PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell it's working?

TheLuckyLurker
March 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I decided to try oiling my hair today. I only used two drops; it was still damp from washing and I was thinking leave-in rather than deep treatment. I'll have to wait for it to dry to really tell if it was worth the effort, but what should I be looking for? What are the signs the oil had a positive effect?

Rhiannon7
March 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well depending on what your hair usually feels after washing, the oil you used and how your hair responds to it your hair should be softer. ends less raggedy and damaged feeling/dry feeling. overall it takes a bit longer than 1 oiling to notice much difference.

Waiting for more enlightened and experienced poster to add to this, since i would love to know also.

ladyleelu
March 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
What Rhiannon said! It may take a while for you to get to know how much oil to use as well. Sometimes a couple of drops may be too much, and sometimes a palmful isn't enough. Pay attention to your hair as your smoothing it in, concentrate on those ends and they should be moisturized in no time! :D

Carolyn
March 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Two drops is a good place to start. There is usually a learning curve with oiling. You could have smoother, shinier hair. A little oil will smooth down my fly-aways. It will also help my ends feel less dry.

elina333
March 8th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I dont know what kind of oil you're using but I always put coconut oil in my hair. It makes it fuller, shinier and softer. Works wonders! I use it as a leave in after washing but also as a deep treatment the night before.

countryhopper
March 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM
It seems like my hair feels oily after oiling (maybe a couple drops on damp, washed hair), and the whole next day, it feels...weird. oily.

But by the NEXT day, the oil has completely absorbed, and my hair is soft and fluffy and the ends are completely soft and smooth!

MsBubbles
March 8th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Well I just found out that not oiling my ends at all for 2 months probably caused it to split about 2" up from the ends (about where I gently tie off my braid). So the reassurance you seek may not be obvious. Unless you experiment with one side of your head vs the other, you may never really know! :)

My camellia oil is in the mail...I hope!

TheLuckyLurker
March 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm using jojoba oil; I thought it'd be a good place to start since I already had it and can't afford to go buying stuff just yet.

I guess I'll just have to stick with it for awhile and see. I'm already learning; today I learned that despite how short it is, one drop on dry hair just won't cut it. And I could probably use more than two on wet hair.

redwoman
March 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I use a total of six drops in my dry hair. It makes it shiny, less fly away and smooth. I also like to think it stops breakage. Trial and error will get you where you want to go.

melusine
March 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I don't have anything to contribute but will be subscribing to this thread for ideas- would really like to get into oiling.

barbararla
March 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I put very little coconut oil when my hair is dry (scraping a little with my nail, rubbing between palms and put on my hair). Before I wash I put about a half a teaspoon of coconut oil in my hair and leave it overnight. But then again, I noticed my hair loves oil and moisture. Everyone's hair is different so I say just experiment with the amount of oil you put in and eventually you'll know when your hair is just right. For me it looks like I came out of the hair salon, blow-dried and gelled, it does not feel oily or sticky...just soft and shiny.

adiapalic
March 8th, 2010, 08:23 PM
When I first started, I noticed immediate softening of the hair, especially when I had dry crunchy ends. This was using olive oil.