PDA

View Full Version : Biting my tongue.

Elspeth30
March 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
My daughter decided that she wanted bangs cut into her thick hip length hair. I can do that, of course, but she really wanted "a salon experience."

I advised her to make a sketch and write down exactly what she wanted to show the stylist. She wanted thick bangs cut at eyebrow level. We gave the stylist the drawing and I repeated what she wanted verbally. The stylist proceeded to cut slightly crooked thin bangs about 3/4 inch above eyebrow level. Sigh.

My daughter was not at all displeased, so I kept my mouth shut to keep the experience positive for her. Mentally I was shaking my head ironically and thinking that you would all agree that she definitely got "a salon experience." When her bangs are long enough to trim I will even them out and make them thicker if she wants. This is why I prefer to do things myself.

Carolyn
March 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I think you were a great mom for letting her do what she wants with her hair. If she's happy then it was a positive experience for her. Bangs grow fast. In a month or two you can trim them up and make them straighter. Kudo's to you :flowers:

Rhiannon7
March 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Good for you. letting a little girl experience new things is important and even if you did not like the cut, she liked it and that is the important thing. depending on how fast her hair grows, you can trim them /even them up nicely in one month or two. maybe even less. My niece decided to grow her hair to classic and is doing great, but she wanted bangs (her hair is slightly curly, no actual spirals but they start spiraling at the ends.) she has BSL hair now and she wants hair like her auntie Rhi (long, mine is barely reaching waist) so her mom decided to allow it. (she is extremely active so i taught a few things to my cousin to do with my niece's hair while she does gymnastics and dance.) and her sister (stylist) cut the bangs herself. all are happy.

Just be patient and if you little angel decides she does not like her bangs later you can trim the ends some, short bangs look very cute on little girls. (i just saw this cutie, she had waist length braids on and bangs that were about mid-way between roots and eyebrows and she looked adorable. she looked about 7 yrs. old. )

Elspeth30
March 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Thank you both. As you said, in the end, I am glad she is so pleased with her new look and the bangs will soon be long enough to even up. I just wish people would listen better sometimes.

Rhiannon, how sweet that your niece wants long hair like yours. :)

ladyleelu
March 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
That was very nice of you to let her get that experience and enjoy it :) It's such a big deal at that age!

Growing up, I had very long hair (knee length) and I HATED it (I was a tom-boy) so I begged my mom to let me cut it. Finally, one day, she took me to the salon and let me do as I please. I got it cut to chin length.

She never brought it up until a couple of weeks ago (and it was well over 6 years ago that I got the haircut) and began crying "I am sorry I let you do that, I shouldn't have let you, you're trying so hard to grow it out now.."

But I LOVED it! And it made her so happy to hear that I was HAPPY about the decision I made! It was new, thrilling, exciting.. and it made me feel more feminine too ;)

And true, you can always trim and fix them up later.. :D You're an awesome mom!

florenonite
March 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM
you would all agree that she definitely got "a salon experience."

Really? It's not like any salon experience I've ever had. I've always been perfectly happy with the professional haircuts I've received.

Liluri
March 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Really? It's not like any salon experience I've ever had. I've always been perfectly happy with the professional haircuts I've received.

You might have had the exception and not the rule. I´ve not had, nor heard, many positive experiences at salons.

Merlin
March 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Me too - over the years a number of people have cut both my hair and Mrs Merlin's (in her case fairly drastically a couple of times, including over the years 3 perms). In every case the stylist listened carefully to what we wanted, made intelligent suggestions, then gave us the haircut on which we'd agreed.

Maybe there are professionals, and professionals?

Gypsygirl
March 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I think you were a great mom for letting her do what she wants with her hair.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Angela_Rose
March 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Good on you for letting DD go with her own decision on this one... I'm sorry she got a bad cut, but these things don't matter so much to little ones and I think you handled the situation with aplomb, and that is a good example to set for DD.

In the future, now she knows what having bangs is like and you can probably take her haircuts in your own hands... or at least don't bring her back to the same hairdresser who screwed her bangs up in the first place!

SHELIAANN1969
March 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Starting when I was 9 years old, it seemed that no one could cut my hair correctly and it ended up shorter, and shorter until it ended up boy short and ugly. I have school pics when I was 9 and I am still upset about that pic to this day, it is ugly, horrible and I hate those pictures.

I have been to many hair salons during my lifetime and very rarely did I ever get a decent cut. Even at 30, when I was in California, for some oddball reason the stylists wanted to cut my hair short in the back and give me a poof in the front. No clue why, I wouldn't wear that style in this lifetime.

I finally started cutting my own hair and kept it short, it was tricky but it looked better than the salons were doing.

And then I started letting it grow and found TLHC. :inlove: :crush: :heartbeat

You might have had the exception and not the rule. I´ve not had, nor heard, many positive experiences at salons.