PDA

View Full Version : Shall I give up or is there hope?

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hi guys. Fairly new to this forum so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place and feel free to move my post......:)

Firstly, prior to joing LHC I was a serial hair abuser. Bleaching routes every month, dying, flat ironing (no protection), no DTs I could go .....:(

For 6 months I have stopped bleaching in favour of Henna, I do twice weekly DT's (now discovered SMTs), I S&D every day. I only flat iron my fringe, but still do occassionally do my whole head with protection. My hair looks so shiny and lovely and I do get compliments but on close inspection (usually when I'm S&Ding) its a broken mess. Every strand is a different length. Its full of the dreaded white blobs, I think I have S&D everyone but the next day I have more! I can see where my healthy hair finishes and my bleached mess starts (6 months worth of growth).

Should I keep up with my regimen, or give up and have a short crop (:(). At what point do we give in to all the orginal abuse and start a fresh? Is there any hope for me?

Thank you in advance.

countryhopper
March 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Welcome!

there is a great article about growing out damaged hair if you look under the articles section at the top of the page. It can give you some great advice.

How high up are the white dots? You can try trimming 1/4 inch a month or less so that you're still gaining length every month but slowly cutting out the damage.

Happy growing!

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Ah, excellent. Thank you. I had never noticed the articles before. What an amazing website!

My white dots are both near the ends and also a few inches up. I have no split ends! Amazing. My new growth is perfect and have never seen any damage above ear length. It is better though as I decided to stop bleaching when I would leave an alarming dusting of hair all over every time I brushed it or styled it. I don't get that anymore and don't notice it in the shower either. I don't get the "chemical" hair cuts anymore either. Thank goodness.

I went to the hairdressers in December, to have just a trim. She suggested having the whole lot chopped but I wouldn't let her. I just let her even up the ends.

Ursula
March 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Every strand being a different length is normal - it is the natural result of the shed/regrowth cycle that hair has. So I wouldn't recommend using that as a measure of damage.

If you want long hair, getting a "short crop" won't help much. If you do any cutting, I suggest that you learn to self-trim, so you can control how much is cut, and if you decide to to a larger cut to get rid of more of the damage, get a blunt cut so it will grow out evenly, rather than anything that will result in having to grow out layers.

Often a small cut (an inch or two) can make a difference with how damaged hair behaves.

It may also be worth easing up on the S&D. Constantly inspecting your hair for damage is a certain way to end up frustrated. "Put it up and forget it" may be your best bet, in terms of being happy with your hair.

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Ursula, thank you, thank you. Thats just what I wanted to hear. I'm normal! I think I may be scrutinizing my hair too much as when I show friends they don't see it. In fact they say my looks the best it ever has. I tie my hair up everday using a cut up pair of tights!! I will continue to keep growing and I'm happy to self trim ( a bit tricky at the back but my mums pretty handy with the scirrors).

Thanks again.

Sweetness
March 7th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Always look at the progress made and keep doing the good things you started doing.

If you think cutting is needed, start with a small inch and wait 2 weeks to decide if you should cut more or if you actually feel your hair happy enough as it is.

Happy growing and welcome (:

barbararla
March 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM
My hair was the same before. I just cut the damaged part. My hair always got damaged past the bra-line. I didn't know you can still grow out damaged hair. This time I'm growing out my hair with LHC knowledge and I'm noticing I don't have any split ends or damage so far. Coconut oil helped me a lot, I don't know if it'll work for you or not. I started beginning Feb. and I just trimmed my hair less than half an inch (dusting). S&D seems like a tedious task for me. I tried it I didn't see anything. I'd rather just trim every now and then.

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you

Sweetness - thats right. My hair is actually appearing to grow now. It was getting shorter and shorter on its own account :eek:. So I know its progress in the right direction. I have some very quality scissors and think self trimming is the way to go. I mentioned dusting/micro trimming to a hairdresser once and she looked completely blank.......:rolleyes:

Barbararla - I LOVE coconut oil. I use it for just about everything. I particularly like using it as a prewash. I find its very good before CO washing too, it seems to come out a dream. Can't use it as a leave in though as it goes a bit crunchy on my ends :confused: I always found that a bit strange.

Well - hopefully I will be shoulder length by Christmas. Feel much better now. Thank you. :poot:

Leena7
March 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I vote for slowly trimming out the damage while babying your hair. That's what I'm doing.

Sweetness
March 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I'm doing as Leena7 said too (:

and you can always show us before / after pics too... I know I'm not the only one who loves seing pics of hair getting healthier, and the comments can be very encouraging :p (only if you want to show us, of course !)

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Sweetness. I am working on it. Technology isn't my strong point, neighther is photography! Watch this space......

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
....Sorry about my typos... I try to post in a hurry without my glasses.....can you not edit posts?

GoddesJourney
March 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I say go with your routine and just wait it all out. You will slowly but surely watch your nice hair grow out to where you can see it better and then slowly become a third, then half, then two thirds, then all of your hair. Don't do any major chops unless the healthy part is at least 3/4 of your hair. Microtrims might help you deal with velcroness. I'm guessing your hair is around collarbone right now, which is a terrible time for a chop because it will put you into uncomfortable lengths that have no potential for updos. You seem to be aiming for BSL, so maybe if you just wait about four more inches or so and then maintain at APL until you feel better about your hair? Then you can be much happier growing it out further.

ETA: As long as you're doing CO, I would suggest buying a good conditioner that will help you lay down some of those flyaways. Trade the money you would be paying the hairdresser for a good conditioner with shea butter and minimal ingredients. You may be pleasantly surprised and you can avoid a lot of trims. I tried this leave in conditioner from Alaffia yesterday as a CO conditioner and it was amazing. It's Shea and Virgin Coconut Enriching Hair Lotion from Alaffia. I bought it for my husbands curls but I borrowed some for me :D

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you GoddesJourney

Yes my hair is just touching collar bone. I started with a jaw length bob when I initially cut off some of my chemical hair cut. It was really hard as I had to flat iron it for it to look nice. Vicious circle. When it got to a length when I could tie it back it was a lot easier. It also naturally straightens my hair when I tied it back slightly damp.

I haven't been to Hdressers since Novemember and am trying to avoid them. My usual hairdress got me into flat ironing (she told me it seals in moisture and is good for my hair). She persuaded me to have highlights as she said my hair was dull and would make it look healthy. Aaagh. Anyway, if I can take a bit of control back with self trims and good products that would be great.

Gosh, I thought you would all say I need to have it chopped and start again. I feel so much better. Have done SMT tonight and it feels great.:)

The article about damaged hair was brilliant btw. Very interesting.

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Goddesjourney, forgot to say our dogs could be twins. It shocked me to see your pictures I thought it was a picture of my dog!