PDA

View Full Version : Straight or Wavy?

julliams
March 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I just posted this in another thread but thought it might be interesting for others to see.

History - Joined LHC September 2009. Gave up the straightener (was using twice a week at 210 degrees).

Ok, so after 6 months of not using my straightener, I decided to go ahead and straighten it just to see how it looked and how much extra length I would get. I decided that since I didn't have heat protectant, I would use the straightener at 80 degrees (the lowest setting).

Well, the good news is that the lower setting straightened my hair in just the same way and for the same time (around 15 min) BUT I didn't like the results. My hair doesn't look smooth and silky like my brain remembers it was and I actually think it looks better wavy.

Also I didn't get any extra length which really surprised me.

So here are the pics - the first is my air dried hair March 3rd, the second is heat straightened on the night of March 4th.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4413641392_eb867cf064.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2678/4413641240_1a7c782462.jpg

serious
March 7th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Don't mind me saying, I think your hair looks way better just air dried, your waves are beautiful!

Arctic
March 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Arctic whispers: Are you asking for feedback which looks better?

jasper
March 7th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I think your hair looks happier with the waves, if that makes any sense. Do you have a bit of layering near the ends? Maybe layered ends are what keep the hair from looking so smooth as you remember when it's straightened-

I like your waves and how even and all-over they look- wish mine would do that!

julliams
March 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hi Arctic - Not really looking for opinons per se. I personally think it looks better wavy but once, just a short time ago I thought it looked better straight. Just thought it might be interesting for anyone who has been looking longingly at their straightener wondering if they should give it another go.

I think my perception of hair has changed since LHC so really it's just a "hey check this out" rather than wanting/needing opinions. I realise my title suggests that I'm asking but I really just meant it as an age old question if that makes sense.

julliams
March 7th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks Jasper. Yes I have a tonne of layering from about shoulder length down. I'd kind of forgotton how much layering there is and i think you are right, the layers keep it from looking as smooth as I remember.

chopandchange
March 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Thank you for reminding me why it's not worth straightening my hair! :)

aney
March 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Wow you have beautiful hair! The wavy photo looks way more shiny and healthy. Great inspiration for not straightening hair.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 7th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I'm gonna join the majority and vote for the waves. My hair looks exactly the same when straightened; frizzy-straight and dull :(

It only gets silky straight if you use a hardcore flatiron at a high setting.

Pixna
March 7th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I know you're not looking for opinions, but if you post it, we won't be able to help ourselves! :smirk:

I, too, am surprised that you didn't gain any length with straightening. Your hair looks SO much better (healthier and shinier) with your natural waves. The difference is startling!

Little_Bird
March 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Yes, I agree that the waves are beautyfull and looks much better than the straightened version... It's awesome that you like it better that way too! You can ditch the flat iron! YAY! :D You've got beautyfull wavy hair :flower:

JenniferNoel
March 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Your hair looks marvelous air dried and wavy!
Straight doesn't actually look that good next to the waves (I know, brutally honest here :p), and it's sorta weird that you didn't gain nay length with it straighter.

wishbone
March 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Going to go with the majority and say yes to the waves, it looks so much smoother and healthier that way!

Though about not gaining much length, it looks like your ends are flicking out in the "straight" picture, maybe thats why it doesn't look like its longer?

Suszi
March 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I love your hair! Your natural (wavy) hair looks awesome! :D

Sweetness
March 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I agree !! BEAUTIFUL in the natural air dry pic !

Maybe the souvenir of "silky strait" hair was because your hair is now - generally - healthier than ever ?

I know it would be the case for me. Before, I was either a frizz ball of curls or had a (very temporary) strait "soft" siliconed hair.

But now that I know how soft and happy my hair can really be in it's natural state, and without the frizz, the flat-iron would probably feel very deceiving. Thank you for the reminder not to straiten it (:

Carolyn
March 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I'm a big fan of straight hair but I have to say yours looks so much nicer and healther with your air dried waves.

Sissy
March 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
hey, it's great to discover that your waves look great, even better than your old routine of straightening. It means easier hair care for the future... no more messing with straightening irons :cheese: Tis a habit I gave up too.

Kristin
March 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I echo what everyone else has said: Waves look awesome.:) I straightened my hair the other day after swearing off the flat iron for about 6 months. It looked awful- a dry mess. Not nearly as soft and shiny as I remembered it either. I think after being at LHC, or just babying hair in general, we learn to appreciate our hair in it's natural state. Or, for me, with pretty bun waves. :)

DizzyFairy
March 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have to agree with everyone. You have beautiful hair and the air dryed curls look great. I wish my hair would dry like that!

Blueneko
March 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Waves! Shinier and thicker with the appearance of being longer.

aef231
March 7th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'm falling in line wit pretty much everyone else... your waves are so beautiful, seems almost like a waste not to wear them! So few people have natural waves that look THAT good.

HintOfMint
March 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM
It looks INFINITELY better wavy. Quite lovely, in fact.

As to the mystery as to why you didn't gain length by straightening:

I see you have layers. I have to ask, is the bottom layer (the chunk of hair growing from your nape) straighter, or not as wavy as the rest? And from what I see, that layer is the longest you have. If that's the case, then when wavy or straightened, the overall length isn't going to change, because you didn't straighten out any waves in your longest layer, if that makes any sense. If your longest layer is just as wavy as the rest, then I'll join the rest in saying, I'm stumped.

julliams
March 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
HintOfMint - I think you nailed it - I think that is exactly what's happening here. When I was actually in the process of straightening I remember showing my husband the different between the wavy and straight hair which was about 2 inches or so.

So yes, I think it's because the "nape hair" which is the longest layer is just not as curly as the rest of it.

Thanks guys. It really was just a "hey look at this" post. It's clarified for me that I don't need to straighten my hair. I used to think it just looked better but now I can see that it actually doesn't and to be honest, I don't identify myself with the straight haired picture anymore.

I know my hair looks lighter in the straight pic but it's because of the overhead lighting and the flash.

Juliette

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM
As I recall the physics of hair-straightening as it was told to me, anything below 180C/350F just dries and frizzes your hair - heating it without straightening it. Above that temp, and you get enough heat to flatten the hair shaft with one or two swipes of the iron. Anything below and you'd have to iron repeatedly to get a semblance of straightness, but at the same time, you'd be frying it up into a frizzle, foiling your own efforts.

This is contrary to what some say, that fine or damaged hair shouldn't be straightened higher than 80C/170F... But it might explain why your hair didn't straighten at 80C like it used to when you were straightening regularly. Also, it seems that straightening is cumulative, so that regular straightening (weekly at least) gives more results and faster than one-off straightening - maybe that had some bearing on it?

You're lucky to have pretty, defined waves - I'm envious. :) I have frizz and fluff and thick bouffy waves that make me feel like a mad cross between Farrah Fawcett and Hermione Granger...

CuddlyChicken
March 8th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Can I have your waves please? :D

No seriously, they look awesome. I hope you don't mind me saying this but your hair looks rather frizzy and unhealthy when straightened. You should use your pictures to show people how awesome hair can look when it's not tortured ;)

julliams
March 8th, 2010, 02:41 AM
No offense taken - I happily agree. I think if I'd used the straightener at super high heat and then finished off with pure silicone (as I used to) it would have looked more like it did when I was straightening it more regularly.

bumblebums
March 8th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Your waves look beautiful, and to me, your hair looks slightly longer in the wavy picture. Which makes no sense, but there it is.

Also, I know you didn't ask for hair typing help, but the wavy pic looks like a 2c to me (and your signature picture, too). I see definite spirals.

Simple
March 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I think one has to stick to the nature of the hair. God created every part of the body to go with the other. The nature of hair goes well with the shape of the head and the whole body. So if the nature of your hair is beautifully curly, then be proud of it! straight-haired pay money to look like you!! :)