PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

wahmof9
March 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I have been shedding a lot all winter. I suspect either a thyroid or adrenal fatigue issue. I had 2 1/2 cir. when I started LHC last March. I went to a 2 3/4 in the spring....then today between 2 1/4 or less.

I am sure I am not the first one with this issue. Can someone give me advice? It will takes years to repair this right?

I never thought I could grow long hair and for the first time in 30 years thanks to this place my hair is healthy, no splits and long hair is a possibility....but will it happen if I shed like this? Should I cut my hair? Should I keep growing? Any advice is appreciated!

christine1989
March 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
If you suspect it could be a thyroid problem then you should get to an endrocrinologist to check that out but since the shedding sounds pretty minimal it may be a nutritional imbalance or just naturally occuring shedding. Thyroid issues generally come with a change of hair texture too so that is something to watch for. To thicken my hair quickly I gave biotin a try and got fantastic results so if the cause is not a medical issue I highly reccomend picking up some biotin :)

GoddesJourney
March 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Keep growing. Even a small trim would make a big difference, just take off the straggliest part. Anyway, just try to correct the source of the problem.

wahmof9
March 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
anyone else?

hennared
March 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm on your page .. but I'm not sure I can help. I can definitely commiserate, though!!!

In March 08 I noticed excessive shedding happening... and I typically shed a lot to start with, but it was a definite difference.. Which got worse over the months that followed. By that following July, I'd realized I'd lost nearly 40% of my ponytail circumference! My shedding went on a long time, only getting mostly normal this November. Right now I seem to have some regrowth at the temples and bangs, so I am a bit hopeful whatever it is that caused my loss is straightening itself out.. maybe.

I suspect thyroid issues being at least part of the cause for me. My bloodwork the doctors all say is 'normal'; but all my thyroid values are low normal. I began self-treating with iodoral (an iodine supplement) and w/in two months of doing that consistently, my shedding slowed way down. Iodoral is kind of strong, but I had tried supplementing with everything else under the sun, and only the iodoral consistently corellated with reduced shedding - for *me*. And I started out with it slowly (taking half tablets, etc)

All my bloodwork (done multiple times reviewed by a few docs, including an endo) came back 'normal' for me. My progesterone is quite low, and I wondered about being near perimenopause, and tha tbeing my hair loss trigger. But my Gyn says she does not believe that's my issue, since my .. er.. female tissues seem that of a fertile woman, and my estrogen is normal level.

So.. the important thing, I think, is to get some bloodwork and rule out what you can. The docs may well tell you everything is normal, or that 'it's only hair' (I had one doctor tell me 'what's your problem, you still have more hair than me' (!!).) OR tell you 'it's old age' or 'it's genetic; sorry'. But they can most certainly be wrong.. and you will have to be your own detective.

my hair, btw, would also never grow long til I came 'here'. Then I got it to 24" long.. and then a year later, started losing it! I have done two chops of my hair in hair loss frustration, and regretted it both times. I'm at about 19" now, and I intend to grow it as long as I can, again, d@mn the thinness.

You have my understanding and support!