly feminine.
But that is in terms of looks. A more visceral inspiration was probably tipping my head back and feeling my (compared to y'all) short hair tickle my back. It was a very comforting feeling and I wanted that all the time. It was probably that feeling alone that really drove me to not only have long hair (compared to what everybody else thinks is "long") but hip length, whoa nelly hair.

Seeing Devdas is what inspired me to grow my hair! (Along with loosing alot of it to illness and wanting lots back in return!) All the women in that movie had the most amazing gorgeous hair.

Suszi
March 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM
My mom. She let me grow my hair from a very young age. I saw pictures from her when she was younger (18-20's) and she had exactly the same hair as me! It was long and beautiful!

Saranne772
March 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Well I have always had pretty long hair due to my faith. However I just keep growing and growing because I LOVE long hair. Its feminine, beautiful, unusual and I can do lots of things with it.

akka naeda
March 8th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Nothing.
I just leave it and it grows, so right now I'm leaving it in order to see if it will get to my ankles and still have a fairly thick hemline. I also have better things to do with my time and money than going to have it styled on a regular basis. I did shave it off when it was between BSL and waist and at that point I discovered I missed it being longer so I grew it back.

hanne jensen
March 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Ever since I was a little girl I've wanted a braid long enough to make a crown of. Life got in the way and I chopped every time I reached APL. Last year DH asked if I would grow my hair long. I thought "why not". I'm not getting any younger and if I ever want to achieve my dream, the time is now.

BelleBot
March 8th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I've always had long hair. The only time I didn't was when I was a baby/toddler. And I once chopped it to BSL when I was 18, which I now regret. (Sorry, I don't really consider BSL as long hair)
Plus all the Disney princesses keep me inspired to have long hair. And throughout my life I've always had far more attention for long healthy hair than any of my friends with the latest fashion trend hair. It keeps my ears and back warm and looks pretty. Plus it's so unusual to see women with hair longer than BSL it makes me stand out a bit and keeps me individual. It's a winning formula, plus I wouldn't be me without long hair.

indigonight
March 8th, 2010, 04:18 AM
LHC did! and the lovely locks I see here!

Masara
March 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM
It just feels right.

I grew my hair as a teen mainly because I never liked it when it was cut. I also liked being slightly "different".
I found this site when I was planning on grwing to my shoulders (I know, I know) Seeing all the wonderful long hair inspired me to keep going, plus as it got longer I felt more "me"

jasper
March 8th, 2010, 05:13 AM
It's lack of inspiration, in my case. I grew out a shorter style years ago, with something in mind, but by the time it got long enough for a new style, I didn't remember what I'd had in mind. I got inspired a couple of years ago to go shorter and get some face framing layers, so I cut off some length at that time, and I've just been growing, uninspired, since then. Inspiration tends to make my hair get shorter. :cheese:

Hana
March 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM

sounds lovely. so which do you prefer, your herb method or the ease of the conventional products?

cardamom
March 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM
sounds lovely. so which do you prefer, your herb method or the ease of the conventional products?

Hana, if you have time and patience,Indian herbs can give you amazing results.

At a certain point of life,I believed that oil = dirt and herbal care is not trendy!

Hana
March 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hana, if you have time and patience,Indian herbs can give you amazing results.

At a certain point of life,I believed that oil = dirt and herbal care is not trendy!

Being trendy is something I never have been, so I dont worry too much about that.

I'm glad to hear the herbs worked for you! :cool: I've heard a lot about them, but have never tried them, I'm always short of time.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I wanted long hair as a child but my mom kept it short. When I was allowed control of my hair I started growing it. It was the 60s and that was what was in then. I've gone up to shoulders a few times but always missed longer hair so much. I guess my inspiration would be not liking short hair.

enfys
March 8th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I always had long hair, it was classic length in high school and college. I then tried shorter hair (BSL) which just isn't me. So I'm growing it again.

xoxophelia
March 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
My hair has also traditionally been long (usually between BSL to somewhere above TB).. I went through my experimental phase and then decided I just didn't feel like "me".. . Me and short hair just do not go together.

I also like the PRB paintings :).. but I guess I liked them because they reminded me of myself haha

Garnet66
March 8th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I was always forced to have long hair as a child. When I was finally able to do what I wanted to it I got it cut very short. I still remember the look of shock my parents had on their faces when they saw my short hair. The cut was more of a "ha-ha I can do what I want now". I kept it short for many years and didn't think of growing it long. A few years ago I was looking for hair styles I could grow my hair into. When I saw all the long hair, that's what I wanted. But since my hair grows so slow I kept getting frustrated and kept cutting it all the time. But now I've got myself in the mindset that I am going to get it long. I also realized that I looked like a man with short hair (I kept denying it). I know my hair isn't anywhere near long but I do think I look better than I did when it was super short. And everyone here (long or short hair) really keeps me motivated.

paperwhite
March 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I had long hair (probably WL) until I was 13 when the perm from hell happened. The "stylist" my mother made me go to said she couldn't (wouldn't) perm my hair unless she cut a good deal of the length off. All I wanted was some kind of large, loose curls, just to add some body to my superfine hair. She chopped it to just below my shoulders, permed it to within an inch of it's life (I had a great deal of breakage because she didn't know how to handle fine hair--it literally broke off in my hands), and after all was said and done, I had awful poodle hair that was above my shoulders. I was devastated and vowed never to perm again. That was 14 years ago and though I've dyed and cut a few times (the shortest I ever went was chin length), I still stick to the no-perm vow. I'll just deal with my straight hair and learn to love the bun curls and waves I get, as short lived as they may be :) I've always looked and felt better with longer hair, so that's what I'm sticking with. Now I'm just growing to see how long I can get it :)

myrrhmaiden
March 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
The first drawings I did as a child were stick people. They were carefully placed high on the page so that I could draw the hair as long as possible. I would often continue the hair off of the page entirely. This was my habitual doodle.

Long hair has been a part of my psyche my whole life. I'm not sure where it came from. It is the only thing that feels right, and I don't feel like me without it.

Blueneko
March 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed! I searched, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

What was the inspiration to grow your hair long? I know I was always drawn to Pre-Raphaelite works depicting long haired women (which must be a shared interest here, judging by avatars!) and fairy tales that told about the magic of long hair. I'm just curious about how you all came to want long hair!

I was looking at a web site for the local Renaissance Faire and saw a link for a hair braider. Looking at the link I realized that I missed the long hair of my youth, and her site had a link to here! That was July 2007.

Simple
March 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
This is my first day at Long Hair Community, and I thought I should think over what inspired me to grow my hair long so that I can focus on my goal.

The thought came up when I became a bit fat, and almost shoulder length hair does not make you appear thinner, so I decided to grow my hair longer and keep it this way. But my lifetime problem was my fine, thin hair and the scalp appearing through it; so making my hair grow longer instead of short and layered would not make my hair look fuller. So it was my body size from one side and my slightly haired scalp at the crown. Thank God that didn't stop me, I searched for ways to grow more hair and I came up with pretty much information. I went shopping for supplies but honestly have not started yet, and this is why I am here now; to be enlightened by you ladies :)

Thank you for reading this..

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I was always forced to have long hair as a child. When I was finally able to do what I wanted to it I got it cut very short. I still remember the look of shock my parents had on their faces when they saw my short hair. The cut was more of a "ha-ha I can do what I want now".
Ha! its exact opposite for me. I was forced to have short hair, and grew it to knee length for my "ha-ha, i can do what i want now" statement.

back on topic, here's the inspiration. its not me, of course, mine was longer then this before i cut it nearly a decade ago.

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/72/Herman_Li.jpg

moderation ETA: please read this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939&highlight=hotlinking thanks :flower:

happy
March 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I had hair about BSL ten years ago. Cut it after getting married and than really cut it short after having my second child. I really missed being able to put it up and so have kept it at least shoulder length for year now. But, my husband really prefers longer hair and I miss being able to do all the neat braids and buns and such. So, am going to commit to growing until BSL length again. We shall see if I stop there. :)

melusine
March 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Most of my inspiration for long hair comes from medieval and renaissance times, mythology and stories. I love the fairytaleness of long hair. I remember as a child I used to love the character Nimue from Arthurian legends who I used to imagine with really long hair. I love mermaid imagery and I'm also inspired by art like the pre-raphaelite paintings, waterhouse and the flowing whimsical mucha hairstyles.

:heartbeat

Arriens
March 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
'm just curious about how you all came to want long hair!Headbanging in a metal pit with 2cm long hair doesn't look right.

Now on apl and it looks better. :)
Just that my musical tastes changed and that I rarely go to metal parties is something that makes up for less hair damage. :)

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
interesting. so many renaissance and medieval references. Usually, men are depicted, in period movies, with long hair as well, albeit in some sort of pony tail. Wonder why men aren't influenced by the same movie/novel/painting/sculptures.. etc. I've been playing "early music" since i was 5 years old, and i can't say arts of that period had anything to my hair length... however, arts of the last 3 decades has though.

Dimitri'sMom
March 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM
The lovely hair on this forum, for one. I've always thought women look more beautiful with long hair, and I FEEL more beautiful with long hair. I had pretty hair in high school, and ignored the pangs I felt when I cut it off into a more trendy hairstyle. I've never had that length since due to poor haircare and laziness, but I feel renewed now and hopeful that I can have long hair again.

Laurenji
March 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'd alway had BSL length hair in high school. I got a bob my freshman year of college because of that whole "I'm free and independent and want to be a new person" feeling that I think a lot of people get when they move out for the first time. Eventually though, I decided I wanted it long again. I was really only thinking BSL or so...but then I found the LHC and learned what truly long hair is and how to love it. :)

Rennire
March 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Barbie dolls! I know is not good to idolize Barbie's looks but since I was a little girl I wanted to have long hair like she did. It was so much fun to braid and play with!

squee
March 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
My inner hippy, pagan self. :)

I just feel better having long healthy hair. I am more confident and I feel....beautiful I guess you can say. That is something that I have rarely felt in my life, I like it! :D

Henrietta
March 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Most of my inspiration for long hair comes from medieval and renaissance times, mythology and stories. I love the fairytaleness of long hair.
Yes!

And in my case there's one more reason, the most important one. When I was a child I had long hair, like tailbone lenght. My Mum loved them. She used to make updos for me everyday morning before I went to kindergarten... She wanted me to have long hair. Sounds like she forced me, but I liked them too, a lot. Then she died. And then I cut my hair drastically.. Like ears lenght. Now, after few years I thought that I can grow my hair again to have something that would remind me her. So... I'm growing.

farewell_nancy
March 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I've been attempting to femme up my look for the past year to counter balance my more surly character traits. Longer hair seemed like a solid femme move.

embee
March 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
What inspired me to grow long hair?

Money.

I was not really in a position to spend several hundred dollars a year to keep my hair looking neat. It never looked pretty, being thin, straight, and plain colored - and it usually got pretty shaggy before I'd get a trim. It's still thin, straight, and plain colored, but it is *very* neat and I'm delighted. :) Plus, it doesn't tickle my face any more, being all pulled back in a bun.

barbararla
March 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Seeing all the lovely hair pictures on here and links to other pictures of women with really long hair. For now though I'm aiming to grow past my bra-line and then I'll see...

Sweetness
March 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Deciding to be the most beautiful and healthy I can be, inside out. Long hair included :oops:

Anywhere
March 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Amy Lee of Evanescence. Her hair used to be so long and lovely, and that was when I decided to grow long too. :)

adiapalic
March 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Disney movies (Ariel of The Little Mermaid, Jasmine of Aladdin, Esmerelda of The Hunchback of Notredame, Aurora of Sleeping Beauty, etc), Braveheart, The Last Unicorn, Vampire Hunter D.

Lately, it has been the Pre-Raphaelite art (http://hereismyheart-dianne.blogspot.com/2009/11/pre-raphaelite-women-some-tragic-some.html) as well :bluebiggr

Pumpkin
March 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
My faith and realizing the money I was spending having my hair cut every 4 to 5 weeks. Yikes!! Plus, I came to the conclusion that I was in need of a change. I always loved long hair. I feel more feminine and beautiful when it is long.

FrannyG
March 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I always wanted long hair, but I thought my hair was too fine and straight to look pretty while being long. When I was 45, I decided to give up the blow dryer and curling iron and just let my hair grow. I've had a few setbacks since then (due to my own stupidity), but I'm going to let it grow now as long as it wants to grow.

I think that seeing some of the fabulous women in their 60's in the movies and on TV inspired me to think that it's never too late.

I look at women like Faye Dunaway and realize that I don't have to have a "little old lady" look when I'm older.

cindy58
March 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I had long hair until I was 16, cut and kept it short for 30 years. I couldn't get myself over the aggravating hurdle of growing it out. Then after a few wind blown cruises and spending a lot of time outdoors walking, I realized how much more convenient it would be to be able to tie it back rather than have it blowing in my face, and stayed with the growing out process.

Since then, there are many reasons to like and enjoy having long hair. I don't consider myself particularly mainstream, feel like I have eclectic interests, and my hair matches that.

Carrie Ingalls
March 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Blissful oblivion, not really caring what was cool/in, but also a heavy dose of indecision and procrastination. :)

SeaShell
March 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
for me I think it was the fact that growing up my dad always made me get my hair cut, and told me that long hair wasn't trendy. I remember him pointing at some long haired girls my age and saying that they all look the same..like Barbie dolls, but I thought it was their long hair that made them look different...I guess that was the defining moment when I decided I wanted to grow my hair! It took a lot of mistakes to realize that hair doesn't grow if you fry it and bleach it though!!

jenga
March 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
It wasn't any one thing in particular. I'm really just a makeup/hair (beauty in general!) nut and I always appreciate when I see really *well cared for* hair, but especially when it's long. I also love the feeling of hair cascading down my shoulders.

Bethany44
March 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I have just always loved long hair. Always. My longest is a couple inches past BSL and I look at those photos and love my hair!! I am rebelling against hair stylists that keep telling me my fine, straight hair is best kept short. Second, long hair community has really inspired me and now I understand that with proper care my fine hair can look shiny, healthy and beautiful!

longhairdream
March 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Same here - I've loved long hair ever since, but just couldn't grow them out being a boy - but eventually I had to give in to my dreams - which actually so much defines my personality too! Besides, TLHC has been of great help too - all the beautiful long haired people here have inspired me NOT TO CUT (especially in the awkward stage):flower:

Rivanariko
March 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
It was more a "never bother cutting" than an inspiration for me :-P I had friends in elementary school with classic length hair and I was always jealous. I wanted hair long enough to sit on! So I just let it be and ignored it. a few years ago I finally learned how to do a half-way decent looking pony tail, and finally how to braid. It's only been since finding LHC (on a whim, just stumbled across it!) that I've started to actually appreciate my hair, and TRY to grow it longer.

My inspiration now? All of the gorgeous ladies here! I had no idea that people in real life could actually grow hair down past their ankles!! I'm not sure if I ever want hair quite that long, but WOW!

Leena7
March 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I guess my inspiration is curiosity. I have never had long hair and I want to know what it is like. Also, I like to braid hair. I'm a big LOTR fan, too.

prettydark
March 9th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Laziness and a desire to have nice long braids when I dance powwow.

Raponsje
March 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
For me long hair has a magic and majestic quality. It makes me feel beautiful.

zeldagirl7491
March 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what inspired me. Because I can't remember a time when I wasn't wishing for long hair (my mom always kept it around chin length when I was little).

Recently though, I became serious about growing it long and healthy.

VenusHalley
March 9th, 2010, 12:12 PM
It just happened. I cut my hair to chin lenght when I was 15 only to realize that my hair needs a lenght and weight to "behave"... I have slightly wavy hair and when it was shorter the ends would just curl the wrong way... so I was letting it grow (I've been trimming, I had a slight chop after I experimented with chemical dyes)... and it became my trademark somehow. My reddish long hair is just me, just as my extensive jewelry, hand-made peace symbol necklace, code switching between czech and english, a lot of make up and my slavic curves...

KnittingDragon
March 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
For me? The wigs I make my dolls, the braiders at the renaissance faires, and my BFF threatening to shave me if I do something stupid again. :p

Oh, and of course. Rapunzel.

Zarafay Torath
March 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. I've wanted hair just like hers since I was a little girl. :)
Also, I want to have long hair for my next Renaissance festival. I love going to those, and I've always wanted long flowing hair to go with my costume. :)

LucyHope
March 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I've never been to a Renaissance Fair, so this is a question, not a snark... :flower:

Do women actually wear their hair out'n'flowing at Ren Fairs, even though it's not really historically accurate? I'm told the accuracy standards aren't high where the public is involved, so I'm guessing you mean you're going as a "spectator" rather than a "participant"?

Trying to bridge the cultural gap... :p

KnittingDragon
March 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Actually it depends on the character. Young unmarried women would wear their hair down and free. Married and high ranking women covered their hair or wore it up.

Zarafay Torath
March 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Okies :) thanks for the clarification :)
Even though it's not historically accurate, most of the people there (the spectators, and the actors/actresses) wear their hair down- at least for the one in NYC, I'm not sure about anywhere else.
Most of the people that go to the one here aren't too concerned with historical accuracy- the costumes they sell and the ones most people make to wear aren't too accurate either.
Hope that helped :)

KnittingDragon
March 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Depending on the fair they may go one way or the other. Either more fantasy or more historical accuracy. When my hair was much longer I left it long going to the fair since I would get it braided there. Now, until my hair is longer I wear crocheted snoods to hide my short modern hair. When it was really short I would loosely ball up old stockings that was close to my color and stuff the snood to make it look fuller.

Ps. I do my own snoods.

End of threadjack.

CaityBear
March 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I grew it out once, not nearly as long as it is now though, then cut it all off when I got bored. I didn't intend on growing it out the second time really, it just happened. It goes so long and I didn't feel like cutting it so it just kept growing. Then I found LHC and I wanted to grow my hair out for real and make it as healthy as possible.

Zarafay Torath
March 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ps. I do my own snoods.
Ooo, really? That's so awesome! :D Are they difficult to make?

bubbles_87
March 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just seeing people in the streets, models, actresses, anyone who has long hair inspires me. I think long hair is beautiful and it emphasizes a woman's beauty even more.

Themyst
March 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I've always admired it on other men and women, so I finally acquired the patience to grow it long myself.

But, now that my hair garners so much attention when I wear it down, it's become something of a social experiment for me. Everyone is so darned concerned about how long I've been growing it ... how I sleep with it ... one man cornered me in Walmart the other day and just had to know how long it took me to wash it as opposed to 'normal' hair lengths. :rolleyes:

Luckysock
March 9th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I look at albums on here for inspiration - especially members that have hair similar to mine in colour or texture - its great to see where I could get too if I'm good to my hair :)

KnittingDragon
March 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ooo, really? That's so awesome! :D Are they difficult to make?

Not really. That is if you crochet. I found the pattern online a decade ago and can't find it any more but it is memorized. I like to make them in diff colors and sometimes beaded. If I could PM I would write up the pattern for you. :p

kevala
March 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I've really enjoyed reading peoples' responses!

I had long hair as a child, and got a bad hair cut when I was about 7 (supposedly "just a trim"...but they cut off about 4 inches!). After that, I decided not to cut my hair, and by the time I was in my mid-teens it was knee length. I loved it; it always made me feel a little bit special and different, and it got me lots of compliments! But after a while I felt like a change, and I got tired of having to wear it up most of the time. So, when I was 22, my hair met scissors for the first time in 15 years...I cut it back to about two inches above the tailbone and donated the 14" I'd parted with.

I have no regrets about the cut, and my hair has been healthier ever since. Now I'm 25 and it's an inch and a half past my tailbone. I'm starting to miss the longer length, though, so I'm letting it grow again!

sunshine-locks
March 10th, 2010, 02:33 AM
hm.. i saw pictures from when i was about 10 with long-ish hair and i just decided i wanted to have that again but hopefully longer :) (it was nearly to waist) because most of my life, its been quite short :(

IcarusBride
March 10th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Joining LHC and seeing everyone's beautiful long hair. I think this is the ONLY forum I've ever been a member of that is a 100% positive/supportive community; others claim to be but there's always ridiculous drama. The people here are so wonderful and kind it keeps my spirits up.
I first heard about LHC from someone's youtube channel, I think it was either torrinpaige or JJJ.

windchijmes
March 10th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I've had longish hair till I was 6, and then, was stuck with short (a little below chin length) hair for the next 10 years. Not even by choice. It was because of the school rules! And since graduation from said school at age 16, I've kept my hair at shoulder-length.

I've not felt the need to grow it longer because 1) I didn't think I look good with overly-long hair and 2) because of the hot-humid weather of the tropical country I resided in. HOWEVER, at the start of 2010, I moved to a cooler-dryer climate, and then I started liking more and more the idea of growing my hair longer. Now I intend to grow my hair to my bra-strap. I've become more conscious of caring for my hair, so I'm confident of getting long AND healthy long hair. ^^

Felix_D
March 10th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I never thought I could grow long hair. Just thought I wasn't cut out for it.

I read a post on Reddit that pointed me here, and realized that the reason I couldn't grow long hair is because of all the damage I was doing to it (irons! peroxide! monthly trims! daily sulfate washes) and that I might actually have a shot at growing it out.

All the girls here with long, beautiful fine hair really are an inspiration. We'll see how it goes!

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM
A mix of bad perm/haircut at age ten, and Disney princesses. I've always loved how long hair looks and feels. I haven't had hair above my shoulders since I was a kid, and the shortest it's ever been cut since I grew it out again was to just between mid-back and can-I-call-this-waist? in 1998. There's definitely something magical about having it this long. I wouldn't trade my experiences for any amount of fun, spiky, colorful short 'dos. :D

NickalNack
March 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM
In truth, I only wanted to grow my hair really super long initially, but then it became something of an obsession. In retrospect I'm happy because my hair is healthier than it's ever been.

Star Eagle
March 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM
For me I have always had long hair I just like it long.... and you can always put it up if your hot... for me I wear my hair like clothes ...By that I mean when the weather is cold I wear it down to keep my neck warm ...The only reason I cut my hair is I read on the henna page that once you damage your hair you might as well cut it because there is nothing you can do to fix it. That being said I am growing it back as fast as I can...

vindo
March 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
A couple of things inspired me..

1. Anime Characters like Queen Millenia, Lady Amalthea...

2. LHC and the members...

3. My Medieval Reenactment Hobby, I needed to look authentic according to myself :D

4. Myself :o - before LHC, I grew it longer slowly and liked it more every inch it gained...so I kept going.
Now, after the hair loss I am inspired by my old pictures and try to get back to that.

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I love the Medieval and Renaissance periods! Also, Rapunzel was my favorite fairy tale, so I love the long locks.

As a kid I had my hair knee-length. Oh, how I wish that I had my hair longer! It's at waist length and growing it to classic.

sugarpixie10988
March 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
My main reason is I had a haircut in September that was about chin length... I hated it! I felt like I could do nothing with it, it was a pain to pull back, and I didn't feel as pretty as I did with longer hair. DBF also LOVES long hair. I asked him the other day if he thought any length was too long. He told me the longer the better, so I'm sure he'll appreciate it :D. Like a lot of other people, I too got inspiration from Disney princesses and the Renaissance era as well :).

Everyone's beautiful hair here has also inspired me of course!

09robiha
March 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
ahhh this is easy. I am a HUGE art fan and spent most of my childhood dragging both my grandparents round endless galleries and museums. I still do. All the pre-raphelite paintings, in particualar inspired me to grow my hair long, ever since i have wanted at least classic length red curly hair (i have the reed, i have the curl, i need the length!!!)

Henrietta
March 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Scientists have proved that a women who has long hair is considered by other women as serious rival in contacts with men. Funny, isn't it?:)

Joette
March 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm another who was forced to keep hair short as a child. Every time I expressed to Mom that I wanted long hair (because I looked like a boy! with my hair short) she'd tell me that the shorter styles were more flattering for me. I think what it really boiled down to was she didn't want to have to deal with the washing and upkeep of my long hair.

I'd grown it to BSL a few times out of indifference, and would then cut it out of boredom. Then a few years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. Worried that I might have to do chemo (I didn't!) I cut my BSL hair into a pixie. I maintained that for a while before letting it grow out of indifference again. Then I read a Dresden File book by Jim Butcher and Justine, one of the characters, had long hair held up by chopsticks...and I wanted to be able to do that.

So here I am, BSL again and heading for waist!

suicides_eve
March 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
old pictures of my hippie mom with butt length hair. We look so much alike, it's like looking at picture of my self. Yeah ,that did it for me~ my quest continues.

LunarAurora
March 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
When I was a child it was "Lady Lovely Locks and the Pixie Tails" (the cartoon) that inspired me :) http://ladylovelylocks.org/
Later, I started to make historical reenactments (medieval, celtic) and of course I wanted to look like my ancestors ^^
Now, when I lost hope about having loooong hair, I look at pictures of Britta and other wonderfully longhaired women !

freckles
March 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I was mostly inspired by being too lazy to get a cut, and then realising my hair was BSL (nearly) -- and realising I loved it long! So I'm sure I will love it longer :)

skysraine
March 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
;) I am brand new today, my daughter was playing a video on you-tube and said mom that's you!! She had found videos on ladies with fairy tale length hair. One of them was linked to TLHC WOW!!!! I never knew anything like this was available. I must comment on all of the beutiful ladies You ALL have been working so hard and Awesome pictures of updo braids Fabulous:o I wish I had somone take my picture when I do my designs... I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pictures so it may take awhile... With that said, My inspiration to grow my hair came from my dad, he always loved it. Fortunetly for me Fairy tale hair grows in the family... Mom-ankle length Fire Red/ Sister-Knee length Repunzle Blond
/Aunt-Calf length PitchBLack....I ended up with of course the BROWN I think that the color is the only thing I would ever change but no artificial color will never touch my head.I am not sure how much further I should let it go? I trim every six weeks and at present fresh out of the shower it is 72"

PaleDale
March 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Chris Jericho. Yah I wanted to be cool like he was. lmao

oceanwoman111
March 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
When I was little, I had a barbie doll named Whitney, she had long, dark hair down to her knees and I thought she was so much prettier than Barbie. I think that's where it all started. Also, whenever I cut it into a style, I end up wanting it long again. So I decided to stop the cycle. It's funny because the last time I had my hair almost waist length, my cousin said "Wow, you look like Whitney". We both laughed. :)

christine1989
March 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I love the look of both super long hair and super short pixie cuts. Since I have done the pixie cut thing I thought I would grow my hair back to waist again where it was when I was in middle school. I also love to set and reach goals. Im not happy unless I am working toward something and growing my hair out is the perfect semi-long-term challenge :)

Hana
March 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
remembering i used to be able to wrap my hair around my neck 3 times when i was younger..... i want to reach that lenth again! :D

Robbi Dehlinger
March 12th, 2010, 01:56 AM
;) I am brand new today, my daughter was playing a video on you-tube and said mom that's you!! She had found videos on ladies with fairy tale length hair. One of them was linked to TLHC WOW!!!! I never knew anything like this was available. I must comment on all of the beutiful ladies You ALL have been working so hard and Awesome pictures of updo braids Fabulous:o I wish I had somone take my picture when I do my designs... I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pictures so it may take awhile... With that said, My inspiration to grow my hair came from my dad, he always loved it. Fortunetly for me Fairy tale hair grows in the family... Mom-ankle length Fire Red/ Sister-Knee length Repunzle Blond
/Aunt-Calf length PitchBLack....I ended up with of course the BROWN I think that the color is the only thing I would ever change but no artificial color will never touch my head.I am not sure how much further I should let it go? I trim every six weeks and at present fresh out of the shower it is 72"

72 inches and you mom and sis are super longies too??

What a glorious family:P

staranise
March 13th, 2010, 04:04 AM
hey, I'm new here!!

I've always really loved long hair, probably because I loved fairy tales as a child. I tried to keep my hair long but it always got tangled and horrible and I hated getting my hair brushed. so, my dreams of being Rapunzel ended when I was about 6.

My mum always had really long hair too, and I always admired it. and come to think of it, my dad's hair was long as well. so I guess it made sense.

However...

what inspired me most to grow my hair as an adult was the 2002 film "Hero" by Yimou Zhang... oh my gosh... the hair! I saw that movie and cried. Not only for the tragic ending but because it was so beautiful. And the characters all had windswept, long, Asian hair. So much love!

my more recent inspiration has been the Pre-Raphaelites. I'd like to get into henna so I can have the colour of Lizzie Siddal... *swoon*

countryhopper
March 13th, 2010, 07:00 AM

WOW! Do you happen to have a picture of the three of you together with loose hair? that would be AWESOME and so inspiring!

SpinningCarrie
March 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi all!

My mom always let me do whatever I wanted with my hair, so I tried a little bit of everything in grade school. By the time I reached Jr high I decided that long hair was more me, and I have been below shoulder since then.

I have always been something of an anachronist. I love to study the middle ages Elizabethen times, when I watch a period movie, I pay more attention to the clothing and hair than the plotline. When I read or watch something by Austen, that is how I want my clothes/hair, the same goes for "Anne of Green Gables" or reading Tennyson's "Idylls". And of course I LOVE the Pre Raphaelites.

It's good to be here!

Carrie

skysraine
March 14th, 2010, 01:19 AM
That WOULD be ssooooo cool I wish.... No My mom had a debate with my father many years ago back in the early 70s in fact and he told her it was unchristian to have hair that long, she looked too much like a "hippie" I dont think so when I see her pictures they are worn and old. But I think she looked like enchanted of course shes standing next to her horse and I think the breeze is blowing, Gives me goosebumps! Then I think NO WAY would I let someone talk me into or tell me I needed to cut off my hair! She went from calf length to a serious page boy I think they are called had the huge bump in the back she still looked good but not the same effect.. My sister when she was 11 had barbie's hair soo envious down past her bum. Mom took her to the beuty salon while she did groceries, told the ladies what she wanted just a little... Came back hour later you can imagine this was mid 70s I think Super short boy hair cut...They did'nt even keep her hair or anything needless to say my mother just about wooped everyone there,:slap: my sister said, the lady told her it was the style and no body had long hair anymore... Can I get a little more "Law Suit" Not back then..thanks for the thought though That would be so cool!!!:idea:
WOW! Do you happen to have a picture of the three of you together with loose hair? that would be AWESOME and so inspiring!

tokidokichi
March 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I just want to feel girly and be able to have more styling options. And I love up do's for longer hair!

talecon
March 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I had this dream my hair was long and wavy and black and its been my inspiration ever since :)

Shicurls
March 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I too was inspired by fairy tales and the like. BUT, what really got me was a visit to a Pueblo in Taos, New Mexico. I saw the Native Americans there and noticed all of them had longish hair. Something deep inside of me clicked. I have Native American blood in me, and that is part of my heritage I was never apart of due to my Grandfather being absent and no contact with his family.

I felt somehow less than...... if that makes sense. It was as if my whole self had been pruned down until I was truncated. I am growing to find a missing piece. The piece I hadn't realized I had lost until that trip.

jera
March 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM
For me it was a combination of faery tales and a friend who had classic length hair. I've always wanted to be a Rapunzel ! :p

Aeltt
March 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Actually I told my mother i was growing out my hair so she would let me be.. "oh, do you want me to take you to the hairdresser ?" ( translation : "your hair is messy")

I was lazy and didn't really feel the need for a haircut..

But now i really want long hair (aiming for waist. Or longer. The longer, the better ^^) because of a pic of me two years ago with -just- BSL, but it was way better than now.
And my curls don't look good with my length (it's like my hair is trying to eat my face if you see what i mean..).
And long hair is pretty, has always been and will always be :p

ademtce
March 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
i've never liked short hair on myself, and even when it was short it made my face look fat.

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
I think it was a variety of things over the years, but most of all I have always felt drawn to long hair. I experience a feeling of excitement when I see it. It feels like it is and always will be a part of who I am.

GlassEyes
March 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
I thought I looked bad with short hair.

...I'm vaguely starting to think that might be a mistake.

EbonyCurls
March 21st, 2010, 07:33 PM
When I first discovered that if I left my hair alone and stopped cutting, dyeing and frying it that it would actually grow. I actually thought my hair was never meant to be long....while cutting it every so often (I know, silly). I guess you can say that it's curiosity that got me started, but I feel motivated to remain patient because I genuinely love the look of long, healthy, carefree hair.

Zopheya
March 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Great thread. I've always loved long hair, as long as I can remember. The main part of it is that, like many of you, I've always loved medieval and ancient history. There is something about long hair that is both romantic and exotic. Perhaps an unconscious influence was my grandmother, who is 88 years old now and still wears her hair in a long braid. She has had long hair her entire life, at one point down to her hips. I told her just today that I will be like her, and have long hair forever.

When I got a bit older and discovered the Pre-Raphaelites, their paintings became an inspiration for me, as well - mostly because they depicted the image of long hair that I'd always held in my own mind. Also, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, fantasy artists such as Boris Vallejo and Amy Brown. Definitely the fantasy/historical/romantic element plays a huge role in my love for long hair.

Oh! One more really specific thing: I eventually saw the classic Bollywood movie, Silsila, and the main actress' (Rekha) hair is absolutely beautiful. Not only is she herself beautiful, but in some scenes her hair looks like a black river of night flowing down her back like liquid. It was mesmerizing. I definitely recommend that movie for anyone who loves long hair or needs a long-hair inspiration. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any pictures that really do Rekha's hair in this film justice, but check these out:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rekha%20silsila/Darshana_/RkhaABpigtail.jpg

http://movies.ndtv.com/images/PhotoGallery/jayabachchan/8.jpg (On the right)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KJfhTRMpU1g/0.jpg

http://www.mongoland.cz/obrazky/silsila.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h2l5UCqUCAU/SGJ0tW1iOjI/AAAAAAAAC7s/XILOyKrTsXA/s320/Silsila14.jpg

Zopheya
March 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Ha! Thanks for the nostalgic moment - I had Lady Lovelilocks, too. Still have the doll somewhere, I believe. Yeah, her hair WAS gorgeous, haha.

ArienEllariel
March 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Good question. I guess it all started with me trying for years and years to get my hair to look trendy... well as trendy as I could get on a low budget. I am absolutely innept when it comes to straightening and curling my hair with heat appliances. For years I fought my hair and used shampoos I saw advertised on the television only to see more and more breakage. I've had shoulder length hair or above for most of my life. I could never quite figure out why my hair refused to curl out or curl in consistantly around my face when I tried to beat it into submission until I said ENOUGH! and stopped following modern trends. I envied people with long hair, always assuming them to be a few exceptional individuals blessed by the hair gods. My hair, I believed, could never be long and beautiful like that.. heck, I'd even been told by hairdressers that it was "impossible" for people with fine hair to grow it long and that it looked bad when said individuals tried.

In late September of last year I began searching the internet because I hated my hair and I just wanted to be it healthy. I first found the Long Hair Loom which is where I was informed that anyone could grow long hair. I was thrilled! I was extatic! I'd always assumed it to be impossible as my hair was always breaking off if I tried to grow it longer than SL in the past. A whole new world of opportunity opened up before me! Shortly thereafter I found the LHC and I started pouring through the wealth of information here. I've never looked back since then.

sarahbrownie
March 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM
Mainly scissor phobia. I've had way too many bad hair cuts ever to have my hair cut again.

The longest my hair has ever been was shoulder length before I would get antsy and have it cut into a bob. It's actually really flattering for me. I really want to have long hair because I've never had it before. Maybe I'm a little vain and want to stand out, not a lot of people have long hair, and I'm always hear from guys they think it's pretty and feminine.

Ivy~Rose
March 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
For most of my life I've had hair down between bsl and waist length. Twice I chopped it to my chin and donated it, but grew it back as fast as I could. My hair feels "me" at around waist length.

Also, my husband asked me to keep it long for him. I love growing my hair for both of us.

There was an incident when I was in college: we were dating, but I was living at home. Somehow I got lice for the first time, and my mom flipped out and chopped my long hair to my shoulders (she actually chased me with scissors, I kid you not). Relations remain tense.

ArienEllariel
March 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
There was an incident when I was in college: we were dating, but I was living at home. Somehow I got lice for the first time, and my mom flipped out and chopped my long hair to my shoulders (she actually chased me with scissors, I kid you not). Relations remain tense.

Oh my gosh, are you serious??? I would be so mad. :steam:whip:

LKayL
March 22nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
I want to grow long hair because I'm 30-years-old and I've never had long hair! I have afro hair and it's only in the past few years that I've learned how to look after it properly.
I've always admired long, healthy shiny hair of a variety of colours and textures.:)

Phalaenopsis
March 22nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
My older sister :) I was only 8 and I wanted long hair 'cause she had long hair. It just felt right since then

PineappleJello
March 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I forgot to mention Tifa from Final Fantasy Seven :)

kirstybn
March 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
I love the way long flowing hair looks. I want my hair to look kind of like Kim Kardashian's length.

GuinevereMay
March 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
It's a religious thing for me.

(Taken from my website.)
I decided to grow my hair when I went to the Chalice Well at Glastonbury (a VERY holy place for me.) The Goddess told me (I know it sounds corny, but I've never heard Her so clearly as I did at that time,) that my hair was Hers and that it was to be a sacrifice to Her. Honestly, I walked away from that not really sure what that meant or how to go about doing what She wanted. Bits and pieces of things came to me that were TRUE, and so I knew what to do. For example, I thought about burning my amputated hair, and I suddenly KNEW that was what I was supposed to do. For me, I'm placing a lot of trust in Her to tell me when that time is. And so, I knew I needed to trust Her more to guide me in life in general. I made a vow to Her.

grmn-rpnzl
March 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
When i was a little girl the disney character Jasmine was my inspiration! I told everyone that i was going to have hair down to my knees.....sadly i dont have that, rebelous stage in middle, high school, and young adult life have stopped me. But no more! I will have hair like jasmine!! :)

beez1717
March 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
i've always wanted it but I thought that I had to have a "boyish" cut. as soon as I figured out this wasn't the case, i started growing and i'm super happy now!

eiwonob
March 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I forgot to mention Tifa from Final Fantasy Seven :)
Yes! Tifa! Def a inspiration, Aeris too, but I prefer Tifa's hair.

My inspiration has always been fantasy world and historical paintings. Elves, fairies, warriors, mythical creatures, long magic locks flowing along with silky clothes and beautiful auras, waving with the wind... oh, how that makes me drool! lol. I also play World of Warcraft, so that effect applies there too. John Waterhouse's paintings are great inspirations for me, renaissance paintings too. I want it all! :crush:

My DBF also likes my hair long and want it as long as it is possible, so I'm growing for us too.

Bethie
March 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I had long hair as a child, and was told that because my hair is very fine, I shouldn't grow it out beyond my shoulders. Well after finding LHC I figured I would be able to and "allowed" myself to be convinced that I could grow it longer by my DH

PineappleJello
March 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Yes! Tifa! Def a inspiration, Aeris too, but I prefer Tifa's hair.

My inspiration has always been fantasy world and historical paintings. Elves, fairies, warriors, mythical creatures, long magic locks flowing along with silky clothes and beautiful auras, waving with the wind... oh, how that makes me drool! lol. I also play World of Warcraft, so that effect applies there too. John Waterhouse's paintings are great inspirations for me, renaissance paintings too. I want it all! :crush:

My DBF also likes my hair long and want it as long as it is possible, so I'm growing for us too.

I don't play WoW but the chicks in there tend to have some kick a$$ hair. Question: Did that one scene with Aeris (you know which one I'm talking about) make you cry?

TXbarbie
March 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
I've always had long hair... but now I want to see how long I can grow it! :)

eiwonob
March 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
I don't play WoW but the chicks in there tend to have some kick a$$ hair. Question: Did that one scene with Aeris (you know which one I'm talking about) make you cry?
ohh tell me about it... i cried my heart out lol!

And I reminded of metal, headbanging is fun! (just a little or it becomes tangle disaster...)

anemix1005
March 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Ooh lots of things!

The paintings of John William Waterhouse (avatar pic!), disney princesses like Jasmine and Sleeping Beauty - they looked so beautiful, feminine and graceful and I always wanted to put on a pretty gown and dance around with my hair swirling around me like that, hehe.

Emmy Rossum's hair in Phantom of the Opera (nearly persuades me to get a perm every time I watch it: http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/andrew_lloyd_webber_s_the_phantom_of_the_opera/_group_photos/emmy_rossum10.jpg

Any "period piece" film in general that has women pulling combs out of their hair before bed to reveal long gorgeous tumbling locks that were so cleverly concealed by the updo.

And also just being frustrated by short hair in general - such fewer ways to style it and whenever it's summer and I'm at the beach I always wish to god I had long hair to go with my bikini, hehe.
Great thread! :)

EXACTLY THE SAME HERE :eek: *except for the bikini thing ...:D I love waterhouse:p, the hair of Emmy R. in the movie and I would only add Rapunzel and Arwen, even the disney part ..! xD *

Purdy Bear
March 24th, 2010, 04:09 AM
As a child, my Dad insisted I have long hair, he wasnt best pleased when my Mum cut it when I was 11. I loved the tales of Rephunzel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty. I also saw Jane Seymour in the James Bond movie, as Solitaire and that just about did it for me, it was hair love at first sight.:cheese:

In later years I also became a lover of the Pre-Raphaelite movement with their female figures with long hair, my favourite being the sewing ones as well as the lady and knights. I managed to see an exhibition of the top ones at a Gallery in London, but they didnt show many of the figures, mostly the landscapes.

rosek
April 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Initially - Tomb Raider.
Lara Croft's braid - the way it swung around! I don't know what it is about it; maybe because its attached to Angelina Jolie. But I loved the hair in that movie. I wanted to be able to do a braid like that.
Now, I grow it because I love the feel of it hanging down my back.

xxaimsxx
April 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I had long hair all through my childhood and never dyed it then started to use straightners and dye it myself and cut it. BIG mistake!

I'm now trying to get my hair the same as then. :)

Its strange also how your confidence changes when you look good. And my hair at the moment i always wear up. :(

Lunnafindel
April 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
When I was very small - 3 or 4 - I heard about the daughter of my mother's friend who had knee-length hair and wanted that myself...I don't think I ever saw her hair, I just remember that fantastical image in my mind (early childhood memories are so exaggerated) and made it my goal. I was lucky genetically, apparently, and met the goal 8 years later.

lesbia
April 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Just the tought of my hair LONG...I have always desired long hair!!!

Siava
April 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I've got a friend that has long hair (skimming classic again). She wore tiny brains to bed and came to work the next day with the most stunningly tight waves. That was it. I was hooked and determined to grow long again. The last time was waistlength in high school. This time I'm growing until...I don't know when. I'm just going to grow it and have fun. :)

finecelt
April 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Lots and lots of things.

I had long hair when I was young but for years now have had shortish styles, layers and lots of hair dyes. However, I've never felt that happy about it. Since I decided to grow it long, even though my hair is just below chin, I feel much more myself again. It's great.

My best friend has beautiful, shiny long, long hair.

I also love films where the ladies have super length hair.

I could go on.......

queenfairypants
April 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I've always wanted really long hair, I think it just looks great! but always got bored of waiting for it to grow. I wanted to grow it anyway but saw a girl at work who had the most gorgeous hair ive ever seen, waist long and silky smooth looking and I thought 'i want hair like that!!' I wanted to touch it it looked so nice haha.

I think waist length is as much as I could cope with.

Aevra
April 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Mine is a combination of things...First, I had tail bone length when I was a child, and since I couldn't take care of it my mother chopped it off to my earlobes.:wail::shocked: and I want to get it long and pretty again.

Second, is kind of out of spite. I have an ex who liked my hair long, so spite!:mad:

Third is that my fiancé loves my hair and we both want to see it longer.

Nilithyana
April 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The character Laurana in DragonLance inspired me to grow my hair out. She was an elven princess with hair to her wrists. That image stuck in my mind and I wanted it for myself. Well, my hair is to my wrists! I'm wondering if I want it classic or not. I'm not sure if I want to be able to sit on it completely.

StormVixen
April 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Caring for my curls inspired me to grow my hair longer because CO washing and giving up harsh chemicals made it look so nice and made it easier to manage... and its not often you see a curly head with really long hair, i want to stand out from the crowd :D

Aynir
April 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM
After trying out almost every short hairstyle and colour I got bored. Wanted to have a classic style instead. It also helped when I stopped caring about other peoples hair opinions and found out that long hair is something I truly like.

hydrangea
April 12th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I have never had long hair. Not even BSL hair! Just thought it was so much work. Plus I didn't think fine hair looked good when it was long....till I found this community! ;) I've seen pictures of all types of beautiful hair. And this washing twice a week business?! What could be easier?! :D I'm only approaching APL right now, but I'm in for the loooooong haul.

Aditi
April 12th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I was very happy with my BSL hair 1 year back, once i was looking for a new hairstyle on google and found this site and saw the beautiful long hair of the members here :crush: at that moment i fell in love with the long hair :heart:
Soooo, LHC and the members here inspired me to grow long hair :thumbsup:

jackiesjottings
April 12th, 2010, 08:10 AM
It was when I was a child, during the hippy era in the 60's. I saw all these people with long hair and wanted mine long. I first was allowed to grow it when I was 6 but it was very thin so I had it cut. But then I had it long most of the time until I was 18 and had it cut for a boyfriend (never again), then again from about 81-95, then again now after growing it since 2005. I just wanted long hair way back then and have loved to have mine long (most of the time apart from a couple of blips) since.

Merkaba
April 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I look much much better with long hair...when I cut it shorter I stopped receiving compliments from people and felt like I had lost my best beauty asset.

JenniferNoel
April 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I've always loved long hair, but I had this laziness issue that became an obstacle with growing it out. I found LHC while recovering from a baaaaad haircut, and learned that growing out is much easier than having to style a shoulder length bob every morning. I'm just hovering over BSL as we speak (two inches!) after a good trim to banish damaged layers and put a new shape in. Longest I've had was TBL.

Maddy25
April 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have always been trying to grow my hair out, I have always had very low self confidence and I feel like if I had long beautiful princess like hair, that I would finnally feel gorgeous and sexy and happy with myself.

I love how very long hair is a rare thing were I live, and it would make me sort of unique. I also have much love for fantasy and medieval history, and whenever I watch Lord of the Rings or Mists of Avalon I am reminded just how elegent and beautiful hair can be. I want to be beautiful and womanly and magical like those women are :)

Also, I love the idea that I could braid my hair before bed, then wake up and in seconds, have gorgeous waves so easily and my hair would be ready to go! Rather than having short hair like now with it looking like a chicken when I wake up.

Ceilidh
April 12th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I had hair past my butt until the time I was about ten and cut all of it off. Since then, I've repeatedly gotten bored of growing it, then began experimenting with dyes and layers and bangs and, worst of all, bleach. Now I'm just trying to get it back to where it was when I was young; long, healthy, and shiny :)

lovextaylor
April 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I've always had my hair between chin and shoulder length because it's so fine and tangles easily. So I wanted a change and to see how long I could actually grow my hair out healthily :)

Bonkers57
April 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I saw some old pictures of myself when my hair was the longest it had ever been. This was around my high school graduation. I know I look a lot different now than I did some 35 years ago :laugh: I'm curious to see how I'd look with longer hair now. Seeing those photos got me started. :cheese:

Bast
April 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Boredom.

:p

gypsychild
April 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I've always liked long hair, especially the different styles in this book from childhood:
http://www.bywayofthefamily.com/images/hair.jpgKlutz's "Hair" book

Also, my boyfriend agreed to grow out his lovely curls if I reaches BSL!

Caxikian
April 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM
My grandma inspired me to go natural & grow my hair long to support her on battling breast,lung & brain cancer

Me & my grams are very close shes was bestfriend & Always will be
but sadly... she passed away beginning of march this year....

I'm going to keep growing my hair long for her
& I'm hoping to be able to train next year for the breast cancer walk
Wish me luck!

Lykaios
April 21st, 2010, 01:50 AM
Oh man, so many inspirations...

Well, I have always had long hair, and metal music contributed to that quite a lot. Me and my brother both had (he recently chopped his) long hair. I joined here in 2007, but kinda forgot about the place until a while ago.

Anyway, I have a very avid interest in all things ancient history, mythology and fantasy. This helps spur on the hair growing a lot. Eowyn is a central figure here :) Mists of avalon was another. I am also inspired by art nouveau and pre-raphaelite art (Lizzie Siddal, Jane Morris). Not to mention, everyone's great hair on here!

Aleria
April 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
My Native family :) One lady, my adoptive aunt and the skipper (person who steers) of our canoe has tailbone-length hair. A lot of my family have BSL+ and a few have Waist+.
also, the first time I decided to grow out my hair, I wanted to grow it out as long as my scarves (About waist)
Hoping I can get there this time...

mrs carol
April 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
A woman's long hair is her glory.

KBG
April 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
*Exhaustion: I've had just about every style, cut, chemical treatment there is. The one thing I've never done is care for my hair and allow it to thrive. It's been mostly damage control. I'm trying to finally make peace with it and see what it can do.

*Internet & Information: I've seen more women with similar hairtypes to mine who are at or past my goal length online than I ever have in real life. Women like Mwedzi(who's also here) and Sera (I'm not sure if she's on this forum or not) have inspired me so much. They share regimen information, advice, lovely photos, and videos. The experience of other women on YouTube and the hair care sites have helped me to troubleshoot and learn how to treat my hair well.

*Simplicity & Freedom: My hair is still very short but it's already a relief to be able to put it up in rolls or braids and be okay with that. For the longest I've always felt like I 'needed' to 'do something' with it. Most of those 'somethings' have been counter-productive to healthy, let alone long, hair.

*Last Halloween: :lol: Seriously, part of my costume was a huge red afro wig, & OMG, I felt so glamorous! It balanced my body & my giant head. I just looked so much better with that huge cloud of hair. I think that's when I committed to growing my hair out.

Angeletti
April 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I've always loved long hair, I don't see too many people around my area with hair at hip level or below, so I love the fact that it sets me apart from the norm and not to mention all fun styles and braids I can do

Lielananna
April 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I had BSL-ish hair when I was younger and always enjoyed putting it back in braids, but I was convinced to cut my hair to my shoulders and boy did I hate how it looked on me. My hair is thick and has a lot of volume, so without the weight of the extra length, it just poofed horribly and of course I couldn't wear my hair in a braid easily anymore. I decided at that point that I was going to grow my hair and try to get it to the floor, or as long as it'll go. Probably my biggest inspiration was fairy tales with the ladies all having long hair and also I was really big into anime at the time and all the characters in the shows I watched had really long hair, so I wanted to be like them.

beez1717
April 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM
it was a life long want for me. I just figured out that I could do what i wanted and not just stick to "the guy's formula for hair" which states SHORT IS GOOD and LONG IS EVIL

Sisko
April 26th, 2010, 04:11 AM
A student budget. :p Salon visits always left me miserable and the prices were outrageous.

I always loved long hair in literature, mythology, film, metal and traditional art, but never realised it was possible to grow so long until I discovered the LHC. Long hair has seemed magical to me for as long as I can remember.

Twil
April 26th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Stevie Nicks!
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii133/stevematch81/Stevie_096.jpg

skarab
April 26th, 2010, 04:22 AM
My grandmother's best friend. We stayed with her once in a while and she always had her hair in the same beautiful updo from her youth (think Edwardian styles). She brushed her hair before bed every night, and when she'd come to say goodnight in her nightgown she would have it cascading all around her. Seeing it down only in those intimate moments made it extra special. I have eagerly awaited having long grey hair ever since :p

kelly-j
April 26th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Five years ago I had waist length hair and loved it. I chopped it to my chin because I lost so much hair because of a certain medicine I had to take. It really depressed my and I really needed a change.
But ever since then I´ve missed my long hair and now I´m on my way to grow it back and beyond. My goal is classic, because to me that´s when someone´s hair is really long and I love that length.

gossamer
April 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I suddenly remembered what probably planted the idea in my head as a very small child - Crystal Gayle sang with Big Bird on Sesame Street, and her hair was amazingly long. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_fQi7Ux04 I found it on youtube, and yep, it's still inspiring.

I'll never have that voice though!

TawnyRoots
April 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
For me I associate long hair with health, as part of the reason I chopped mine was for health reasons, long-hair says "I am care-free and back on track" :cheese:

I also like the journey, the years of caring for your hair and eventually getting results, it's so rewarding to work at something, even if it is a slightly superficial goal!
:eyebrows:

TawnyRoots
April 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
*Last Halloween: :lol: Seriously, part of my costume was a huge red afro wig, & OMG, I felt so glamorous! It balanced my body & my giant head. I just looked so much better with that huge cloud of hair. I think that's when I committed to growing my hair out.

This is a fabulous reason! I totally agree, huge hair is not just pretty, it is necessary for me to look balanced, so there :p!

breezefaerie
April 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I actually managed to achieve my goal of long hair (for me) when I was last active on this site. Now I just want it back. I chopped into a bob a year ago and have finally made the decision to grow it again. It just feels right and more like me :)

Amraann
April 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I had very long hair as a child (almost to my knees)

Once I became a teenager I chopped it and spent several years ruining it with chemicals.
I finally decided that I like it long.

It is to my hips now (I should post a pic)

Robbi Dehlinger
April 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I had very long hair as a child (almost to my knees)

Once I became a teenager I chopped it and spent several years ruining it with chemicals.
I finally decided that I like it long.

It is to my hips now (I should post a pic)

Hi!

Good thing none of my school classmates had it that long because I would have had SUCH a crush on them???:cool:

Happy (re) growing:cheese:

Birdsong
April 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
A friend in chemistry lab had the most beautiful long blond hair. I could not stop looking at it. After that term I decided to grow my hair out.

christine1989
May 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM
Like many girls I have been indoctrinated from early childhood to envy long hair. From fairy tales to disney princesses, long hair is portrayed as the epitome of feminine beauty. Although I have had very short hair and loved it there is nothing quite like the feeling you have with BSL or waist length hair.

Capybara
May 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
I've almost always had long hair. It just feels right. The few times I've had shorter hair, I didn't mind it, but I like longer hair better. A lot of people can pull off short hair, and I think I could look okay with it, but I like the feeling of long hair so much better!

tarn
May 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'd have to say Rapunzel!!!:)
(and princess leia)

mattt
May 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM
The last time i had it long. i miss the feel of it and being able to play with my ponytail when i get bored. but the first time around is was a bet with a friend that i wouldnt grow it long enough to ponytail, and when it got there i liked it so i kept it growing. i guess it was probably something i had always wanted to do, but never had done at the time.

Luna12345
May 2nd, 2010, 02:56 AM
I've always had a thing for guys with long hair...always been attracted to them....and one day I realized I'd never grown my hair much more than shoulder length.
and now theres this girl in my class who has amazing long hair...it's not just long, it's shiny and really thick and healthy ya can't stop looking at it.
I fell in love with her hair and now I want hair like hers!

AgnesONutter
May 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
My hair has just almost always been long, because I just can't pull myself together and get myself to the hairdresser that often, and when there they refuse to cut that much. No special reason I have long hair, really.

bridgetsgirl
May 2nd, 2010, 03:25 AM
For me it was stumbling across LHC while searching for info on soapnuts-I was very interested in greywater systems and compatible soaps at the time. After poking around on the site, I started missing having longer hair and wondering what my terminal length might be. The longest I've ever had is BSL, so I figured, why not push that part of myself to the limit?

Night_Kitten
May 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
For me it was a combination of missing my cildhood length and a girl with really pretty hair that took several courses with me at the University...

When I was 9, I had upper-thigh length hair, but had to cut it because I couldn't take care of it myself, so ended up with chin length. When I was about 12 years old, I got bored and started growing it, managed to get to about wais, and then cut it all again at 15 to a really short pixie... Kept it really short for about 4 years, and then it slowly started growing again because I was too lazy to go to the hairdresser often.
When I started Uni, there was a girl with amazing 1a/1b almost hip-length black hair in some of my classes, and I desided I wanted long hair again, just like she had.
Now I'm less than 1'' from tailbone, and it's still not long enough :)

ArienEllariel
May 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
Every time I see people with healthy thick beautiful long hair it continues to inspire me to grow mine long. I have to say now that it's starting to get hot here, I can't really wear it down anymore unless I plan to stay inside (so so uncomfortable otherwise). Woot for the LHC! You all continue to be my inspiration and keep me growing my hair. :)

Erin-86
May 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
What inspired me to grow long hair?

Ehm...well....

to make a long story short...a bad haircut inspired me :D

I really got tired of everytime my hair was cut way too short, on already short hair! I cried my eyes out everytime cause of the bad haircuts.

But my mom kept telling me how good short hair looked on me....:(

growing2shine
May 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have wanted long hair as for as long as I remember. When I was little I was inspired by rapunzel and barbie dolls. My mom always gave me a short hair cut that I hated. Now I find movies and real women with long hair very inspirational :D

pineconejg
May 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
1. I have always loved to see really long hair on other women. I never thought it was possible for me because before whenever it would get long, I didn't know how to take care of it.

2. I've been taking some supplements lately and my hair has gotten thicker, so I thought-- maybe.

3. A lady at my church who obviously has long hair for religious reasons - she has 4 or 5 daughters with long hair as well. I started to think maybe it was a good idea.

4. My husband lost his job and I can't afford $30 at the salon every two months anymore.

5. I graduated, we are waiting to have kids, and so I don't have a "project" right now, so I'm bored.

ButterCream
May 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
To be honest: THIS community!!..
where is the heart smiley...HEEEERE it is!:heartbeat:heart:

I read a littlebit here on the forum a few years back, but time went by and I actually forgot that I could grow my hair (I know that was a strange thing to say- but bare/bear/beer with me lol, and I`l explain;))

A little while ago I decided it was time to see what I should do with my hair! Should I cut it shorter? Nooo, I didn`t really want to do that either....
So I started to CO in april (earlier I used a sulfate free shampoo and was ok with that)
But then I started seriously to like the idea of have longer hair than I have ever had! Why not try?? At least as an experiment and see how it goes? Why hadn`t I thought about that earlier?? All those times I had a littlebit long hair I cut it of!!:(

Then I started to remember THIS community and started to read`n lurk and VIOLAHH, here I am ready as an egg to get longer hair!

I don`t know how long I can grow it so I will see! But I will not cut it untill I see how long I can do this:)
So, that is my "story". I just want to see how long my hair can be, and I wat to try and have reeeeeeeally long hair!

I asked my husband today actually, what he would think if I got hair down to my butt?
He said in his usual manly-short-and-to-the-point-way:
(...pun intended!)

"I think it will be pretty."

So, I am convinced, lol:D

My only greef is that I have virgin hair at the top and colored stripes with faded darker color that GUARANTEED will be ORANGE this summer!! What to do, what to doooooo...:confused:
Remove color and get back my original color is what I WANT to do, but afraid it will damage what I have been able to grow...:doh::headache:
Le sigh...
But other than that I am happy to continue this experiment:)
-

TinyTim
June 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I wanted long hair alot when I was 10 I fianally asked my mom and dad and they said ok and made some rules. I really wanted a ponytail. Now its long and i like it. my mom likes it a lot now too and she helps me take care of it some times.

Speckla
June 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
Nc.com and this site. Seeing all those lovely curls made me want to grow my own out.

I learned that I hadn't lost my curls but that I was doing all the wrong things and pulling them out and making them frizz. I didn't have to have a certain type of face shape to have long hair. Long hair can look good on someone at any age. I am a long hair at heart! I learned the the longer my hair, the more beautiful I look and feel.

beez1717
June 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
I wanted long hair alot when I was 10 I fianally asked my mom and dad and they said ok and made some rules. I really wanted a ponytail. Now its long and i like it. my mom likes it a lot now too and she helps me take care of it some times.

Yah, Mom helps me with my hair too. I like her help most of the time, but when she asks to wash it I get upset since she does double poo and no conditioner. I don't like what that does to my hair at all. It makes it turn to straw and it looks dry by the end of the day :(

KnittingDragon
June 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
I only have shoulder length, but all my friends are supportive of my desire for long hair. Now, I am infecting them. They want long hair!

Oh, I have friends who like to play with my hair. Braids, trying fancy updo's, even washing, though they do respect my desires for my hair.

zenobia
June 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I've been growing it longer for my wedding. Somehow I caught the bug to grow it really long.

May
June 1st, 2010, 05:10 PM
I love reading people's inspirations...it's lovely.

My inspiration or reason for long hair is that I have two scars spanning completely across my head from two separate operations I had when I was a baby. My skull bones were fused together as an infant (they're not supposed to be) so I was left with a slightly mal shaped skull and huge scars. When I have long hair I can more easily hide the shape of my head and my scars with the help of updos and such. I also prefer how I look with longer hair. :)

jane53
June 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'd had long hair for 35-40 years when the Lord of the Rings movies came out!

I started growing it to be like Mary Travers in Peter, Paul, and Mary back in the mid-60s.

I became committed to long hair when I was visiting my grandmother, who was 92 at the time. I'd only ever seen her with her hair up and figured it was short to medium length. I walked into her bedroom once during a visit and she had her hair down--hip-length thick white waves.

hermosamendoza
June 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM
every time i get the urge to chut it off i come here and breathe. i remember what inspired me to get my hair long.

laura crofts awesome french braid, elizabeth taylor in taming of the shrew, painting of midevil lovers in a brace with a girl with long long long hair, that brazilian girl thats always in the search engines in the neon yellow bikini when you search long hair lol, girls in india with ankle length hair, crystal gayle :) , this lady that used to come into my work in las vegas. she had the most beautiful long blond hair

constantki
July 30th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Losing my long hair.
I had left my hair long for my entire life, and then chopped it all off.
Needless to say, it was practically traumatic. So I'm growing it long again, because that's the way I like it and feel most comfortable.

Othala
July 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM
The wolf-woman in Angel Carter's film The Company of Wolves.

wvgemini
July 30th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Nothing really. I do want to feel more "girlie" and I think long hair suits that. Beyond that, I get bored with my hair fairly easily and I figured that I've had it short long enough (about 8 mnoths) so it's time for something new. I'm aiming for BSL but seeing so many beautiful waist-length locks ... who knows?

Blond Unicorn
July 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I had long hair all my childhood and almost all my adult life - so long hair is just my way ,-)
I like the feminine look of it and I'm just to lazy for short hair. With short hair I spent every morning sooo much time in the bath (time that I felt was lost). With longer hair I can make a neatlooking bun in 2min and out I go. And last, but not least DH is a longhaired women-lover ;-))

becker
July 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I've had short hair for almost 15 years, I loved having short hair but was almost always disappointed that I could never get consistently good haircuts, hadn't considered growing it out, just lived with haircuts every six weeks and taking a chance on liking or hating it. A couple years ago I started taking kung fu classes and my hair was always in my eyes, which isn't what you want when you are fighting or being attacked so I decided I would grow it out long enough for a top knot. After the top know I decided to grow it out long enough for a pony tail. Got the pony tail and decided that my goal for now will be APL. I'm having fun with it, glad I started that kung fu class, otherwise I would still have short hair that I may or may not be happy with on any given day.

ptnicole
July 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Long hair as a child and teen. Every time I see my aunt-in-laws amazing long silver hair I am inspired. It just took the committment to NOT mess with it and let it be. Thanks to the support on this forum!

luckyduck
July 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Years and years ago I read a Harlequin Romance novel. The main female character started the story with a really long braid, she of course cut it in the next chapter. It was the image of the long braid that has stuck with me all these years, and although I have strayed several times down the shorter hair style road many times, I always grow it back.

Qwackie
July 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
The fact I'm commonly addressed as a guy, and Gandridel from the Lord of the Rings movies, I've always liked it when women were beautiful yet kind of creepy in some sort of graceful way.
Once I get it to her length, I'm using braid waves to make it like hers.

angel007
July 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
LHC of course. I originally came here for hair care advice, but seeing all those beautiful pictures inspired me to grow out my hair. For me, it's not just the beauty, but all the symbolic meaning that comes with long hair like power, mystique, and femininity.

Peisinoe
August 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I've always had long hair. As a child, that is how my mother wanted it, and now as an adult, I keep it long because I think it is rare for hair to be able to grow long and stay thick and healthy. It feels right. :)

amoredidanza
August 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I've always dreamed of having really really really long hair. When I was little, anytime there was a woman with long hair around, my mom would get my attention and show me, because I always want long hair. I never really did it though, until now, I'm trying. I am starting from scratch basically. I cut off over a foot of dead hair, and now my hair is really short.

shawty
August 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Reason 1. More can be done with long hair. Even though I get more compliments on my hair when it's short, it can be really frustrating to have short hair day in and day out. If your long hair bothers you, you can put it up. If your short hair bothers you... you can sit down and cry.

Reason 2. I like donating to Wigs for Kids, but I don't want to have short hair after every donation. This time, if I'm patient, I can grow it out enough to have a good length left over for me when I chop. =)

little_cherry
August 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Henna inspired me to grow my hair long.. I love how the colour looks, so I wanted to see more of it. Henna improved the condition of my hair so much!

chelseamichelle
August 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
When i was in middle school I let my hair grow to about mid back. I had no goals or interest in long hair--I just felt like letting it grow. I ended up growing tired of it and cut it to about the base of my neck and to my surprise I seriously regretted it (not immediately afterwards mind you). It was something that I had put a lot of thought into, and i really didn't think that I would miss it, in fact i hated having it.

I instantly grew envious of girls with long hair and decided to grow it out again because I missed it so much. Along the way, I started noticing beauty in long hair, I can't really explain why but I just really think it's gorgeous. And another reason would be that no one i know has long hair, everyone has those face framing short cuts, and I suppose I find it different and beautiful..

:)

ghost
August 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Probably fairy tales, but I've always thought that long hair is the most aesthetically pleasing, legends or no legends.
I've always wanted to have Rapunzel/Guenevere/Galadriel/(insert mythical female being here) hair...it's only poor impulse control that has stopped me in the past :p

suffer-cait
August 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM
My aunties had long hair; a biological aunty had hair to her hips and a calabash aunty had hair that i swear swept the ground at one point, right now it's to her calves when in two braids. though she's only like 5feet tall. i first grew it long cause i wanted to be just like the first aunty, but eventually it became a personal goal and i aspired to be as commited as the second aunt. at one point when my mother's friends were cutting each others hair they decided to give me a 'trim' which resulted in APL and bangs. i was nine years old and i think i burst out in tears. since then i've refused to cut my hair except for when i finally learned how to take care of it and grow it properly, at which point i chopped off 9 inches of death.

charalito
August 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
It may sound weird, but I was inspired by my own dreams. Whenever I dream myself pregnant, I have a long thick gorgeous braid. I don't have baby plans or even a boyfriend, but let's start growing that long braid and see the rest of the dream come to life!

buzzlegum
August 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM
LHC inspired me :o

I had long hair before that, but LHC really gave me a push to stick with this goal. The first inspiration though was my best friend when I was about 10. She had beautiful virgin tailbone length at the time. Since then, she's had so many different cuts and coloured her hair in so many different shades that I couldn't name them all. And don't forget straightening irons and hairspray every day...But I don't judge her choices.

christine1989
August 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I wasn't really inspired to start- I just wanted a change from my bobs and pixie cuts. Once I found LHC though I was (and am) constantly inspired by all of the amazing long, beautiful hair. I doubt I would hve been able to get even this far without all of the inspiring pics on here. :)

ldc441
August 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Seeing people with long hair inspired me and i have always wanted long hair even when I was a kid now and I started growing it when I was in 8th grade now I am a sophmore and i love my long hair at APL

.:Alma:.
August 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I had short hair all my life, they where easier and funnier, according to my mother. :)

When I move out to university I started to grow longer, but without a goal. After meeting a couple of long haired woman, I decided to do it right, and I signed up in the Italian Long Hair Forum.

sunrain
August 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I've always had long hair, never shorter than SL. Perhaps this is because I was always surrounded by Asian art, but I find that WL hair has never shocked me. I used to consider anything shorter than BSL to be short, haha. But what really motivated me to grow my hair (and bangs) and start playing with my hair was the Disney film, Pocahontas. I wanted her hair as a kid, so I just continue to let it grow (it was at least WL on me at that age when I got into that phase). These days, I still admire Pocahontas, and I enjoy creating Lord of the Rings-inspired styles. Throw me any painting/artwork of a person with luscious long hair, and I tend to be ogling it! And man, those ancient Japanese ladies really thought that hair longer than you are tall was a sign of great beauty... how right they are!

Though I also have to say, I can't stand the sight of long hair that isn't properly cared for.

leslissocool
August 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
when i was 6 years old, one of my acquired aunts (which also didn't like me very much) came up and touched my hair, saying "wow, how do you get your hair to be that healthy and shiny? you should grow it long!". The truth was, it was winter and i didn't want to spend much time in the shower (i was up in the Alps back then) so i kept my showers about 2 minutes long... which meant i just washed my hair with water and then use soap for the rest, in my mind, that was faster than shampoo/CO (i've always been a lazy kid) lol...

thing is, it was really hard for me to get any complements... between my stepmother and my father, i grew up believing i was really ugly... so i held on to the one thing someone had ever complemented me in... my hair...

then i grew up, became really popular with the boys and forgot about it (bleached it, barely ever brushed it)... then i had twins, and it wrecked my body to the point of having to have plastic surgery (together with a lot of hernia repairs in my abdomen) so hat i can have a normal life again... which i am still waiting to do since my babies are small (i have to wait a year or more anyways)

so i feel like salvaging my hair and let it grow long and luscious is the one thing i have left of my old self... i love my kids, but i have a horrible time trying to deal with how damaged my body was left (It's way worse than most twin moms since i got so sick)

YES!!! omg i was obsessed with Serena (Usagi) even though i am a pisces and doomed to be Sailor Neptune lol... i still watch it!

willowcandra
August 28th, 2010, 01:59 AM
My inspiration was myself. I had long hair as a child and really short hair as a teen and then I just decided that I missed it badly and wanted it again.

naples
August 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
It was already getting pretty long like to my chin or so, and a friend told me i should keep growing it instead of cutting it. She put it in a ponytail (with some fo the bangs behind my ears) and I thought I could handle that for a little while. Its been about a year+ since then and I love it. Though I wear down or in a ponytail mostly I do experiment with it at home and maybe one day will be a little braver.

Razor
August 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
THRASH METAL
:D
At least I think it was that which inspired me :p.

jmarie
August 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
This site!

Since elementary school, my hair has always been between SL and BSL - I've a few pictures of me in the 5th grade with short permed hair, and those always come to mind when I think of cutting my hair any shorter - i.e. not a good look on me at all :)

Even though I've always wanted long hair, I've never gone past BSL - I always thought my hair was too straight and fine to look good any longer, but there are so many people here on this site that have proven me wrong - thank you!

Sagi1982
September 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Don't laugh: my hair stylist moved away, so I thought "Long hair? Why not?" :-)
"Eh, mebbe I can learn how to do a French braid...?!" :-D
"What about a crown braid?" XD
Another crafting medium to me... *lol*

JenniferNoel
September 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
THRASH METAL

You just made me giggle. A close friend of mine was in various metal bands in his life (some of them improvisational) and he had hair to the floor dyed a bunch of different colors. He was like the metal version of cousin Itt. Not only that but once he braided the whole thing (micro rope braids) and it was fantastic.

BranwenWolf
September 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
My long hair was part of me and I didn't really realize until after I cut it. I was happy to try short hair for a bit but my hair did not behave at all when it was short.

I was a longhair for all of my life until age 17, and started non-trimming about two years after that. I came to realize that short hair was not easier and my years as a longhair weren't particularly hard. I'm just used to it.

luxepiggy
September 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Inertia, laziness and a dash of vanity (^(oo)^)v

I've never had anything *but* long hair for all the years that I can remember. At first it was just sheer laziness, not wanting to go to the hairdresser, not wanting to style my hair, etc. Then I hit high school and the boys started oohing & aahing over it . . . later on in college, the girls joined in too.

Now I figure, why mess with a good thing, especially when it's also low-maintenance, cheap and fun to play with? :D

leslissocool
September 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
THRASH METAL

hell yeah!!! metal in general... wanted the ability to do the spiral headbang during slayer :P

horseprincess
September 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Its beautiful!!!

Johanna
September 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
For me it started with a horrible haircut to chin length when I was a kid. Those dredded words from my mum 'Chop it all off'. Never again!
I've always admired old ladies with long long silver hair. It looks so amazing.

When I moved out of home I was pretty broke so haircuts were the first to go. I used to have a tiny plait that I never cut. It was all the way to my belly button when I started contemplating the rest of my hair at that length. I knew I got that tiny little bit that long, so why not the rest?

Nienor (a member here) first got me onto this place. She had amazing classic length hair. I was inspired to grow it long and healthy from there. I'm so happy now. My hair is only an inch away from my original goal length. Now I want more!!

Must has more!

torrilin
September 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't say I was "inspired".

I have the kind of really really straight, very soft, very silky and slithery hair that won't hold a perm or curl from any sort of heat styling. My hair does not "scrunch". My hair often refuses to cooperate with styling product. And it's very fine textured, so it's very floaty and static prone. As a teen, the only way my hair was comfortable was in a ponytail or braid. Not pretty. Not suiting me style wise... Just comfortable enough that I didn't try to scratch my face off or trigger break outs from abusing my skin.

As I got older, I learned to do cinnabuns, then pin curls (ohmighod! curl that sorta stays!), French braids and various half ups. Long hair ended up being comfortable and easy, when nothing else about my hair is. I figured out in my late teens that some of what had driven me mad was things like not using enough conditioner and using a blow dryers, so I gave that up. My hair got easier to deal with.

These days, I really love my hair, but only when it's well past my shoulders. I just cannot cope with it short.

tinti
September 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I've allways wanted really long hair, but Torrin Paige inspired me to get going with her long, fabulous hair and great updos. And now you all are inspiring me even more :D

SgtMomArmy
September 5th, 2010, 12:45 PM
My children. :) They want me to have hair that drags the ground.

Luna Lavender
September 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I've always wanted really long hair, but I gave up and cut it again every time. That was untill I found LHC, you guys are an amazing inspiration. :D

suffer-cait
September 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
vanity, plain and simple. i like to compare my self to sampson or a nazarite. my hair is my power.

luthien_belewen
September 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I had long hair (no higher than shoulder) all my life until about 4 years ago when I cut it short to a pixie with bangs. It was fun for a while, but decided I'm more of a long hair girl. It was hard to get from pixie to where I am now--there was a bit of time when I had a bob style, and I had to keep it looking nice in the awkward stages. I'm now at shoulder length again, growing out the bangs and I'm starting to feel like my old self but in a new way!

TeddyK
September 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I always had wanted to try it and got permission from my wife and went ahead. HAd to get her permission again to keep it though

morecowbell
September 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks to a series of bad decisions, I had to buzz my BSL hair off to 3/4" at 17. I've been trying to get back there since. More bad decisions (perms, hair dye, etc) and cuts to fix those 'decisions' have kept me from growing it back out (I hate to think how long it would be now if I had just let it grow!!! :()
Of course, this was all just a back-of-my-mind, 'someday' goal until I came upon LHC looking for henna recipes! :D
My ultimate length was (in order) BSL (pre-lhc), then Waist (after my first week here), and now I'm shooting for Hip... but I might end up going for Classic! :laugh:

tweegirl
September 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Blythe! Many Blythe dolls have such wonderful, long hair. Here are a couple of my dolls for inspiration :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2776108541_3e49651d70.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2812820436_ca9c12d4eb.jpg

GoddessElppy
September 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Watching "The Mists of Avalon" and other fantasy movies really inspired me . . . that and looking at old high school photos, when my hair was a little longer than BSL. My (ex) best friend's hair was longer than mine and she cut it very short, and it looked super cute on her, but I didn't like is so much when I did it. I miss my really long hair, even though it's SL now, but I can't wait for it to get longer!

I think BSL is my goal as of right now, but I would love to have hair down to my waist!

luthien_belewen
September 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
^ yeah movies like Lord of the Rings with all the beautiful hair!

squiggyflop
September 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
well first it was because i was looking to grow out my dye/bleach damage as fast as possible.. then it was because my hair flips like farrah fawcett's old hairdo when its short (eww).. and then it was cinnamonhair's website.. then i managed to somehow find my way here

Atira
September 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I've always wanted it and never thought I could grow it long! I also love lotr and renaissance looks..

GoddessElppy
September 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
^ yeah movies like Lord of the Rings with all the beautiful hair!

Yeah, I have been watching too many fantasy movies lately, and everyone has long hair, which makes me supremely jealous. I just need to find out more hairstyles to do with mine, and practice doing two braids at night, or else it gets so tangled when I sleep.
Actually, what first inspired me to grow my hair long was the TV show "Ocean Girl", which I watched religiously on Disney when I was in the 5th grade. I wanted to be like Neiri. =)

P.S. What is classic length hair?

MissManda
September 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
P.S. What is classic length hair?

Classic length is where your hair reaches the place where your bottom and legs meet. :)